Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #1  
SAH
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Martha Stewart Mini Scoring Board

Has anyone else seen this? I picked one up this weekend at Michael's. It is $10.49, so $6.60 with a coupon. It has score lines every 1/8". The overall area is about 6 1/2" x 8", with the right side and bottom open ended. On the back are some score lines for making envelopes.

I can't seem to even find it at any online sites.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't seen it, but it sounds great. I have the larger MS board and like it a lot. The smaller one would really be handy for just scoring A2 card bases. I'm going to check out our Michaels stores. Thanks for the heads up.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I'll have to get one of these! I love my big one, but sometimes I have to clear off my workspace to make room for it so a smaller one would be perfect!

Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

ooo, I think I need one of these!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I found a picture of it here:

*Martha Stewart MINI SCORING BOARD Score Craft Tool 42-05013 New 2012

I can't remember what I paid here in Canada for my large one but I think it was still close to $30 even with the Michaels coupon.

Last edited by lharnish; 08-13-2012 at 06:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sure would like one of these to take to workshops. I just went to one Tues and the demo had the c/s cut to size but not scored.

I have checked 2 Michael's and 2 JoAnn's in my immediate area (Northern Calif) and no luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 02:08 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

So funny that you posted this! I saw the mini score at Michaels (ours is $14.99) just this week. I bought it to try.

I had purchased the larger Martha score in the past and returned it. It seemed to have been off in measuring up to an 1/8th of an inch at the zero mark. After internet research, I found this was a common issue. I was wondering if this mini would do the same.

I used the new mini for the first time today {*gasp* I know....it sat for several days unopened}. It seems to be right on with the measurements. It's size is great! There is a slide/lock for the scoring tool. It is easy to maneuver in a busy workspace.

There are a lot of measurements on the back for making envelopes, which I did not have time to look at much or try. I am curious to see how these work as well. On the larger board, I found the envelope sizes to be quite a bit larger than needed for the card size.

So far, certainly with a 40 or 50% off coupon, I say go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueInksView Post
On the larger board, I found the envelope sizes to be quite a bit larger than needed for the card size.
I picked up the smaller one this weekend at Joann's, with coupon as well - their regular price was $12.99. I haven't played with it yet (busy weekend), but the measurements they give for a starting square for the envelopes assume a heavily-embellished card with pop-ups and layers. If you want an envelope that better fits your not-so-chubby card, just decrease the size of your starting square by 1/8".

And I really don't know why I thought I had to have this - I already have the Scor-Pal, the Scor-Buddy, the Scor-It mini and TWO full size Martha boards (one to keep at work). But I really like the way the envelope scores are permanent on the back of the Martha Mini.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I picked up the smaller one this weekend at Joann's, with coupon as well - their regular price was $12.99. I haven't played with it yet (busy weekend), but the measurements they give for a starting square for the envelopes assume a heavily-embellished card with pop-ups and layers. If you want an envelope that better fits your not-so-chubby card, just decrease the size of your starting square by 1/8".

And I really don't know why I thought I had to have this - I already have the Scor-Pal, the Scor-Buddy, the Scor-It mini and TWO full size Martha boards (one to keep at work). But I really like the way the envelope scores are permanent on the back of the Martha Mini.
Cheryl, you made me giggle! I love that 'not-so-chubby' card! Thanks, for the tip. Oh and I do hope your SIXTH score tool will not fight with your others! LOL

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I have Score Pal, Score Buddy, Big Martha and now Martha Jr. I haven't used Score Buddy much, but I have already used Martha Jr. several times. I like the 1/8" lines. B.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mheartmView Post
I have Score Pal, Score Buddy, Big Martha and now Martha Jr. I haven't used Score Buddy much, but I have already used Martha Jr. several times. I like the 1/8" lines. B.
Oh, I love this too! Martha Jr. That's what I am going to call it! LOL Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

I just got one today! I work at M's and we just recently got them in. I was hoping to find a helpful video...as I'm such a visual learner...LOL but nothing yet. On the large one I thought it was just me....but seeing that you all have been talking about the larger one being off in the measurements I'm excited to know it wasn't just me! LOL If anyone does a video or finds one let me know! LOL mostly on the envie template part on the back. I'm really excited about the size too...the other one is just too big! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Got one today!

Bought it at Michaels's reg price $10.99, with 40% coupon it was $6.59 + tax. Had to go to JoAnn for fabric so I checked the Martha Stewart display and they had it also but their reg price was $12.99! I have noticed that one or the other store is slightly more expensive at times on some items. Just an FYI.

I have a Score Buddy but refuse to take it to workshops because I have had strangers 'borrow' items without asking. I.e used my ribbon scissors to cut sticky items, grab a stamp and get ink all over the wood/acrylic block, etc. The MS mini scoreboard was about half the price so might not be as grumpy sharing. Do think the SB is sturdier though. The scoring surface is also inset deeper so it is easier to use the edge when folding the base. (I push the c/s into the left side corner so the fold is straight.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought Martha's mini and love it.

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 02:36 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Retail value is $10? Wow! My Michael's has it for $20. That is nuts! I like retail price $10 with a 40% coupon better.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

lylacfey - I think the $20.00 price is for the big Martha scoreboard. Looks like someone made a mistake. Oops! I hope no one is buying the mini for that price. They were $10 and change at our Michael's - 6.59 with 40% off coupon. Bobbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

No, it was not a mistake. My Michael's had both boards in on two different hang racks. Mini board was further at top. Full board was at the bottom. Both were marked at $20. The hang tag was for the 6x6 at $20. I checked the full board and it was marked 12x12 for $20. I told my hubby that was nuts. I would never pay that price. You can buy a full board for the same price. My Michael's prices everything willy nilly. I hardly shop there any more because they price things so stupidly or never have the items I need. Frustrating store.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
No, it was not a mistake. My Michael's had both boards in on two different hang racks. Mini board was further at top. Full board was at the bottom. Both were marked at $20. The hang tag was for the 6x6 at $20. I checked the full board and it was marked 12x12 for $20. I told my hubby that was nuts. I would never pay that price. You can buy a full board for the same price. My Michael's prices everything willy nilly. I hardly shop there any more because they price things so stupidly or never have the items I need. Frustrating store.
That is too bad! It does look just from our conversation here on this thread that each store is different. Ours were $14.99. Could you ask the store manager to see if they priced that correctly?! We want you to have one too!!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

That is so sweet. I don't want one. It is so cute though. I almost replaced my full size board with the new limited edition blue board that is out. I decided to be good.

I am thinking of talking to the manager at Michael's. I think the retail price of that board is $10.99. Michaels could have made a mistake or they are just wily nily pricing again.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
That is so sweet. I don't want one. It is so cute though. I almost replaced my full size board with the new limited edition blue board that is out. I decided to be good.

I am thinking of talking to the manager at Michael's. I think the retail price of that board is $10.99. Michaels could have made a mistake or they are just wily nily pricing again.
I agree. I think that Martha Jr is not the correct price at your store. Good luck with what you or if you choose!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew It SeamsView Post
I'll have to get one of these! I love my big one, but sometimes I have to clear off my workspace to make room for it so a smaller one would be perfect!

Thanks for sharing!
Yes, me too. HOw perfect, Martha! And what a sweeeeeet price!

Also, I never noticed Martha Sr. as off 1/8". Maybe I'm just
off 1/8"! I don't score a ton but it always seemed fine. Where do you notice it...what r u doing at that time? What kind of score?

Last edited by Allistamps123; 08-28-2012 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
Yes, me too. HOw perfect, Martha! And what a sweeeeeet price!

Also, I never noticed Martha Sr. as off 1/8". Maybe I'm just
off 1/8"! I don't score a ton but it always seemed fine. Where do you notice it...what r u doing at that time? What kind of score?
Hi!

From what I gathered online from remarks and reviews, not all of the boards were off. It was when you had you paper to the far left border at the zero mark. The first score was off. For example if you were to just shim the paper to the left border and score every 1/8" the first was bigger. Then if you used any of the measurements for envelopes they were off too, as it used the zero as a reference point.

I too that it was me!!!! I just could not get over it and did not want to try to keep adjusting for the difference. I am glad that you seem to have a good board!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I have the original MS board. Mine is not off but I am going to have my DH check for me. Two pairs of eyes are better than one. I know her MS Trimmer is off. First I thought it was me. I have mad cutting skills with my Xacto knife and none of my cuts are off. I don't think Martha can measure right, lol. I would be really mad if my scoreboard was off. I wonder if SU is off since it's the same board.

I just double checked with my rulers. I have drafting rulers. No, the board is not off but the trimmer is off about 1/16 of an inch. I know stop laughing at the 1/16". I know it's minor but I am ticked about it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I read somewhere that the SU diagonal board will work with the MS big board. Is that correct?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Stampin T-

Yes, the SU diagonal plate works with the MS regular size scoreboard. I have this combo. Not a 'diehard' SU customer so since the MS and SU scoreboards are basically the same and I can use a coupon for the MS one, I bought the SU one. (I might have bought the MS one before SU came out with theirs but can see no reason to replace the MS one just so the scoreboard and diagonal plate are matcha, matchy.)

Hope SU comes up with some cute uses for the diagonal plate besides just using it to make diagonal score on a card front.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Crafter 4 Life-
Thank you for the quick response. I also do not need them to match. I already had the MS scoreboard and just ordered the SU plate. I also have the scorpal. I think I have enough scoring tools now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

You know, I saw the mini board last week, picked it up, thought about it, put it in the cart, thought about it again, then put it back. This was my reasoning. Why am I spending money on this little board when I already own the big one? Am I so lazy that I can't walk 4 feet from my work station and get the large one? Is the large one so heavy and bulky that I can't transport it somewhere? Do I need to spend $10 on something I really don't need? The answer was NO! Martha Stewart, you are a very clever businesswoman! You know that it's hard for us to resist something so cute and useful, but the truth is I already have one so I don't need it. That is how I justified my decision! For those of you who couldn't resist, even though you ALREADY own the larger model, God bless you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

but but but, but I want one! AND since I have the big Score-pal, then I MUST need something that says MARTHA on it - right?

ha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh, I didn't NEED the Martha Jr. However, I had purchased a 2nd full size Martha board to use at work - after the 73rd project where I said "this sure would be easier if I had my score board here". However, the large Martha board is too big to fit in my tote and hard to store at work - it's on the floor in the space between my desk and the wall, and I'm afraid one day I'll come in to work and find it missing.

The Martha Jr. easily fits in my tote; and if I decide I want to just leave it at work, it's small enough to pop into a hanging file folder in my desk drawer.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

cbet,I still so love the name Martha Jr for the board! LOL gr8cards, you have some great points. I only have the Martha Jr, so I am going to call it good! Laserkay, get your coupon and go get a Martha Jr!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2012, 03:26 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Just got mine yesterday. Love the size. It will be great for taking back and forth to classes. I also like how the scoring tool hooks right to it. I also like the look of the scoring plate on the bottom side for making envelopes complete with diagonal lines all ready to go. Looks much easier to use than the triangle piece on the big board. I haven't actually tested it all yet ... that will be tonight when I find myself some crafty time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2012, 05:40 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Leslie - after trying it out on envelopes, it is actually easier to use the bigger board with the triangle piece. On the small board, you're lining your paper up with printed dotted lines and it wants to move around. It's also a little confusing to figure out which score lines you're supposed to use - the markings are a little confusing. With the bigger board and triangle piece, you have something to butt the edge of the paper against which helps it stay where it belongs. You can also make more sizes of envelopes, and bigger ones

Although with the Jr, you don't need to turn the paper to make the 2nd set of score lines, so that's kind of a plus.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
Leslie - after trying it out on envelopes, it is actually easier to use the bigger board with the triangle piece. On the small board, you're lining your paper up with printed dotted lines and it wants to move around. It's also a little confusing to figure out which score lines you're supposed to use - the markings are a little confusing. With the bigger board and triangle piece, you have something to butt the edge of the paper against which helps it stay where it belongs. You can also make more sizes of envelopes, and bigger ones

Although with the Jr, you don't need to turn the paper to make the 2nd set of score lines, so that's kind of a plus.
I agree! Although I only have the Martha Jr, when I did try the regular size, all I found was that the envie was a little larger than I needed for an A2.

While I think that the template was a great idea on the back of MJ, I too noticed that you had to be really accurate with where you placed the paper, then had to really look for which score line. I suppose that you could color code the envie lines in the template with a permanent marker by running it through the groove maybe.

Since I did not have the large board to compare measurements to, I created an A2 envie on the back of the MJ. I found the above and that it is still a really large A2 envie, even if you were to have a heavily embellished card. Too much room to move around while mailing.

I downsized the measurements and then it was even more difficult to use the template. It almost put you into the next sized template lines.

Maybe you all will find something I did not.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8cardsView Post
You know, I saw the mini board last week, picked it up, thought about it, put it in the cart, thought about it again, then put it back. This was my reasoning. Why am I spending money on this little board when I already own the big one? Am I so lazy that I can't walk 4 feet from my work station and get the large one? Is the large one so heavy and bulky that I can't transport it somewhere? Do I need to spend $10 on something I really don't need? The answer was NO! Martha Stewart, you are a very clever businesswoman! You know that it's hard for us to resist something so cute and useful, but the truth is I already have one so I don't need it. That is how I justified my decision! For those of you who couldn't resist, even though you ALREADY own the larger model, God bless you!
I was at Michaels yesterday with a coupon in my hot little hands. Your words kept coming into my mind when I picked up the cute little Martha Jr. Scoreboard.

I already have the full size board, which I love, and I also have the ScorePal which I bought before the Martha board came out. I do not need another board.

Thank you for helping me not make an impulsive purchase!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Glad I found this thread! I NEED this little gadget, but had NO idea that it existed! It would be so, so handy to have a smaller one to leave out when I'm making cards, since scoring the card bases is what I use the larger one for 99% of the time, anyway! Thanks for the heads-up!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

I used mine for the first time today while at a crop and loved it. Was so convenient and nice and tiny for packing. I tried the enveloper at home and found it easy to use. The key is to hold one hand in the centre of the paper so it doesn't move when you score the lines. I didn't actually try to put a card in the envelop to see if it looked too big to me as others mentioned but will try that next. I give it a two thumbs up so far :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #37  
Gabfest Goddess

Okay, so I made a quick run through Michael's today. I paid $14.99 for a starting price, then coupon when I purchased the Martha Jr. Today, it is priced at $10.99. Whaaaatttt???!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #38  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

When I saw them at Michael's yesterday, they were on a rack that was priced at $19.99. That was the same price for the large one on the rack next to it. Either someone mixed things up when putting them out, or E.K.'s pricing is strange. Anyway, I have the large one, and can use that money on other things that I really need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Martha Jr. and the Scor Buddy are cute, but I figure I don't need them. I work on the Scor Pal with their mat and I just slide the mat toward me to score anything. For diagonal scoring I use the MS full size board with the SU diagonal plate. I think I'm covered for scoring!
But for those who go to crops, etc, it would be a good tool to have and small enough to transport easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Update: I compared the completed A2 envelope made following the directions on the MS Jr. to a purchased A2 envelope. The size is slightly bigger, about 1/8 inch wider and 1/4 inch taller. It is barely noticeable and cards with a couple of layers will fit in there perfectly. I increase my "two thumbs up" to "three thumbs up" LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes