Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I just circled back to this thread and wanted to see if people like it now that they have it-sounding goooood! I got one in copper color but I havent played yet with it. I always test in metallics :rolleyes:

BJeans-I dont think she was talking only to me

I am still in experiment mode with raindrops. I did get one pack of the pretty pink posh but they look like clear drops to me-not so much rain. Needs work on my part. The stamps I got from Ryn look great but they are big! Sigh.
When raindrops first appeared, I found a huge bag of clear ones in the floral dept. of Michaels for next to nothing. I still have tons and tons of them, and need to get them out and use them again. You can color them any color you want with alcohol markers like Copics, Sharpies and Bics.

I also got some of the Nuvo drops but haven't tried them yet.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2016, 03:24 AM   #42  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Ranger Glossy Accents came out with ten new colors - including Wild Orchid and Grape Soda for you, Elle. : ) My LSS got all the colors in and they pop.

Ranger Enamel Accents | Ranger Ink and Innovative Craft Products

Ranger is still my favorite due to hardness and drying time, but but I do like Nuvo, and their colors are somewhat different than Ranger, so lots of options.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2016, 07:19 AM   #43  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you for reminding me about Ranger's product! I ordered the purple and the orange, and I think my color collection is pretty complete between those, Nuvo drops and Viva's Paper Pens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2016, 07:26 AM   #44  
Gallery Gazer

I forgot about Viva's paper pens! I bought one to try out and liked it, though don't remember the drying time/hardness. Later today! Thanks.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #45  
Gallery Gazer

Funny, my LSS is having a free session in September comparing Ranger Enamel Accents vs. Nuvo Crystal Drops. I'll try to go and report back. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2016, 10:24 PM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
When raindrops first appeared, I found a huge bag of clear ones in the floral dept. of Michaels for next to nothing. I still have tons and tons of them, and need to get them out and use them again. You can color them any color you want with alcohol markers like Copics, Sharpies and Bics.

I also got some of the Nuvo drops but haven't tried them yet.
Annette, I bought some of those at Michael's also and wondered if they were the same thing. I thought they couldn't possibly be, since the ones I saw for sale were $9.00 for a small vial. I think I just might be in the market for some test tubes and make about a thousand percent profit on my $5.00 bag!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Annette, I bought some of those at Michael's also and wondered if they were the same thing. I thought they couldn't possibly be, since the ones I saw for sale were $9.00 for a small vial. I think I just might be in the market for some test tubes and make about a thousand percent profit on my $5.00 bag!
They are really very similar to the ones that are sold in small quantities. The ones in bulk are not totally consistent, and there are some in the bag that are smaller or a little larger, but overall, a good deal!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2016, 07:57 PM   #48  

Received 275 Likes on 162 Posts

Is this Nuvo product similar to fabric puff paint?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2016, 10:52 AM   #49  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Nuvo crystal drops and alcohol markers

I am getting ready to order for the first time and I know they have many colors but can the nuvo drops be colored with markers once dry? I am going to mostly use the clear for raindrops but sometimes a card calls for blue raindrops. Once I figure out if I like the product I will add more colors, more then likely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #50  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't done it personally but I recently watched a video where the dry Nuvo drops were colored with Copic markers (and also Bics or Sharpies ) with somewhat streaky results. It was most noticeable with paler marker colors. Significantly better results were achieved using alcohol inks. Sorry I don't have a link or name of the poster.

If you do any experimenting, please share your findings here.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee

Quote:

Originally Posted by VerdaView Post
I am getting ready to order for the first time and I know they have many colors but can the nuvo drops be colored with markers once dry? I am going to mostly use the clear for raindrops but sometimes a card calls for blue raindrops. Once I figure out if I like the product I will add more colors, more then likely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2016, 12:44 PM   #51  
Mad Swapper

Default Tina

Thank you so much I will go looking for the post. Once I get the product I will let everyone know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2017, 05:08 AM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried the Nuvo drops and some of them go perfectly flat and some of them don't go quite as flat. The two that I've had the most success with are Raspberry Pink and the Bubblegum Blush.

I have tried quite a few different companies and the one I have had had the best results with are Cosmic Shimmer pastel PVA. Perfect results every time with the pastel ones. I haven't tried the others from this range, they have the most pretty pale baby pink one called Pastel Pink PVA which I use a lot on baby projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #53  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I really wanted them too but then I saw this and now I dont know:

http://youtu.be/jm8JwlK5rRI

It isnt the worst thing on the planet but stuff I think people should know.

If other people are getting them to dry completely hard, I would be wondering if humidity affects them?
I love the way they look but mine smash down even if I lay another light card on top of them when they are thoroughly dry! She does make the point in the video that some types are more prone to this than others (I bought the type that she recommended as drying the hardest). If you like the look of enamel dots and want to mail your cards I would recommend buying commercial ones for that purpose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2017, 04:16 PM   #54  
Gallery Gazer

I have the Nuvo Jewel Drops - the sherbety translucent colors that Laura Bassen raved about. They've gone through the mail fine - I first sent myself a card with them on it. I wait until the next day before mailing.

And I just got a bottle of the completely clear Crystal Drops. I haven't sent them through the mail to myself yet, but made a bunch of dots. They domed beautifully, and after not touching them for 24+ hours they seemed plenty hard. I could dent them with a thumbnail, but I could also rip the CS, and figure recipients don't generally do either one of those things. (They're more likely to trash the whole card.) :shock:

When concerned about embellishments going through the mail, I add a small piece of that light foam that fine china and the like is wrapped in for moving. You can get it in a roll or sheets. I've seen it at big box office stores, etc. Like this:
https://smile.amazon.com/Tapix-Cushi...=A5X37FYYQ65YO

I love enamel dots and clear drops you can buy too, but sometimes I prefer something more delicate looking or a variety of sizes or a certain color.

Last edited by bjeans; 06-29-2017 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #55  
Crimping Master

I like them. I've just added some of the gloss colors. I had a challenge with a couple of my pico embellishers clogging although I followed ALL the rules for making sure that didn't happen. I like how easy it is to control the drop size on the Nuvo brand and the price is good on these.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #56  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Does Michaels still carry the product you are talking about here? I just scrolled through many pages in search of these, but to be honest I am not 100% sure what I am looking for... loose gems in a bag? Thanks in advance for your help finding these.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2017, 08:45 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
Does Michaels still carry the product you are talking about here? I just scrolled through many pages in search of these, but to be honest I am not 100% sure what I am looking for... loose gems in a bag? Thanks in advance for your help finding these.
Annie, I still have tons and tons left in the big bag I bought. They are clear and can be colored with alcohol markers in any color you like. Send me your address in a PM and I will send you some to play with.

PS I used a small dot of Tombow Mono Multi on my cardstock to adhere them and it worked fine.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet43View Post
One thing I have found that I didn't see mentioned here is the temperature. The colder your room temp the thicker the product seems to be causing domes and peeks. If I warm them up a bit they come out perfect! Just my experience here....
I also had problems with mine coming out in peaks, rather than rounded shapes. They were fine out of the bottle the first time or so, but then I couldn't get the nice domed shape anymore. I called Tonic studios and they said that temperature or age can cause that. Their only suggestion was to take the nozzle part off and wash it out with warm water, then replace. I find that I have to do this over and over again, which wastes a lot of the drops. Don't know how to get around this issue. I love it when they work well, but wasting 1/3 of the product isn't workable. Anyone have this problem too?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
I like them. I've just added some of the gloss colors. I had a challenge with a couple of my pico embellishers clogging although I followed ALL the rules for making sure that didn't happen. I like how easy it is to control the drop size on the Nuvo brand and the price is good on these.
May I ask how you dealt with the clogging? I was told by Tonic Studios to remove the nozzle and wash it out with warm water, then replace the nozzle. I end up wasting all the liquid inside the nozzle AND the cap though, which doesn't make me happy. It thickens inside the nozzle and cap, even when I keep them tightly closed and stored in my craft cupboard. I love the drops otherwise, so wish I could prevent the clogging.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #60  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
May I ask how you dealt with the clogging? I was told by Tonic Studios to remove the nozzle and wash it out with warm water, then replace the nozzle. I end up wasting all the liquid inside the nozzle AND the cap though, which doesn't make me happy. It thickens inside the nozzle and cap, even when I keep them tightly closed and stored in my craft cupboard. I love the drops otherwise, so wish I could prevent the clogging.
I find that some of the formulations and colors clog worse than others. But I "burp" all the bottles before I put them away: hold the bottle upright and squeeze all of the air out of it. Some product will come out of the nozzle-- just wipe it away and then cap. Hope that works for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2017, 08:50 PM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
I find that some of the formulations and colors clog worse than others. But I "burp" all the bottles before I put them away: hold the bottle upright and squeeze all of the air out of it. Some product will come out of the nozzle-- just wipe it away and then cap. Hope that works for you!
wow, I never thought to do this but I'll give it a try. I am finding that the metallic colors are clogging more quickly, but have had that problem with other colors as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2017, 06:55 AM   #62  
Glitter Queen

There are differences. The wonderful thing to me about the Nuvo Drops if that they dry with an automatic rounded top. That is much better than the Liquid Pearls to me which may dry with a peak. They also seem to dry faster.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

I've tried both Liquid Pearls and Nuvo Drops and have actually had more problems with the Nuvos drying with a peak than with the Liquid Pearls. Still trying to figure out how to maintain the rounded top with Nuvo Drops and I actually emailed the company for advice. The only thing they suggested is to clean out the nozzle and cap of all the drops in it and start with a clean nozzle. You end up wasting a LOT of Nuvo drops doing that, and I had to do it multiple times. Apparently, cold or hot weather will also affect them that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2017, 01:07 PM   #64  
Gallery Gazer

kazeka, have you watched videos that show applying Nuvo Drops? I watched some to get my hand right initially and just love them. I was going to link to a youtube video by Laura Bassen but realized she applies the drops only at the tail end of the video. If you want to see it though, yell. But there are so many videos and it's easier for me to watch, rewind, watch, than to read descriptions of how to do something. Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 12-29-2017 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Spacing - Chrome
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2017, 04:01 PM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Beth,
I watched a ton of videos and read reviews before I bought the Nuvo Drops, and I love them. They are always just fine out of the bottle, but when they sit for a month or so they seem to thicken. Then I have problems with the peaking. When I first get them, I get a perfect rounded top..it's later that there's a problem. Tonic Studios told me that temperature is often the cause of this, so I'm going to try warming the bottle in my hand etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2017, 04:09 PM   #66  
Gallery Gazer

Then I'll have to check mine - they've been sitting unused for quite a while! I wonder about running the closed bottle under warm water for a bit.

{Imagining tiny Nuvo heating pads and hot water bottles}

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #67  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Sorry I'm late getting back with this. I didn't have any luck unclogging the pico embellishers. I tried Scrap Perfect Solvent. I wasn't willing to go more toxic. Not water, heat, etc. Nothing worked for me. I really didn't expect them to be water based anyway. I poured some in some empty needle nose bottles but I'm expecting them to clog also. I tossed most of the picos. You can buy replacement tops for picos but I wasn't willing to invest any more in them. I found they tended to flatten out quite a bit also. No problem so far with the Nuvos clogging.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #68  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm bumping up this thread to see how you gals are enjoying your Nuvo drops! Now Tonic has come out with Nuvo Mica Mist sprays, glitter, Shimmer powders (I wonder if these are like Brusho/Color Burst?), and even inkpads! They have some rather interesting looking blending sponges, but they are $9.99 for 4 of them! And then there's embellishment mousse! Those of us who have Full Set Syndrome could go just a tad crazy looking at all the stuff they have!! ;-o. They even have the some of the Nuvo Drops in a "grande" size, which is 2 ounces instead of 1 ounce!!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #69  
Crimping Master

Heart Still enjoying!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4HimView Post
I'm bumping up this thread to see how you gals are enjoying your Nuvo drops! Now Tonic has come out with Nuvo Mica Mist sprays, glitter, Shimmer powders (I wonder if these are like Brusho/Color Burst?), and even inkpads! They have some rather interesting looking blending sponges, but they are $9.99 for 4 of them! And then there's embellishment mousse! Those of us who have Full Set Syndrome could go just a tad crazy looking at all the stuff they have!! ;-o. They even have the some of the Nuvo Drops in a "grande" size, which is 2 ounces instead of 1 ounce!!
Susan,

I am still enjoying my Nuvo drops..and I suffer from Full Set Syndrome so I have EVERY color -but not the HUGE bottles, at least I don't think that I do (maybe a couple?). I have all the Viva decor pens, and Ranger's Enamel Accents as well. Oh, and I L O V E the Nuvo Mousse :p. I had watched a video from Scrapbookingmadesimple on YouTube and she showed covering metal pieces with it and I thought - NO WAY, then she used it on wooden embellishments. So, I curbed my enthusiasm and only ordered one just to try. Turns out - MY GOODNESS you CAN COLOR METAL, and WOOD, paper, etc., etc., and then Full Set Syndrome kicked in. A little goes SUCH a long way that if I knew a proper way to transfer some, and into which proper container, I would happily share (let me know). I also just got the new products from Tonic as well. I really love the products and the service from this company. Bottom line - still am VERY very happy. I haven't had any issues, and the room they're in does have temperature fluctuations. If it's cold sometimes I just have a small heater pointing towards the rack they're on if I'm going to use more than one color, or just towards one before I start that part of my project, but that is only sometimes. So...I don't think I am going to help curb any purchasing of this product. (Oh, I might be able to transfer some into those bottles Jennifer McGuire suggests for other products, and then I could send you some to try..again, let me know via PM). I am ALWAYS happy to share with a fellow crafter, and honestly some of these products come with a lifetime supply in the containers. (Want any of the colors of Tonic's glitter too, lol? IMO those come in a DOUBLE LIFETIME supply bottle of glitter, and I LOVE glitter! ☺️)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2018, 03:26 AM   #70  
Die Cut Diva

I am starting to wonder if the Nuvo drops have a shelf life. Mine are about 15 months old and I am starting to have some of them crack as they dry, the clear one. The sparkle ones seem to be fine. I have heard of other people having them crack, but haven’t seen if anyone knows why. On a project, I recently had to redo the stamping and use glossy accents instead.

Do they crack in the dry winter weather and not in the summer? Is it a shelf life issue?

I would love to know if anyone else is having the same issue as me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #71  
Gallery Gazer

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4HimView Post
I got my order of Mica Sprays and Shimmer Powders last week. Easy to use, very shimmery and lots of fun! I just posted a Mermaid Luv card in my Gallery if you want to see a first attempt. I like them so much, I went back to Tonic's site and ordered the rest of the colors I didn't have!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2018, 04:24 AM   #72  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 367 Likes on 269 Posts

Ok bumping this older thread...question..what Nuvo Drops do you use that look clear? I've seen them on underwater scenes or on floral images so it looks like rain drops....is it the crystal drops in morning dew? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2018, 04:44 AM   #73  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by peeps321View Post
Ok bumping this older thread...question..what Nuvo Drops do you use that look clear? I've seen them on underwater scenes or on floral images so it looks like rain drops....is it the crystal drops in morning dew? Suggestions?
Yes, that is what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2018, 04:50 AM   #74  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Yes, morning dew works well for water.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2018, 04:51 AM   #75  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 367 Likes on 269 Posts

Thanks! I knew you guys would know....so many Nuvo Drops..so many choices!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2018, 05:09 AM   #76  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,061 Likes on 816 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by peeps321View Post
Thanks! I knew you guys would know....so many Nuvo Drops..so many choices!

The one I use is the Jewel Drops, Grey Mist.
Reply With Quote Likes