Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a card using only the slice and no stamping...thought I would share!

Noel

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #42  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabushView Post
I did a card using only the slice and no stamping...thought I would share!

Noel

Nancy
What a beautiful card! thanks for sharing. I am in the process of making some ornaments from the falalala design card. When I 'm done I will try and post it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #43  
Glitter Guru

I love your Noel card! TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #44  
Rubber Obsessor

Is there anybody out there that bought their's at Joann's and is having good luck with it?? Mine is a Christmas prezzie from my hubby so I haven't played with it yet and now I'm just ever-so-slightly worried that Joann's batch of Slice's is defective.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #45  
Mad Swapper

How much are y'all paying? I went to LSS today and they still haave got their shipment in but she told me it would be over $200! Ack! My mom really wants this for Christmas but I thought the price was much lower. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #46  
Stampin' Fool

I got mine for $149.00 and free shipping. Go to Hobby Lobby and use your 40% coupon.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly. Leave the rest to GOD.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #47  
Kookie Creator

I got mine with a 50% off coupon at AC Moore. $75.00
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #48  
Stampin' Fool

Default wish

i wish i had this!!!! a very good friend of mine works at hobby lobby and she showed this to me when it first came in, i'm like drooling over myself, lol. i think my dh thinks i'm crazy with my stamping, he helped me organize it awhile back and said "this is alot of stuff" and all i could think was "i've seen more" lol

does this cut other stuff then just paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #49  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubinkView Post
Is there anybody out there that bought their's at Joann's and is having good luck with it?? Mine is a Christmas prezzie from my hubby so I haven't played with it yet and now I'm just ever-so-slightly worried that Joann's batch of Slice's is defective.
I bought mine at Joanns.com I have used it for a month or two now and have had no problems. It cuts the shapes perfectly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #50  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by IluvcardsView Post
I got mine for $149.00 and free shipping. Go to Hobby Lobby and use your 40% coupon.
Oh I wish I could! I lived about 3 minutes from a Hobby Lobby up until May of this year. Now I'm in Florida and miss my HL terribly!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #51  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by suevrView Post
Well, I got my Slice two days ago and nothing is cutting right with it. All of the circles and scallops are lopsided and more like ovals. At first I thought that maybe I hadn't charged it enough so I let it charge overnight, but there still was no change, even when I plugged it in. I changed the tension on the blade then changed the blade altogether and still no improvement. I'm so frustrated with it. I guess I'll have to call Making Memories tomorrow. I hope it's just a lemon and they can either tell me how to fix it or get me another one. I waited almost six weeks for it to be shipped from Joann.com and can't exchange it (they make you reorder it and they don't have it in stock...plus I refuse to wait another 6 weeks for a new one).

Has this happened to anyone? Any quick and easy fixes?

This happened to me. You need to Hone your device. Once you do it will work fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 06:23 PM   #52  
Glitter Guru

I used a 50% off Joann's coupon and got mine at Michaels for $75. Mike's will take a real coupon (from a newspaper, mailer, or in-store flyer -- not printed off the internet) from other stores, and the Joann's here doesn't have the Slice in stores yet. (Sounds like maybe it was a good thing I couldn't buy from Joann's, though.)

As of today, the Hobby Lobbys near me (SW Ohio) are still accepting their own coupons for Slice items. They've got a 40% off internet coupon this week here

I've cut a few things and mine is working great. I cut some small flowers and they were fine. After reading some other comments about misshapen circles, though, I want to try those out next.

I did find that the Slice will not cut if the blade isn't screwed in pretty tightly. I almost took mine back because it wasn't cutting at all; not even a scratch on the paper. I had 2 units at home because I'm giving one as a gift and was able to compare the two, switch discs, etc. and found out that my problem was simple to fix.

It wasn't just a matter of pushing the tiny orange blade down, as the instructions suggested. I had to tighten the larger blue housing (that the orange blade slips into) with the little tool (looks like a turnkey) provided.

I also tried using masking tape to hold down the paper, like I'd seen in a video. It may work with larger pieces & cuts, but for small cuts, the paper has to be really stuck down well and laying flat flat flat or the blade will snag a bit in places. I think I'll stick with their goo for now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #53  
Rubber Obsessor

I've tried everything with mine. I've homed the blade 100 times, taken the blade out and replaced it with a new one, used masking tape, switched cartridges. I've run it plugged in and not, and nothing seems to matter. It's not even just the circles that aren't right. Most of the shapes and letters are just a little off. I wasn't able to call MM yesterday so hopefully today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 AM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I wish my scallops looked that good. No everything is much worse. I should take photos because it's actually pretty funny.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 07:02 AM   #55  
Inking Addict

Location: still hiding behind my Foster Grants...can I come out yet?!?

My shapes were very off too. The circles were not circular and the triangles wouldn't even come off the page! I honed, replaced the blade, reapplied adhesive and did all the trouble-shooting that I could find. My DH insisted that I take it back to HL and exchange it. It's made me very wary. I get the new one tomorrow, but if it performs the same way the other did, I'm taking it back and getting a CRICUT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #56  
Glitter Guru

Good grief! If my Slice circles look like yours, Gale, the machine and all the extras are going back. I paid only 40%-50% for each item (and I have everything now except the 12x12 mat), but it's not even worth that if it can't cut a round circle.

The week after Christmas is usually slow around here. I'll spend some time with my Slice and do more thorough testing. I just made sure the thing worked when I played with it a few days ago. I didn't do much of a quality control check.

I love my Nesties and I know the Slice won't be as good, but it should at least cut round circles! And I worry now that the squares & rectangles won't have sharp 90* angles...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #57  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, I've had my first bad experience, aside from the general problems with the design card.
At my crop on Saturday, I wanted to show my friends my new toy. It was newly charged, so I got the mat ready, and tried a cut. It was all lopsided and tilty. I tried again, same thing. I tried several different cuts, and they were all very tilty. Then I changed the blade. After that it wouldn't cut anything at all, so I set it aside. Later on I thought, "Maybe if I plug it in..." so I plugged it in and tried a cut. The blade still wasn't cutting, but I could tell from watching that it was now doing what it was supposed to do. So, I removed the blade and put it back in. THEN it worked fine, although I'm not really sure why.
I sent a message to Making Memories, and I'm hoping they have a solution or some advice for me. I love my little Slice, and just want it to do what I tell it to do! (I get enough frustration from my kids!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #58  
Glitter Guru

I love my little Slice, and just want it to do what I tell it to do! (I get enough frustration from my kids!)

Exactly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #59  
Hardware Hotshot

I already got a response from MM. They said that the machine doesn't 'hold' a charge, even when it's turned off. She said similar to an Ipod? (don't have one, so I don't know...) Anyway, she said as soon as you unplug it, you have an hour.
I guess that solves that problem. I do wish the blade was easier to adjust, though. I honestly couldn't tell a difference between adjusted and not adjusted...She said it wasn't adjusted properly, but when I took it out and put it back in, that adjusted it.
I will say that I am SO glad the Slice mat isn't super sticky like the Cricut mat! On Saturday I was so excited to show my friends my new toy that I didn't wait long enough to let the glue dry...they aren't kiddin' when they say wait until it's dry! That stuff was STUCK!! I had to use undu to get it off, then I had to go and rinse off the glass plate and start all over. Lesson learned!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #60  
Glitter Guru

Erin, did MM say anything about leaving the Slice plugged in 24/7? I know with some things (at least back in the day) it was not good to leave them plugged in all the time. You were supposed to completely use up a charge and then plug the battery in.

If you kept using the battery for only a few minutes and then plugging it back in, it learned to hold only a few minutes of charge. It was called battery memory, but I'm told the newer rechargeable batts aren't susceptible to it. (The early laptop batts were horrible about this.)

I'd like to know if we should leave our Slices plugged in all the time, or if that would damage the battery (though if it holds only an hour charge, it could hardly be in any worse shape).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #61  
Hardware Hotshot

Meg, I didn't ask them about that. She just said that it doesn't hold a charge more than an hour. That's fine with me, though. I usually just plug it in, anyway,then unplug it when I'm done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #62  
Kookie Creator

I have the Slice and LOVE IT!

I made my Christmas cards with it. I did find that it does go through the blades on the detailed cuts.

I bought mine from www.abctoysandcrafts.net There is a coupon code for checkout 25SLICE it give you $25.00 off the machine. The code I believe ends 12/23/08.

When I received my packing list it had another coupon code for after January 1st for 25% off you total order in January. They ship really fast.

I think I will buy the cards after January. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #63  
Glitter Guru

Thanks, Erin!

I agree that an hour charge limits its portability. I don't go to crops, though, so that's not a big problem for me. I can use it plugged in whenever I want here at home.

What a shame more effort wasn't put into the power source. Portability is one of the main selling points, but it apparently works best when plugged in (which has been my experience) and/or needs to be plugged in frequently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #64  
Compulsive Stamper

Question

I'm having trouble with the slice cutting through thicker cardstock--any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #65  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbabinddsView Post
I'm having trouble with the slice cutting through thicker cardstock--any suggestions?
how thick?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #66  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by charkinsmomView Post
I got mine with a 50% off coupon at AC Moore. $75.00
I so want one of these - Lucky you to get it this cheap. I wish we had a HL or ACMoore here in Oregon!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

Any one buy the Slice at HL and not get a rebate form? I asked about it and was told there was no rebate. I have been on the phone with MM for 10 minutes on hold. Does any one know where I can get the form??

Help I want the free design card.

Suzi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #68  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunnystamperView Post
Any one buy the Slice at HL and not get a rebate form? I asked about it and was told there was no rebate. I have been on the phone with MM for 10 minutes on hold. Does any one know where I can get the form??

Suzi
That is only through certain elite stores. I can't remember the correct term. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #69  
Stampin' Fool

I bought my Slice at Crazyscraps.com and the coupon for the free design card came with it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 03:10 PM   #70  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

I can't wait til Christmas so I can use my Slice. I did, also, get the 12x12 slice mat for a number of reasons: It will be easier to work with the Slice and I can use it as a work surface either in or out of the Scor-Pal. I'm not a real big fan of the self-healing mats for cutting things on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #71  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunnystamperView Post

Suzi

I called, too, and I talked to a rather snotty CS person about it. I felt that everyone who purchased should get the rebate, but it was only for the retailers that they have listed on their site.

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #72  
Matboard Maniac

I was having problems with mine-called MM and they told me to plug it in and see if that cured it and it did. Apparently, when the battery gets low it starts not working right. Do wish is had like a battery meter on it! So now I am charging it more often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #73  
Glitter Guru

I felt that everyone who purchased should get the rebate, but it was only for the retailers that they have listed on their site.

Not coincidentally, the chains that offer 40-50% off coupons are not included on the list of "preferred" retailers who get to offer the special card.

For me, getting $75 off was worth missing out on the card. I wish I could have gotten it, but it's not worth that much to me. Maybe the designs will show up in future cards that anyone can buy.

I'm not sure why MM feels the need to alienate a huge section of Slice buyers, especially when they're trying to break into the market, but that's their marketing plan. It's like Provo Craft and their exclusive Cricut cartridges. They give them to people who buy new machines, but won't sell them to loyal customers who have "old" machines and who've probably bought dozens of carts in the past.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #74  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbabinddsView Post
I'm not trying to be a smarty pants when I say this.......don't cut thicker cardstock! It's not designed to cut thicker cardstock. If you choose to use it on your SU cardstock, for example, it will either not cut through it or if it does, you will shorten the life of your blade.

As for the rebates, they were only available at VIP stores. Plus, it's not a cash rebate. It's for a free design card that will be released in February.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 06:49 AM   #75  
Stampin' Fool

I had trouble cutting through SU card stock so I lowered the blade 1/4 turn as per the instructions in the manual. Now it cuts with no problem, I just have to remember to turn the blade back when I want to cut thinner paper.
Go to www.makingmemories.com and watch the video. They tell you what all you can cut.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #76  
Hardware Hotshot

I have had NO problem cutting through SU cardstock. Black is our thickest, right? I cut out some of the words in black, and it did perfectly, and have cut lots of other things in other colors. All in SU cardstock. I do think the blade needs to be adjusted properly to do it, but the machine has no problem cutting through it then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 08:40 AM   #77  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh, I'm getting so excited!! Only 4 more days and I get to finally play with my Slice!! THANK YOU to all the people that calmed my fears about the glitches with it and THANK YOU to all the people posting the stuff they made using the Slice in the gallery!! Now just have to figure out a way to justify sitting in the basement all Christmas day instead of being the the family!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #78  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Just got mine today at AC Moore. I'm getting ready to try it out . . .

My gallery
--- My blog: Inking Aloud
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #79  
Stampin' Fool

But the ladybug only cuts three "spots" instead of the four that are pictured. I mean, not a partial cut or goof; just NO spot!

Has anyone else had that happen, or is it just my card?

[/quote]
I just got the Basic 2 Design Card yesterday at Hobby Lobby and cut my first ladybug today. It cut all 4 spots on the 2 inch size. I haven't tried any smaller sizes to see if it cuts all of them. Maybe you got a defected card.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #80  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm so happy!! I got my Slice last night and finally got to play with it today. I couldn't be happier!! After some of the lukewarm reviews here, I was a little scared but it worked like a champ from the git-go. No jumping around, cut through both paper and cardstock, crisp cuts and CUTE designs!! Yes, it does distort a little on the very small shapes but most designs 2 inches or more are just about PERFECT!! Totally happy with it and can't wait to get more design cards!!

Luckily, my husband is just as impressed with it as I am and is already lining up which ones I should get next.

Thanks again for all the input from you guys!!
Reply With Quote Likes