Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ProCision Trimmer

I have 5 paper trimmers and not particularly happy with any of them. I read somewhere about the new Fiskars ProCision trimmer and can't remember where. I have seen it advertised on sale and also at my local craft store.
Does anyone own it and have an opinion or review to share? TIA
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi babe54,

I am looking for people's opinions on this cutter as well. Scrapbook.com has a special until tomorrow (Friday Sept 21) night. $50 off regular retail of $119.00. I have many trimmers, but like you, I have issues with all of them. I did find two reviews on line.
Newest �bladerunner� on the block � Judy Nolan
and
The Gentleman Crafter: Quick Post!

Does anyone here have one of these and be willing to share their opinion?

My Gallery
Capricious Creations

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi Stampinspy,
It was The Gentleman Crafter. Joann's is carrying the trimmer but you cannot use a coupon. I hope there are more replies. I am tired of buying trimmers and this one would be in my budget.
Thanks for the reply.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2012, 06:02 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm also curious about the ProCision trimmer. Are there any mat-cutting crafters out there? I'd so love to learn how to mat and frame some of my "art"- Currently looking at a Logan mat cutter vs. a ProCision trimmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

Stampinspy, I just went to scrapbook.com and they don't have any in and no preorders, just click to be notified when this item is available. No discount. OH well, missed out again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

I saw a video demo of this cutter yesterday on the Scrap Mart site I think. It looks like a great cutter but my question is: Right now I have the basic Fiskars that SU used to sell. It also has a scoring blade on it. If I get this Procision, I guess I'll have to haul out my Scor Buddy after I cut cardstock for a card and is this going to be a bother? Is it worth it to upgrade to a better cutter if all I really do is cut single sheets of cardstock? I am not entirely happy with my cutter - even with a new blade it causes fuzz on the cut line of the thicker cardstock like Gina K and PTI. And you can't shave off very small increments. But it basically does the job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got the email from scrappal about this trimmer and watched the video. it looks really good. Right now I have a regualar fiskers that I like and a carl cutter since I cut lots of chipboard and magnets. It would be a dream if this fiskars could cut all of that. Keeping 2 cutters and a scorpal on my workspace takes up too much room.

I had the making memories trimmer, but I did not like it at all, so it would be really interesting if someone could compare the two of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was curious about this trimmer so did a Goggle search. It doesn't look like it is available yet but before you buy do your research. One place showed it as reg price $116 but ther price was going to be $42! Another place had set their price as $137.

I did watch the video and it seemed to be a sturdy trimmer with the convince of folding up so could be stored in a smaller space or taken to workshops. When unfolded it looked to be able to accommodate a 12 x 12 piece of paper. Nice that the blade will not have to be replaced. (Of course, you need to watch what you cut.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's quite expensive compared to all their other trimmers. Would like to see one and try it out. What I've read says it cuts light-weight chipboard. So you would still need something else for anything heavier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm looking into getting a new trimmer too. I checked out the vids for the Procision trimmer and I'm wondering about the statement of never having to change the blade. I'm hooked on GinaK's 120 lb CS, so I go though blades quite often it seems.

For the previous posters, did you purchase and do you like?

My first thought was the guillotine type trimmer. But I'm not sure of that either. Thoughts?

Last edited by Cobrylin; 01-30-2013 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I can't speak to the Procision, because I don't have it. I still have the old SU trimmer and I do go through blades a lot. I just keep spares handy.

But I would say this: I ordered the new SU trimmer, it didn't work for me. That's a long story, but short version is there was nothing wrong with it, I just have a particular lighting problem in my studio and the swing arm lamp above the trimmer reflected like a mirror in the trimmer platform. I ended up returning it and sort of reluctantly getting the guillotine trimmer. So now I have both kinds and I have to say I am glad I do. Each is good for different things and I use them both.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Last Chance 54View Post
I'm also curious about the ProCision trimmer. Are there any mat-cutting crafters out there? I'd so love to learn how to mat and frame some of my "art"- Currently looking at a Logan mat cutter vs. a ProCision trimmer.
If you want to bevel Your cuts such as the framed area around your piece of art, then the procision will not work for you. I have a mat cutter and it has 2 blades. One for strait cuts and one for beveled. I don't recall what brand I have. I'm not at home right now, but I can look into it later for you if you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm saving up for a genesis, but I am seriously considering getting this instead. It would certainly be more affordable for me. Hope more reviews come out on this soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the Genesis 18" with the light. LOVED it, but had to sell due to space constraints in my new digs.

ordered the Fiskars procision and when it comes I will try it out and let you know how it compares to my beloved Genesis....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm looking forward to what you have to say. It will be nice hearing from someone who can compare this with a genesis. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm back on the fence, again. I was prepared to try the Cutterpillar Pro when my DH said why don't you just buy the Genesis. Then I thought well maybe I'll try the Procision since Joanns sells it. DH says again just buy the Genesis. That just put me back at square one all over again. For some reason I'm hesitant about it. He goes on to list all the reasons I should and I seem to list why I should not. I keep thinking shouldn't I buy something that cuts more than one piece. And something that can also cut chipboard.
In the meantime I'm stuck with 5 cutters that can't cut straight.
I wish he had just kept his mouth shut
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by babe54View Post
I'm back on the fence, again. I was prepared to try the Cutterpillar Pro when my DH said why don't you just buy the Genesis. Then I thought well maybe I'll try the Procision since Joanns sells it. DH says again just buy the Genesis. That just put me back at square one all over again. For some reason I'm hesitant about it. He goes on to list all the reasons I should and I seem to list why I should not. I keep thinking shouldn't I buy something that cuts more than one piece. And something that can also cut chipboard.
In the meantime I'm stuck with 5 cutters that can't cut straight.
I wish he had just kept his mouth shut
Great that he has an opinion!

Can you use a coupon at J's?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

It is good that he has an opinion, but not when it comes to certain things. I guess you could say he is the opposite of most husbands. I can walk into the craft store with him and say I want to spend $25. He'll say buy this and that. By the time I leave I have $75 worth of stuff. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about that as most people would love that. But, when you have so much stuff you're overwhelmed by it that's the last thing I need. By now I probably would have a cutter that I would be happy with. I still can't decide.
You can no longer use your coupons on dies or what they consider paper crafting machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Hello all! I have used the Genesis at a local stamp store and loved it. It cuts smoothly and with ease. I really looked into buying one back when they were in a big manufacturing backlog i decided about two months ago to try the Fiskars Procision trimmer. I used a coupon at Joann's, so the trimmer cost me about $72.00. Got it home and immediately fell in love with it. Unlike the Genesis, that has to stay in one spot because of it's size, weight and the cutting head, the Procision sits folded on a shelf above my head and as I need it I pull it down and use it on my table. Jennifer McGuire just had a blog post yesterday about her review. Check it out here...
New Fiskars Trimmer + BIG Giveaway!
Hope this helps!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Peggy,
Thank you, that was very helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by pegmac71View Post
Hello all! I have used the Genesis at a local stamp store and loved it. It cuts smoothly and with ease. I really looked into buying one back when they were in a big manufacturing backlog i decided about two months ago to try the Fiskars Procision trimmer. I used a coupon at Joann's, so the trimmer cost me about $72.00. Got it home and immediately fell in love with it. Unlike the Genesis, that has to stay in one spot because of it's size, weight and the cutting head, the Procision sits folded on a shelf above my head and as I need it I pull it down and use it on my table. Jennifer McGuire just had a blog post yesterday about her review. Check it out here...
New Fiskars Trimmer + BIG Giveaway!
Hope this helps!
Have you tried cutting grungeboard or chipboard with it?
I bought one around Christmas time, but returned it. It wouldn't even cut through 2 pieces of SU CS, let alone chipboard; but in the videos I have watched it works really well. So I am wondering if the one I bought was faulty.

Thanks for the info!

Stacey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

my procision trimmer came today. comparison with Genesis 18th with edgelight

Procision pros:

smaller footprint and folds!
cuts more than one piece of cardstock at a time (I cut 3 -- actually I have no cardstock at the moment, but found an old thing I made with 3 pieces glued together)
cuts very cleanly
has a thing you press that holds the paper in place
considerably cheaper than the genesis (I paid $89 with free shipping) on amazon

Genesis: pros

the edgelight is really nice for cutting stripes or when you need to cut near a particular spot on cardstock and don't feel like measuring

the cut for a single piece is probably slightly sharper. not sure

not plastic, so I'm guessing it will last longer (not sure). mine was in perfect condition after many years.

So-- I think that the procision is a reasonable alternative to the genesis. I need to play with it much more to have a final opinion but so far a 2 thumbs up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
my procision trimmer came today. comparison with Genesis 18th with edgelight

Procision pros:

smaller footprint and folds!
cuts more than one piece of cardstock at a time (I cut 3 -- actually I have no cardstock at the moment, but found an old thing I made with 3 pieces glued together)
cuts very cleanly
has a thing you press that holds the paper in place
considerably cheaper than the genesis (I paid $89 with free shipping) on amazon

Genesis: pros

the edgelight is really nice for cutting stripes or when you need to cut near a particular spot on cardstock and don't feel like measuring

the cut for a single piece is probably slightly sharper. not sure

not plastic, so I'm guessing it will last longer (not sure). mine was in perfect condition after many years.

So-- I think that the procision is a reasonable alternative to the genesis. I need to play with it much more to have a final opinion but so far a 2 thumbs up.
JoanB thanks for your review. I've always wanted a good trimmer like the Genesis however I can't seem to get over the price and I usually crop outside my home and so I need something portable.

I'm going to give the procision a try. Thanks again for your review!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

glad to help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for the review! I've always wanted a genesis and I'm sure they are worth every penny, just something I can't afford at this time. I really like the portability of the Procision so I think I'll go ahead and order it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

I ordered the Procision from Amazon and I got it for a pretty good price. I have a question for those of you who have one. When you cut something, does it sound like the blade is scraping a bit? Most of the cuts are clean, but I cut some heavyweight Gina K cardstock, just one piece, and the edge was a little ragged. I also cut 3 pieces of lighter weight and got the same result. Should I be worried? I wanted to buy it locally so if I had issues I could return it, but no one carried it. Shipping back to Amazon will be expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

try cutting the paper the other way and see if the cut is cleaner
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

I have done that, with the paper at the bottom and at the top, pulling the blade towards me and pushing it away. Same result. I took some photos of the paper and have contacted Fiskars. It's not that the edge is torn up, like it can be with the small single blade trimmers, but the edge is just...ragged, not as smooth as I would expect from a trimmer with a price tag like this one. The blade sounds like it's rubbing, but only in certain spots and the metal strip has some uneven spots in it, too. Maybe I just got a lemon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Apparently it's not just me. I found a video from The Gentleman Crafter and he has the same issues, but his works better when he pulls the blade down rather than pushing it up. I did get slightly better results, but I'm still not pleased about it.

Here's the link to his video:

The Gentleman Crafter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortWizardView Post
I ordered the Procision from Amazon and I got it for a pretty good price. I have a question for those of you who have one. When you cut something, does it sound like the blade is scraping a bit? Most of the cuts are clean, but I cut some heavyweight Gina K cardstock, just one piece, and the edge was a little ragged. I also cut 3 pieces of lighter weight and got the same result. Should I be worried? I wanted to buy it locally so if I had issues I could return it, but no one carried it. Shipping back to Amazon will be expensive.
The grinding is from the blade sharpening itself each time you use it. It rubs along a metal edge just like using a sharpening steel for knives. All of my cuts have been clean, but I only cut downward since pushing up on the blade feels awkward to me. I used Gina K Base weight white and some Stampin Up cardstock the other day with no problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

I couldn't help myself for the price I got and purchased one also. So far I haven't had a problem cutting up or down. I have some Gina K and Papertrey Ink paper that I have not used. I will give those a try tomorrow and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Maybe your blade needs to be sharpened. I know it is supposed to be self sharpening and not replaced. Have you tried running the blade up and down without paper so the 2 metal ares make contact? There might be a rough area on the blade. This is a suggestion for other self sharpening blades. I don't have this cutter and this is only a suggestion.

Hope you get a response from Fiskars that corrects your problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #34  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaView Post
The grinding is from the blade sharpening itself each time you use it. It rubs along a metal edge just like using a sharpening steel for knives. All of my cuts have been clean, but I only cut downward since pushing up on the blade feels awkward to me. I used Gina K Base weight white and some Stampin Up cardstock the other day with no problem.
You should not have ragged edges and not have to "pull" or "push" one way to get a clean cut. I had the ragged edge issue, contacted Fiskars, took a pic of my cutter and emailed it to them. I had a new cutter on my doorstep in a couple of weeks. The blade is self sharpening and I don't think mine makes any unusual noise. Contact Fiskars about that too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh wow this is tempting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

You should not have ragged edges and not have to "pull" or "push" one way to get a clean cut. I had the ragged edge issue, contacted Fiskars, took a pic of my cutter and emailed it to them. I had a new cutter on my doorstep in a couple of weeks. The blade is self sharpening and I don't think mine makes any unusual noise. Contact Fiskars about that too.
:confused: I think you misunderstood my post. I do not get ragged edges, they are all clean. I can cut by pushing (tested today since others stated issues) and pulling. I just prefer pulling since I don't like the feel of pushing in general on anything. Mine does not make any unusual noises. The motion is smooth, but does have a specific "feel" to it created from the honing of the blade which is common among any self sharpening item. I did describe it as a grinding. Perhaps this is what caused the confusion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2013, 11:24 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

I didn't see this posted: I noticed that HL had the ProCision in stock last week - 40% coupon does apply. It's regularly $120; that makes it in the $72 neighborhood before your local tax.

Last edited by binx; 02-25-2013 at 11:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I absolutely agree - it should cut cleanly either way. I emailed them, too, and they asked me to send a photo, which I did, along with a closeup of the metal bar and a piece of card stock with the raggedy edge. They said they would send a new trimmer - their customer service is wonderful!
Reply With Quote Likes