Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-02-2006, 05:14 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Web Source for Heavier Cardstock than SU!'s WW

I am searching for a heavier cardstock than SU!'s Whisper White--but I need it in a standard 8.5x11 size so I can run it through my printer. I *think* I am looking for 100# weight paper--but I am not sure. I know about Marco's paper (I used to live 20 minutes from the store and could run by and find exactly what I needed, but now I am 9.5 hours away and "running by" is not an option), but don't want to order and pay for shipping for paper that isn't thick enough. Basically, I need the white paper to feel "substantial" on it's own with no layering. And because I am doing birth announcements for a friend with this paper, I need it sooner than later.

Can you help?

Alternatively, I live in the Charlotte, NC area, and if anyone knows of a specialty paper supply store nearby, I would love to have that info too.

Thanks for looking.

Kelle
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2006, 05:23 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I forgot to subscribe to my own thread...I never remember to do that before I post. Sorry....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2006, 05:23 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Georgia Pacific has a large package available at Walmart. It's 110# lbs. I have not personally tried this paper...but everyone here on these boards raves about it!! It's cheap too. About 150 sheets for under 5$. HTH...Karen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2006, 05:26 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Yes, I have the GP white paper, and it isn't thick enough. So that is why I think I need a heavier paper than 110#--I always thought that SU! whisper white was only 80# and thought that 110# would be heavier. But I don't think that there is enough of a difference. I really want it to be much heavier than either of those two papers--thus the delimna of trying to find it online without "feeling" the paper.

Thanks for your post...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2006, 05:52 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Definitely go to Walmart. That's where I pick up my 110 lb. white Georgia Pacific cardstock. It is a bright white too. I use it to copy templates and as covers for booklets. I also use it to print photos off my color copier that doesn't print very nice pics on glossy picture paper. The photos come out nice a clear!

You'll find it in the office supply area with the rest of the copy paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2006, 05:54 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellestamps
Yes, I have the GP white paper, and it isn't thick enough. So that is why I think I need a heavier paper than 110#--I always thought that SU! whisper white was only 80# and thought that 110# would be heavier. But I don't think that there is enough of a difference. I really want it to be much heavier than either of those two papers--thus the delimna of trying to find it online without "feeling" the paper.

Thanks for your post...
I know this is a silly question but why do you need to have it "thicker"? I use white as a base all the time and I haven't had a problem.

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2006, 06:26 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I have some old cardstock that is heavier but I got it at place in northern Ohio that I can't get to readily and made the mistake of using it for a sample for my friend and now don't have enough to do the quantity she wants. I like the feel of the heavier cardstock when it is just a one layer card--it feels richer/higher quality--again, just a subjective opinion. It's kind of like the fabriano mediovalis cards that everyone raves about--it's just a feel or a look that I am wanting to achieve with these announcements.

Hopefully someone will have a great source for really heavy paper!

Kelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2006, 07:17 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase, but I seem to remember someone posting one time, that they go to OfficeMax, and ask at their counter for the heavier card stock they use for when they do copying for people. They buy it in bulk, and it is not on the shelves. But, this person said, if you ask, you can buy some of it.
You may also, want to do a search for thread on paper. Because there were at least one or two very informative ones here on SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2006, 07:22 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Micheal's carries pads of thicker weight stock in their artist supply section. Look for Strathmore Bristol smooth (yellow cover on the pad). It's 100#, but don't let the number fool you - it's a nice, heavy weight stock that works great for card bases. You'll have to cut it down to size because it comes in 9 x 12" pads, but it's so worth it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2006, 07:34 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkowalk
Micheal's carries pads of thicker weight stock in their artist supply section. Look for Strathmore Bristol smooth (yellow cover on the pad). It's 100#, but don't let the number fool you - it's a nice, heavy weight stock that works great for card bases. You'll have to cut it down to size because it comes in 9 x 12" pads, but it's so worth it!

That's great to know. Thanks! I too feel like the white cs from SU is not thick enough to use alone for a single layer card either. I go to a speciality stamp store to buy mine. But Michaels is alot closer to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2006, 07:38 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Couple of thoughts. You can always call Marcos and just describe what you want. Also, don't rely totally on the weight # as that is not always a reliable indicator of sturdiness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2006, 08:41 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I was looking on cut card stock yesterday and they have what they describe as a thicker smooth white paper, I am tempted to order some just to check, but haven't yet..let me get you the link:
http://www.cutcardstock.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=98

If anyone has tried this love to hear, it is called
Astropaque WHITE 250 sheets 80 lb cover weight
It is 14 dollars for 250 sheets, which works out to 6 cents a sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2006, 09:37 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

nkowalk--Your suggestion is a good one--I will have to try going to Michaels if all else fails. I like the idea of seeing the thickness of the paper before buying it.

Joan B--I never thought about calling Marco's--good idea. I am wondering why the weight # doesn't give an accurate measurement of "sturdiness". You would think weight is correlated to thickness.

Hedgiemama--I might try the wild goose chase to office depot & the like and ask if I go near one. I haven't searched specifically for the paper threads about thick card stock (although, I do read them when I see them...)

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Kelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2006, 12:26 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Sam's club = 110wt (250 pcs) for $6.xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

You're looking for 80# COVER stock, not 110# Index or whatever it is that WalMart has. I know that SU insists that the VV and WW are 80# cover, but they just *can't* be -- they are entirely too wimpy! More like 65# cover, in fact.

Be that as it may -- a great online source for superb cardstock is www.neenahpaper.com -- get thee thither! :mrgreen: They're still having their Winter White sale, and I'm sure you can find something that will work for your project. They have scrapbooker's/stamper's packs of 40 sheets of cardstock, as well as full reams. To find the smaller packs, go to the Office, Home & Hobby link. Any papers listed with a red asterisk are on sale. For smooth surface, I recommend their Classic Crest Smooth or Super Smooth. They also make the wonderful Columns stock, as well as a Linen and a Laid texture. I've been ordering from them for years, and have been very happy with the products and service. Have fun!! :cool:

Happy trails....

Sue

Quote:

I am searching for a heavier cardstock than SU!'s Whisper White--but I need it in a standard 8.5x11 size so I can run it through my printer. I *think* I am looking for 100# weight paper--but I am not sure. I know about Marco's paper (I used to live 20 minutes from the store and could run by and find exactly what I needed, but now I am 9.5 hours away and "running by" is not an option), but don't want to order and pay for shipping for paper that isn't thick enough. Basically, I need the white paper to feel "substantial" on it's own with no layering. And because I am doing birth announcements for a friend with this paper, I need it sooner than later.

Kelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2006, 04:10 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I am starting to understand the difference between index and cover stock! Ah...I knew there was something missing in my understanding the number(weight) of the the paper..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2006, 06:40 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Sorry all...

I must have just fallen off the turnip truck but I have *no* clue what you mean about the "index" and "cover" stock weight.

Anyone care to help me? Please? :-)

Alexa says I'm her mommy's Pretend Stamping Friend....what an honor!

�What we do for Ourselves, dies with Us. What we do for Others and the World, Remains and is Immortal." ~ Albert Pike
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2006, 07:03 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by happystamper05
Sorry all...

I must have just fallen off the turnip truck but I have *no* clue what you mean about the "index" and "cover" stock weight.

Anyone care to help me? Please? :-)
From cutcardstock.com:

PAPER WEIGHTS:
Paper weights can be very confusing. We would like to offer a very general understanding of paper weights. This is not technical, but we will associate common weights with everyday items you may come in contact with. Here at Cutcardstock.com we deal with two basic weights, "TEXT WEIGHT" and "COVER/CARD WEIGHT". These two identifiers are probably the most important factors when you are purchasing a sheet of paper for your project. TEXT WEIGHT comes in varying weights, but will have a touch like a 'letterhead' paper you may have in your office. COVER WEIGHT (CARD WEIGHT) comes in varying weights, but will have a touch like your 'business card' or 'post card' you may have in your office. Keeping these things in mind, we will list some common weights below.

TEXT WEIGHT:
20LB - typically used as all-purpose paper, for copying machines, etc.
24/60LB - typically used for laser/ink printing and letterheads
28/70LB - typically used for letterhead and other important documents
80LB - a bit heavier than letterhead paper
(and the weights continue to go up....but this is still 'text weight' paper....don't let the similar weights confuse you with cardstock)

COVER WEIGHT:
57LB Vellum Bristol - typically used as mass mailing postcard (light weight postcard)
67LB Vellum Bristol - typically used as postcards
65LB Cover - typically used as light weight business cards, greeting cards, post cards, etc.
90 LB Index - typically used as light weight business cards, door hangers, post cards, etc.
80LB Cover - typically used for business cards, etc.
89LB Cover - etc.
92LB Cover - etc.
105LB Cover - etc.
110LB Cover - etc.
(and the weights continue to go up)
Hopefully by now this is starting to make sense. **Very important example, 80LB is listed in our text category and our cover category, but they are completely different paper. **
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2006, 07:13 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

If you want a heavy cardstock, try finding a paper mill in your area, you might be able to get press sheets samples for really cheap. You will probably want a 120# cover stock if you are looking for somthing sturdy. Very hard to find. You can also spray mount 2 sheets together for a more sturdy paper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2006, 06:17 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I don't know if this will help or not, but here is the link to a prior discussion of cardstock weights and types ==> Forums at Splitcoaststampers

My 'dissertation' is the 4th post, I think. HTH!

Happy trails....

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2006, 06:45 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

The Walmart white is 110# and is approximately 30% heavier, thicker, sturdier than the SU which is around 80#. It is also a very white, white. Works well and is an amazing bargain at 150 sheets for $4.99.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2006, 06:56 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Try http://www.neenahpaper.com/

They sell paper packs but with the paper packs you can get free samplers and they have the best thick cardstock in their free sample packs. It's called coverstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2006, 07:25 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

You all have been so helpful! Thank you for all your information--I knew something was up when the numbers weren't corresponding between weights and thickness. I didn't know there was a difference between text & cover weights.... good insight!

I am off to check out www.neenahpaper.com

Thanks again!

Kelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 06:58 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Thank you guys for all this wealth of information! I had *no* idea.
I'm off to do some serious paper reading...

Thanks again for all your help!
Rubber Hugs,
Renee

Alexa says I'm her mommy's Pretend Stamping Friend....what an honor!

�What we do for Ourselves, dies with Us. What we do for Others and the World, Remains and is Immortal." ~ Albert Pike
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 08:13 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to my copy of the SU Product Guide, Whisper White and Very Vanilla are 65 weight, with the majority of the colored cardstock at 80. I don't know where SU has said that their white was 80...

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2006, 09:20 AM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by duffgirl
According to my copy of the SU Product Guide, Whisper White and Very Vanilla are 65 weight, with the majority of the colored cardstock at 80. I don't know where SU has said that their white was 80...
I was just about to say the same thing, Milette. SU's CS has always been 65 weight and they have never claimed it be heavier.

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2006, 08:13 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Hmmm..... I've been a demo for almost 6 years now, and must admit that I missed the change in the Product Guide to 65# cover weight for the WW and VV. However, when they were called US White and Vanilla, they *were* listed as 80# cover weight, and they *were* heavier! I still have some US White from back then, and can tell a huge difference from the current WW...

I'm glad to see that they're admitting to the current 65# weight. IMHO, 65# isn't sturdy enough for the base card itself -- which is what I believe the OP was asking about. ;)

Happy trails....

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2006, 08:59 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scpd
Hmmm..... I've been a demo for almost 6 years now, and must admit that I missed the change in the Product Guide to 65# cover weight for the WW and VV. However, when they were called US White and Vanilla, they *were* listed as 80# cover weight, and they *were* heavier! I still have some US White from back then, and can tell a huge difference from the current WW...

I'm glad to see that they're admitting to the current 65# weight. IMHO, 65# isn't sturdy enough for the base card itself -- which is what I believe the OP was asking about. ;)

Happy trails....

Sue
Well, I have also been a demo for 6 years, and I never remember them saying it was 80 pound weight. Can someone verify this from materials? I have my original demonstrator manual from 2001 (from the good ol days when they actually sent a REAL copy of the manual with annual ammendments, crazy!) and it says that US White and US Vanilla is 65# weight...

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Well, I have also been a demo for 6 years, and I never remember them saying it was 80 pound weight. Can someone verify this from materials? I have my original demonstrator manual from 2001 (from the good ol days when they actually sent a REAL copy of the manual with annual ammendments, crazy!) and it says that US White and US Vanilla is 65# weight...

Me, too. I signed up in Feb 01 and the WW and VV have always been the same weight.

Robyn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

And as far as the OP goes, she has every right as her personal preference to desire a heavier weight CS, and I think she has gotten some excellent suggestions for that. Good thing we have a big, beautiful crafting world out there with so many options.:-D

In my six year experience with SU, I have only encountered the current weight of 65 with the White and Vanilla, regardless of name(not saying that at one point it was something else, but I don't see where they have ever tried to pass it off as heavier weight when it clearly was not). It was always designed to be a thinner weight cardstock to cut down on the bulk of cards, because in the past it was mostly used in layers.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Find your nearest TAC Demo!

TAC has what they call 80# and it is much heavier than SU. It is too heavy to use for layers on cards, but boy is it nice!

I'm sure you can find someone here on SCS near you and most Demos have it in their own stock pile!

Just ask! They'll find you!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2006, 11:29 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Your old friends at Marcos sell tons of paper over the phone and have very nice bound sample books of cardstock. Just give them a call and they would be happy to work with you.

Keep in mind that the weight of the paper and the thickness can be two different things - better paper may well be more compressed and smoother. So the weight is not as significant as the quality of the paper, especially if you are stamping on it.

Nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Nina,

Thanks for your point about a paper's compression and surface for stamping. I actually have one of those Marco's sample books and need to go find it before calling them.

I went to neenahpaper.com and found heavier cardstock (120#) but not in 8.5x11 size--nor could I find prices on their samples. I just did a quick look, but will have to investigate more tonight after the kids go to bed.

I want to thank you all for your info about all the sources for paper, description of paper text vs. stock weights, etc.

I love SCS & all those who share here!

Kelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2006, 12:53 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I went to neenahpaper.com and found heavier cardstock (120#) but not in 8.5x11 size--nor could I find prices on their samples. I just did a quick look, but will have to investigate more tonight after the kids go to bed.
Kelle
Kelle,

I ordered some samples from neenahpaper.com yesterday. You only pay for shipping for up to 4 sample packs (10 sheets in each pack). The shipping is FedEx ground $12.95. I too was looking for the prices! I will let you know what the samples are like. I ordered a variety, but I think all were the 80lb cover weight.

:-) Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #35  
Mad Swapper

Since I no longer have my 2001 Demo Manual, I can't dispute you. Clearly, I am wrong -- and I apologize to anyone I may have offended with my faulty memory! :mrgreen:

Happy trails....

Sue

Quote:

In my six year experience with SU, I have only encountered the current weight of 65 with the White and Vanilla, regardless of name(not saying that at one point it was something else, but I don't see where they have ever tried to pass it off as heavier weight when it clearly was not). It was always designed to be a thinner weight cardstock to cut down on the bulk of cards, because in the past it was mostly used in layers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #36  
danne4

I just opened a new pack of WW on Sunday and the SU label stated 80#. I specifically looked for it because I always wondered why it felt lighter. Whether or not it stated cover or index I do not know. I did not know there was a difference until I read this post.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 06:26 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

I think the Astropaque may be the one SU uses...and I say MAY.
I went to my local paper store to find a type of paper that was ultra smooth and the same color as vanilla. I found an exact match to the color...and it is the same or VERY close to the same smoothness. I ordered 4 reams of paper (1000 sheets) and 4 boxes of envelopes (1000 envelopes). Should last me FOREVER!!!
I have not yet gotten any white in the Astropaque, just vanilla, which is called something else...like cream or something. Sorry, I'm not at home and can't look it up. :( But I do like the Astropaque.
Quote:

Originally Posted by nmslmomto3
I was looking on cut card stock yesterday and they have what they describe as a thicker smooth white paper, I am tempted to order some just to check, but haven't yet..let me get you the link:
http://www.cutcardstock.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=98

If anyone has tried this love to hear, it is called
Astropaque WHITE 250 sheets 80 lb cover weight
It is 14 dollars for 250 sheets, which works out to 6 cents a sheet.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2006, 06:54 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

Also want to say that the WEIGHT rating for paper is not any indication of how thick or stiff a paper is. See my post in this thread...

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

It is post number 23.
You may be able to get a key to whether a paper is "stiffer" or "softer" by whether it is listed as cover (stiffer) or index (softer). But that is only a general rule...not hard and fast.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2006, 07:13 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scpd
Since I no longer have my 2001 Demo Manual, I can't dispute you. Clearly, I am wrong -- and I apologize to anyone I may have offended with my faulty memory! :mrgreen:

Happy trails....

Sue
No worries. Now the real question: WHY on earth do I still have an outdated manual from 6 years ago????Pack rat...:rolleyes:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2006, 09:53 AM   #40  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

No worries. Now the real question: WHY on earth do I still have an outdated manual from 6 years ago????Pack rat...:rolleyes:
Heheh, ok now this made me laugh so hard! I totally can relate!
Reply With Quote Likes