Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prismacolor vs. Copics vs. Stampin Up Markers

To all you knowledgeable ladies out there...

I would really like to invest in a set of markers for coloring in my images but I am not sure I want to commit to buying Copics as they are $6.50 per marker here in Canada.

What would be a better buy- Stampin Up Markers or Prismcolor Markers?

If I do go with an alcohol based marker- can I still use it to ink my stamps (hope that made sense).

As you can see I am still terribly new at this!

Thanks for your help everyone!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Prismacolor Markers and Copic Markers are BOTH alcohol based.

Stampin Up! Markers are WATER based. They are completely different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Tornadogirl

I have all the 3 kind of markers you mentioned. Prismacolor markers are very similar to copics, I use them all the time with my copics and I am very happy with the quality. You cannot ink the rubber with these because they dry too fast.
You can do that with SU markers, but when coloring an outlined image the results are not as nice, you will see lines on your paper.
I would say, if you prefer solid rubber stamps then go with SU markers, if you prefer outline stamps that need to be colored then get either prisma color markers or copics (Blick studio also has artist markers, they are similar to prismas and copics, but not as many colors to choose from, they are 1.69 US$, they are available here Not sure if they ship to canada.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

I have Prismacolor and CTMH (similar to SU) makers. I bought the Prismacolor markers because they are much cheaper than copics. They are great for coloring in images. I use the CTMH for use on the actual stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 01:37 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Another option is the Tombow DualBrush marker. It is very similar to the SU marker, but comes in lots more colors. I also found the brush tip to be more durable than the SU brush tip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I have both the Copic markers and the SU markers, and I have tried the Prisma Markers. I prefer the Copic markers over the Prisma, mainly because of the size and the smell, I find that Prisma's have a strong oder. I like the SU markers if I am doing just a quick fill in color. As for buying Copic's in Canada, you can try Curry's https://www.currys.com/catalogpc.htm...0376&NBReset=3 they are in Winnipeg, but they only sell the Ciao markers, which are alright they just don't have as much ink in them as the Sketch but they work just the same. I have also ordered my markers from the Merri Artist http://www.merriartist.com/Copic_Ske...kers_s/299.htm they are US based but there prices even with the shipping and exchange are resonable and they ship quickly. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I don't have alcohol based markers, but I did use a SU blender pen today with waterbased markers and they pulled out the color of the markers wonderfully. I was really pleased with the result. If that helps at all .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

Thank you to everyone that took the time to offer your opinions. I bought a few Prismacolor markers yesterday and tried to use them today...I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I didn't think the colouring looked all that great. I used a blender pen to see what it could do but it didn't seem to make a big difference to the colours. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

I did find that I had some better success with the SU markers and a blender pen.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

If you are trying to use the alchol based blender pen as you use the blender pen for the SU! markers, that is why you are getting good results. The alcohol blender does NOT work like the other water based one.

The alcohol blender is mainly used to "lift" or erase mistakes you have made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Marker question

Quote:

Originally Posted by TornadogirlView Post
Thank you to everyone that took the time to offer your opinions. I bought a few Prismacolor markers yesterday and tried to use them today...I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I didn't think the colouring looked all that great. I used a blender pen to see what it could do but it didn't seem to make a big difference to the colours. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

I did find that I had some better success with the SU markers and a blender pen.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions!

I don't have markers from Prisma, I only have the pencil crayons (used with Odorless Mineral Spirits). I do have the set of SU markers, and a whole lot of Copics.

After some practice, I LOVE my Copics, but I can understand that they are a large investment. If you are interested, I would recomend buying a few general colours, and slowly building up your collection.
With alcohol-based markers, such as these, you cannot use water to blend or to apply colour (ie. Aqua Painters and Blender pens will not work). You can buy a Colourless Blender, but that removes colour more than anything. Helps for layering colour.
You can use them to colour on your stamp (solid image), but you would have to spritz the stamp with rubbing alcohol, and you would get a slight watercolour image.
*Warning: DO NOT use Staz-On ink with alcohol-based markers!

The SU markers are quick and easy, and they are great with an Aqua Painter and using SU's watercolour paper. They are also great for colouring on solid stamps, and they are much less expensive. The finished result is not as professionl, but still does the job!

Sorry about the essay! HTH

I'm a Bella Babe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I have tried all 3 types of markers and love my Copics the best for general coloring. I first invested in some Prisma Markers and still have them. I use them for colors that I don't have yet in Copic. There's nothing wrong with the Prisma markers. They color well, have a nice array of colors and aren't as expensive. However, I love the brush tip on my Copic sketch markers and prefer to work with those.

The SU! markers are water based and for coloring in an image I find that you can usually see the strokes of your marker, where with the Copic and Prismacolor markers it's even and not streaky. They also don't ball up my paper as I add more color, where the SU! markers can tend to make the paper too wet and eventually it starts to pill.

The SU! and other water based markers do have their place and I still have mine because I like to do the watercolor effect using the markers and an Aqua brush.

Copics can be pricey but I agree with other posters that you can start with a few colors and then add to your collection. Check out Sharon Harnist's blog for some ideas on great colors and Marianne's blog for how you can make more colors from your Copics by using a gray marker for shading.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

with prisma pencils u need to use gamsol not blender markers.
if u want markers i m selling 3 whole sets with leplume or i can swop them for nestabilities.
u can email me if u fancy
i m also selling/swopping stickers

[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I have all 3, though not a complete set of Copics. I use my SU set for coloring directly on the stamps when using more than one color on a stamp. My Prismacolors and Copics I use together, I find that the Prismacolors don't offer a wide enough variety of colors for my liking. That's why I am starting to collect the Copics now too.

Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Actually you can color directly on the stamps without using alcohol IF you wet the paper first with the Colorless Blender.
And, as someone already mentioned, this is a completely DIFFERENT blender than the "blender pen." It is more like an "eraser" than a blender.
With the alcohol markers there is definitely a learning curve, but you will get more vibrant colors and better blending than with the Su markers for the most part. I like both, really!
I have some Prisma markers and they are similar to Copic but they don't blend quite as well IMO. Must be a slightly different formula. But you can use them together. So I started with the Prisma and eventually went with Copics...the problem is, you need a blending group to really see the difference. If you buy a red, a green and a blue, you won't think they are all that different from the SU markers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2mckinlView Post
I don't have markers from Prisma, I only have the pencil crayons (used with Odorless Mineral Spirits). I do have the set of SU markers, and a whole lot of Copics.

After some practice, I LOVE my Copics, but I can understand that they are a large investment. If you are interested, I would recomend buying a few general colours, and slowly building up your collection.
With alcohol-based markers, such as these, you cannot use water to blend or to apply colour (ie. Aqua Painters and Blender pens will not work). You can buy a Colourless Blender, but that removes colour more than anything. Helps for layering colour.
You can use them to colour on your stamp (solid image), but you would have to spritz the stamp with rubbing alcohol, and you would get a slight watercolour image.
*Warning: DO NOT use Staz-On ink with alcohol-based markers!

The SU markers are quick and easy, and they are great with an Aqua Painter and using SU's watercolour paper. They are also great for colouring on solid stamps, and they are much less expensive. The finished result is not as professionl, but still does the job!

Sorry about the essay! HTH

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I am just catching up on this because I am looking for some coloring options. I have the set of water color pencils from SU and I use a blender pen (with water I guess) from SU to blend them. I don't use water color paper, just plain old white stock. I am kind of happy with them if I only do a very small area but when I am coloring, say...the little truck from Loads of Love, it is very streaky. Does anyone have any comments on the water color pencils and what the best use for them are? I hate to invest in an entire new set of coloring tools when what I have may work if used better.
Thanks, Paula
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

I have been told that if you are using any kind of watercolour tools, you should use the SU Watercolour Paper. It's supposed to keep your colours from getting streaky and the paper doesn't pill. I just ordered a pack so I will let you know how good this stuff works!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Default Alcohol based markers

What kind of ink should I use to stamp if I am coloring with alcohol based markers? and what type of paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Memento or Adirondack dye based inks are what I have the best success with for Copic coloring. I love Hammermill color copy cover weight cardstock the best, but there a lot of options out there. Everyone has their favorite.

There are actually quite a few different options available now for alcohol based markers that are less expensive. Shin Han Touch markers come to mind, and Marvy came out with their own alcohol based markers too. And I think it was Crafter's Companion came out with Spectrum Noir alcohol markers as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by linadelgadoView Post
What kind of ink should I use to stamp if I am coloring with alcohol based markers? and what type of paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,133 Likes on 510 Posts

I love my Touch Twin markers. They are alcohol based.

If you are used to working with markers direct-to-rubber or applying inks with a blender pen, you might look into Tombow watercolor markers.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I just received an order from SU and had ordered some of their watercolor paper. I think I will continue to purchase my watercolor paper from HL. SU's is just to expensive.
I only do cards, and I do like the paper from HL.
locoop
Reply With Quote Likes