Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prismacolor markers

Are prismacolor markers similiar to copics?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to Splitcoast!

They are similar in that they are alcohol-based markers. The color range in the Prismas (156 colors) is limited compared to Copics (I believe there are 344 colors).

The Prismas have a huge chisel tip on one end and a bullet tip on the other. The Copics (Sketch and Ciao) have brush tips on one end and a chisel tip on the other. (You can check both types of markers on Dick Blick to see the differences here.)

The Prismas are not refillable and don't have replaceable nibs. The Copic Sketch markers are refillable and have replaceable nibs. (There are several types of Copic markers, but I'm familiar with the Sketch because I have some of those.)

The Copics are blendable because the ink stays wet longer; the Prismas dry really fast and I didn't have much luck blending them even though I had a Prisma blender.

I have a few Prismas (primarily the skin tones) which I used with Sharpies and Bic Mark-Its before I bought any of the Copics. In my opinion, there's no comparison - I love my Copic Sketch markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,128 Likes on 508 Posts

Great info, Linda, thank you! I only have 2 Prismacolor markers and they are the older style (one end a huge chisel and the other is a fine tip, not a bullet)... I've been asked this before but didn't really have much info to go on.

Welcome, Lori!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a prisma blending pen, the chisel in it isn't huge but it is unique to give different widths. I was going to get some at Michaels but they seemed to smell a bit stronger than the other alcohol markers brands I have so I didn't buy them. It might just be me though. I have a sensitive sniffer, according to my husband
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Michelle that the Prismacolor markers seem to have a stronger odor than other alcohol markers (and I do not have a sensitive nose.)

I got a few of them on ebay when I first started experimenting with different coloring mediums. It was an asssorted motley group of colors, but the price was right, lol.

The only ones I really have used much are one called Eggshell for faces, and a color called Brick White which is a nice off white that I've used for Polar bears at Christmas. And for bunnies at Easter.

To tell the truth, I've used my Bics and Sharpies with more success than the Prismas.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes