Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Purple tape?

So ... those of you who use this, do you buy it from the craft stores or is this a product available cheaper at a big box store? Is it really just a low tack painters tape?

I've been away from paper crafting for a while and things have changed while I was gone LOL!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2020, 05:23 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Purple tape is definitely marketed to the crafting industry.  As such, it seems to me like the price is inflated.  I have it and use it, and it works as advertised. 

As for whether or not "frog tape" or "yellow tape" or "blue tape" or other delicate surface/low tack tapes differ from it or not, I haven't tried them all. I've used the blue tape to hold my dies and it sticks to the paper more than I would like after running thru my die cutter. Blue tape comes off my watercolor paper better than regular masking tape. 

There seems to be "low tack" ratings for a certain number of days, and that applies to the time that the tape can stay on the wall without leaving a residue of adhesive.  So it really isn't more or less sticky.  "Delicate surface" may mean it isn't as sticky, but I just noticed that they make that type this morning.

I do know that you can reduce the stickiness by putting the masking tape on your jeans before applying to the paper and it reduces its stickiness.  I just forget to do that!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 07:54 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've tried blue painter's tape because I didn't want to pay the mark-up just because I'd rather spend my crafting $$ in other ways.  What I discovered is that there is a difference.  With the blue tape, no matter how many times I rubbed it on my clothes before using, it inevitably tore the cardstock (and I'm talking heavy-weight CS like PTI and Gina K).  This happened with die cutting (using to keep die in place) and other uses (lining up die cut letters to ensure even spacing, etc.).  
I bit the bullet and ordered the purple tape - it is simply much lower tackiness such that CS doesn't tear.  
This is just my experience - I'm sure that there are others that get a great result with blue painters tape or other options.  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2020, 09:33 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have tried the purple painters tape and it tore my cardstock as well.
Now I just use my less "favorable" washi tape. Works like a charm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2020, 04:15 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I use washi tape to keep my dies in place while running them through my machines.  I find that it works really well and doesn't rip my cardstock.  I've also used blue painter's tape and other types of masking tape with good results, but they do rip my cardstock occasionally. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2020, 04:48 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Blue painters tape is the most sticky. In the Frog Tape brand, there’s blue, green (middle tackiness) and yellow - the least sticky, which I use for watercolor paper. Care still needs to be taken when removing - pulling it back very close to itself, rather than pulling up in the air away from the card. 

For dies I use washi tape - some rolls are less sticky than others - or slightly unstickify it by sticking it to my jeans or arms first. But often tape is not needed. Usually I stick it on the die (of course) and outside the actual die cut. 
People commenting in a weekly live youtube video chat have reported the newer version of Purple Tape isn’t sticky enough. I only have an original version and forget to use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2020, 06:48 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,738 Likes on 1,856 Posts

I caved and bought purple tape in the newest version.  It is NOT sticky and really does NOT hold anything.  I have resorted to using washi and blue painters tape which I run over my clothing multiple times to get it less sticky.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2020, 06:11 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Blue painters tape is the most sticky. In the Frog Tape brand, there’s blue, green (middle tackiness) and yellow - the least sticky, which I use for watercolor paper. Care still needs to be taken when removing - pulling it back very close to itself, rather than pulling up in the air away from the card. 
I've never used the purple tape myself, but I have been quite pleased with the Frog tape in YELLOW.
My journey has been: masking tape tap-tap-tapped on clothes, blue painters tape (still needed tapping), and now yellow Frog tape. I'm finally happy with the results, both in terms of tack and preventing bleed.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2020, 10:27 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I use the blue painters tape and have not had a problem.  I remove it with care
and no paper tearing yet.  have not tried any of the others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2020, 04:36 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I have low tack 3M blue painter's tape that works perfectly. I don't think they make it anymore and the new version is a dust pink for 'delicate' surfaces.

Robin

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 08:18 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purple tape not sticky enough.

I finally bought purple tape. It has flowers on it so I suppose it is the newest version and it won’t stay stuck to anything. I thought I’d try again in the winter when it is less humid but we have a dehumidifier close to my craft area so it shouldn’t be a problem. Very disappointed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 08:20 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Purple Tape

I decided I was not willing to pay the price for this.  Mainly, because as people have already said, the minute something is marketed to crafters the price skyrockets.  

I found a Scotch product on Amazon quite by accident that I really like.
It is Low Tack Artist Tape and comes in one of those little dispensers like regular Scotch tape.  I find I can use several times, especially for holding dies in place before I have to use a new piece.  HTH. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

So glad to read this because I was disappointed in the new purple tape also. It doesn’t help with die cutting at all, none of my dies were held down.  I have a roll of masking tape that works fine, going back to that.  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 09:39 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I see scrapbook.com is offering their own low-tack mint tape. No idea if it's really cheaper than the purple stuff or any better.

I make a point of not putting tape on anything I want to use. I haven't had issues with tearing, but a layer of adhesive on an inkjet print or reflective cardstock is a loser. I notice that as I reuse it, it can get stickier. (I usually use washi or removeable scotch tape, but I also have blue painter's tape and the original purple tape.)

If I were doing watercolor taping, I might try heating the tape a bit right before removing it, as heat seems to loosen adhesives up a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I use full adhesive post it notes. I buy the package of four small square pads, I tear a piece off to hold dies or cardstock. It has never torn the cardstock and is reusable many times. I buy the larger pad to stamp on for masking, the image then is kept with the stamp set. I even keep a small torn off piece in my Stamparatus to hold my cardstock down. A package has lasted two years and I use it lots!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynkimView Post
I use full adhesive post it notes. I buy the package of four small square pads, I tear a piece off to hold dies or cardstock. It has never torn the cardstock and is reusable many times. I buy the larger pad to stamp on for masking, the image then is kept with the stamp set. I even keep a small torn off piece in my Stamparatus to hold my cardstock down. A package has lasted two years and I use it lots!

Good reminder. I like those too for masking, just not for water based techniques or watercoloring unless a small amount of water is used.

I use 1” and 2” wide Post-It tape for masking off areas I don’t want to blend on and for masking parts of stamps. Just used it yesterday for a DTGD card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

Received 51 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Paper Tape Found in the First Aid Department

I use “paper tape” found in the first aid section of the drug store or big box store.  Works like a charm and is inexpensive.  Brand names differ- I am currently using  3M brand which they call Micropore.  I got a box of 12 rolls on sale; I usually use a generic brand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Default Purple tape

I have been using 3M Scotch REMOVABLE tape.  You want the one in the blue box.  Was recommended by JohnNextDoor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

I bought Scotch Purple tape for delicate surfaces but after started using it I discovered it was medium strength. i an loosen the grip by taping it on my hand. Unfortunately it leaves a residue on the paper.  It was expensive so I'm stuck with it. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 02:32 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Name or cheap brand blue painters tape has worked for me for years. I have 2 rolls of the 'original' purple tape left. The "new" version is totally a waste of money and time. I have to burnish the 'new' tape to my scanncut mat to make it barely work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #21  
Glitter Queen

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I've never used the craft purple tape because of the price point. I really like to use the yellow painter's tape for just about everything. When I need a stronger hold (taping paper to a hardboard for water coloring) I use the green painter's tape and when taking it off I make sure to pull it to the side and away from the paper slowly. I rarely ever have any tearing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 769 Likes on 554 Posts

I have been happy with the Frog tape in YELLOW .... but I also tap the piece of tape on my arm a couple of times first before using it to doubly ensure that it will come off the card stock cleanly.  I use each piece of tape several times before I need to replace it with another piece and it consistently holds well and doesn't tear the card stock.

God demonstrated His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us ... being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. Romans 5:8 & 9

https://www.chemoangels.com/

https://www.intercessors.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 04:38 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I liked the original version of the purple tape. It never seemed to pull up any of the paper and I could use it over and over. I used my first roll for well over a year. Then... they came out with the tape that doesn't stick to itself!! I can sort of get the new version to stick one time, but it really doesn't stick, even to itself - sticky side to sticky side, afterwards! So, I am back to the roll of blue tape I have. When it is gone, maybe I will try the yellow Frog tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 04:57 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Scrapbook.com just came out with their version of purple tape called Mint tape
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 04:59 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by #1AuntView Post
I liked the original version of the purple tape. It never seemed to pull up any of the paper and I could use it over and over. I used my first roll for well over a year. Then... they came out with the tape that doesn't stick to itself!! I can sort of get the new version to stick one time, but it really doesn't stick, even to itself - sticky side to sticky side, afterwards! So, I am back to the roll of blue tape I have. When it is gone, maybe I will try the yellow Frog tape.
I do not like the new version of Purple tape at all, I wrote Thermoweb and they have no plans to bring back the original, so I will use my blue painters tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 06:00 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to you all for the input!  Perhaps I'll dig out my never-used washi tape and use that.  Blue painters tape occasionally does cause a blemish on my cardstock, that's why I was curious about the purple.  But I'll save my money and use what I have!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

I was using Scotch Low Tack tape but it falls apart quickly. I saw someone on YouTube use Post It flags. They haven’t damaged my paper, hold dies well, don’t fall apart with multiple uses and they have a colored end with no adhesive which I can hold to remove them easily. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2020, 04:47 PM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I had originally followed Jen McGuire and got a bunch of micropore tape. It's ok. 
I need to use that up. Otherwise I use tapped off washi. 

Yes I think the purple is gimmick. It may work but not for that price for me. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2020, 07:17 PM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I had originally followed Jen McGuire and got a bunch of micropore tape. It's ok. 
I need to use that up. Otherwise I use tapped off washi. 

Yes I think the purple is gimmick. It may work but not for that price for me. 

So is the micropore tape not all that wonderful? I had considered getting some of that when my 25 year supply of yellow painter's tape dwindles down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2020, 01:58 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by tawna21View Post

So is the micropore tape not all that wonderful? I had considered getting some of that when my 25 year supply of yellow painter's tape dwindles down.

It works fine. I had some in 1”. Just personal preference
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Yes it is fine. I would not press it super hard. I have no idea how it will behave on glossy paper or vellum though. 

I think that might be one of the problems. For years we never used tape for dies. I still don't a lot of the time unless I need a very particular placement or I am doing multiple dies at one time. I am wondering if people are not pressing it down too hard and that contributes to paper peeling? 

Quote:

Originally Posted by tawna21View Post

Reply With Quote Likes