Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a HL close to you, they sell them there for $2 I think it is.. maybe $3. I plan on stocking up next time I go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricecheckView Post
I have a Cutterpede and I need a new track where the blade runs but can't seem to find them anywhere. I wish I had known that before I bought it.
I have a Purple Cow and love it but sometimes I need a smaller cutter for those close cuts. The PC has that wide bar that obstructs my view of where I am cutting (when I do close cuts)

I think I will buy a Fiskars cutter to replace the Cutterpede since the tracks can be replaced. My daughter has one and it cuts very nicely.

Last edited by shellylovestostamp; 10-21-2008 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: ****sorry didn't see that it posted*******
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricecheckView Post
I have a Cutterpede and I need a new track where the blade runs but can't seem to find them anywhere. I wish I had known that before I bought it.
If you have a HL near you they sell the tracks there for $2 or $3. I plan on stocking up next time I go. They are right underneath the actual cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 02:18 AM   #43  
Matboard Maniac

I hear your pain!

I've had quite a few trimmers over the years:
  • the ProvoCraft Zision trimmer (OK, but went through the blades too quickly),
  • the Carl PRT100 (never cut straight),
  • Cutterpede (the worst of them all), and
  • the Fiskars ultimate rotary cutter (OK but still not 100%).

I wasn't 100% happy with any of them and kept going back to my hand held rotary cutter and quilting ruler for matting photos etc. I then gave in and thought one last try and bought a Making Memories trimmer and am extremely happy with it. Straight cuts everytime & no need to replace the blades (self sharpening). I love it. I had heard there was a bad batch of trimmers at one stage, so it may be worth returning the trimmer & asking for a replacement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 09:22 AM   #44  
Cardstock Collector

I love my 12" Tonic Guillotine Cutter for the best all-around cutting and trimming. I cut paper and heavy cardstock with it and it continues to cut beautifully straight. For portability, I have a Fiskars trimmer that I only use for paper. After many frustrating years of replacing Fiskars blades, I'm finally satisfied with my solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 09:55 AM   #45  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Making Memories Paper Cutter

I too, started with the Fiskars cutter but noticed that my paper never cut straight or scored straight. I truly feel you get what you pay for in this case, so I used a Michael's 50% off coupon and purchased a Making Memories Cutter. I love this cutter and I did come into some trouble with it one time because I tried to cut too many sheets at a time and it started to give my paper the jagged edges you spoke of. There is a simple solution to that, the blade is off track. All you have to do is take the blade off the bar, put it back on and try again, it should go back to working perfectly. Don't take it back, it is a great paper cutter!

Theresa
Colorado Springs, CO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #46  
Rubber Obsessor

I have 3 paper trimmers that I use for different purposes. Two of them are Carl brand, one is the RC 100 that I use for most everything - and I also have a 18" Carl DC238 Heavy Duty Rotary Cutter that cuts through 10 pcs of cardstock perfectly every time. I love both the Carl trimmers, the blades are easy to get and interchange with perforated edge, victorian, scoring, etc. I have a small portable Fiskears for when I go visiting with my stuff. It is not so great but good for quick cuts needed when scrapbooking while traveling or visiting...Good luck with your search!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 11:01 AM   #47  
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to scubasubie

I have a fiskars 12" cutter that has an interchangeable blade (also came with a scoring blade)

Here's a link:

http://www.fiskarscrafts.com/tools/t...paper-tri.aspx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paper Trimmer Agony - still searching for the perfect trimmer

Quote:

Originally Posted by emarcksView Post
What about the one that SU! sells for $49.95? How does that work? Don't have it but I heard that it's great.
This is the exact same cutter as the Tonic guillotine cutter. I got a great deal at joann.com for half the price of the SU cutter which is $49.95 + 10% s/h + 6% tax. Even with hostess benefits and demo discount I could not match the Joann sale price. (I am a hobby demo, so demos who get higher volume rebates and want points for cruise would be better off getting the SU cutter.)

I really do like it for cutting one sheet of paper at a time, where the cuts are 1/4" increments.

Cons:

> Cutting bed is marked in 1/4" increments
> the meaurement bar at the top is raised close to 1/4" from the bed.
- if you need measurements other than those marked on the bed it is hard to get an even cut.
-If you are doing 1/8" or 1/16" increments it really is a crap shoot. I revert to my Fiskar's personal trimmer.

> there is a gap between the extension handle and the bed - so there is a 1/4" or more section that has no measurements.
> I don't like to leave the handle on when I am not using it, I am concerned it will get broken. So it is a little inconvenient to have to take it off and slide it into the storage slot on the bottom.

> Hard to cut strips of paper less than 1 1/2 - 2" wide - it really is close to impossible to cut anything that is narrower than the paper guard, because it is so hard to place under the paper guard.

It does cut evenly and cleanly, and I do reach for it about half the time. If I could do it again, I would spring for the 12" trimmer with the full size bed.

The rest of the time I use the Fiskars European trimmer.

When I need to do bulk cutting I use my Carl DC 220 Professional Rotary Cutter.

Someone mentioned the Genesis cutter - it is a wonderful trimmer, but it is designed to cut paper, photographs and one sheet of cardstock. It will not cut matboard and other materials. Also there is a very long waiting list for this cutter. The last I heard it was 1 1/2 years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #49  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 330 Likes on 218 Posts

I have had the Dahle 507 for at least four years and the only problems have been user problems. Brilliant cutter, strong, sharp roller blade, great measurements. Cost me big time to start, but worth every cent!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #50  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheckerView Post
I have the wide base tonic. I loved it for a few years, but now it chews up the bottom inch of the paper- no matter if it is a 4 inch or 12 inch piece!
I have cleaned it several times and still have this problem.
Sigh.
So I dunno what I am going to do!

Anne
I have the same problem. I've used tin foil to sharpen the blade and that works great. We have been adjusting the screw at the top which adjusts the arm. Play with that for a while and see if that helps. I absolutely LOVE my Tonic. I use it to cut, score the card with my Scor-It and then use the top lip of the Tonic to perfectly align the card edges and my perfectionism is satisfied!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 12:53 PM   #51  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A number of years ago my husband surprised me with a paper cutter for our anniversary. It is a guillotine style and measures 12x12. I think a person could fine something similar at an office supply store. The brand name on mine is Premier. When I started stamping I always had to go to our library to cut my cardstock with their papercutter. I just love this papercutter. I can cut the cardstock how I want it and also make layers. Only thing it that it is hard to cut 12x12 paper, but I can adjust to that. It makes my cardmaking go so much easier. I also use PTI cardstock and have no trouble cutting it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #52  
Stampin' Fool

[QUOTE=ShariW;11779037]I have the same problem. I've used tin foil to sharpen the blade and that works great. QUOTE]

Thanks! I did have my dad tighten the screw- I like the arm to stay up!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheckerView Post
How many sheets can you cut with that one?

Looks pretty nice. How long have you had it?

Anne
You can cut 20 sheets of construction paper at a time, or about ten sheets of cardstock, had mine for 30 years!
I bought mine because of being an Art teacher and needing to cut paper at home to get ready for classes.
I know that is a lot of money to spend on a cutter. However I see that people buy 2 or 3 cutters before they find one they like. By the time you have done that you could have gotten the grand daddy of all cutters and be happy for life. I do have a small portable fiskars cutter I bought for the days I am on the go, it in no way compares to this one. The others seem like toys to me.

Last edited by Nicole's Mom; 10-22-2008 at 02:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 02:55 PM   #54  
Matboard Maniac

Oh, every time I see a thread like this I peruse it with so much hope, lol. I have several Fiskars...still like the one like SU sells, but all the teachers at school borrow it and I'm the only one buying the replacement blades! I bought the Memory Makers one at Michael's last year and love(d) it...but I had the same problem as some people here. All of a sudden it shredded my cardstock if I did more than 1 cut at a time. I bought a new one and so far, so good...I will take the blade off and clean as suggested...thanks so much for the great responses here.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #55  
Mad Swapper

Default Dahle cutter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessrose21View Post
Ditto on the Dahle!! I have the 440 rotary trimmer and love it. Worth EVERY penny!! I'm going to get one of Dahle's smaller ones, too, for portability. The paper trimmer is the most important thing for a card maker and is the best investment you can make. Remember, you get what you pay for.

I too love the Dahle but want a small trimmer - does Dahle make one smaller than the 12 in paper one? Thanks, Valda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #56  
Glitter Queen

Kim,
I have a very old Fiskar Rotary full deck that I have had for at least 20 years. I just replaced it because I could not find the mat that goes under the blade. That is the only reason I replaced it and I was able to find another Fiskar Rotary full deck paper cutter at Hobby Lobby. I used a 40% off coupon and got it for about $40.00. Worth every penny to me as you will always get the squarest, most even cut with the Fiskar.
I bought the Making Memory about a month ago and took it back. I bought the samller deck Cuttlebug which is ok for travle but does not give very square cuts. I held out replacing until I found another Fiskar! Just my preference.
Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 06:50 PM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I have using a CM 12" cutter for about 3-4 years, and haven't had a problem. I have had to change the blade, but it didn't seem like an unreasonable amount of time or cuts when I changed it. JMHO
Jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #58  
Cardstock Collector

I have also tried many different cutters but I've had the best luck with the Making Memories one. Recently, it started cutting ragged edges and their customer service advised me to remove the cutting apparatus and clean the track. When that didn't solve the problem, they sent me a replacement right away. Their customer service is excellent!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #59  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by valminView Post
I too love the Dahle but want a small trimmer - does Dahle make one smaller than the 12 in paper one? Thanks, Valda
The Dahle 500 is a 9 inch trimmer and the Dahle 507 is a 12 inch, but doesn't have the 12 inch full deck. The best price I've seen so far is about $40 at www.factory-express.com. I've never purchased from there, so I can't vouch for their service. HTH!

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #60  
Insane Embellisher

Default As Seen on TV

You know, the one with the light under the cutting space ? And it has a half dozen different blades to go with it. I haven't used it much, just getting used to it now, but it gets easier with practice. It was $19.95 or something like that on eBay.

I also have the two sizes of the Fiskars. With any trimmer, I prefer to cut just one sheet of anything at a time......takes awhile, but not as much chance of shifting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 03:52 AM   #61  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaparhamView Post
You know, the one with the light under the cutting space ? And it has a half dozen different blades to go with it. I haven't used it much, just getting used to it now, but it gets easier with practice. It was $19.95 or something like that on eBay.

I also have the two sizes of the Fiskars. With any trimmer, I prefer to cut just one sheet of anything at a time......takes awhile, but not as much chance of shifting.
Someone gave me one of those and I haven't had much luck with cutting thicker CS like Papertrey. If sometimes doesn't go all the way through and you really have to push down hard. Plus it's difficult to get it lined up straight since there is only a thin arm at the top to measure with. I would not recommend it to anyone looking for ease of use and quality cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 07:04 AM   #62  
Insane Embellisher

I had to just jump in on this one, because I've been looking for a new cutter...I have a trusty Cutterbee, but it no longer cuts straight (even after having *just* replaced the blade AND mat!), so I'm going to have to retire it. Fiskars IS the old faithful, imo, but I don't really care for the plastic blade track/ruler.

I'm almost tempted to try the SU guillotine cutter, just for a change of pace. Thank you all for your suggestions!
Avatar is my DDs Rachel and Maddy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 07:22 AM   #63  
Hardware Hotshot

Here is my solution!
http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalo...uestid=1939005
It's a guillotine cutter, and I LOVE it!! It is bulky to take to crops, but it is lightweight, so I take it anyway.
It ALWAYS cuts straight. It never frays my cardstock. One trick I learned is that the edge you butt up against on guillotine cutters is not always where you need to be. I line mine up with the lines on the cutter, and the laser tells me where is is going to cut...and voila! Straight, perfect cut!
This was my best/favorite investment! Right up there with my ATG!

Last edited by Erin in Okc; 10-23-2008 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: website link didn't work
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 07:37 AM   #64  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
boy, I too could have written the original post. Started with a 12x12 fiskars with the metal arm and 45 mm blades. Very good but I didn't like how big it was considering my table at the time was about the same size! Went to a cutterpede and love it, except I also broke the swing arm. 'Repaired' the swing arm with a popsicle stick and glue dots and it sort of works. Most of my cuts are smaller than where it broke. Bought another to use for cutting and relegated with first to scoring only. Broke it too. Repaired it with a Popsicle stick and thread wound through tiny holes I drilled with dremel. Works well, now it is the scorer. When I started with SU! I bought the fiskars triple track-crap for a perfectionist. I don't know how anyone uses it! Went to a carl cutter because I heard good things. Even bought replacement blades and mat because I bought it in the states and I am in Canada. $50 later, not straight! Ugh! Then I bought an X-acto brand laser guided guillotine cutter. Similar prolem cutting under 2" and I do not find I can cut more than 2 sheets of SU! cs at time. Then the laser broke and I really used it a lot! It doesnt have 1/8" markings though! So now I stick with my broken and patched together cutterpedes along with the guillotine for basic cuts, kit prep and cuts with 12x12 paper just to be sure it is straight. I think I will try calling EK to see if I can get new arms!

BTW, my cutterpedes both cut smooth as silk so you should try another, maybe yours was defective, not simply a bad cutter. Just NEVER drop it or sit on it! AMHIK! Also, don't forget you can flip the cutterpede mat and turn it end for end as well giving you tons of life. If your cuts get stiff or your paper has hairs, try flipping before getting new blades. I almost never have to change blades and the mats are only about $3-5 for two, way cheaper than he blades. I just wish the scallop blade fit properly. When I cut with it, it actually cuts beyond the mat and into the bed of the cutter. Maybe mine just isn't straight anymore. Maybe I'll see what the company has to say about that when I call!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 07:42 AM   #65  
Hardware Hotshot

I wanted to mention all of the other cutters I have tried, that failed me:
Original Gray Fiskar's
Rotary Fiskar's
Creative Memories 12" cutter
Newer, orange Fiskar's trimmer (this one cuts straighter longer than the original, but you still have the problem of fraying cardstock, changing out blades often, etc.)

I have now had my X-Acto laser trimmer between two and three years, and the only problem I have had was when the paper guide thingy fell off because I take it with me to every crop. But it is not a necessary thing. I never used it, and now it's gone. Not a big deal. It's right up there with the Premier one somebody posted earlier from the office supply store for $100...only it's lightweight and cheaper. And it has an accurate laser. Oh, and it has a good lock on the handle that keeps it in place when you're not using it. Meaning the handle won't move when you lock it.
I can't say enough about this trimmer! It is a popular thing at my crops, and people come over and use it all the time. I post about it every single time somebody posts about trimmer woes!

One thing...I still use my CM guillotine personal trimmer for smaller cuts. But anything that I need to measure over the 4 inches showing on the CM trimmer, I use my x-acto. I generally have the X-acto over on the corner of my table for when I need to cut a 12" piece of cardstock. I DEFINITELY recommend it for getting those perfect 6" squares from a 12" piece of cardstock-works like a dream!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #66  
Crimping Master

Default trimmers

hi. just thought I'd jump in with my 2 cents. I recently bought a making memories precision paper trimmer. Absolutely love it. It's got a self sharpening blade and it fold for easy portability. It's not heavy and it has lots of grids for ease of cutting. It cuts through vellum easily and cuts anything less than 1 mm. I am very impressed. It was a bit pricey but got it with a 50% off coupon from Michael's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 07:52 AM   #67  
Glitter Guru

Has anyone tried the purple cows trimmers??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 07:53 AM   #68  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 312 Likes on 223 Posts

I have a Fiskars, a Creative Memories and a Provocraft- hate them all...

all of them leave the cardstock shredded and i always have to trim.
The Provocraft is the worst- it was a cheapie at HL and i only use it for the scoring blade.
I had the creative memories one before i started stamping and it worked fine for scrapping but i think its terrible on my cardstock. I have changed the blades and still the same chewed edge problem...the Fiskars is about the same...(although i haven't changed the blade on it yet.)
I NEED something RELIABLE!!
nothing is hidden that will not become evident, nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light. Luke 8:17
~Sara~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 08:03 AM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin in OkcView Post
Here is my solution!
http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalo...uestid=1939005
It's a guillotine cutter, and I LOVE it!! It is bulky to take to crops, but it is lightweight, so I take it anyway.
It ALWAYS cuts straight. It never frays my cardstock. One trick I learned is that the edge you butt up against on guillotine cutters is not always where you need to be. I line mine up with the lines on the cutter, and the laser tells me where is is going to cut...and voila! Straight, perfect cut!
This was my best/favorite investment! Right up there with my ATG!
Mmmm I may have to buy this one if my old X-acto ever wears out. My daughter bought me this X-acto 5 years ago. http://www.cheapjoes.com/art-supply/...immer-wood.asp I wasn't sure that's what I wanted, but after trying it I wouldn't part with it. Always get crisp straight cuts, even when I just need to trim a tiny sliver, and it will cut through many layers at a time. It's been a great cutter.

Friends are like the walls of a house. Sometimes they hold you up, sometimes you lean on them. But sometimes, it's enough to know they're just standing by.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #70  
Stampin' Fool

I spent a lot of time on the boards researching after becoming frustrated with yet another cutter....and I ended up getting the Tonic guillotine with the smaller base. I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #71  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 99 Likes on 59 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubasubieView Post
I have a fiskars 12" cutter that has an interchangeable blade (also came with a scoring blade)

Here's a link:

http://www.fiskarscrafts.com/tools/t...paper-tri.aspx
I have this rotarty one as well and haven't had any crooked cuts yet. I also like that it's more portable than the larger desk one I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #72  
Crimping Master

I have 3 paper cutters all of which work great! I have the portable orange fiskars with 3 different blades I purchased seperately. It works great! I've never had an issue getting a straight cut. I also have the small purple cow one which is nice as well and came with 3 different blades. And I have the
15" guillitione cutter by Boston.I can cut a ton of paper at the same time on that one. And I purchased that one from someone on craigslist for ten bucks. It takes up a lot of room, but it's worth every inch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #73  
Rubber Obsessor

Has anyone tried this Xacto one? http://www.dickblick.com/zz571/42/

I have gone through many cutters, too. My Making Memories one never cut straight, and I had thrown out the box and couldn't find my receipt to get it replaced. Maybe I'll drop them a line. After all, it was $50+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2008, 04:33 AM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I have this trimmer, too and love it. You can take the cutting apparatus apart and clean the track. At the top of the trimmer is a red button that you slide. Then you can remove the entire cutting arm which has the blade attached. Try cleaning it thoroughly and see if that helps.

When I first got mine, I cut a bunch of cheaper cardstock from a stack pack and got lots of paper dust in the groove and it was doing the same thing, shredding the edges of the cardstock. After I took it apart I haven't had the problem again.

I get straight cuts with no shredding on the edges.
Thank you buggainok! Last night I took my Making Memories cutter apart. It seems the cutting blade was off track from the manufacturer. I put it back together and it cut beautifully last night. It will get a real test this weekend. If it works I'm going to keep it because I like the full 12" base, the magnetic metal ruler and all of the cutting measurements. I may invest in a guillotine style down the road if this one doesn't work out.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2008, 09:20 AM   #75  
Crimping Master

Default thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampaholic17View Post
Thank you buggainok! Last night I took my Making Memories cutter apart. It seems the cutting blade was off track from the manufacturer. I put it back together and it cut beautifully last night. It will get a real test this weekend. If it works I'm going to keep it because I like the full 12" base, the magnetic metal ruler and all of the cutting measurements. I may invest in a guillotine style down the road if this one doesn't work out.
Thanks to both of you for this info. I didn't know you could take it apart. I was afraid I'd break it so just left it alone. Nice to know. Then again, I haven't had mine for very long!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #76  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by walshes5View Post
Has anyone tried this Xacto one? http://www.dickblick.com/zz571/42/

I have gone through many cutters, too. My Making Memories one never cut straight, and I had thrown out the box and couldn't find my receipt to get it replaced. Maybe I'll drop them a line. After all, it was $50+!
That's my trimmer exactly! Just from a different place. LOVE it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2008, 04:37 AM   #77  
Matboard Maniac

Default SU (Tonic) trimmer

Quote:

Originally Posted by sockmonkey89View Post
I'm almost tempted to try the SU guillotine cutter, just for a change of pace. Thank you all for your suggestions!
This is the same as the Tonic 12" cutter with 6" bed. It is the exaxt same thing except SU has theirs produced in black. It is available tight now at Amazon $31.45 + $11.95 shipping = $43.41 versus SU $49.95 + 10%S/H $5.00 + 6% tax = $58.24.

Amazon:
http://tinyurl.com/5vdg75

HSN has it 31.95 + $4.95 shipping
http://tinyurl.com/6fzyhk

But if you or a friend have a party and want the sales, then it might be worth it to get the SU cutter if you can get it free or buying it thows you into another sales level for that hostess set you want real bad and a level where the free stuff goes up by $10. Otherwise, there is no way you are ahead unless you want it but don't want to lay out the cash. If you can get it as free merchandise, you do save the $5, but you spending $49.95 of free stuff and you have to pay the tax.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #78  
Insane Embellisher

I too have been on the quest for the perfect paper trimmer, with no luck. after reading these posts i went and ordered the tonic guillitene becuase i have had about every rotary trimmer out there and have had no luck with any of them. I hope the tonic one works better!! I guess we'll see when it gets here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #79  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by stricklandpmView Post
Someone mentioned the Genesis cutter - it is a wonderful trimmer, but it is designed to cut paper, photographs and one sheet of cardstock. It will not cut matboard and other materials. Also there is a very long waiting list for this cutter. The last I heard it was 1 1/2 years.
I have a Genesis and it is a wonderful trimmer. Bonnie's Best Tools bought out the owners who retired and they are not currently taking any new orders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #80  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Paper Trimmer Grave Yard

I have a fine collection of paper trimmers while I look for the perfect one for me. As for paper cutters (not trimmer) I love my Tonic Guillitone but it's not any good for close cutting/trimming as there is no way to see close to the cutting edge unless you remove the holder. I'm currently using the smaller tonic after I made some modifications. It's ok, but now I can't find blades locally, rats!

I want to make a distinction between what I see as a paper cutter vs. a trimmer. A trimmer is light weight, I like to be able to move it too right where I'm working and then set it aside until I need to make a quick cute. None of the paper cutters are this light and are small enough and still cut 12" paper.

I keep hoping that some one will make a trimmer with my wish list.

small and lightweight
1/8" grid
ruler that is clear and doesn't get in my way
the base should be minimum 6"
long lasting blades
and IT MUST CUT STRAIGHT

Sometimes I wonder if they have paper crafter test their trimmers because some of the designs are just crazy. I'm thinking of going back to the SU! fiskars because it was the most reliable (for me) and I can get the blades locally.
Reply With Quote Likes