Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-21-2009, 07:20 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Nesties Vs Punches

I know this has been posted before about which are eveyones favs, but I have a different slant on the question.

I have concluded that it is proabably less expensive to buy nesties, than to buy the equal number of punches ( if you can find them).

Therefore, if you only want something to cut out nesties only, and not all the other die cuts which machine would you buy and use?

This is strictly for cutting out these particular shapes ( circles, rectangels, ovals etc.) not all the others that are done on a cuttle bug or cricut.Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
I know this has been posted before about which are eveyones favs, but I have a different slant on the question.

I have concluded that it is proabably less expensive to buy nesties, than to buy the equal number of punches ( if you can find them).

Therefore, if you only want something to cut out nesties only, and not all the other die cuts which machine would you buy and use?

This is strictly for cutting out these particular shapes ( circles, rectangels, ovals etc.) not all the others that are done on a cuttle bug or cricut.Thanks.
I have a Cuttlebug and absolutely LOVE it!! Though I haven't tried any other machines. Cuts nesties beautifully!!!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2009, 07:50 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am no help.. but I use both! I bought all the standard shapes and sizes for Nesties and am still collecting punches because it's just faster and more convenient than hauling out the die cut machine. I'm lazy.

Designing for my Stamp BOX | Caardvarks | Purple Cows
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Great question! I'm leaning toward getting Nesties instead of punches, too. I think I would only use a die-cutting machine for Nesties and occasional embossing. The Cuttlebug sounds like the answer.

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2009, 07:59 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I think if you are buying a machine just to use for cutting out nesties I would probably go with the cuttlebug because it is less expensive than the other machines. Make sure though that you get extra B plates and an extra C plate, the B plates get cut up and you need to change them after awhile and the C plate after alot of uses can crack, ask me how I know, and it is nice to have extra's on hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default Have both

I have both and the punches make a much better and cleaner cut. They will also cut thicker paper - for the nesties I have to use up the thinner CM paper that I have as the SU, GinaK & PapertreyInk is too thick to penetrate properly.

Punches are more convenient but of course take up more room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

I have a Big Shot machine and several punches. I like my punches for smaller shapes, especially for sentiments. You can stamp your sentiment first, and then punch it out. Much easier that way then trying to center a sentiment on an itty bitty shape. I use all kinds of dies in my Big Shot. I love Sizzix Bigz dies, nesties, sizzlets, embossing folders, etc. I couldn't do without either! You might be surprised what you get into once you have the machine. I think the Cuttlebug is a good machine for the price, but I like my Big Shot better. Feels more sturdy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2009, 09:31 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I have both the Big Shot and a quickutz revolution. I got the revolution for the nesties because it has a magnetic platform so the nesties don't move when placed on the platform. I know that if you look around you will be able to find one pretty cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love my Nesties and use my Cuttlebug to cut them. I've never had issues with SU! paper or PTI paper. They all cut VERY nicely with my Nesties.

I can see the advantage of the ease of a punch, but for me, the overall storage, weight, variety, and portability of the Nesties outweighs any punching advantage.

Of course, this is just my opinion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I use the cuttlebug with the Nesties and have no problems at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am another person who will probably not be any help. I have the Cuttlebug and the pink and black Bigshot and use both with the nesties. I only know that I have nearly every set of nesties now including the new releases and I love them. Use them all the time.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 492 Likes on 309 Posts

When cutting Nesties or any other die cut in my cuttlebug,,,I replace the B plate that would normally be cut into with two small Olfa self healing cutting mats......works a treat, no B plate marks and haven't had a slip yet. C plate, b plate, nestie with cutting edge up, paper, two olfa mats and through the machine they go........

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Another Cuttlebug/Nestabilities vote! You can get the Cuttlebug on sale lots of places very reasonably, or use a coupon at Mike's, Joann, or Hobby Lobby.

It is a nicely engineered machine, small, lightweight and easy to use. In addition to the Nesties, you can use the embossing folders for a great effect with little effort.

I started off with the Giga scalloped punches and bought the circle, oval and square. They were quite pricey, even on sale. They are heavy, take up a lot of room, and only offer one size per punch. They are sitting on my closet shelf gathering dust because I now have the Nesties and a Cuttlebug.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I also can say that I really like the Cuttlebug. I have used the sizzix big shot but can't justify spending the money. I have the marvy punches that I bought before getting the nesties. I do use them also but if I had to say what machine I would get it would always be the Cuttlebug.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

If I was only going to cut nesties, I think I would take a look at the Wizard since they are made for that machine. I have no idea how its price compares to the BS or CB as far as getting it on sale, but the suggested retail price seems to be the same. Since it is from the same manufacturer as the nesties, I would think they would work best in that machine.

http://spellbinderspaperarts.com/the...he-wizard

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scamper64View Post
I love my Nesties and use my Cuttlebug to cut them. I've never had issues with SU! paper or PTI paper. They all cut VERY nicely with my Nesties.

I can see the advantage of the ease of a punch, but for me, the overall storage, weight, variety, and portability of the Nesties outweighs any punching advantage.

Of course, this is just my opinion!
I've never had any problem with my CB cutting SU CS with my nesties either. I'm not planning on getting rid of the punches I already have but will mostly stick to nesties. I don't have room for all those punches! I really like my Label 1 nestie.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-mouseView Post
When cutting Nesties or any other die cut in my cuttlebug,,,I replace the B plate that would normally be cut into with two small Olfa self healing cutting mats......works a treat, no B plate marks and haven't had a slip yet. C plate, b plate, nestie with cutting edge up, paper, two olfa mats and through the machine they go........
Pansy,

Are the Olfa mats similar to the Fiskars self-healing mat?

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I was lucky and haven't picked up a lot of punches. I do, however, have quite a few Nesties and just LOVE, LOVE using them! I have a couple dozen! (EEEK!) I use a Big Shot and home and a Cuttlebug where I teach a Cuttlebug class at my LSS and they're both so easy to use! If you are in Canada, I find that Wal-Mart has the Cuttlebugs for about $67 (it was less during their anniversary week) and I have seen 40% off coupons for Michaels that can be used on the Cuttlebug. Good luck with your quest and hope you find a system that suits you.

Hugs

~Spike
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 01:38 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I use a Cuttlebug with my nesties and haven't had any problem getting a clean cut and I mainly use Bazzill CS. I've kept my collection of punches as they are sometimes quicker & easier to use then getting the Bug & nesties out. I also like that I can easily line up an image in my punch for a quick cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2009, 06:12 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johanna7View Post
I have both and the punches make a much better and cleaner cut. They will also cut thicker paper - for the nesties I have to use up the thinner CM paper that I have as the SU, GinaK & PapertreyInk is too thick to penetrate properly.
How odd. I use my nesties all the time to cut Gina K's super thick Pure Luxury Base Weight all the time. They cut and emboss the stock like a dream.

I have the cuttlebug. I bought it pretty much for the embossing folders. I only had a passing acquaintance with Nesties at the time. I never figured I'd buy any. Now I can't imagine living without them.

One of my favorite things about the bug is that is sucks down to the table when I fold it open and doesn't try to go wandering off while I"m cranking stuff through.

V
Reply With Quote Likes