Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Punches

Can someone tell me just what we are supossed to be able to cut with punches?:twisted:

It seems like each punch is different.

I have some that can only cut very thin paper, like computer printer paper, so they work for patterned paper. Others will cut through card stock but only certain thicknesses. Still others will cut through heavy card stock.

What is the use of buying these if they do not cut all paper or at least come with some sort of label telling what they cut?

I have a Fiskars border punch that I never use because I am not strong enough. Even my husband can't get it through thin card stock! It's totally useless.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I am so sorry, it sounds like you've landed in PUNCH AMBIGUITY LAND. You may wonder around and talk to others that have similar punches but you will never know if it works for yours till you try it out.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstfrommiView Post
I am so sorry, it sounds like you've landed in PUNCH AMBIGUITY LAND. You may wonder around and talk to others that have similar punches but you will never know if it works for yours till you try it out.
Which basically means, it is hit and miss and possible money wasted.:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Have you tried sharpening it by punching tin foil? That may help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Cool What Kind???

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitty14View Post
Can someone tell me just what we are supossed to be able to cut with punches?:twisted:

I have some that can only cut very thin paper, like computer printer paper, so they work for patterned paper. Others will cut through card stock but only certain thicknesses. Still others will cut through heavy card stock.

What is the use of buying these if they do not cut all paper or at least come with some sort of label telling what they cut?

I have a Fiskars border punch that I never use because I am not strong enough. Even my husband can't get it through thin card stock! It's totally useless.

Now if these are SU punches then I would suggest Cutting tin foil a few times and even if you have coke cans around cut them open and cut the tin w/your stamps

After that I would say get the wax paper out and cut a bunch of stuff up.

so your sharpening w/the tin foil / coke can and then Lubing the stamp with the wax paper.

My best guess
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Yep, a real bummer, but don't let it beat you. Here and here are examples of how I used border punches. HTH! May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

They are from various companies and I have tried sharpening with foil and wax paper.

Some of the designs available are beautiful, that's why I ( and others ) buy them. But sooooo many times we are just disappointed.:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

They are from various companies and I have tried sharpening with foil and wax paper.

Some of the designs available are beautiful, that's why I ( and others ) buy them. But sooooo many times we are just disappointed.:(
Yes your all too right. One of the best reasons I stay w/SU I can call up and say its not working right and they send one right out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 05:15 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

See I have had these hit or miss stamps so I don't even bother wasting my money on any stamp if it isn't one of those SU or Paper shaper type punches. Anytime I use anything else it ends up being just misery and that includes some of the CM punches I have as well, they were just a waste of money. Some of the border punches I see are only able to use on thin paper and that to me is a waste since I always use cardstock -

Sorry I think the answer is just to get the Paper Shaper SU Whale of a Punch type ones. I don't know how the Martha Stewart ones are but they are the same style punch so they possibly work better as well. Clever Lever punches also I hear are similar in style though I don't know the quality of those either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 05:19 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought a couple of whale punches a month or so ago and didn't get a chance until recently to try them out. Well they are not punching at all as the parts are all misaligned, and I have found out the store has since closed down. Grrr
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 05:54 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Red face

In an odd way, it is a bit reassuring that others have had these experiences, too. My friend and I were starting to think we were the ONLY ones with this problem. Also, we were beginning to think that there was some sort of "Secret Information" that we were not privy to. LOL! Like for example, all you can use punches for was patterened thin paper but nobody ever told us that! We were starting to get really paranoid !! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 05:55 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your frustration, girls. I agree about the hit-and-miss. I finally made an "index" on index cards with @ of my punches. Where I punched each out, I made notes about it, especially how well it worked and easy it was to use. Saves me from having to "relearn" each punch's limitations each time I want to use it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie GirlView Post
I bought a couple of whale punches a month or so ago and didn't get a chance until recently to try them out. Well they are not punching at all as the parts are all misaligned, and I have found out the store has since closed down. Grrr
Aussie Girl, when you say "whale punches," are you referring to whale of a punch A.K.A. paper shapers? That is/was a line put out by EK Success. Perhaps you're not as out of luck as you think. Our HLs sold them, perhaps they still do (don't know who else sells them). I haven't looked in a month or two, but they were still on the shelves last fall. Maybe this will give you an alternative to getting those punches right. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #13  

I have a bunch of punches. I have only had trouble with one Cm Paisley punch. But I was using it like I do the rest. (upside down). CM Paisley and new heart punch need to be used flat on the table to work properly. The only other punch I have had break was one I took to a daycare I volunteered at. Amazing what kids can do. I never could figure out how it got broken.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

I have LOTS of punches. I use them as embellishments. I will admit it wasn't until recently that I started using my border punches. I'm cheap and would rather punch than purchase fancy ribbon. I'm sorry I don't have an example. Will try to get one up soon.

Some punches work better than others. I prefer the EK Success/Whale/SU punches to other brands. I haven't had any problems with my MS punches either. Fiskars are tricky. If neither your husband or yourself can punch with it through thin CS I'd take it back. I punched through SU! CS with one of mine for my Christmas cards (approximately 100).

The other suggestions for sharpening are good also. Also try some wax paper for a lubricant. This is messy though.

HTH,
Babs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a whole drawer full of punches that I do NOT use for the same frustrating reasons. I decided I could buy a Cuttlebug and dies cheaper and be more satisfied and so that is what I did and I love it. I DO use the corner punches and the decorative edges some times, but the others just rarely work well. I wish I had just bought the CB to start with and forgot about the punches all together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have pretty much given up on punches too for the exact reason. I find that they will start out ok going through CS, but after 25 cuts or so, it starts to misalign and won't go through anymore. I really wish someone would make an edger that works better. BF says it's the cheapy aluminum punch, if it was steel, it would stay sharper and won't misalign as bad. :(

I haven't tried the SU! ones, want to check them out to see if they are better. Fiskars and Marvy's are pretty much the only readily availble ones here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #17  
Inking Addict

I just bought some Martha Stewart ones, two borders and a pine branch from the USA.

I had heard they were wonderful and seen great things, and I have loads of punches that don't do so well.

One of the MS border punches was faulty and the Ebay seller did replace it but I had to pay for postage back to the USA so not cheap, and not cheap in the first place. Now I agree they are wonderful but if I buy more I will ask for them to be tested before they are dispatched.

I have some great Kreaxions 5 way punches that will work as corner, border, and go through any card I try apart from chipboard thickness.

Fiskars border punches are not great but the corner ones are better. Anna Griffin only punches the thinnest paper. I bought some Crafts Too border punches and they are very good.

If it is hard to punch you can get punch aids quite cheaply, I have one and it is great, Punch Mate I think.
Reply With Quote Likes