Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about paper

I have been hearing that 6x6 paper packs are perfect for card making. I don't understand how, seems like lots of wasted paper. I would love to be wrong as I have some 6x6 paper packs and would like to use them.

Please share.

Thanks.

Trish
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #2  
neglecting the kids and housework

Well I'll say that Basic Grey 6x6 prints are scaled smaller, not sure about other companies. So that's a huge factor for me in cardmaking. Some 12x12 papers tho gorgeous dont' translate into cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

That I totally get. some 12x12 papers are perfect for scrapbooking, but too big for a card.

Just not sure the 6x6 size is handy for cards.

Trish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Well.. either way you look at it there's going to be wastage. If you have a 12x12 piece of paper and are cutting out pieces that fit either a 5x5 card base OR a 4.25/5.5 you're going to have a few inches (2x12 or 3.5x1 respectively) of wasted paper. With a 6x6 piece you cut off either 1 inch from either side, or .5 inches and 1.75. That's a heck of a lot less wasted paper.. And that's only if you cover your whole card with patterned paper.

I never do that. I'm always cutting off pieces like 2x4 or 4.75x3.5 and I'll have a LOT of 12x12 paper left over to make a whole bunch of different designs. This is good and bad. I don't use scraps as often as I should and if I've used a 12x12 piece i usually end up with a lot of unused scraps that pile up! If I'm using a piece of paper from a 6x6 pack I generally don't have a lot of scraps. YAY!

ps.. i use both indiscriminately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I buy 6x6 packs just because there are some company designs I love but I always have a lot of scraps.

I have read about people cutting all their 12x12 into 6x6 and I just don't see the benefit. I don't cut paper until I'm ready to use it to minimize waste.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Well, you can make 6 x 6 square cards though they cost more to mail. And I've usually had to make my own envelopes for them.

Also, if you have the 6x6 paper and the design is scaled smaller which is better for cards as already mentioned....you can cut it in smaller pieces to create layers on your card fronts. As long as you go with 2 x 3 or 3 x 3 or something that divides evenly into six you shouldn't have any waste!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Smaller scale and more variety for the cost. For example: You pay $1 a sheet or more for a 12x12 sheet of patterned paper and if you want the whole line you pay $15-20 for a collection pack. You get typically every print in a line ins a pad which means as many as 36 sheets in 12-18 patterns in a pad for $6. If I am just using it for cards I'd rather have more variety for less money. I can get 3 paper pads (meaning 3 different lines) for the price of 1 collection pack (12x12 papers of one line)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Okay, that is making sense. I did forget to mention that I sell most of my cards, so I usually make 4 to 6 of the same card when I make one, so 12x12 is great for that. I can get 6 pieces from 1 sheet if I am cutting it 4 x 5.25.

I have passed up some 6x6 paper packs because I didn't think it made sense to use for cards and have not used the ones I have for the same reason. You guys are changing my mind. ;)

Trish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

the scale thing doesn't work for DCWV. I recently remembered people saying 8x8 and 6x6 pads have a smaller scale, so I found a little pad in my paper stack and picked one to use. When I went over to the cutter to cut it, I found a slice of a 12x12 I had used the day before - the exact same pattern, the exact same size.

anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheckerView Post
the scale thing doesn't work for DCWV. I recently remembered people saying 8x8 and 6x6 pads have a smaller scale, so I found a little pad in my paper stack and picked one to use. When I went over to the cutter to cut it, I found a slice of a 12x12 I had used the day before - the exact same pattern, the exact same size.

anne

Yes, unfortunately not every company scales down their patterns for the smaller size paper packs. Maybe if us crafters make some noise the ones who don't will get on the bandwagon and realize there is a market out here among card makers for scaled down patterns!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

It's so funny this topic came up, I was at the store yesterday buying some not need paper and was looking at 6x6 pads and didn't buy it because I thought I get so much more from 12x12. BUT I did like that some paper packs were scaled down so I can see the appeal. I do have a little bit of everything but definitely lean towards the 12x12.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

I bought several 6x6 pads of paper and found I hated using them. I like to make 6-8 cards at a time. With the 6x6 sheets I could only make 2 at a time unless I bought several of the same pads. I found it was better for me to use 12x12 paper and just be discriminating on what patterns I chose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

I like the smaller scale prints of certain brands (e.g. Basic Grey) in the 6 x 6 but with other brands (e.g. Crate Paper) they are full scale and you get many duplicates of the same paper. Therefore it's just as cost effective to buy the 12 x 12 sheets.

I also found with the Crate 6 x 6 pads that it's almost like you get the scraps of the big sheets and you don't get the full pattern that you would if you bought the big sheets (hope this makes sense)

I'm also a scrapbooker so buying the 12 x 12 gives more options but also still buy and use a lot of the 6 x 6 just for cardmaking especially with lines that I might not use for scrapping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2011, 05:13 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

I've used the DCWV mat stacks for cards. I also use my scraps from scrapbook layouts. Since I don't use a lot of patterned paper on my cards (I prefer to stamp or emboss my backgrounds), this usually works best for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can also use the mat stacks for cards. They're usually scaled down and/or co-ordinated to the paper lines. There is very little waste if your using a piece for your entire card front. Most mat stacks are 4.5" x 6.5" and I have seen some that are 5.5" x 7.5". I also like to get the packages of solid mat stacks and make little note cards from them. Just score and fold in half and you have a perfect base for little cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

DCWV "Linen Closet" is scaled down from their 12x12 pack, but it isn't 6x6. It's 4.5 x 6.5. I love that mat stack so much I bought a second. Only mat stack I didn't regret buying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
DCWV "Linen Closet" is scaled down from their 12x12 pack, but it isn't 6x6. It's 4.5 x 6.5. I love that mat stack so much I bought a second. Only mat stack I didn't regret buying!
I love the DCWV mat stacks. I haven't bought any in a while. I'm still working on using up the Citrus one and I have a couple more I can't find at the moment...
Reply With Quote Likes