Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-20-2015, 07:22 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My rant against silicone/teflon craft mats

I always worked on large sheets of packing paper or parchment paper, which I could just throw away when they got too bad. I've heard so many people rave about the craft mats that I purchased a pack of three.

I've been using the silicone mats for a few weeks and they have been fine, but they did accumulate some dies that had dried. Yesterday, I was painting some die cuts for a card with acrylic paint. I couldn't move the pieces until they dried, which didn't take long. However, when I tried to wash the mat, the paint would not come off.

I ended up using a rubber scraper to get the paint off, which made a huge mess on my kitchen counter. In addition, the dyes and ink that had dried on the mat stained my white countertops. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper.

Anyone else have issues cleaning a silicone mat? Politically correct or not, I'm going back to plain old DISPOSABLE packing paper.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2015, 08:07 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Are you using a silicone mat? Or a teflon mat? I use the teflon oven liner mats (similar to the Ranger craft mat) and don't have any trouble cleaning paint off them. Well, when I want to. Most of the time I don't try too hard . How did it stain your countertops? Did the ink somehow go through the mat?

I do love freezer paper for gelli printing though - cheap, easy, convenient.

But I like the teflon mats a lot for daily spraying, painting, ink mixing and for protecting my work surface from heat. I got a thicker, black one last week that I love - I cover my whole desk in these mats and then put my SU grid paper on top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think silicone is necessarily nonstick the way teflon is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2015, 08:33 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I just checked my Amazon order and the mats are Teflon. I got ink on the countertops when I tried to wash the mat and then laid it on the countertop to scrap off the dried paint. Apparently they reactivated when they got wet. The white Formica sucked it right up. Grrr.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow sounds like you got a dud. I have used the Simon Says mat for so many years I cant remember when I got it. It has been through the wars and no matter what I have used on it it cleans right up. Glues, paints, silks, inktense puddles, hot glue splotches all just clean of. Have one area that stained and that was purely because I used the the alcohol inks on there to make about 50 backgrounds and the ink just wore into the grain. I love it as well because itsso easy to pack and take when travelling.
Are all three mats like this, maybe they are a faulty batch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #6  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
I just checked my Amazon order and the mats are Teflon. I got ink on the countertops when I tried to wash the mat and then laid it on the countertop to scrap off the dried paint. Apparently they reactivated when they got wet. The white Formica sucked it right up. Grrr.
Yeah any waterbased ink is going to re-activate on there. That's actually sort of the great thing about those teflon mats - you can use them like a palette because the ink sits up on there forever.

Sooo sorry about your counter though - that stinks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Sorry to hear about your inky mess- I don't have much advice about the mat (I usually stick to newspaper or wax paper) but I might have a couple of tricks to get stains out of the countertops. I've had luck rubbing baking soda with a damp cloth into stains, and it usually gets them right out. And if that doesn't work, I can recommend using a thick slice of potato- yes, potato- and letting it sit overnight on the stain. I've used that to get curry stains out of linoleum and other stains off the counters (I have formica too.) Repeat as necessary. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
I always worked on large sheets of packing paper or parchment paper, which I could just throw away when they got too bad. I've heard so many people rave about the craft mats that I purchased a pack of three.

I've been using the silicone mats for a few weeks and they have been fine, but they did accumulate some dies that had dried. Yesterday, I was painting some die cuts for a card with acrylic paint. I couldn't move the pieces until they dried, which didn't take long. However, when I tried to wash the mat, the paint would not come off.

I ended up using a rubber scraper to get the paint off, which made a huge mess on my kitchen counter. In addition, the dyes and ink that had dried on the mat stained my white countertops. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper.

Anyone else have issues cleaning a silicone mat? Politically correct or not, I'm going back to plain old DISPOSABLE packing paper.
I tried the teflon over mats that people recommended and had a mess when I tried to clean up paint it went right through the mat and onto my white counter top! I use the Tim Holtz mat and have had no problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Try magic eraser on your countertops.....works for me like a charm!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2015, 11:09 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also use both teflon oven liners and silicone oven mats. My silicone mats are thicker than teflon. The silicone stains and doesn't clean up as well as teflon but its thickness prevents anything from seeping through to my counters when I clean them. It's definitely not porous, and I'm wondering how stuff is seeping through unless there are cracks or slits in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2015, 01:18 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

if paint or something wont come off with water, try some rubbing alcohol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #12  

Just as an experiment today I poured reinker onto my teflon sheets to test bleed through - this is a big deal for me because my new work surface is wood. I put a sheet of paper under it for the test. I left them for a few hours, added water to them, left them for a few more - no bleed through. I bought mine on Amazon - just the restaurant grade ones in a 5 pack for $14 - they are a slightly darker color than the Ranger version and a TEENY bit thinner, but the performance doesn't seem to be any different. I wonder if yours had a hole in it maybe?

I also bought this black one which is much thicker than the Ranger mat, a 2 pack for $15 - it's MUCH thicker - maybe twice as thick, and doesn't curl and move around as much as the other two kinds. However, you can't really see your inks on a black mat - that was sort of a lucy moment for me . But for heat protection and general work surface protection it's awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I can't imagine not using my teflon mat. However, it sounds like you picked it up and washed the whole thing under water or something - that would definitely reactivate the inks and make a mess. All you need to do to clean inks is use a wet paper towel and for paints I use a plastic pot scraper to get any dry paint off. I DO think I would probably not craft on my kitchen counter without newspaper under my mat because I often go off the edge. I only use Ranger or Scor Pal mats so I don't know if that matters. Sorry about your counters!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2015, 06:30 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks, Cer. That was exactly the problem. I should have just wiped it with a damp paper towel and scraped the dried paint off, which is what I ended up doing.

I just want to clarify. The ink didn't go through the mat. When I got the mat wet in the sink, I laid it on the counter and the water overflowed onto the counter taking the ink with it. Fortunately, a little bleach took out the stains.

Thanks for all the comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2015, 01:12 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Some time ago, I ordered disposable cutting boards to use for meat and chicken. Lo and behold, they have a waxy surface and are PERFECT to use in lieu of a silicone mat. Although they are disposable, everything seems to rinse off easily and if not, I have the option to toss them or use them in a collage. They come in different sizes. Mine are 18 x 24. Knowing the next question will be where to buy them, here is the link: Order Cut & Toss Disposable Cutting Boards HERE!

They come in packs of 100! Happiness is a disposable cutting mat. Gee, I'll bet they could be used with a rotary blade too! I'll have to try that next.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the Tim holtz mat and it works well. Just bought the amazon pack of 5 mats. And they also work well. I dont like the blue imaginecrafts mat. It's for painting and stamping- thicker but just weird. It does adhere to the work surface without needing to be taped down.

Also this is my 3rd post to SCS and it's not so scary!! Love reading all the forums daily
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Of course it's not scary. This site is full of wonderful, crafty ladies willing to share everything they know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish I could buy through Amazon, apparently they aren't allowed to send the Tim holtz mats to Australia. So I have to buy through Craft places at, wait for it $30.00 for one. Unbelievable hey!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2015, 05:22 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ailhelenView Post
I wish I could buy through Amazon, apparently they aren't allowed to send the Tim holtz mats to Australia. So I have to buy through Craft places at, wait for it $30.00 for one. Unbelievable hey!!
Have you tried the mats that are used to protect the bottom of an oven from spills? They are a little more stiff than a Tim Holtz mat, but may be a lot cheaper for you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #20  

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopperkidsView Post

Also this is my 3rd post to SCS and it's not so scary!! Love reading all the forums daily

YAY!
Reply With Quote Likes