Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-11-2022, 07:00 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Paper Trimmer Recommendation

Looking for recommendations for a good paper trimmer that is easy on the budget.
I have a Fisker's and I have a current Stampin Up Trimmer.

I love the Stampin Up Trimmer, except for one thing, The measurment markings (1/8 etc.) are hard to read. I tried taking a fine point sharpie to mark the most used measurements, but I am afraid that even by marking those places, it could make my measurements off.(meaning I might not get my mark just perfect)

So any recommendations with easier to read markings is appreciated.

The Fiskars is easier to read, but doesn't cut as well, in my opinion

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2022, 04:23 AM   #2  

Received 275 Likes on 162 Posts

I just read yesterday here on SCS that someone used a yellow washi tape under the measurements on her trimmer to make it easier to read. That method might be worth trying. Also, someone else posted that the trimmer sold at Hobby Lobby is the same trimmer that SU sells, so you might find replacement blades there.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2022, 06:53 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I have the Fiskars Sure Cut Card Making and Scrapbooking paper trimmers. I really like the thin wire that runs down over the cutting channel. I get very precise cuts that are exactly where I want them to be. Fiskars Website

I also have the small and large guillotine cutters by Tonic. I use those when I need to do a lot of cutting and want to cut more than one sheet at a time. Mine have orange rubber grips and accents, but they're the same cutters. Tonic Website

I had been using the old purple Fiskars cutters, and I used them for 18 years. Only recently have I had to stop using them because the channels are all cut up, and now the cuts are jagged.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2022, 01:48 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I sure am glad somebody brought this up. I have a Fiskars rotary trimmer I got at Michaels years ago, on sale. I find it very hard to find the cutting channel on the right-hand side. It's a tiny thin line on a black background. Also, I don't know if I'm not holding the paper correctly or what, but sometimes I get crooked cuts. I don't do a lot of cardmaking or large amounts, so I don't want to spend a lot on a new trimmer.

I'll check out the ones Scrapjanny recommended. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2022, 03:23 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I have the Fiskars Sure Cut Card Making and Scrapbooking paper trimmers. I really like the thin wire that runs down over the cutting channel. I get very precise cuts that are exactly where I want them to be. Fiskars Website ...
I just had to check on this website, and they do offer replacement trimmer channel bars for sale. I still have my old beloved Fiskars, which I finally retired years ago due in part to the worn out cutter bar. Nice to see they do have it if you have the right trimmer. You might check to be sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Scrapjanny (02-25-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 03:37 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
I just had to check on this website, and they do offer replacement trimmer channel bars for sale. I still have my old beloved Fiskars, which I finally retired years ago due in part to the worn out cutter bar. Nice to see they do have it if you have the right trimmer. You might check to be sure.
I'm not sure if the cutter bar needs replacing. Actually I think the model I have had a reversible one that you could flip over, which I did. My problem is that the rotary blade housing is right over the channel, and the bar that holds the paper down is too, so if I need to trim a small piece off, say, the side of a photo, I can't see what I'm doing. I see there are a few cutters out there that have clear plastic parts and that may be my answer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2022, 01:53 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Marilyn, did you ever figure out a new trimmer to get?

I am needing one that cuts square - ie for cards. I am making my daughter's wedding invites and just found out that my fiskars one is not cutting accurate..... I have had this one for a very long time... I have read a lot on here and now I am totally confused on which one to get.... I was thinking $100 max?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2022, 02:11 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momof9BlessingsView Post
... ,,, I am needing one that cuts square - ie for cards. I am making my daughter's wedding invites and just found out that my fiskars one is not cutting accurate..... I have had this one for a very long time... I have read a lot on here and now I am totally confused on which one to get.... I was thinking $100 max?
Lori, here's the Dahle cutter I purchased when my Carl cutter had to be retired. The self-sharpening feature is wonderful in that cuts are crisp every time, and I was familiar with the quality due to having used a large pro version for prepping kindergarten materials. Mine was more than $100 but about half as much as some of the pricier/premier cutters. I know this can be a tough decision. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Likes