Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default now that SU is selling acrylic blocks...

...I am probably going to go the unmounted route. I was introduced to stamping through SU and it was a long time before I realized there was any other kinds of stamps! Anyway, it appears the blocks are a fairly decent sized investment, and I only want to do it once, so I'd like to know what you ladies consider the best blocks, and why. I did a search to read up on acrylic blocks, but almost everything was either before SU released theirs, or was just a comparison of SU to CTMH. So, here's what I'm wondering, grid lines or no grid lines, and why (I'm inclined to go for them, but I'd like to hear why I might not like them) and which brand of blocks, be it a direct sales company, big box, internet store, etc.....I have used the SU at the most recent party I went to, and I liked how they felt in my hand, but when I tried to use them with a versa mark pad, the stamp kept sticking to the ink, not the block, and that could get really tiresome in a hurry.....

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SU's are nice because they are beveled on all four sides (with grooves for easier holding) - most others are not. Gridlines would be nice, but you wouldn't necessarily need those on every block you own. Maybe have a mix.

If the SU stamp wasn't sticking to the block that may be a function of the index lables SU is using on their new unmounted stamps and not a fault of the block itself.

I like the new SU blocks - like someone else on here said, they are like little jewels!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think as long as the block feels comfortable in your hand, then thats the best brand - for you. My personal opinion is that it should be at least 1/2" thick - 3/4" is better and they should have at least the bevel along two edges. I like the ones with the wavy edges so that my fingers fit there and it really does make it comfortable to hold. I have quite a few of the cheaper ones that are just square and they work too. They're just not comfortable. Its all up to you and what you like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

well, i don't know what i like or don't like yet, lol, i'm new to the blocks. are there brands out there that are just as nice as SU, but cheaper? 70.00 for the whole set of blocks is a pretty big investment, and if i can get something just as nice for less, i'd like to....and, still not sure if i need the grid lines...it *seems* like they would be very helpful, but do they get in the way?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I have the blocks from CTMH and that is because I am a consultant and most of them came with my kit. I have not tried the others so I can not give you a comparison. I did get the grids that can be used on the blocks but personally I wouldn't get them if you use the SU grid paper. You just place your block in a corner of the grid paper so that two edges are perfectly in the corner and line up your stamp with the lines, (if that makes any sense). I am in the process of unmounting most of my SU stamps and love the extra room and being able to get a more accurate placement of my image on the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

There are lots of different brands of blocks out there. You can buy them at the big box stores and scrapbook or stamping stores.
I would try some out, holding them in your hand to see what fits.

I have quite a few blocks, some with gridlines and some without, from several different manufacturers. I generally prefer the ones WITH gridlines.
I also find I reach most often for the ones from Apple Pie Memories - they have the "wavy" edges someone else mentioned. They just seem comfortable and natural to me when I'm holding them.
And, although ones that are thinner work fine, I prefer a little thicker block.

It really is a matter of personal preference. If you can, try holding some others besides the SU ones, so you can see if they feel right to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I use the grid paper on my desktop more than I use grids on my block. I do like having one larger grid block for my long stamps. I can use the lines on the grid paper and the grid block to make sure I'm stamping straight. I haven't yet tried the SU blocks...hard to justify buying new blocks when what I have already works. I do like the thickness of my blocks...they're over 1/2" thick. A grip would be nice though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

While I haven't used Stampin' Up's acrylic blocks yet, I have used the blocks from Smartworks.. and they are FABULOUS (and a lot cheaper). Take a look here: smARTworks acrylic blocks.

I don't work for, nor am I affiliated in any way. I have just used them at various swaps and all I can say is that they're awesome, and so comfortable to use. I was about to buy a set when SU came out with theirs, and I would like to try them first to see how they compare. Stampin' Ups are pretty expensive though, and I know the Smartworks ones are very comfortable already. Unless SU's are that much more WOW, I'll probably get the Smartworks ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

i have never used SU's grid paper. i'm pretty handy with the stamp a ma jig, but if grid lines on the block eliminate that step, i'm all for it!

i've not been able to really "feel" the blocks in the big box stores. they're all wrapped up in packaging, or at least, that's what i'm picturing in my mind.....maybe i'll go to our new HOBBY LOBBY (yes, that's the craft angels singing!) and see what they have, and see if i can feel them....

70.00 did seem very spendy to me, but i can sure see the advantage of unmounting.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The acrylic blocks would be cheaper in the store rather than on-line. You really don't need but a couple of blocks. Most stamps will fit on any block. The block does not have to be just the same size as the stamp, as long as the stamp does not hang over the block that's all that matters.

I have 4 blocks and really only use 3 of them. Small stamps can go on a larger block, it doesn't matter.

I prefer the grid lines. Trying to use the grid lines on a piece of paper would be distorting looking through the block. For that matter, you can also put your own guide lines/grid lines on the clear block yourself.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I have to say I LOVE the new SU blocks. They feel so wonderful in my hands. My dad has cut me some blocks out of scraps from signs he makes and they work fine but don't feel as good and the new ones. I am going to be getting a few more of these for my classes. It's the difference between eating with cheap dollar store silverware and nice quality stuff, you get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I made the mistake when I first starting to accumulate clear blocks of buying the cheap ones - the were too thin and I find that I end up making an inky mess on my hands and/or project. I'm seriously considering getting the SU! bundle of blocks cuz the few blocks that I have that are thicker are awesome!! Whatever you get make sure they have enough thickness to hold onto well. HTH

Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I haven't gotten my hands on the SU blocks, but they look really nice. When the clear blocks first came out, they were really thin. I have several of them, and don't use them anymore. I got a set of thicker clear mounts with rounded edges and love them. Go for the better quality blocks, I don't think you'll regret it. The thin blocka are hard to hold & rather uncomfortable. I wish the thick blocks with the rounded edges were available when I started using unmounted. I really see the clear blocks as an investment. If your stamps are unmounted, like mine are, you use your clear blocks every time you stamp. I only have one grid block & don't really use the grid feature like I thought I would. JIL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I bought some clear blocks from Hobby Lobby and The Angel Company and HATED them, they are thin and have sharp corners :( Also STAY AWAY from the Studio G blocks that you can find in the Michael's dollar bin, I bought a few to give my sisters along with a few stamp sets and all of the blocks were warped, I've bought other cheep blocks before and found the same thing.
So I bought a full set of Clost To My Heart blocks iwht the storage case, they came the same day I found out about SU going unmounted so needless to say I probably won't be buying the full set of SU but I plan to get a few of the sizes especially the small ones that I use most often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #15  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I have blocks from several companies. Am going to keep my blocks with the grids, and get rid of the rest to buy SU! blocks. I've seen/held/tried the SU! blocks and I like them a lot. If you haven't been able to try them in person, my best description is that they are very similar in shape/feel/grip to SU!'s wood blocks - they're just clear acrylic instead of wood. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

i hadn't thought about only needing a few sizes, that's a really good point.

i have held the SU blocks in my hand, but really had nothing to compare it to; that's why i want to do my research before i buy, cuz i only want to make this investment once!

you ladies are giving me lots to think about, and i love hearing your different opinions, keep em coming! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 03:08 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I own a couple of sets of the Smartworks blocks mentioned above and love them! I also have a set of the thinner blocks that I bought when I first started stamping with unmounteds, and a couple that I bought at Michael's from InkaDinkado. I do not like the thinner blocks and avoid using them unless absolutely necessary; Smartworks are my favorites, but the InkaDinkaDo are very nice as well (they have the curves around the edges to make them easier to hold on to).

The thinner, cheaper blocks actually hurt to use and the edges and corners were sharp! It took some time, but I used some nail boards from Sally Beauty supply (for acrylic nails) and rounded off the edges and corners and that made them more comfortable. They still can't compare to the Smartworks blocks, though.

The InkaDinkaDo blocks don't have a full grid, but they do have horizontal and vertical centering marks on the block which I rarely use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 04:42 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekip2View Post
I made the mistake when I first starting to accumulate clear blocks of buying the cheap ones - the were too thin and I find that I end up making an inky mess on my hands and/or project. I'm seriously considering getting the SU! bundle of blocks cuz the few blocks that I have that are thicker are awesome!! Whatever you get make sure they have enough thickness to hold onto well. HTH

Andrea
That is the reason I went ahead and got the CTMH blocks. I bought mine used at a very reasonable price. Plus you can get a case to put them in and they are all organized.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 06:06 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I like grid lines, mostly for sentiments.
My fave block (I have a large assortment) is the Martha Stewart one with the handle that sticks up on the top. You do have to glue it one, but it has never ever come loose. It is especially nice for kids. I use that block anytime I can, but I do like to match block size to stamp cuz I have a problem getting inky edges and smudges if I use a teeny stamp on a big block.
Fatter is better, too, in my opinion.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

http://www.applepiememories.com/round_fg.php

These are the blocks I like best - the shape and the finger grips are perfect for holding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

i went to the apple pie memories website, but i couldn't see where i could order the specific ones that interested me.....do they sell these at retail locations? sorry to be so ignorant, i'm really new to the unmounted realm of stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

hmmm, went to the smartblocks web site, but no grids and no beveled edges for grip, it seems like the beveled edges would make a difference....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

Just agreeing here that thicker is better. I have a thin one that came in a kit, and I just don't use it. Ones with grid lines are nice, but not totally necessary.
Several sizes are a must - it's much easier to stamp (and not accidentally ink up the block too!) when the stamp is a good size on the block. Just like wood-mounted stamps don't all come on one size of mount . I have one 12" long one that is great for using with unmounted wheels, and for me was well worth getting.
Another vote for bevelled or wavy edges, too, just something to make gripping easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

Just agreeing here that thicker is better. I have a thin one that came in a kit, and I just don't use it. Ones with grid lines are nice, but not totally necessary.
Several sizes are a must - it's much easier to stamp (and not accidentally ink up the block too!) when the stamp is a good size on the block. Just like wood-mounted stamps don't all come on one size of mount . I have one 12" long one that is great for using with unmounted wheels, and for me was well worth getting.
Another vote for bevelled or wavy edges, too, just something to make gripping easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoLeeView Post
hmmm, went to the smartblocks web site, but no grids and no beveled edges for grip, it seems like the beveled edges would make a difference....

No the smartworks blocks don't have the groove cut out like CTMH and SU, but there are no sharp edges. They are rounded and smooth. They are very easy to grip and very comfortable to stamp with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 10:38 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikiBeeView Post
No the smartworks blocks don't have the groove cut out like CTMH and SU, but there are no sharp edges. They are rounded and smooth. They are very easy to grip and very comfortable to stamp with.
Agreed. I use these more than any of my other blocks and have never had any problem with gripping them.
Reply With Quote Likes