Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-12-2006, 06:46 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paper Cutter you use?

Hello. I'm kinda new to the site but was wondering if anyone could give a site on where to look at what is the best cutting machine out there. I'm using a fiskar's but need to upgrade due to stamp camps I am hosting and want to get something well worth my investment. Please let me know what you use and like best.

Thanks!
Tracy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2006, 07:48 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

carl cutters are great!!! you can cutt multiple pieces of cardstock at once. I bought the smaller verion from carl cutters at sams club. Sorry I am not sure of a website. We might have to google it!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #3  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

Quote:

Originally Posted by clln
carl cutters are great!!! you can cutt multiple pieces of cardstock at once. I bought the smaller verion from carl cutters at sams club. Sorry I am not sure of a website. We might have to google it!!!
www.everafterarts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

The most important thing to me in a cutter is accuracy. I spent $40.00 on a rotary cutter only to find out the measurements were off by as much as an eighth of an inch. I thought it was the cutter, so I took it back for a replacement. The second one was just as bad! I will never buy another rotary cutter until I can "test drive it." Now I use the SU cutter and just make extra cutting time for bigger workshops.
My little Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2006, 09:20 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I've been using the cutterpede for a couple of years, I love it, have tried many others but this one suits me best for a portable cutter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2006, 04:09 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a Carl and I hate it. It cuts crooked every time. I just recently bought a cutter from CM and I love it. It cuts straight and clean every time. And only $20.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2006, 09:44 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

I use the green Provo Craft and love it! As a matter of fact, I bought extra for the crops I have and they love it too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2006, 10:41 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

My Carl large rotary cutter is great but the small portable one that I use for small cuts at my work area, not so much! It seems if you dont make a straight cut on the mat strip the first time you are screwed for any other cuts! You are supposed to be able to change the blades ( for decorative or regular cuts) but the little tabs that hold the case in broke the first time I tried to change it! I got a good deal on it so I didnt do anything about it but it can be frustrating! I agree, you should be able to test them out first!!!
Just like with the die cutters though, some people like/have luck with certain brands and others dont! Good luck, again!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 12:33 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Smile

i use the green provo craft cutter as well - it works really great! it snaps down at the end and holds your paper in place and gives you a perfect cut. i think it was like $7.00 at hobby lobby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

After purchasing many, here's my rundown:

Any paper cutter that uses a metal blade to cut onto a plastic strip will not cut perfectly. The plastic strip wears down fairly quickly and it will be impossible to get good cuts. That said,

Carl and Fiskars make many different models. You can't compare one Carl to another because some are better than others. Before investing in either a Carl or a Fiskars or a cutterpede, TRY out the specific model at a store or friend's house.

Hands down the best cutter is the Genesis. Bonnies Best Art Tools sells it. It cuts with a metal blade onto a metal strip. It will last forever, takes 9 - 12 months to get and costs over $250. I have one and it will shave off tiny amount of vellum and other light weight paper. HOWEVER, it only cuts 1, maybe 2 sheets at a time and therefore, isn't practical for workshops, IMHO.

One of the best tips I've read for workshops or other bulk cutting is to take your paper to Kinkos or other store and pay to have it cut all at once. It isn't very expensive and can really save a LOT of time. Plus, you should have perfect cuts.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 06:13 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile Dahle 507 Cut Cat

I have the Dahle 507 Cut Cat and just love it! It's a rotary trimmer that is awesome. I've had several of the others like Friskars, etc but this one wins hands down.

Now I'd love to have a Genesis but right now I don't care to part with that much $$$. The Dahle cost around $50 so for the price this works great for me.

I've had my Dahle for over 2 years now and it still make straight precission cuts and I've never had to buy a new blade.

For the money, this has been one the best investments I've made for cardmaking and scrapbooking.

Kim C

"Do not fear, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west." Isaiah 43:5
Reply With Quote Likes