Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-26-2014, 12:28 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Lifers: Phone camera or point and shoot?

Project life has piqued my curiosity and with SU coming out with their version I have decided to give it a try. I haven't done any scrapbooking lately because I have a clunky Canon Rebel DSLR that I hate lugging around. I'm researching various small point and shoot cameras such as the Canon Elph, which would be easier to travel with. I'm also eligible for my Verizon phone upgrade in October and would prefer buying a phone to use as my primary travel camera (less items to carry around). Does anyone have suggestions for a good camera phone? I'm fairly particular about print quality. I printed a photo from a friends Iphone 5 (the expensive one) and the photo was just ok, and had a soft focus. Would it be better to just get a regular camera?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2014, 02:32 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

My Samsung Galaxy S3 takes waaaay better pictures than my point-and-shoot (FinePix A800). I'll be the first to admit that I could find a better camera, but I travel light (as in the tiniest purse my phone and lip gloss will fit into - typically a "wristlet"), so taking a camera along is out of the question for me - my phone is ALWAYS with me! I've even shot some great video with it. My friend got a Nokia camera phone with a bizillion pixels and has nothing but trouble. I'm wondering if there's a comparison somewhere online that you could check out...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been looking at on-line reviews, but its difficult to find one that actually reviews print quality. I've had a few friends send pics to my printer from their phones and I've found that what looks like a good photo on the screen, does not represent what it will look like on paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm not a techie by any stretch, but I'm wondering if there's a difference in print quality if you upload pics from the phone to the computer and then print as opposed to sending straight to print. The photos I've printed turned out just fine done that way. I've never tried sending straight to the printer...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2014, 06:52 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I will try this and see if there is a difference. My sister has a Samsung galaxy I can experiment with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 02:25 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

I agree with Sue we love our Samsung galaxy 3 phones and the photos captured with it. Hope you find something you like!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 03:19 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I use both my Canon P&S and my iPhone 5c, and the photos turn out great. For my phone photos, I do a bit of editing in Photoshop Elements or one of my phone apps before printing. It takes just a few minutes, and the results are worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 03:44 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Check for settings on the phone for the resolution. High resolution(300 dpi or higher) is needed for quality printing. We have a print shop and people ask us all the time to print their phone photos or photos and graphics from the web (which are usually 72 dpi so they load quickly on people's computers). Low resolution means pixelation and blurry photos.

I had my cheap pay-as-I-go non-smart phone camera set at a really high resolution (over 1000) and couldn't send the photos attached to text messages which is what I use the camera for. I don't have my phone set to connect to the internet because it's an extra fee.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 06:37 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevitaView Post
Check for settings on the phone for the resolution. High resolution(300 dpi or higher) is needed for quality printing. We have a print shop and people ask us all the time to print their phone photos or photos and graphics from the web (which are usually 72 dpi so they load quickly on people's computers). Low resolution means pixelation and blurry photos.

I had my cheap pay-as-I-go non-smart phone camera set at a really high resolution (over 1000) and couldn't send the photos attached to text messages which is what I use the camera for. I don't have my phone set to connect to the internet because it's an extra fee.
Thanks for the info. I'll check into this. I doubt my friends changed any settings since they only use their photos for facebook.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 06:38 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

I also depends on what you are taking pictures of. If there is any kind of action, you will have a shutter delay with the camera on your phone, and a shutter delay with a P&S. If you don't mind the shutter delay (oh, I missed that picture because my camera is slow) then you will find what you want. If there is action, its worth it to have the "clunky DSLR". I have always regretted the times I don't have my DSLR with me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 07:32 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicksterView Post
I agree with Sue we love our Samsung galaxy 3 phones and the photos captured with it. Hope you find something you like!
How do you print your photos? Do you go through a program like photoshop? I got an HP envy 5530 printer so photos can be e-mailed directly and printed immediately from it while traveling. I'm wondering of the e-mailing of the photo is the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes