Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-30-2007, 04:24 PM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You still use your paper trimmer to trim your photos, but this is what you would use to mat your photos or what ever else you would like layered.

Debbie

Quote:

Originally Posted by allornothingView Post
I'm intrigued. Could someone explain, without being too technical, how it works and why it's better than a paper trimmer. Also, does this mean that you don't use your paper trimmer anymore?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have it and don't use it much but love the look when I do and should use it more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 06:13 PM   #43  
Matboard Maniac

Smile Perfect Layers

Since I am a quilter and use a rotary mat, rulers, and cutter, I cut my cardstock with those tools. They are all available at JoAnn's. I use my older ones for stamping. Remember cutting tools that you use with fabric will be dulled by paper. I use the rotary cutter blades that are too dull for cutting fabric in the rotary cutter I use for stamping. These tools are easier for me to get accurate cuts.
locoop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 06:29 PM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm a quilter too!! How many pieces of cardstock do you end up cutting at once? Just one or have you been able to cut multiple layers accurately?

Wish I had thought of using some of my quilting tools... thks for the advice.

rita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 06:48 PM   #45  
Gallery Gazer

I feel really dumb but I cannot figure out how to use my perfect layers tool at all. I've only tried twice - I WANT to use it but just can't. My demo doesn't have it so I can't really ask her for a tutorial. My problem is that I can't figure out how to butt it up to the paper correctly. I bought SU's mat but maybe I should get out my CM one, as others suggested, and use that instead.

Another question - do you guys use the 1/4 mostly or do you use all the different inch options??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 06:51 PM   #46  
Polyshrink Goddess

Mine has been shipped from QVC. Am hoping it arrives before the weekend so I can play with it.

rita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2007, 06:56 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasketMomView Post
I feel really dumb but I cannot figure out how to use my perfect layers tool at all. I've only tried twice - I WANT to use it but just can't. My demo doesn't have it so I can't really ask her for a tutorial. My problem is that I can't figure out how to butt it up to the paper correctly. I bought SU's mat but maybe I should get out my CM one, as others suggested, and use that instead.

Another question - do you guys use the 1/4 mostly or do you use all the different inch options??
OK, I am going to try to explain how I use mine...I hope I can make it clear for you! The underside of the rulers have a lip on them. Butt the lip up to the top layer then slice down the outside layer of the ruler. For example, mount a photo on a piece of cs. Then, butt the lip up to the edge of the photo and cut off the excess cs that extends beyond the edge of the ruler. Clear as mud?!?! :rolleyes: Really, once you get the hang of it, you'll have a "DUH!" moment, just like me!! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 07:34 AM   #48  
Kookie Creator

It's true you can cut your mats by measuring out your project. I do that on occasion..

However, I love PL for when I have an "odd sized" photo that I cropped. I don't have to bother trying to figure out 3/8" from 5/8" or 1/2" or whatever... especially because the measurement marks on my tools are not that precise.

I just line up the mat paper, photo and desired PL tool side and in a second I have a perfect mat.

It's great when your working at 2 am and your brain can't do math anymore..... LOL! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 08:50 AM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

My paper keeps moving around...do you anchor it with a temp. dot or something? I can't eyeball it at all.

My mat is still on it's way and I can't wait to try it again. If it doesn't work I'll either try a rotary cutter or glass mat. I WILL CONQUER...(SP?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2007, 09:00 AM   #50  
Mad Swapper

You need to push down - depending on the paper sometimes I actually have to lean on the ruler.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2007, 02:59 AM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

Debbie...an update...I got my mat and knife and was very determined to use my perfect layers that's been sitting in the drawer. After half an hour I was able to DO I RIGHT!!

I could only do it after using temporary dots on the between the layers. Does anyone permanently glue the top layer before you start layering?

Thanks so much for the ecouragement. If it weren't for you and this thread I would still be having imperfect layers!! :p ...g

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie8400View Post
It is time to take it out of the box... All you have to do is butt up the ledge of the PL against what ever you are layering, and then take your blade and cut straight down the outside edge You are using the edge of the PL as your straight cut, and the inside ledge that is butted up against your picture as your layer.. Simple as that.. Each PL has I think 4 ledges for layering. This is one tool I can not live without... I hope I explained it right because I don't know what else to call the different sizes

Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2007, 04:11 AM   #52  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciezView Post
Debbie...an update...I got my mat and knife and was very determined to use my perfect layers that's been sitting in the drawer. After half an hour I was able to DO I RIGHT!!

I could only do it after using temporary dots on the between the layers. Does anyone permanently glue the top layer before you start layering?

Thanks so much for the ecouragement. If it weren't for you and this thread I would still be having imperfect layers!! :p ...g
Absolutely! Otherwise, it'll slide all around ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2007, 04:25 AM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Definitely stick your first layer down before you cut the second! That's why I love my Perfect Layers. I'm fine with all the measuring and cutting using a paper trimmer and whatnot, but when it comes to lining up layers so everything's straight, I'm horrible! I'll think something looks great and come back the next day and see how horribly crooked each layer is - it's almost comical! But when I use my PL, everything's already stuck down as I cut the layers, so it's all straight and even and pretty! Woo hoo!!!

<---- (Aren't my nephew & niece cute? They take after their aunt, I think!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2007, 01:31 PM   #54  
Cardstock Collector

Hi. I'm new here. Just curious. Do you measure and cut your first layer with your paper trimmer before you mount it and use the PL? I have wondered how well the PL works and I'm convinced to give it a try. Just wondering if there was some secret code to measuring and cutting that first layer as well. I seem to make a huge mess when working on my layers. Thanks, Vicky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #55  
Hardware Hotshot

The best glass cutting mat in the world, tempered glass! I bought a very large glass cutting board from Wal-Mart (they are not cheap, but well worth the $$). One side is textured, that is the side use use as a cutting board, but the other side is smooth!

I cut off the rubber feet and attached it to my stamping counter top with glue lines.

This is the best investment I've made! The craft knives do not harm the glass, it is easy to cut on, stamp on, clean up! Just joy to work on!

Perfect for my Perfect Layers too!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #56  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky SlupskiView Post
Hi. I'm new here. Just curious. Do you measure and cut your first layer with your paper trimmer before you mount it and use the PL? I have wondered how well the PL works and I'm convinced to give it a try. Just wondering if there was some secret code to measuring and cutting that first layer as well. I seem to make a huge mess when working on my layers. Thanks, Vicky
You cut your picture or stamped image, then mount it on your next piece of paper. Then using the PL, cut the bottom layer to the size you want, then continue until you get the desired look
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2007, 02:44 AM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

I am so happy that you finally were able to use what will now become your new favorite toy... Glad I was able to help...

Debbie

QUOTE=graciez;6037150]Debbie...an update...I got my mat and knife and was very determined to use my perfect layers that's been sitting in the drawer. After half an hour I was able to DO I RIGHT!!

Thanks so much for the ecouragement. If it weren't for you and this thread I would still be having imperfect layers!! :p ...g[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2007, 10:42 AM   #58  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for the info. That was how I understood it, but wanted to make sure. I am going to order my PL when I place a workshop order this weekend. Vicky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2007, 05:22 AM   #59  
Hardware Hotshot

Is the QVC one part metal like the SU one?

also does anyone have the link to the perfect layers tutoria? Someone here posted a great tutorial with pictures on how to use it and I can't find the tutorial anywhere now.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2007, 09:31 AM   #60  
Polyshrink Goddess

My PL from QVC is all plastic.

I don't think there was a tutorial here on PL. I may be wrong. It does come with pretty good insructions though. good luck..g
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #61  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't make a single card or scrapbook page without my Perfect Layers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2007, 04:30 PM   #62  
Matboard Maniac

Question Perfect Layers

I have had this set for several years. My daughter ordered 2 sets of them (she does scrapbooking) for us. However, I have never used them. If I am reading these messages right, instead of building a card up from the cardstock base, you work backwards - working from the top most layer down to the card base. Is this correct? I have a hard time getting the layers even and don't like the crooked look.
locoop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2007, 06:25 AM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Yes, you are correct, never thought of it that way, but you are work from the top layer down...picture (image) then cardstock and so on... Give it a try you'll see, you will love it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by locoopView Post
I have had this set for several years. My daughter ordered 2 sets of them (she does scrapbooking) for us. However, I have never used them. If I am reading these messages right, instead of building a card up from the cardstock base, you work backwards - working from the top most layer down to the card base. Is this correct? I have a hard time getting the layers even and don't like the crooked look.
locoop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2007, 06:27 AM   #64  
Cardstock Collector

You all have convinced me that I need to try Perfect Layers! Do you know of any advantages or disadvantages between the one from SU or QVC?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2007, 06:54 AM   #65  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyrabbitView Post
What kind of mat do you use with the tool? I have a CM and fiskars one, and I do like the CM one, but I am thinking I need to get a GLASS mat..thoughts??
I love my glass mats. There are a couple of different sizes and I recommend getting the larger size. They are great for cutting on and for providing a firm surface for stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2007, 07:21 AM   #66  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I don't think there was a tutorial here on PL. I may be wrong. It does come with pretty good insructions though. good luck..g

It wasn't an official SCS tutorial, rather a member here (a man, I think) did it on his own and posted a link to a pdf file or some sort of file with pics it was SO helpful and I should have saved it dangit.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2007, 07:53 AM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

I use my CM one... But when I originally purchased it, it came with a self healing mat... That is what my friends use... I guess use what works best for you.... If you have a mat in the house, use what you have, no need to go out a purchase an additoinal one...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyrabbitView Post
What kind of mat do you use with the tool? I have a CM and fiskars one, and I do like the CM one, but I am thinking I need to get a GLASS mat..thoughts??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2007, 08:07 AM   #68  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMNView Post
The Perfect Layers tool on QVC comes with four things:
  • one Perfect Layers tool for 1/8"W, 5/8"W, 1/4"W, and 3/8"W borders
  • one Perfect Layers tool for 1/16"W, 1/2"W, 3/16"W, and 5/16"W borders
  • one Perfect Layers tool for 3/4"W and 1"W borders
  • one Perfect Squares tool
You can do a search at http://www.qvc.com for item #F00911 or just search for Perfect Layers. Right now it's $19.60 + $4.47 shipping.

Stampin' Up sells just the two pieces for $22.95 + shipping.
I bought the one from SU when they first came out with it. I think I'd like this set better. I do use mine all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2007, 09:05 AM   #69  
Compulsive Stamper

Okay, I'm in the same boat as Graciez. I've had mine for forever and thought why did I buy it. I will be trying it this weekend on my dd album. How to you go about cutting down the large mats to save paper or do you worry about it? You ladies are all so wonderful and great at sharing...

Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2007, 11:57 AM   #70  
Mad Swapper

Well - I guess I need to order one too I have always eyeballed my layers - sometimes I'm on and sometimes I ruin a project! I didn't know this existed. Thanks for enabling me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2007, 03:15 PM   #71  
Stampin' Fool

You have convinced me, I just ordered mine from QVC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2007, 03:20 PM   #72  
Forum Fanatic

Love love love love my perfect layers!!!! Like others, I originally got it from QVC. I can't stamp without it! Did I mention I love it!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #73  
Compulsive Stamper

I really like my perfect layers also!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2007, 03:14 AM   #74  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinupcrazyView Post
Okay, I'm in the same boat as Graciez. I've had mine for forever and thought why did I buy it. I will be trying it this weekend on my dd album. How to you go about cutting down the large mats to save paper or do you worry about it? You ladies are all so wonderful and great at sharing...

Dawn

Hi...First of all, I can use the PL now...but it takes me forever to do that I get very impatient. I keep thinking I'm going to get faster at it. I'll keep plugging.

There has to be some secrets to using PL...anyone know any???? g
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2007, 03:51 AM   #75  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

I'm not sure I'm doing this "reply" right! Do you think there is an advantage or disadvantage to having the metal edge?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2007, 06:30 AM   #76  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

My PL from QVC has a metal edge!

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2007, 06:34 AM   #77  
Crimping Master

I love my Perfect Layers � when I was on the phone with SU once I asked her about it, how it worked and so on� And was surprised when she talked me out of getting it. Then I was watching QVC one day for a scrapbooking special and saw them do a demo with one. My order was placed before the end of the demo. Love, love love it.

Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game