Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Would you recommend this product to a friend?
Yes, I love my gypsy! 14 27.45%
No 1 1.96%
No, I am just not interested in the product. 25 49.02%
Yes I will purchase one in the future as finances allow. 11 21.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new Gypsy by Cricut

I purchased the new Gypsy for my Cricut machine yesterday.

I must admitt there are likes and dislikes.

Out of the box, ready to go, I did charge mine before playing with it so I could just pick it up and go.

The first thing I did was look through the different menu options and get a feel for the machine. I also went to http://www.youtube.com to look up videos on the devise.

It comes with two unique cartridges pre loaded, one is a font and one is graphics.

I uploaded all of my exsisting cartridges to the devise. Some uploaded quickly while others seemed to just hang. If you have one that just doesn't seem to want to load, there is a small re-set button on the back of the devise that allows you to stop the process and begin again. All in all I must admitt the process was painless.

It is kinda odd cutting out images without the overlay on the keyboard. I have much to learn and am looking forward to the process.

Do you have one, do you have tips and techniques for the rest of us! Thanks so much!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I love love love my gypsy. I hadn't used my ciruct in a long time and now that I have purchased this I have used it nearly every day. I love the fact that I can create while i'm waiting in the pickup line at the school to get my daughter.
One thing that is missing but I know they are working on is complete compatibility between degisn studio and the gypsy, but its not really a big deal to me right now.
They are constantly working on updates and new apps for the gypsy so I do know that what it is capable of doing now is not all that it will be able to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Crys

I agree! I hardly used my cricut at all until I got the gypsy. I love it, it is so much fun! I'm still learning how to use it, but that part is fun to me.

Hugs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

I use my Cricut a lot, but the Gypsy sure makes it more fun! Does that make me a geek?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I said I wasn't going to buy one and I bought one this weekend at HSN. I have to wait for it to come in so I didn't vote in the poll, lol. Sorry. I am really looking forward to it. I post over at the Cricut board too and the girls have been a big help. There are a lot of issues with the Gypsy and a lot of them are valid. PC is fixing the issues. I can be patient until they are fixed. My biggest advice is to watch the videos and do the tutorials. The girls over at the Cricut board have great tutorials. They have a Gypsy forum to help get you started. Don't let the negativity scare you off. I think the Gypsy is here to stay. I think PC will in the future allow us to download our carts. I am a big geek too, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 07:30 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks DeeAnn, got to check out the forum. I am enjoying being able to have shapes or alpabets from different cartridges all in one place and just click and go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I honestly dont see the point of owning one.
What Im seeing and reading (unless I got this all wrong)
It's like your DS but smaller and portable?
and what Ive read from the advertising, I dont like.
I mean if Im with family visiting why would I whip out my gypsy and work on something?
I should be visiting with family not creating stuff on my gypsy...right?

Nahhh...I think Ill spend my money on stamps and paper...not something I already own but smaller.

JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
After getting a Gypsy yesterday as a surprise gift and figuring out how to work it in a rather short time I'd say YES

I had been saying NO - I don't go to crops, I don't use CDS enough, I don't have that many cartridges, it's too expensive - $300 that's a large sum for us.

Now, it's YES. 1. DH who had been pointing out I don't need one, have too much stuff, etc.... bought me one for an Anniversary Gift on Oct 26th, how can I say no now. He even bought the Pink/Bling Silicone Sleeve and extra Pink Stylus'. Gifts, are gifts, right? LOL!!!!

2. We had in the past discussed why it wasn't a good purchase, but he liked the portability and the fact that I wouldn't be using the only computer in the house when working on big projects. Last week he couldn't use the computer for two nights, I was doing tons of cuts for a church function (they supplied the paper and mats)

3. Storage for the carts is getting to be an issue, and all the cartridges in one place will make traveling to church when I do bulletin boards easier. This morning I was fiddling around with the Gypsy in bed, working out a design, before getting the day started. Granted it's new toy-itis, so I won't be doing it often, but it was still fun.

4. It's a super cool new toy, despite the bugs. Although he did say to wait a year for the bugs to be worked out and then he bought one anyway.

5. Watch the videos, make practice cuts. The screen is small, yes, the zoom feature lets you work with a 1/4" shape, I welded a few apples together at that size just to see how the zoom and pan features work. I did a lot of deleting, starting over, messing up (found the back space and the delete buttons). Actually downloaded and skimmed over the manual, it's actually helpful.

I didn't know about the Michael's promotional, but here's what I know, and to me it's a good deal. It ends October 31st. All the info is on the Cricut site.

Buy the gypsy, get 500 Cricut Reward points, plus 200 points for the two preloaded cartridges, and there's a promotional for 2 free solution cartridges (just pay shipping) which will also offer 100 bonus points, plus some sort of rebate of $100 to spend at Cricut.com's store. So, in 8 weeks when the dust settles and all the rebates hit I'll have a Gypsy, 2 preloaded cartridges, 2 solution cartridges, Zooballoo from the 800 rewards points, and Designer Calendar and a few cuttlebug embossing folders from Cricut.com. Not bad for $300+

Bottom line, if you have the funds, and want to use the Gypsy, I think you'll enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 12:00 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Wow Cynthia, glad you love the new Gypsy, You'll have to share your creations with us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2009, 01:33 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Linking is forever. PC will cannot/will not unlink cartridges. I just can't make myself do that. I know many people have done it and didn't think twice, but I'm not ready to commit yet!

I don't need to cut away from home, anyway, and to design away from home I use DS on a netbook. Larger screen and the netbook can be used for many other things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 05:18 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I'm going to hold off until they come out with one with a bigger screen . Hopefully it's in the works!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 06:59 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I haven't heard anything about another unit or bigger screen, that would be interesting though. The screen is bigger than the screen on my I-Touch, the zoom feature allows me to work with images as small as 1/4" then zoom out again to add or delete images from the screen. It was pretty neat to slip the Gypsy in my purse and take it with me, I hadn't realized how easy it would be to take along.
I'd be interested to see what else PC offers down the road.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

YES! I have recommended it, had a friend play with mine and is now a proud owner. When you see what it can do. And it has features that Design Studio doesn't and to me is easier to work with. I got mine with the first batch from HSN and have had NO problems. LOVE IT!! As far as linking cartridges I don't see a commitment. I already bought the cartridges I am going to keep them, so the commitment is sortof already made. I have seen people selling their used carts on ebay with the disclaimer that they are linked already. I think that is a huge mistake b/c if there is an issue or problem with their gypsy I have read that PC can send out a new one that you will be able to link carts to.

I use mine all the time. I love the portability, not when visiting, but traveling - while HD drives of course! LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Hi Laurie,

I agree, you bought the cartridges. You keep the cartridges. Then you can still plug it into some one else's cricut. It freaked a few people at at my last crop to see the machine cutting without an overlay or cartridge!

Wicked -- good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't have one... but I did see something on someone's blog where they had their stuff to cut loaded in the Gypsy and since you could see the mat in the screen and know how big things were going to be when they cut, you could put smaller pieces of cardstock in different places on your mat, based on where you had it on your Gypsy screen.. hope that makes sense... one load, one cut.. that seemed like an awesome improvement. I have a Cricut Expression and many cartridges, but just haven't used it very much.. but I am glad to know that when it's there, I can use it.

I also seen/heard on HSN that when there updates you can hook the Gypsy up to the computer and download updates.. such as new cartridges.. you can scroll through and look at what the cardtridges offer if you do not have it, so you can decide if you want to buy it or not.

I got an email from provocraft this morning with a special on the Gypsy for $249.95.

oh, and an awesome blue Expression as well, it was $259.95.

happy crafting ~ Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I have a question...once you link/upload your cart. into your gypsy they can't be linked/uploaded to another gypsy? How do they limit that?

view my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I doubt anyone knows for sure how this is done, the most common thoughts are that the link adds something to the cartridge, like a code or something.

I do know that you can still use the cartridge to cut on your own machine. You can load your cartridge to someone else to use on their machine. If something happens to your gypsy PC will give you the necessary info to re-link your cartridges. It is highly recommended that you register your cartridges with PC as a backup.

I know this is a deal breaker for many people, but not for me. I plan on keeping my cartridges so selling isn't an issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 10:41 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

I called Provo Craft CS and asked a lot of questions about the Gypsy. There are also many, many conversations on the Cricut message boards.

Each Gypsy has a serial number. When a cartridge is linked, that cart is tagged with that Gypsy's serial number. If you try to link that cart to a Gypsy with a different serial number, it will not link.

All carts can work in all Cricut machines. Even linked carts will work in any Cricut cutter. If you want to load up all your carts on a Gypsy and then give those carts to your sister, you can do that (though there are folks on the Cricut boards who claim it's illegal). She'll be able to use them with her Cricut.

Some people are linking their carts to their Gs and them selling their carts, but that's not very forward-thinking. If you have a problem with your G, Provo Craft can fix the G and/or send you a new one*, but you'll need to relink your carts. Now, if you give your carts to a family member, you can always just borrow them back if you need to relink them to your G.

There have also been eBay listings of loaded Gypsys. People buy a G, load their carts, and sell the loaded G for $1500 or more. If the buyer ever has a problem with her Gypsy and needs to reload it, though, she's SOL.

I spent a long time researching the Gypsy. I'm going to wait a while before buying one. I don't really need to cut away from home, and I can design away from home using Design Studio on a netbook and use Jukeboxes to handle cuts with multiple cartridges. And I can use the netbook for a lot of other things, too.

*If Provo Craft has to send you a new G, they'll wipe the serial number from a new G and "reserialize" (their word) it with the serial number of your old G. That way your carts will think it's your old G and they will link to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 10:44 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbornewifeView Post
I don't have one... but I did see something on someone's blog where they had their stuff to cut loaded in the Gypsy and since you could see the mat in the screen and know how big things were going to be when they cut, you could put smaller pieces of cardstock in different places on your mat, based on where you had it on your Gypsy screen.. hope that makes sense... one load, one cut.. that seemed like an awesome improvement. I have a Cricut Expression and many cartridges, but just haven't used it very much.. but I am glad to know that when it's there, I can use it.

I also seen/heard on HSN that when there updates you can hook the Gypsy up to the computer and download updates.. such as new cartridges.. you can scroll through and look at what the cardtridges offer if you do not have it, so you can decide if you want to buy it or not.

I got an email from provocraft this morning with a special on the Gypsy for $249.95.

oh, and an awesome blue Expression as well, it was $259.95.

happy crafting ~ Pam

These things are all available with Design Studio (the Provo Craft design software for your computer). They're not particular to the Gypsy. For designs created from multiple cartridges, just use a Jukebox (or two, if the design is from more than 6 carts) and you won't have to swap out carts during cutting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

thx for the info...I wasn't looking to sell carts but I just wanted to have all the info b4 buying. I was wondering about sharing carts? But if the have a serial number and are linked to one gypsy, that won't work.

I can't believe what some ppl will sell/buy on ebay...crazy!!

Thx again!!

view my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 02:34 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

You can share carts, but not if both you and the other person want to load them on Gypsys. One of you can link a cart to a Gypsy, the other can keep the physical cart to use in the Cricut. As long as the person with the Gypsy stays on speaking terms with the person with the physical cartridges (in case there's a problem with the Gypsy and the carts have to be relinked), there's no risk.

I know people are doing it, but I wouldn't sell my carts even if I had linked them all to a Gypsy, especially right now in the beginning when so many people are having problems with their Gypsys.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 07:30 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

People are selling their linked carts but according to the User Agreement that you have to agree two twice before you link a cart you are breaking copyright and performing an illegal action. As well as the fact as what happens if your gypsy crashes. i don't think I would chance it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 01:04 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

They can be linked/unlinked to another Gypsy. If you lose your Gypsy, buy another one, upgrade ProvoCraft will unlink your carts. It's a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo that my brain is refusing to remember right now. If I find my posts over at the Cricut board I will run over here and post how it's done.

I just saw Meg's post. It is "reserializing".

I badgered everyone to death over that question at the Cricut board. Several of the girls helped me with it and I got an official answer too.

No, you can link carts back and fourth with other Gypsies but you will be able to upgrade or protected from loss.

You can still use your carts on your machine or jukebox. So, no worries.

There was no way I was buying this thing without protection since I found out link is forever. I am badgering ProvoCraft for a way to let us deactivate the carts. I will keep badgering them.

Yes, the nutties on Ebay selling their Gypsies with all the link cartridges. They are taking advantage of some people because they are listing cartridges that are not even released yet. Be leery of Craig's List too because once PC finds out about the eBay listing the nutties run over to Craig's List and try to sale.

The girls over at Cricut have some excellent videos. Even for things we only thought we could do in DS the girls are figuring out how to do with the Gypsy.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

PC does not unlink the carts. What they'll do in case a Gypsy is lost, stolen, or irreparable is reserialize a new Gypsy so that it will match your carts. PC has been very firm about the linking issue. Linking is forever.

When you link your carts to a Gypsy, you are warned two different times that it is permanent.

Also, one of the reasons the G comes loaded with 2 carts is so you can experiment & play around with the features without linking your own carts. The Gypsy CS guy told me this. Personally, I think PC should have mentioned the "experimental" reason for including the carts more prominently. They make them sound like freebies, but one of the main reasons they're included is so people can test a G before permanently linking their cartridges.

Definitely check out the Cricut boards if you want more info. The gals there are wonderful, even the ones who are having problems with their Gypsys and/or Provo Craft. They're sharing their experiences and helping others avoid the same problems, or at least offering a shoulder to those going through the same thing..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 06:30 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

I think the same thing about linking cartridges. It belongs to you and you should use them. However, knowing that there are 'pirates' out there, I'm sure some one sooner than later will find a code to unlock the gypsie cartridges and enable them to be used on any machine.

Enjoy your creations and have a happpy Sunday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

thank you all...I love all the info here. This will help me to make the BIG decision to spend this kind of money. Maybe I'll wait til income tax time...but I just want one so bad...teehee!!

view my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Jeri; I'm all about finding it cheaper than at the store! Sometimes the Cut at home people run pretty good sales, you might want to check them out.

I'm all about saving money! Love those coupons babe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #28  
Glitter Queen

While the Gypsy looks like a fun gadget...I'm unsure about the screen size. I Love DS and not sure I could get used to designing on such a small screen. Plus I like being able to use multiple mats in DS and from what I understand, at this time you can't do that with the G. Correct me if I'm wrong. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

The newest update for the gypsy which came out earlier today allows for multiple mats on the gypsy as well as there is now full compatibility between DS and the gypsy now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #30  
Glitter Queen

sammsmom1...that is good to know. It's getting more appealing all the time. Glad it will now work with DS, too. I don't think I will ever completely give up my DS even if I give in and get the G at some point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 01:22 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by BugJunkieView Post
While the Gypsy looks like a fun gadget...I'm unsure about the screen size. I Love DS and not sure I could get used to designing on such a small screen. Plus I like being able to use multiple mats in DS and from what I understand, at this time you can't do that with the G. Correct me if I'm wrong. : )
I just got my Gypsy today. I LOVE IT! The size is not a limitation. I had no problems at all using it. The screen is nice and bright. The new update also gave us a better zoom feature so we can view what we are designing in Full Page.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammsmom1View Post
The newest update for the gypsy which came out earlier today allows for multiple mats on the gypsy as well as there is now full compatibility between DS and the gypsy now.
I am soo excited about this! AND it works! I made a quick (well, sortof quick) tutorial late last night. The video shows how to change files so they can be transfered from CDS to Gypsy, tranferring a file, and cutting with the Gypsy. It can be found HERE. I hope it can help someone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Registering your Gypsy

Got my Gypsy today!!!!! Where do you go to register? The 'Quick Start Guide' directs you to www.provocraft.com/gypsy. I downloaded the Gypsy Sync Software. When I click on the register button, I get sent back to the download screen. There is nowhere to register the Gypsy on the regular Provocraft site.

I am having fun learning how to use this version of DS. I could never get a project done with the computer version. I like that the Gypsy method is more of a direct contact with the image/letter. Kept trying to weld letters in a title with the DS and NEVER was able to get it the way I wanted. I know it is just a 'ME' thing because OP seems to do just fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

I was watching some You Tube videos on how to use the Gypsy. Guess what, one of them was on updating your Gypsy and showed how to register. The 'Quick Start Guide' does not tell you that after you download the 'Gypsy Sync Software', an icon will be appear on your desktop. When you click on this icon to check for updates with your Gypsy plugged into your computer, you will be notified your Gypsy is not registered so just follow the directions and you can register your Gypsy.

Hope this helps some other anxious new owner!

Now on to play with my new gadget.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2009, 12:10 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

I used the Gypsy sync software to register. It opened right up and took me to the registration page. I got the HSN Bundle. PC honored our 700 points even though HSN shipped later. Don't forget to check your e-mail for the points.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

My sweet baby sis ordered one of these on HSN on Monday and had it in her hands on Wednesday...isnt that just way too fast???? lol. It is her Veterans Day gift from her hubby..blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

I don't even know if I want to admitt this part... but hey maybe you can get lucky too.

Our local Michael's store had a display saying that the machine was $179.00, it didn't say this was a "sale" price. I purchased mine and used my 40% off coupon.... yupper a gypsy for less than $110.00. I didn't realize they are supposed to be nearly $300.00, man I got lucky!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, you are lucky to be able to use the 40% coupon because all the Michael's coupons I have state that Cricut, Yudu, Slice and Gypsy items are excluded.

Even the mislabelled price of $179 is REALLY good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2009, 05:52 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Default Gypsy prices

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
Wow, you are lucky to be able to use the 40% coupon because all the Michael's coupons I have state that Cricut, Yudu, Slice and Gypsy items are excluded.

Even the mislabelled price of $179 is REALLY good!
It was a terrifi price. I'm having a little trouble with my USB cable to the cricut. Probally just need a new one. I have all but two cartriges linked and am looking forward to new cartridges.

I also have a sizzix big shot express, love it! http://www.itscheaperthantherapy.com has great prices on the dies and great sometimes free shipping! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

My sis is loving hers so far. The one thing she said you have to be careful of is purchasing used cartridges because if they were registered on someone elses system you will not be able to use it on your gypsy...It is a cute little unit for sure.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes