Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #41  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The colored pencils that I use all the time are RoseArt brand. They're super affordable, but they color GREAT! I don't use OMS or anything with them, just the pencils themselves and I can do shading and layering of color to get really great depth and shadows. You can do really soft coloring with them and do more intense bold coloring too. They're really versatile. I buy mine at Target in the kids art supply aisle and they're under $12.00 for 100 different colors! Just thought I'd share.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #42  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 811 Likes on 332 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by klh54View Post
I've found a set of 60 for $81.80 plus $5.95 shipping but I just can't seem to click "buy":mad:
Kathy
As of today:

Prices:
With a Hobby Lobby coupon:
the set of 48 is $36.00
the set of 72 is $52.00
no shipping

Amazon:
set of 48 is $37.00
set of 72 is $59.80
plus you pay for shipping

Dick Blick

set of 48 is $39.32
set of 72 is $59.99
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
As of today:

Prices:
With a Hobby Lobby coupon:
the set of 48 is $36.00
the set of 72 is $52.00
no shipping

Amazon:
set of 48 is $37.00
set of 72 is $59.80

Dick Blick

set of 48 is $39.32
set of 72 is $59.99
I cannot find Faber Castell Polychromos anywhere on the HL site and nothing for the price you found.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #44  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 811 Likes on 332 Posts

Quote:

I cannot find Faber Castell Polychromos anywhere on the HL site and nothing for the price you found.
Those prices are for Prismas. I'm sorry I thought you were considering Prismas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcdonoughView Post
May I suggest going to Walmart and getting the Cra Z Art pencils? They are super cheap, but I tell you, they color beautifully with Gamsol. I dare say, they seem to work better than my USA Prismacolors.
I also keep thinking I should buy another "nice" expensive set, but I don't use them enough to justify it.
Then, if you find you love coloring, you can upgrade.
Thanks for letting us know about these pencils. I went to the Walmart site and ordered a set of 72 different colors for only $5.74! What a great bargain. I also got a set for my grandchildren at the same time.

I have some Prismacolor pencils, but loved the idea of having other alternatives. I haven't really colored with them yet, just doodled. But love the variety of colors in the set and the pencils color very smoothly.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #46  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I think with color pencils the larger variety the better. There goes the dollar bills ringing, lol. I do like Dini does and look for great sales and Ebay. I have everything from Derwents to Cra-Z-Art in my collection.

Color pencils and watercolors are my favorite mediums to work in. I don't mind collecting pencils and paints. I like to try all the brands.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #47  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I think with color pencils the larger variety the better. There goes the dollar bills ringing, lol. I do like Dini does and look for great sales and Ebay. I have everything from Derwents to Cra-Z-Art in my collection.

Color pencils and watercolors are my favorite mediums to work in. I don't mind collecting pencils and paints. I like to try all the brands.
You know, this is really a great attitude. I always have been this way, never really caring too much for brand anything but started to feel like if I was REALLY going to color that only the best would do. I have been playing with the CraZart pencils and even my old Rose Art ones just to see what I could do. Nothing post worthy but I'm thinking I'll just stick with what I have for now and pick up some of the open stock pencils at HL or Mike's when I can to fill in the blank spots. I mean, I'm not even close to being an artist so what does it matter what pencils I use?

Thanks for the input
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #48  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I have Rose Art, Prisma's, and Crayola's....and the funny thing is that I keep going back to my good ol' Crayola's. Don't get me wrong, I do like Prisma's...but the Crayola's work fine for me too. I use baby oil with them to blend and haven't had any problems. I might have to check out those CraZart pencils though....sounds interesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sc magnolia said it all for me. I love my huge set of Prisma colored pencils...the colors are fabulous and for as much as I use them I am content with them. (they were a gift from hubby...he said I could buy them! LOL) I use Gamsol exclusively because I didn't know I could use baby oil. There has been some tip breakage which is discouraging but magnolia's idea of just gluing the tip back on and sharpening it makes a lot of sense so I will do that from now on. There seems to be certain colors that do break more than others. My favorite paper is good ole Gina K, too. That paper just about meets every need it is so versatile. Also, I bid for mine on Ebay and got one heck of a price for an unopened set. Can't remember but I was doing handstands after comparing prices. So check there.

Last edited by dottiejdavis; 03-30-2012 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2012, 12:00 AM   #50  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

You know, this is really a great attitude. I always have been this way, never really caring too much for brand anything but started to feel like if I was REALLY going to color that only the best would do. I have been playing with the CraZart pencils and even my old Rose Art ones just to see what I could do. Nothing post worthy but I'm thinking I'll just stick with what I have for now and pick up some of the open stock pencils at HL or Mike's when I can to fill in the blank spots. I mean, I'm not even close to being an artist so what does it matter what pencils I use?

Thanks for the input
Thank you! You made me smile. I have a full set of Prisma's that were a gift. I do really like them but the breakage issue is a huge peeve for me.

I buy mostly open stock pencils. I keep scraps of art paper in my purse so I can try my pencils. That way I am not standing there with a receipt trying the pencil and not getting good results. I do that with all my coloring tools I buy. I did learn with Copics when your testing them your draining the marker. That's one of those things you just don't think about. Now, I look for Copics that are testers.

I always bought open stock because I was a poor college age student when I started collecting art supplies. It was a lot easier on my budget. I still do that to this day. It's still easier on my budget, lol. It was when I started posting here I learned buy the biggest set of pencils possible. I really do understand that line of thinking. My wallet doesn't like that line of thinking.

I color mainly for me. My friends and family like my work. It doesn't matter to them if I use Prisma's or Cra-z-Art.

Reply With Quote Likes