Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pick Up Tool Recommendations

I'm putting together the annual craft day that some of my extended family do and need advice for pick up tools. Many of my aunts are well into their 80's and there are issues with arthritis and I'm wondering if this could help them expand some of the techniques they've had to stop over the years. And I also have a sister with brain damage and anything that would help bring down her frustration level would be wonderful.
Thanks is advance!
Vivian P
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I would like to be helpful, but I'm afraid that I'm not really clear on the question. Can you clarify what you mean by "pick up tools", please?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2014, 07:57 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to the model department of Hobby Lobby, there are some pick up thingies that model builders use. They are quite tacky (and I don't mean they wear loud clothes) and can be used over and over, BUT you must use another item (a pin or toothpick) to get them to release. I usually detacky them but putting my fingers on it. They come in a package of 10? or more.

I have the blue pick up type tool it has a point thingy on the end that detaches and use it to hold item for release.

You can make your own with qtips and Aleene's tacky glue. I use the pointy qtips found in the makeup area of Albertsons/ Walmart/ Walgreens...etc.

Last edited by southgirl; 07-21-2014 at 08:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Wow, those are some great ideas. Even the make yourself will meet with approval from the Great Depression era survivors! I certainly have plenty of time. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2014, 11:43 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

southgirl- I loved your model builders tacky comment. I busted up laughing.

I do a lot of nail art. I have a tool that picks up rhinestones. I use that. I also use a toothpick with a dot of Aleene's Tack it Over and Over on the top of the toothpick.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I use Q-tips that I have just moistened the end by pressing onto a damp paper towel- works fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
southgirl- I loved your model builders tacky comment. I busted up laughing.

I do a lot of nail art. I have a tool that picks up rhinestones. I use that. I also use a toothpick with a dot of Aleene's Tack it Over and Over on the top of the toothpick.
I love the idea of a toothpick and tack it over and over...Small area less mess?

And you are right it is tack it over and over glue not tacky glue. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

For someone with a disability, you might want to get them reverse-action tweezers. You squeeze to open them and when you let go, it clamps. I love mine!

Amazon.com - Reverse Action Tweezers- - Hobby Tweezers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a skewer with a dab of two-way glue on the end of it. I have to renew the glue every once in a while (I use this home-made tool a lot!!) but that is no problem. Depending on your Aunty's finger mobility you could use the pointed end of a lollypop stick...it's a little bigger around. (or sharpen one end of a piece of 1/4" dowel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the Silhouette Pick Me Up tool. It is filled with floral clay (putty?) which stays tacky and you can use it again and again. The same thing is available under the Cricut brand. You find it near the electronic die cutting machine supplies. When it runs out of clay, you can refill it yourself very cheaply, now that I've told you the secret of what's inside!
http://www.amazon.com/Silhouette-Pic.../dp/B0046BTZ8W
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2014, 11:48 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnephelpsView Post
I love the Silhouette Pick Me Up tool. It is filled with floral clay (putty?) which stays tacky and you can use it again and again. The same thing is available under the Cricut brand. You find it near the electronic die cutting machine supplies. When it runs out of clay, you can refill it yourself very cheaply, now that I've told you the secret of what's inside!
Amazon.com: Silhouette Pick Me Up Tool
You have made my day. I was thinking of getting one of those or even trying to make a knock off one. I couldn't figure out what that putty was. Big Thank You!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

For picking up rhinestones, you can use a toothpick with a glob of beeswax on top, or just a plain ol' crayon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I like the Cutter Bee products. They have 2 different pairs of little scissors, one for cuts and one with black blades that are non stick, saves frustration when cutting foam tape, etc.

I like the Tweezer Bee tweezers, they squeeze to open and clamp on well to what you are holding. I even use it when heat embossing smaller images, saves my fingers.

Also, there are finger tip protectors for glue guns now, combined with the Tim Hotlz mats you can hot glue a lot more safely now, and keep your fingerprints.

Quik Stick tool is also a must. Same as described above.

Good lighting, nothing is more frustrating that not being able to see well, regardless of age or disabilities. Even magnifying glasses are a big help, they have some on stands in the Cross Stitch section. I do a lot of Cross Stitch and good lighting is a must.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybugstamper2View Post
Good lighting, nothing is more frustrating that not being able to see well, regardless of age or disabilities. Even magnifying glasses are a big help, they have some on stands in the Cross Stitch section. I do a lot of Cross Stitch and good lighting is a must.
I can't live without good lighting. I am cross stitcher too. I was so happy when I started stamping and have a perfect lighting setup since it was all ready for my stitching. I have three lamps in my room.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 02:39 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

I live in Denmark, and here we have a tool, that�s just likea normal pencil, and it�s sharpend just with a normal pencilsharpner too, but the led in it is such a sticky thing, which is awesome to pick up almost anything not too heavy, and if it�s rhinestones, you just ad them to the glue, and as soon as it touches it, it�ll release the pencil. Unfortunately I don�t even know any name for them, excet we call them rhinestonepencils, so not sure if you can get them in other countries, but why shouldn�t you, if we can get them ehre? And they�re very cheap we only pay a couple of $ each for one the size of a new pencil and it last for years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 02:47 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

You can also use Embellie Jelly by ScraPerfect. It's simply a thick tacky jelly substance that you tear a little piece off from the square you get, then roll it in to a little ball and squish on to the end of the wooden stick they give you. Use it to pick up small items, such as paper pieces, gems, etc. I have arthritis-like issues in my hands, so this was very helpful for me. The little ball of jelly lasts a long time before it loses its tackiness, at which time you throw the jelly ball away and simply roll up another little ball of tacky jelly from the package. It's less expensive than the Silhouette Quick Stick here in Canada, I think it lasts much longer than the Quick Stick, even though it doesn't look as fancy. It's a very basic tool, but you can make the ball as big as you need, and you just press it on to your project and roll it off to release it. I have both the Quick Stick and the Embellie Jelly, and I actually prefer the stiffness of the Embellie Jelly version. Here's some more info on it:

Embellie Gellie by ScraPerfect

Hope you find what you need!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 06:38 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I use the Quik Stick all the time. It has a scrapper on one end to loosen things like rhinestones and paper. This end also pulls out and there is a sharp piercing tool. The sticky end has quite a lot of the sticky stuff in it. It is well worth the money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 126 Likes on 93 Posts

Quote:

Amazon.com: Silhouette Pick Me Up Tool
I've only used my Quick Stick a handful of times and the putty side is flat and won't pick things up anymore. I see more "stuff" in there but don't know if it actually comes out?? Doesn't seem to have a retractable tip. I kind of expected this thing to last more than a month.

Instagram: @jacqueline_worksforstamps
Blog: Works For Stamps

Come join the TEAparty every Tuesday! Click here for details.

"Stamping is an addiction & therapy rolled into one"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

You can just tear off the end of the putty at the tip, and that gives you new tacky stuff to work with...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Pick up Tools

Quote:

Robot Check
Another one is the QuicKutz, The Quicker-Poker-Picker-Upper that also has the tacky paste in one end that twists up for more when the first bit gets dirty or nonsticky. the other end has a pokey tool that reverses to a chisel end.
For DIY - do you remember the blue sticky tack for posters? Pull off a chunk, roll, flatten , and put on the corner of a poster to hang? Use the same stuff on a stick to pick up things just like that gellie item.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 11:23 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I used the QK blue tool for years until I twisted up all the gummy stuff. Then I used a toothpick and Aleene's, until I saw a woman on the Crafters Companion videos using a wooden shishkobob skewer and a glue stick. Tried it, works great. All of them work great, for rhinestones, glue dots, alpha "i" dot diecuts. I'm just happy to have an alternative to having to buy a tool when I already have what I need to McGyver it, LOL. ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 11:47 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryannlaView Post
I live in Denmark, and here we have a tool, that�s just likea normal pencil, and it�s sharpend just with a normal pencilsharpner too, but the led in it is such a sticky thing, which is awesome to pick up almost anything not too heavy, and if it�s rhinestones, you just ad them to the glue, and as soon as it touches it, it�ll release the pencil. Unfortunately I don�t even know any name for them, excet we call them rhinestonepencils, so not sure if you can get them in other countries, but why shouldn�t you, if we can get them ehre? And they�re very cheap we only pay a couple of $ each for one the size of a new pencil and it last for years.
I know what pencil your talking about. The White Pencil. I love to use those for my nail art to pick up my teeny rhinestones. I don't have one in my nail art tools right now. I lost it in a move. I need to get another one. Those are great pencils.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 08:04 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a dental tweezer that is really small on the ends, for placing brackets on each tooth for braces.
I also have the stick like tool that is sticky on the end, but don't like it that much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2014, 04:51 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 935 Likes on 856 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryannlaView Post
I just started reading this thread...alot to read. Has anyone found this pencil thing? would like to check it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2014, 08:27 AM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

I have a quick stick, it's bigger around and perhaps easier for older fingers, but my fave. at the moment is the marvy jewel picker (look in the bead dept.) So, for making your own, do you get mail with that gummy stuff holding down the flap ? I am thinking the costco mailer etc. Could you put a glob of that on the bbq skewer ? Or maybe rubber cement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #26  
Glitter Queen

@Hobby Sue: I just googled for the rhinestone pencil Maryannla was talking about, and found one on Amazon.com. It's called the Pixiheart Wax Rhinestone Picker Pencil and is only $1.28 +free shipping. Here's the link:
Robot Check
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbagnolaView Post
I have a quick stick, it's bigger around and perhaps easier for older fingers, but my fave. at the moment is the marvy jewel picker (look in the bead dept.) So, for making your own, do you get mail with that gummy stuff holding down the flap ? I am thinking the costco mailer etc. Could you put a glob of that on the bbq skewer ? Or maybe rubber cement.
Oooooo...yeah the goopy stuff my son when he was little called boogers on the mail! LOL That would probably be a great idea since I'm assuming quite a few of these are needed and it would be really inexpensive. Good idea! I'm going to file that as a great tip!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

@Alleyoop...Thanks so much for checking that out. Going to the site now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

Beeswax will work also. I use to embellish ball gowns and used a toothpick with a ball of beeswax on the end.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2014, 10:41 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquelineView Post
I've only used my Quick Stick a handful of times and the putty side is flat and won't pick things up anymore. I see more "stuff" in there but don't know if it actually comes out?? Doesn't seem to have a retractable tip. I kind of expected this thing to last more than a month.

I had the same experience, complained and it got replaced with another that is just as useless. The sticky stuff is in there but it won't come out. AND the pointy tip broke off the first time I used it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

We all have lots of pencils with worn down erasers. I just place a dot of Mono Multi onto the eraser and wait for it to dry all tacky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

Not sure what it is called, but I use a plastic stick slightly wider than 1/16" with what feels like wax on the end. I have several, but have only used one. If it seems to get "un-sticky" I just warm it a bit with my fingers and it's good to go. I love that it is tiny for those little bits of stuff that are so difficult to pick up with just fingers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2014, 04:14 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Not sure what it is called, but I use a plastic stick slightly wider than 1/16" with what feels like wax on the end. I have several, but have only used one. If it seems to get "un-sticky" I just warm it a bit with my fingers and it's good to go. I love that it is tiny for those little bits of stuff that are so difficult to pick up with just fingers.
I have a set of these, they are pink, and I saved the package, called "Perfect Positioner" by Western Crafts, in Van Nuys, CA. Maybe you guys could contact them about how to fix the end when it is no longer sticky....:lol: I love mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2014, 05:39 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Recently I discovered that a regular ol' crayon does the trick. Roll it between your hands to warm slightly. Use white if you don't want color to get on your gemstones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Everyone has such great ideas for tools - I'm tacky, I just lick my finger. It's always ready, doesn't need a replacement, and clean-up is easy. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #36  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
Recently I discovered that a regular ol' crayon does the trick. Roll it between your hands to warm slightly. Use white if you don't want color to get on your gemstones.
This is exactly what I do! I actually keep the clear and white crayons that come with egg decorating kits for Easter. They don't leave any color on the crystals and pearls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

I just use a chopstick with a glue dot on the end that I tap on my jeans a few times to remove some of the stick. I just peal off the glue dot when I'm done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Silhouette-Pic.../dp/B0046BTZ8W
OMG! That's what that stuff is??? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes