Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:56 AM   #41  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sort of a faux coil punch?

I think so, too. I really don't think a coil would stay in.

I've seen some cute cards & tags using the SU punch!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #42  
Glitter Guru

There are a number of the edge designs that, IMO, are going to punch upside down. They won't be for bottom edges, they'll be for top edges.

Top or side edges. They look really cute along the edge. I just tried a couple.

There's a punch that will look great with the Jackpot DS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Found a whole end display today at Michael's in NorCal. I bought 3. (my sister was with me and I left the store to do other shopping and came back) I got swiss cheese (the one everyone is calling 'the bubble' one), dotted wave-thought it would work with the 'swiss dot' CB folder and zigzag stitch-faux stitching along a zig zag edge. They were $14.99 but used a coupon. The new shape punches are $9.99. Saw a cute flip flop one but it looked tiny so didn't think I 'needed' it ---yet?

Tried them out and they work great like most EK Success punches do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

went to the local Mike's in Hickory NC....the whole end cap had me thinking and thinking.....i only got a corner punch, but i was tempted by the bubble/swiss cheese one. the punch works great !!

maybe i will return with another coupon.....nice to see something new there......ususally it's same-old

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #45  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
I don't believe the punched paper is supposed to be functional. It was my understanding that the paper would look as though it was torn from a binder. Does that make sense? Sort of a faux coil punch? Perhaps my take on this is incorrect but it is the only thing that makes sense unless you like books with the pages falling out! ;)
Nuh uh....I don't need a punch to do that, my notebook pages do fine falling out on their own! Yes, I do know about page reinforcements. What? I'm supposed to remember to actually use them...ooooooOOOOoooooh....

Now that I am all hot and bothered by these new punches...how long (if ever) will my local Mikes get them in? They never did get the Martha Stewart Valentine heart border punches...grrrrrrrr.

Joan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #46  
Mad Swapper

OMG ... I saw these today. I am going to use my 40 % off on them. They also have a spiral punch like SU punch !!! but much cheaper. They even are selling a packet that will sharpen the cutter. I think it has some sort of foil in it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #47  
Kookie Creator

Default Wait a minute!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
I don't believe the punched paper is supposed to be functional. It was my understanding that the paper would look as though it was torn from a binder. Does that make sense? Sort of a faux coil punch? Perhaps my take on this is incorrect but it is the only thing that makes sense unless you like books with the pages falling out! ;)
I think I found out the use for this punch if it is functional: to cut out the shape and slits for altering notebook covers; after all, they'll be glued on anyway. Duh!!!!! Is the SU one functional?

Joan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default New Punches

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
You're welcome for the coupon.

I went to Michaels today and bought six. I'd have bought more but I only had six coupons, so I'll have to go back and get the rest! I got a nice cashier that let me use multiple coupons as long as I paid cash and did them all in separate transactions (too many CC receipts for the same amount at the same time would have looked fishy.)

There are a number of the edge designs that, IMO, are going to punch upside down. They won't be for bottom edges, they'll be for top edges. I got some that will have to be used as either top decoration or by punching a paper strip so I can put it wherever I want.

They are $14.99 at the Michaels in Cincinnati, Ohio ($8.99 with the 40% coupon).
Which Michael's in Cincinnati, Ohio? I live closest to the Tri-County Loc., then next the West Chester/Tylersville Rd. Loc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #49  
Insane Embellisher

I went to the Michaels in Wentzville, Missouri, (just outside of St Louis), they had the whole end cap full. I bought one and I LOVE IT!!! It cuts so clean. I also used my 40% off, what a great price and good quailty too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #50  
Glitter Guru

Lisa, I was at the Mike's on Fields Ertel (in the Target/Costco shopping center). The punches were still in boxes, but the clerk let me go through and pick what I wanted -- and then let me use multiple coupons as long as I paid cash in separate transactions. I was shocked! I always ask if I can go through the lane twice, but this Mike's almost always says no. The coupons do say one per day so I never push it -- but I do ask!

I only had one page (six) coupons on me, but there are more punches I want so I'll be going back tomorrow. I hope I get another nice clerk, but I'm going to take a couple kids just in case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #51  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

Ooh thanks for the heads up. Been to Michael's twice today and didn't notice these---but then didn't really wander. First time I went for the $1 Easter stamps---finally found them---they weren't with the Easter stuff like the Valentine's were but in the $1 stamp bin. After some rummaging--I got 'em! Wish they had some for St. Patrick's day too. Oh well. Then had to come back to get stuff for son's togo party at school and found a mini pocket on clearance. What a deal. So, then after getting home found I had no safety pins to hold the togo on--well they are here somewhere but who knows where---so off to Wal-mart (not the super one--it has super nothing!!!) but the old small one. I got the safety pins and found 7 Christmas punches (Martha Stewart) regularly $8.97 but now $2!!!! What a steal! So, yep I got those too. Funny thing is down the craft aisle they had identical punches in a different colored box for $8.97 a piece! So, yeah for me!

Oh back to topic on hand---thanks for the enabling. I will be checking them out tomorrow after the Togo Party! I hope ours has them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 02:57 AM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

bought 126.00 worth of these new punches at the meriden ct micheals
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #53  
Mad Swapper

I went there today and got the birthday candle one. So far, I do NOT like it. I need to try it on different paper but it won't release the paper and just rips so I will try again. But so far I am NOt impressed with that one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #54  
Matboard Maniac

Oh my! Just when I was so proud of myself for not making a purchase at local craft store for two weeks. Well, I guess I've been good too long. Michael's here I come! I' m jealous of those who have such accomodating clerks who allow multiple purchases. I haven't been so lucky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #55  
Glitter Guru

Bound4london, I found that some designs will rip copier-weight paper, but they do a beautiful job on thicker paper and cardstock. (The candles, dinos, and beach punches were especially difficult.)

I was testing my new punches on some of my kids' papers from school (yeah, bad mommy) and there was some ripping when I tried to remove the punch. When I switched to thicker paper/cardstock, there was no ripping and the cuts were nice and sharp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #56  
Gabfest Goddess

Show this thread this morning, had to run errands, soooo of course went into Mikes to see what all the excitement was about! Great variety of punch styles! I only picked up one, the pine tree line one. Haven't tried it out as of yet, but I am chomping at the bit. Thought it would go well with Noble Deer and the other set with the moose, bear,etc sillhouetes. I too will be using those fabulous 40% off coupons on these babies!!

God and America, Family and Friends, Stampin' and Zumba....so much to be thankful for!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #57  
Insane Embellisher

Found them at my Mikes today and I got the wavy edge with the holes using my 40% coupon. I was chatting with a fellow crafter and we opened up a few and tried them on paper first. Some of the ones I thought I would really like didn't seem so hot on actual paper- so try them first if you can (they slide right out of the plastic case easily). They all sure punch like butter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #58  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the advice TheOtherMeg. I found an icky colored cardstock that I never use and played with it. It does work---I wish it would work on the lighter weight but I will survive. It is cute. Now I need some more coupons so that I can go get some more ;) And an addition to the house to store everything in and be able to find it to use it.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #59  
Glitter Guru

You're welcome.

In post #35, there's a link to a printable Michaels coupon. Print a few and take some kids with you to go through checkout. (Or maybe you'll get lucky and a nice clerk will let you use multiple coupons in separate transactions. My closest Mike's has been really nice about that lately. I wonder if they're just glad people are out buying non-necessities and are willing to bend the "one coupon per customer per day" rule..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

I had bought 3 of the edge punches. Like the OP said, ones you thought you might like aren't really that great. One of the ones I bought was the zig zag stitch-the faux stitch doesn't really show. I tried it on solid color cardstock and you have to tilt it in the light to see the stitching-taking it back for an exchange.

The wavy dot doesn't like my vellum. The punch wouldn't release the vellum until I hit the one metal cutting plates lightly with something. It worked great on cardstock though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #61  
Forum Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
I had bought 3 of the edge punches. Like the OP said, ones you thought you might like aren't really that great. One of the ones I bought was the zig zag stitch-the faux stitch doesn't really show. I tried it on solid color cardstock and you have to tilt it in the light to see the stitching-taking it back for an exchange.

The wavy dot doesn't like my vellum. The punch wouldn't release the vellum until I hit the one metal cutting plates lightly with something. It worked great on cardstock though.
You might try the vellum again and layer it with a thin sheet of cs to make the cut. Sometimes all it needs is a bit more stiffness in surface to get the punch to release.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

I was trying to punch through 2 pieces of vellum. Thought it needed more thickness than 1 piece of vellum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by tradergirlView Post
You guys can see them on my blog, if you are interested. Click on the pictures to see them better.

http://evafromca.blogspot.com/2009/0...ha-photos.html

Eva
Ut O and Oh no! They are fantastic - thanks for the pictures!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #64  
Kookie Creator

My Michael's was fully stocked with these punches today. I bought one but am going back for another one tomorrow. The cashier said they are a very popular item. What I like about them is they have border punches with matching single punches that can be used together to make a really cute card. I like the moon and stars border with the moon and stars punch but I also like the bubbly border with the martini punch...would love to throw the high heel in with it, too. I know I can't get all of these right now but that doesn't stop me from wanting:-( I did get all of the dollar Easter stamps...they're too cute.

They had Iris stackable paper storage cases for 4.99. I bought the last three of those...wanted three more.

All of the punches were on sale but still expensive to me.

My Michael's was stocked better than I've seen it on a while. I was getting worried but I'm not concerned any more. We've got a Hobby Lobby coming to town. That's gonna put a strain on Michael's. I say the more the merrier!

Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #65  
Matboard Maniac

Default Looks like all Michael's stores have these.

I just wanted to add that I live in a small city and we have a small Michael's. (And in IMO it is not well managed.) I headed off today to check out these punches but I was not optimistic about finding them. What a surprise - they seemed to be getting them all! (Some of the spots were labeled but empty and a clerk said they had all not yet arrived.) I took a piece of SU! cardstock and my SU! scallop punch with me. Wanted to see how the edger punches cut the CS and see how they compared to the SU! scallop punch. WOW!!! They were great in every way. Cut so easily and so easy to store. You need to check them out!! Hope they come out with a storage case for the border punches similar to the one for reg punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #66  
Polyshrink Goddess

What's the cost of these???
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #67  
Rubber Obsessor

I made my 11 yo son come with me to Mike's today so I could get 2 with my coupons!!! I love how they fold down!
Made my newest card in my gallery with one i just got!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #68  
Rubber Obsessor

I got my bubble edger w/ the coupon, and I almost returned it. It took all my energy and one sore thumb to release the spring. It punches great, but did I get the only one that was stuck closed?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #69  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricecheckView Post
What's the cost of these???
$9.99 for the simple punches (i.e. duck, scalloped circle) and $14.99 for the border punches
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #70  
Crimping Master

These sound cool! I haven't been to M's in almost a week. I think I am suffering from stamping shopping withdrawl! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #71  
Forum Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caroline K.View Post
I got my bubble edger w/ the coupon, and I almost returned it. It took all my energy and one sore thumb to release the spring. It punches great, but did I get the only one that was stuck closed?
To answer your question - Yes! :p I would recommend that you take it back and exchange for another one - and open up the package at the store and test it before you leave (the packages are easily opened without damaging the wrapping so this won't be a problem). No sense having a persnickity punch when they normally punch easily and cleanly. Just my 2 cents! ;)

P.S. I just bought 4 of these today and discovered that I could open the package and test it out before buying....since I live 40 min away from the store I don't like to have to return defective products! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #72  
Hardware Hotshot

Friday night I checked another local Michael's (Brookfield, CT) and they had them on an end display! I purchased four ... Dotted Scallop, Scallop Diamond, Swiss Cheese, and Lines and Dots. They work beautifully! The best part is, I got them all at a discount with coupons!!!

The cashier was super nice! I dragged my 13 yo. son in with me, gave him money and a coupon and had him get in line behind me. The cashier said "you can pay for them in the same transaction and use two different coupons ... but don't use yours, I have some here." With that, she rang up my first two. I asked if I could go back for more and use my coupons, and she said "sure, go ahead." So with that, I went and picked out two more!!! How nice was she?! I thanked her many times for being so generous. She was so sweet! I was so excited to get so many that I didn't even look for the storage unit. Oh well, I guess that means another trip back. *sigh* ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 06:39 AM   #73  
Crimping Master

Got one this weekend! Can't wait to try it! Love the storage box.Now if they just design a way to store the edger punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 06:49 AM   #74  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I found them at my Michael's too. My store is so strict, that I could only get one. I hope we get another 40% off coupon this week e-mailed, so I can go and get more. I got the notebook edge one, but I would like a few more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 07:21 AM   #75  
Kookie Creator

I was in my local mike's today and they had the new punches but for $16.99cdn and $24.99cnd. I'm going to wait until a shopping trip to the states. Even with the exchange rate it's far cheaper to shop across the border. I could see a few dollars difference but 7 and 10 that's a bit much. They are very cute tho and I can see myself buying a bunch of them. I really want the martini glass, high heeled shoe, flip flop singles and the tree border punch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #76  
Glitter Guru

I dragged hubby into Michael's when he took me out to dinner for my b-day and made him use a coupon and buy me one of these punches while I bought one of the MS punches I wanted. I LOVE the smaller footprint these punches have, what a BIG difference on how much space they take up and love the designs they make! I got the one with the wave and the small holes above it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 07:59 AM   #77  
Pearl-ExPert

I returned the zig zag stitch edge punch for an exchange and also got another punch. (used a coupon for both) I got the scallop diamond and the scalloped scallop. The scallop diamond is sort of like a MS border punch but instead of 2 round holes between each scallop there is 1 diamond shaped hole between the scallops. The scalloped scallop is really cute-each scallop is edged with tiny scallops. All of the punches worked great with cs-lt weight and SU. The only problem I had was when I tried to punch vellum but finally got it to unclench and release the vellum. (Used 2 thicknesses of vellum but will try copy paper next time as suggested by someone here.)

Like that these border punches can be stored on one side like the MS ones. The border punches that aren't designed this way take up too much space. Doesn't help that I buy them anyway because I like the design they punch!

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 02-22-2009 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: add another plus to these punches
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #78  
Mad Swapper

Anjou,
The Fairfax store has them.

I bought the flip flop punch and love it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by askagainView Post
These look great! My M's (Reston, VA) didn't have them on Sunday. Will have to check back!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #79  
Pearl-ExPert

i didnt see these punches in my mikes?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #80  
Die Cut Diva

[QUOTE=Crafter 4 Life;13189611]I had bought 3 of the edge punches. Like the OP said, ones you thought you might like aren't really that great. One of the ones I bought was the zig zag stitch-the faux stitch doesn't really show. I tried it on solid color cardstock and you have to tilt it in the light to see the stitching-taking it back for an exchange.QUOTE]

This is one of the ones I bought, I think. Do you mean it has the staggered holes (tiny holes)? I agree the holes are so small that it wouldn't have much effect used alone, so I used a needle and embroidery thread to literally stitch on the paper. Being one disinclined to actually put paper through a sewing machine, I think it looks great! I used 2 different colors of thread to give it a little different look than machine-sewn.

Oh, and if we're all talking about the same EK Success edge punches, they're not all metal; at least mine aren't. Anywhere I need to hold it to work it is plastic. They work like a charm, though.
Reply With Quote Likes