Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #41  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by katestamps716View Post
I have a 12x12 rolling file cart I got from Paper Wishes catalog. I have the hanging folders and dividers and sort it by company.

I also have this cart from Paper Wishes and have the hanging folders. It's a great system and it's not very high off the floor so it will scoot under a table. I sort my papers by color family and then have a few extra folders, one for holiday papers, one for Basic Grey, and one for current projects.

Here's a link to the cart:

http://www.paperwishes.com/products/7260301000

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 04:04 AM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

Question where do you get 2 gallon ziplocks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph315View Post
Until I can get a better system, I've been using Ziplock bags in the 2 gallon size. They are the perfect size for 12x12 paper, and they keep my patterned paper and scraps in one piece. I have them stacked in a basket for now. It's been working out great for me, and it's inexpensive.
I like this idea! Where do you get the 2 gallon ziplock bags? I don't think I've ever seen them. I have the 1 gallon freezer bags from Sam's Club, but they're not big enough for 12 x 12 paper.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 06:28 AM   #43  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I started with the three expandable (4� deep, divided) plastic holders but have WAY too much paper. (I use them for SOLID scraps now � by color.)

I belonged to Club Scrap (before moving over to Club Stamp) so had TONS of 12x12 pizza boxes. I taped them together in groups of 5 and then wrapped each group in a different cheap wrapping paper: green (for greens), red, blue, black (for white, black, and grey), yellow, orange, pink (for pinks and burgundies), and purple. I sort each box group by thin/think, solid/patterned, and vellum. Scraps are hard to get to in these so they�re just tossed into a scrap BOX.
These box groups are placed on their sides and stacked (reds, greens, blues, and blacks) or in the cart noted below (for pinks, purples, yellows, and oranges).
I ALSO have the same �mail� cart of hanging legal folders as noted above by Stamptoit and katestamps716. (3� long?) This has hanging folders for: Beiges, Browns and Turquoises, mixtures: Blue/Greens, Pink/Purples, Blue/Purples, Misc mixed. Then folders for Holidays (3 folders), Winter/Snow, Words/Sayings, Baby, SU Scrappin� Kits , Scenery (for real looking grass, sky, water, wood, photos, etc), Textures (like burlap, mesh, bark), Metallics (for gold, silver, and copper), and then a few folders for paper groups like Basic Grey, CTMH and TAC papers. (We�re addicted.) I have some Chipboard sets in there but I think I might move them in with the other chipboard stuff (in an IRIS drawer). The cart is pretty stuffed (as are the box groupings.)
The folders in the cart have a little pocket in the front I use for scraps and a tall color-coded �TAB� to label each folder. If I had a camera � I�d attach photos.
I found the rolling "mail" cart at a used-office-furniture store.

For 8x11 paper we have various metal-bin racks (like 5 across 20 down (2) or 10 across 15 down). These were also found at surplus office stores. (In all we have over 300 REAMS (yes) of just 8X11 paper. Does anyone need any paper? :-) (just kidding)
Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 06:38 AM   #44  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovebugView Post
its not the dp i'm having a problem with, like any good stamper, i throw NOTHING away. my scraps are taking over, suggestions welcome as to storing scraps:p

I found that I began using my scraps more often when I simply kept ALL scraps in a basket on my craft table. Many times I look through the basket first and that sparks my creativity (and empties the basket ... a little bit!)

I use my punches for the small pieces of cardstock (I use the largest punch possible) and have the "confetti" sorted by shapes since that is how I am most likely to use them 9vs. by color).

Hope this helps and ...

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovebugView Post
its not the dp i'm having a problem with, like any good stamper, i throw NOTHING away. my scraps are taking over, suggestions welcome as to storing scraps:p
Kilcha and I have way too much paper to use the stacking systems with cubes that many people describe as we have almost every CTMH and SU color of cardstock, plus we have lots of Bazzil and random CS. I would have to buy a new house to do those cubes for that much paper. This is why we use the hanging file folder systems. The benefit of doing a file for each color of CS though is that we just put the scraps of that CS right back in the front of that hanging file folder for that color. It is so easy to just drop them right back in the folder when you are done. As Kilcha mentioned earlier, we keep whole pieces in the back and scraps up front. We always try to find a scrap for what we need before cutting down a whole sheet. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 10:29 AM   #46  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgrittyView Post
Totally not my original idea but I use this method and have found that I love it!--I sorted my scraps into color groups and stored them in an accordian file. I used a lable maker to mark my tags. I even had room for vellum and acetate as well as for metalic (which i have so few of i keep all together). You could keep DP scraps with the solids or if you use a lot, do a separate file. I keep my accordian file next to my table and have found that I have a lot less waste since I can quickly look for the right size to punch, fold, stamp and glue. My file is just a brown one from Wal-mart with months on the tabs. I tried an opaque one with blue trim but that seemed to cause a blue tint to everything. BTW - if KV reads this -- it is her idea and ne of the best!
I also store all my scraps in an accordian file. Mine is from Creative Memories and originally held all my paper. Now, only the scraps fit! (I am a paper-aholic) I have the tags marked by color family (along with the wonderful "Misc." for anything I can't otherwise classify) and also have pockets marked for SU, CTMH, and Christmas.

All of my full sheets of paper are in a 12x12 storage container with 4 drawers from an office supply store. I have all SU and CTMH that comes in packs in the top drawer (in the package to keep together). Also have a package of metallics in there. I have a drawer for 8-1/2 X 11. Since this is mostly solids I have stacked in the drawer by color family. The few DP pages are stacked on top. Next drawer is 12x12 solids, stacked by color family. Bottom drawer is 12x12 DP stacked by occasion, if easily identifiable like Christmas, Girly, Birthday, etc., and the balance is by color. I find this works for me. I have white and vanilla in a paper tray on my desk.

Good luck! I hope some one has a good (inexpensive) way to keep organized!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2008, 11:05 AM   #47  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,062 Likes on 817 Posts

I don't have a huge amount in 12x12- a lot of mine is Basic Grey pads, and some handmade paper pads.
But for the 12x12, the Bazzill is all in pizza boxes. For the DP, I have a Cropper Hopper. My sections are floral, generally geometric, stripes, monochrome, spots and dots, photo and text papers, and miscellaneous. I can usually put my finger straight on what I want - wish the same was true of other things!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

I am going through this process of trying to organize all my paper right now as well! I couldn't find any bookshelf/cube system that I liked (or didn't cost a million dollars) so I drew up some plans and had DH build me a wall unit that is a little over 4 feet wide and about 7ft high. One shelf has wood dividers about every 2-3" and I just used my label maker with SU color family and paper size. That was easy for my solid SU cardstock but now the hard part is figuring out all the patterned paper this weekend. I will try to update with pictures after I tackle it this weekend with whatever I come up with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 07:05 AM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie GerbitzView Post
I started with the three expandable (4� deep, divided) plastic holders but have WAY too much paper. (I use them for SOLID scraps now � by color.)

I belonged to Club Scrap (before moving over to Club Stamp) so had TONS of 12x12 pizza boxes. I taped them together in groups of 5 and then wrapped each group in a different cheap wrapping paper: green (for greens), red, blue, black (for white, black, and grey), yellow, orange, pink (for pinks and burgundies), and purple. I sort each box group by thin/think, solid/patterned, and vellum. Scraps are hard to get to in these so they�re just tossed into a scrap BOX.
These box groups are placed on their sides and stacked (reds, greens, blues, and blacks) or in the cart noted below (for pinks, purples, yellows, and oranges).
I ALSO have the same �mail� cart of hanging legal folders as noted above by Stamptoit and katestamps716. (3� long?) This has hanging folders for: Beiges, Browns and Turquoises, mixtures: Blue/Greens, Pink/Purples, Blue/Purples, Misc mixed. Then folders for Holidays (3 folders), Winter/Snow, Words/Sayings, Baby, SU Scrappin� Kits , Scenery (for real looking grass, sky, water, wood, photos, etc), Textures (like burlap, mesh, bark), Metallics (for gold, silver, and copper), and then a few folders for paper groups like Basic Grey, CTMH and TAC papers. (We�re addicted.) I have some Chipboard sets in there but I think I might move them in with the other chipboard stuff (in an IRIS drawer). The cart is pretty stuffed (as are the box groupings.)
The folders in the cart have a little pocket in the front I use for scraps and a tall color-coded �TAB� to label each folder. If I had a camera � I�d attach photos.
I found the rolling "mail" cart at a used-office-furniture store.

For 8x11 paper we have various metal-bin racks (like 5 across 20 down (2) or 10 across 15 down). These were also found at surplus office stores. (In all we have over 300 REAMS (yes) of just 8X11 paper. Does anyone need any paper? :-) (just kidding)
Good Luck!
I like how you sort the patterned paper, by mixture of colors, this could work for me, I will have to try it, great idea! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 07:10 AM   #50  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookiebeagleView Post
I like this idea! Where do you get the 2 gallon ziplock bags? I don't think I've ever seen them. I have the 1 gallon freezer bags from Sam's Club, but they're not big enough for 12 x 12 paper.

Thanks.
I get the 2 gallon zip lock baggies at the grocery store, sometimes they do not have the zip lock brand, sometimes it is glad and other times it is the grocery store generic brand. Not every grocery store around me carries them so sometimes you have to search. You might be able to get them at Target or Wal-Mart, I have never tried. I love using them when I am working on scrapbook pages because I can fit the paper, pictures and embelishments for each page in one bag and travel to the crops. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #51  
Gabfest Goddess

I posted about this very thing on my blog the other day. The link is in my siggie. For some reason I can post a direct link to the entry because it says I have to have 3 or more posts to add a link to a message. Hmmm, I have over 3 posts. Anyway, I pray that it helps some of you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 10:24 AM   #52  
Kookie Creator

I use the ClearView Sterilite 12 by 12, 3 drawer system. The paper fits in the drawer perfectly. You can stack the separate sections together on top of one another. I have two stacked on my table and two placed in my bookcase.
Since I have way too much paper (or can you ever have too much paper?), I divide it by color and size. Works for me. You can see through the drawers what color the paper is for easy locating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 03:37 AM   #53  
Gabfest Goddess

Okay, now I can post a direct link to my paper storage. Here is what I do. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #54  
Cardstock Collector

Default paper storage

I have tons of paper- both 12X12 and 8X11 1/2 I have both sizes sorted out in 2 files. the smaller ones are in a file drawer in my desk and the 12X12 are in a extra deep file system i bought at staples. they are both sorted out according to colors, and also according to subjects (baby, children, school. holidays, christmas.heritage etc. i have my diecuts and stickers in another file drawer sorted out the same way. I have another file box for my pads of paper that just sits on the floor. My scraps i keep in plastic bags by color and in a box on my desk so they are handy to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by katestamps716View Post
I have a 12x12 rolling file cart I got from Paper Wishes catalog. I have the hanging folders and dividers and sort it by company.
I have this same cart. I do sort by color. On the multicolor one the first color that stands out to me is the color I file under. I have the main file and a file behind it with scraps of that color. This has worked well for me.

My Blog http://crazystamplady.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes