Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-07-2006, 05:24 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Cricut review

Ok so those of you that purchased it.. How is it - Ups and downs? It is at Michales this week with the 40% coupon.. My Michales is sold out.. Joann.com said they will offer it soon and I wonder if I can use the 50% coupons... Can someone who actually owns one give a review.. Is is worth it if I already have the sizzix, Xyron personal and Big Shot?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 08:41 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Joann's typically excludes big ticket items like the Crop In Style Totes, etc. from their 50% off online coupons--ya' really gotta read the fine print on those things! chuckle! But, that doesn't mean that the Cricut will be one of those.

Personally speaking, I own NONE of the machines described, but, if I DID own a Big Shot, I more than likely wouldn't invest in any others. I like the fact that it is non-electric.

I actually use the Coluzzle system, and for economy, storage, transport, prefer that system over having a die cutting machine. But, I still covet the Big Shot! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 10:21 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I don't own one, but I want one after I saw Lisa Bearnson demo it yesterday on QVC! It was so cool! She just typed in the word or letters she wanted it to cut and off it went! I also liked the fact you can go from 1 inch all the way up to 5.5 inches, which really made it attractive. However, it is quite expensive $259.86 as QVC's intro price. And the different font cartridges run about $80 each. That kind of puts it on the back burner for me when you think about how many stamps that can buy!!! But, when you consider how much to buy a Sizzix alphabet and the room it takes up to store that alphabet as compaired to the little cartridge.......hmmmmm.....I think it is moving up to the front burner!!!!!!;)

The Blog

The Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 10:36 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

If I had all of the ones that you have, then, no, I don't think I'd get the Cricut, unless money was no object. Then, of course, I'd get it in a heartbeat, lol!!

Michaels charges 89.99 for the different cartridges here. I suppose with a 40% it's not too bad, but I just HATE it when they raise up the prices like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I have one, and it works great. No problem with using SU paper. I got mine, because I needed some alphabet die cuts, and it is over $100 for the sizzix ones. I like the cricut because with one cartridge, you can make the letter 1 to 5/12 inches tall. It works great for my 6x6 or 12x12 pages. I also like it because it uses 6 x12 paper, so it is easy to just cut a 12x12 in half. Let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I guess my main concern is I already have the Xyron personal cutter and its OK.. It can only handle a paper 4x4.. Does the cricut cut more that one thing at a time.. Like an entire word.. It sounds tempting.. I like the larger size words and die cuts.. How are the dies.. are they like the sizzix - they appear less complex.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 02:42 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Yesterday, when Lisa was demonstrating it, she printed out the word 'party' and it was all conected when she removed it from the sticky paper. My guess is that is depends upon the font that is used. ???

The Blog

The Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 04:51 PM   #8  
spv
Rubber Obsessor

the paper size of the Cricut is really nice...I was able to program it to cut out (16) 2" party hats...and it did it in about a minute (speed set at high)...you can program it to cut out whole words...they are not connected (which is something I thought it would do) but it will cut out an entire name very quickly...the cartridges have some phrases that are connected...you can change sizes, cut shadows and other things...it is really a neat system...I have been reading a lot about the XPC, Wishblade and Cricut and everyone has their own opinions of each...I like the Cricut because of the number of sizes it will cut and all the options...I became interested in it because of the bag/tag/box cartridge...I was able to cut 32 popcorn boxes in no time this afternoon...I used cardstock and it cut great...I have had to practice to figure out speed/pressure/blade depth etc...but overall I like the system...many say for just $100 more get the Wishblade...but for me the computer is to far removed from my craft area...and I don't think I would spend the time designing on the computer...I do much better if I have choices set before me...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 05:14 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Great information!! Thanks so much! It sounds way neat.. I will keep the talk going at my house and if it shows us for mothers day then it was meant to be.. hehe!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2006, 09:53 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

I just saw one demonstrated on the weekend and I don't think I'll be buying one....wasn't impressed with having to use a tool to peel the paper off the sticky backing. Seemed quite "fiddly". It is nice though that you can adjust the size of your shapes, alphabets, but for the price I think I'll pass unless they can make some modifications.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2006, 10:14 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I won't be getting one (Saving my money for the wishblade instead), but I've been following the threads at both 2Peas and on the CK messageboard. Seems like the opinions are very mixed about this one. Some have already sold theirs on Ebay because of a lot of problems.

If it was me I'd hold off for awhile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2006, 10:23 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure you can use the 40% coupon? My Michael's is offering at 20$ off the "regular" price and therefore the coupon is not effective.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2006, 10:30 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Hmm thats a good point.. I think I have decided to wait since it is new.. I jumped right in and bought the Xyron then had to wait for the new cutting pad since the origional one was faulty.. Plus they are not in stock in my Michaels so once the hype dies down I will possibly use my coupon.. The design runner and personal cutting system that I got full price are now sooo much lower in just a few weeks.. so its may be good to hold off..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2006, 01:48 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cricut Video

You can view a demo of the cricut by going to: http://www.provocraft.com/video/index.php#cricut This may answer some of your questions.
HTH
Lynn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2006, 04:07 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

I just bought one and I really like it. Peeling the paper off is not hard, maybe the first time it was a little difficult, but that was better as I used it more. Making the larger letters is wonderful. I did use a coupon(40% Michaels) at JoAnn's. They were hesitant to do it but they wanted my buisness. If anyone has any questions let me know and I will try and answer it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2006, 05:08 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Loading up all my B's and headed to the best gathering evah!

I saw a demo in Roberts Crafts (which is operated by ProvoCraft). It looks sooooooooooo cool. But the price held me back. If I did ALOT with die-cuts then maybe I would think about it.

It would have to be on a REALLY good sale. At my store it was excluded from the 40% off coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 05:58 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Ok well Joann has it online and they have a 40% off coupon BUT you cant use it for that.. I hate when they do that.. BUMMER!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2006, 09:05 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Where can you get the 40% off coupons from Michaels and Joannes?
Do they have it on their website?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2006, 02:04 AM   #19  

There is one nearly everyweek in our local newspaper. (St. Louis Post-Dispatch).
Lynn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2006, 08:30 PM   #20  

Well, I couldn't resist any longer...I saved $120. by using my 40% coupon from Michaels...I've been playing all afternoon and am having a great time! :-D

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2006, 09:54 PM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

How fun Lynn! I'm really debating on whether to get one or not. I don't get the local newspaper, but might need to buy one, just to get the 40% off coupon. Is the coupon, in the ad of Michaels? Or just in the newspaper somewhere? Also, Is it only in the Sunday's paper?
TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2006, 11:18 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Lynn, I just brought mine home a few hours ago & am having fun too! The boxes bags tags is FUN!

As far as the coupons, they are in my Sunday paper here...there is usually a Michaels sale flyer in the paper which most always includes a 40% coupon. As Joan mentioned tho, my Michaels also put the Cricut on sale $20 off so you can't use the coupon. I expect they'll continue this for quite awhile...they will accept the coupon for the cartridges tho. Admittedly not much, but at least something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2006, 04:22 AM   #23  

Well here in St. Louis we get all of our ads in the Saturday paper, but to ultimately answer your question...it's in the Michael's ad. Let me know if you "take the plunge"!
Lynn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2006, 01:18 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Just saw the cricut demo'd at Michaels. They said that it will be on sale for a while, so you won't be able to use the 40% coupon. It seems really nice. I wish I hadn't bought all the punches I own, that would have been a better option, as you can vary the size of the shapes. The cartridges all have a keypad with them, and they are about $89. I'd love to have one, but am saving my $$ for other things. Maybe I can ask for one for Christmas next year.

I also found it is pronounced like cricket, like Jiminy Cricket. I was thinking
it was like cry cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

The lady who owns our local scrapbook store told me that the dealers had to sign a contract with Cricut and in that document are some rules to follow......cannot use coupon discounts, never discount more than a set percentage. If a store is caught selling to customers using a coupon, they can lose the right to sell the Cricut. In fact, I have heard that Michael's is in a spot of trouble for doing this.........and that some people have lost their jobs over this matter. This is only what I have "heard"......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2006, 07:30 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Well, I went ahead and caved and bought the Cricut. We went to Michael's and they were showing how easy it was to use, and all the different things it could cut. Then she said she thought they were coming out with more shapes around holiday time. My husband actually was the one that insisted that I buy one before they were gone. He thought I would use it a lot with all the scrapbooking and card making that I do. I'm still fighting with myself about spending the money. I guess once I figure it out, I'll think it was worth it, hope so anyway. If not, look for it on Ebay, LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2006, 07:44 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Congratulations on buying the Cricut! Have fun playing with it, and let us know how you feel about it. It looks like a wonderful tool to have!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2006, 11:30 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

I Love that little machine. I like that you can make the shadow letter's, I know I will use that a lot of scrapbooking pages. I also got the Doodlecharms cartridge and it has all kinds of neat things to make from snowmen to Thanksgiving turkeys, also makes borders. It took awhile to figure some things out, I'm still learning, but, so far no regrets buying it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2006, 05:44 PM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Well I could not wait and have been playing all day. I think I will love it once I get the hang of it. Got it or under 200 at my Michael's. Guess I was lucky they let us use a 40% off reg price. I got the last one and had to send a friend after it cause I was away and was not going to get there in time. My husband thinks it was dumb but I saved the money back and love it. Happy Mother's Day to ME!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2006, 06:39 PM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

I saved my $$ for the Wishblade and I am super happy with it! $400 but I never have to buy another cartridge. I can use any TTF font I can find! JMO but I would just ave for the big boy if you have all those others already!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2006, 05:28 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

I just got a Cricut Saturday for Mother's Day....I LOVE IT! It is such a huge time saver! I would never have bought it for myself, but now that I own it, I can't live without it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2006, 05:31 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

I just wanted to let you all know that I went to the Michaels website and took a look at their mesage boards and there was a discussion on the Cricut and about Michael's taking the 40% coupons. A Michaels employee who moderates the board said this:

"No, it is not a store by store thing. It is based on whether or not the Cricut is on sale the same week as the coupon. You can use the coupon as long as it is not on sale."

So if you go to Michaels to get Cricut when it is not on sale the store should take the coupon, if it does not I would either talk to the store mgr or call their corp offices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2006, 06:00 PM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

I tried one over the weekend and was pretty disappointed with it. It didn't cut cleanly, even when we played with settings, and the cutter actually lifted the paper up quite frequently causing paper jams. Not pretty. Of course, everyone was so excited to try it that we didn't spend a lot of time playing with the settings too much. But I'd say most of us were pretty frustrated. While I haven't ruled out purchasing one, I have ruled out buying one in the near future until all the bugs are worked out.

It did do a better job with larger letters and longer lines. The smaller letters were pretty much destroyed. And I'd want to do smaller letters with it....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2006, 04:13 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

Default it is all in the pressure

my stamping group met on Saturday this weekend and one of the group had the machine. There was also three different catridges to use there,

We all really liked the end results. There was some of the afore mentioned frustrations with the paper ripping. The problem is that differnt paper requires differnt pressure settings.

I found that when i used it, I put a space first then started the letters and it did not try and rip the first letter any longer.

The lady whom owns it took time to reall read the book and it is all the difference. It is quite instinctive, but there is tons tons to learn in the books. I do not recommend using it without sitting down and really reacing the book that comes with it and the cartidge.

Enjoy - the creativity will flow. The little postcards and posatage stamps it created were so darn cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2006, 04:59 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month June 2012

Received 213 Likes on 120 Posts

Got it yesterday as wedding anniversary gift from DH! He bought it at Michaels with the 50% coupon. Played with it last night....love it! I also have a sizzix and quickutz. Will use the cricut a lot more for alphabet cuts. The neatest feature IMHO is being able to cut from 1" to 5.5" alphas! Going back to Michaels today with another 50% coupon to purchase another die set; will use 40% coupons this week for some accessories and more die sets.

Reading the manual is a must before starting to play. Different paper weights require re-setting speed, blade depth, and pressure. The first cutting "try" was with paper from "The Stack"...I didn't adjust the settings and it tore it to shreds and then getting the torn paper off the cutting mat was a challenge. But, after that "challenge" the mat stickiness was no problem and making the paper / cardstock adjustments takes only seconds. After getting perfect cuts on the paper, I then used SU real red cardstock to practice the cardstock settings and it cut prefectly.

I'm very happy with my new toy and very happy celebrating 20 years of marriage to DH!!

Vickie Y
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2006, 03:31 AM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

I think if I wait a little bit the price will go down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2006, 10:06 AM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

This is just me but, I still like using my stamps. If you want you can read my Cricut story, just put Cricut in the search under the talk catagory. I had mine, 2 extra cartridges and all the extra's, had it two days, and put it on Ebay and sold it. I am using that money for my SU things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2006, 10:29 AM   #38  

I would never think that my Cricut would replace my stamps! EEEEEKKKK! <shudders at the thought> I just look at it as just another tool in my arsenal of gadgets that make my craft time all the more fun!
As with any new product on the market, there will always be those who love it and those who don't. I wouldn't be surprised to see the price come down, but I would think that with the large numbers they are currently selling, it won't be for a while. I was a little surprised to discover that people are actually having to get on a waiting list to get one!
Lynn

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2006, 04:16 AM   #39  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Cricut question

I am seriously considering purchasing one and was wondering on thing about it. In the samples I have looked at on line the word Thanks in the standard words provided in the George alphabet appear to be all connected when cut out. Would this hold true for any word you would want to cut out? If someone could let me know that would be great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2006, 04:47 AM   #40  

Steph,
To answer your question, "no". On each alphabet cartridge there are a few phrases that are offered. Those phrases are "connected". If you were to cut out a word using the alphabet, they would be cut individually.
HTH
Lynn

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukesmom
I am seriously considering purchasing one and was wondering on thing about it. In the samples I have looked at on line the word Thanks in the standard words provided in the George alphabet appear to be all connected when cut out. Would this hold true for any word you would want to cut out? If someone could let me know that would be great!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes