Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-14-2008, 09:59 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Papertrey Products in comparison to SU

I am think of buying the Papertrey inks,ribbon and CS to start with. How are they in comparison to SU? I have all the SU so I am hesitant to jump into another company. I am loving the PTI colors though.

Please help me make up my mind.

TIA
Suzi
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

How are the prices--are they close, more or less than SU?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I have all the SU! colors and most of the Papertrey colors (only missing last months release). I would say that they are of equal quality, value and price. I think Papertrey's cardstock is thicker, much better for a card base in my opinion, and I like their variety of ribbon.

I was always the kind of child that had to have the largest box of Crayola crayons when the new one came out - I didn't want to miss out on any colors. So, for me, this is kind of the same thing. I know that I will be getting the same quality for roughly the same price, and now I just get to have lots more colors! Oh, and Papertrey has free shipping on all order of $40 (though that goes up tomorrow to $50).

I really don't think you can go wrong! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I have both Su and PTI and here are my thoughts:
1. I LOVE the thickness of PTI Cs. The white is SO thick that you can stamp on one side, but if you mess up, you can turn it over and stamp again, so it's like you have a second chance to use the CS and not waste it. With SU white, I've found that most of the inks show through enough that you can't use the back if you mess up.
2. I love the Perfect match PTI ink because it's a hybrid dye-pigment so it not only adheres better to the stamps (especially clear stamps) but it leaves a nice bold impression on the CS, much bolder than plain dye ink. AND even the light colors show up for sentiments!
3. The PTI ribbon is excellent quality. Everything that describes these ribbons on the PTI website is perfectly accurate and is NOT just a bunch of mumbo to "make" you buy it. Even though it does make me buy it, it IS in fact, true, down to every word.
4. I like that the PTI colors also coordinate extremely well WITH SU colors.

Even after saying all this, the Su cardstock and ink still are quality products and I will never give them up. I'm just happy to have even MORE colors, the PTI colors to use in conjunction with my SU stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 10:52 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

I have some of the new cardstock, ink and ribbon. I think there products are great quality. Love the cardstock. Havent used the ink enough to know if it compares, but works great with their clear stamps. I really like SU's ribbon tho. I have only bought the polka dot ribbon from PT so I cant really compare the two. I say do a small order and see how you like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I have all of the SU colors, too, and will probably end up with all the PTI colors as well. The PTI cardstock is more sturdy, as has been said. I don't have the polka dot or grosgrain ribbon, but have the twill, saddlestitch and satin. The twill is fabulous! I almost drooled on it.

With the free shipping option, I'm adding the ribbon and paper slowly as an add-on to a stamp order, so it's not as painful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Great thread!

I am going to order the mail box set that is going to be released tonight, so excited!!! I was also thinking of getting some ink, cardstock and ribbon.

Currently I use the Georgia Pacific white cardstock from Walmart it is sooooo cheap and good quality. I wonder if PTI is even better? Whisper White just doesn't work for me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Their cardstock is heavier for both the colors and white. Colors are gorgeous and the ribbons to dye for. I bought the (not the buy it all), but the packages of one color paper, ink and ribbon combination two at a time to get free shipping.

I was wondering when their next colors were coming out and you just let me know.

I also have SU cardstock, but not all colors. Building up that inventory also. However, I am less than thrilled with the ink as many of my dye inks (especially the black) seem to dip in the middle. I have made a few cards with my new PaperTrey ink and paper and am delighted.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by SavvyKatView Post
Great thread!

I am going to order the mail box set that is going to be released tonight, so excited!!! I was also thinking of getting some ink, cardstock and ribbon.

Currently I use the Georgia Pacific white cardstock from Walmart it is sooooo cheap and good quality. I wonder if PTI is even better? Whisper White just doesn't work for me.
I think the PTI white paper is better! It is thicker, smoother and more "white" to me than the GP. I also think that the GP doesn't accept ink as nicely as PTI's white does. Just my opinion, but I don't think you'd be sorry if you bought some to try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

I only have the papertrey white CS, but it is absolutely the best CS I have ever seen or used! I did have to find my scoring blade to use on it because it is so thick. Way better than the Georgia Pacific CS and even better than SU's WW CS as well!

I haven't tried the inks and ribbon yet but I have only heard good things about them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I have several colors of the PTI colored cardstock plus the white. I like them as well as SU colors, and really like that they are thicker....BUT...the PTI white cardstock doesn't have as smooth a finish as SU's white....so I don't think the images come out as crisp. That being said I use it for different things....like card bases (because it's thicker), and for images I plan to watercolor because it doesn't pill up. I still prefer the SU white for stamping solid color images because I think they "pop" a little more.

Oh and I love the PTI ribbon....I only have the polkadot and twill and since SU doesn't have these I can't really compare, but I will definatly be getting more!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

I love everything from PTI. I have all of the SU paper, inks, ribbons, etc and I feel that the PTI stuff is of better quality and the colors are so wonderful. I still like my SU stuff but I do think that I will continue to buy all of the PTI paper and inks and ribbons. I like that you can buy the paper in a smaller size and the ribbons are shorter in length which is also nice. I know some added about the free shipping but for me, I also save on the tax b/c PTI doesn't have to charge it. Just my thoughts. Good luck, once you get started. . .
Jodi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Oh, no tax is a big plus also! I have all the SU paper and ink and most of the ribbon. I absolutely love PTI stuff. The white CS is the best I have found for card bases and one-layer cards. Their colors are really pretty, too. I am moving next month and am no hurry to find a new SU demo, as long as I can get my PTI fix every month! It is that good!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouInkItView Post
I have all the SU! colors and most of the Papertrey colors (only missing last months release). I would say that they are of equal quality, value and price. I think Papertrey's cardstock is thicker, much better for a card base in my opinion, and I like their variety of ribbon.

I was always the kind of child that had to have the largest box of Crayola crayons when the new one came out - I didn't want to miss out on any colors. So, for me, this is kind of the same thing. I know that I will be getting the same quality for roughly the same price, and now I just get to have lots more colors! Oh, and Papertrey has free shipping on all order of $40 (though that goes up tomorrow to $50).

I really don't think you can go wrong! ;)
Hmmmm, I hadn't heard that the minimum for free shipping was going up! :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 04:28 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

Papertrey is my favorite! For price, quality, the free shipping. The new colors are a light purple and a kraft. Can't wait to get it, I see some of the stamps are listed already but the paper and ribbon might not go up till the 15th.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriseoView Post
Papertrey is my favorite! For price, quality, the free shipping. The new colors are a light purple and a kraft. Can't wait to get it, I see some of the stamps are listed already but the paper and ribbon might not go up till the 15th.
Ditto.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by tx stamperView Post
I have both Su and PTI and here are my thoughts:
1. I LOVE the thickness of PTI Cs. The white is SO thick that you can stamp on one side, but if you mess up, you can turn it over and stamp again, so it's like you have a second chance to use the CS and not waste it. With SU white, I've found that most of the inks show through enough that you can't use the back if you mess up.
2. I love the Perfect match PTI ink because it's a hybrid dye-pigment so it not only adheres better to the stamps (especially clear stamps) but it leaves a nice bold impression on the CS, much bolder than plain dye ink. AND even the light colors show up for sentiments!
3. The PTI ribbon is excellent quality. Everything that describes these ribbons on the PTI website is perfectly accurate and is NOT just a bunch of mumbo to "make" you buy it. Even though it does make me buy it, it IS in fact, true, down to every word.
4. I like that the PTI colors also coordinate extremely well WITH SU colors.

Even after saying all this, the Su cardstock and ink still are quality products and I will never give them up. I'm just happy to have even MORE colors, the PTI colors to use in conjunction with my SU stuff.
I TOTALLY Agree!!! I can't wait to order the Lavender Moon!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2008, 07:11 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriseoView Post
Me three.:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2008, 07:28 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

I place my first PTI order a few days ago and another one today. I ordered the aqua mist, sweet blush, berry sorbet, lemon tart, and lavender moon packs (paper, ribbon, and ink) and a couple of stamp sets. I can't wait to play with my new stuff and this thread has really made me anxious to get it!

Check out My Gallery!

Proud Army wife!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2008, 07:38 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

I'm so glad I found this post - albeit a few hours late! I placed my first PTI order this morning and now I wish I'd ordered their white CS too! I've been apprehensive about ordering from them since I started stamping with SU and wasn't sure about investing in another company. I just couldn't resist the lavender though! And the Honey Bees - can't wait to get that set!

"God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him." John 3:17, NRSV
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2008, 08:14 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathycView Post
Hmmmm, I hadn't heard that the minimum for free shipping was going up! :confused:
It went up today. There was a notice posted on the front page of the website.

Still, free shipping for $50 isn't bad! I know I always spend at least $50 when I shop there! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2008, 08:18 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Does there cardstock come in 12X12 or just 8.5x11?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2008, 08:20 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Their cardstock only comes in 8.5x11, but their patterned paper comes in 12x12 or 6x6
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunnystamperView Post
I am think of buying the Papertrey inks,ribbon and CS to start with. How are they in comparison to SU? I have all the SU so I am hesitant to jump into another company. I am loving the PTI colors though.

Please help me make up my mind.

TIA
Suzi
I have ordered a few of their colors and have been very happy with both the cardstock and the ink, as well as the ribbons and the patterned paper. However, I have become very frustrated b/c the reinkers have not been available for several months in some colors. They seem to sell out quickly and take a long time to be restocked. I have been trying to buy the aqua mist reinker since March.

I don't like this and it's becoming very frustrating and almost a dealbreaker for me. I have asked about his and have gotten no satisfying answer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think their ribbons are so beautiful and a very excellant value at $3.00 for 15 feet. Their cardstock colors are $5.00 for 24 sheets. Wonderful quality. I am ordering everything and I am an SU demo with all their stuff too. I have room on the shelf for all of it.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

After reading all these posts just raving about PTI CS, I had to make an order! I can't wait to get it! Thanks ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2008, 05:07 PM   #27  
Glitter Guru

I got my first order in today, and I LOVE my new PTI stuff!

Check out My Gallery!

Proud Army wife!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Default PTI Stamps Rock.

I am *EXTREMELY* pleased with my PTI stamps. I think that price-wise, they are a better value than SU! sets. And I absolutely *love* the compactness of the PTI sets - they come in their own clear CD cases. As far as acrylic stamps go, I think PTI is one of the top two manufacturers on the market. ~ kbc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Can someone confirm that the colors are different from SU colors too? I want to order some, but I have all SU colors and don't want to buy a color very similar to an SU color.
I've read from another post that Aqua Mist is different from Soft Sky, a little darker and more green too. What about the other colors? Are all of them different from SU!, enough to be worth it having both?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh, I just saw side-by-side pictures for Spring Moss and Aqua Mist on PTI's blog. That's great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

Yes they are all different! I have all of SU colors and PTI colors and love the PTI ones and they are definately different. You will love them.
Thanks, Jodi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

Nicoles Blog (you can get to it on the bottom of the Papertrey website) usually shows a nice comparison to SU colors. PTI's are always slightly different, never the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 08:01 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

I just tried to order Berry Sorbet off of Papertrey, is it out of stock? Its a lovely color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

I like both
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like both, too, but I have to say the PTI paper is much thicker and the colors are really yummy. I'm glad I can enjoy BOTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2008, 04:29 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

I guess I am the odd person out. I don't buy SU anything except tools at this point as PTI CS is way thicker/better IMHO.
The difference with copics is particularly stunning. The PTI White and now Ivory are awesome for that.
I also like acrylics better than mounted rubbah...
I wish SU would offer two ways to buy stamps... with wood & without. I'd buy here and there if the prices were more reasonable and they didn't send you all the wood blocks.
ok... I'm going in a different direction.
Take care,
em
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #37  
Gabfest Goddess

anyone know if the berry shorbet or spring moss matches SU? There was no comparison on her blog for those. But the ribbons are so scrumptous think I have to order them all!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 04:29 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtlescrapperView Post
anyone know if the berry shorbet or spring moss matches SU? There was no comparison on her blog for those. But the ribbons are so scrumptous think I have to order them all!!!!
Here are the comparisons on Nichole's blog:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

I love PT cardstock. Its all I use now. I do have SU but I found PT to be much thicker and better for my watercoloring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #40  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMNView Post
Here are the comparisons on Nichole's blog:
Thank you so much!!!! I don't know why I couldn't find that but I just couldn't! I will be placing an order this week. I want the leafy ribbon but it's sold out. waaaahhhhh!
Reply With Quote Likes