Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Cuttlebug Exploded!

Yep, blew off the end like a cannon shot. In truth, it was probably my fault, :oops:. I was struggleuggleuggling with one of the Cheery Lynn intricate dies and apparently asked to much of my ol' Bug; the next thing I knew, the head (or tail) of my Bug was flying across the room with a loud KA-BOOM! that sent the dogs a'runnin. It kinda got my attention too, LOL.

So, here's the ?. Is it dead, or can it be resurrected? I've searched the Cuttlebug sticky (been subbed for 5 years, LOL), but this problem doesn't seem common. I'm able to reattach the plastic end, and it looks fine inside and out, but I can't get the same pressure I had before. I use my Bug primarily for embossing, so I tried some folders and there's definitely no tension there.

Any ideas, or do I need to prepare a funeral for my old friend?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did something very similar and I hate to tell you this but it's probably funeral time. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's time to lay that baby to rest.

All I can say is WOW. I thought I treated my bug like a work horse, but I didn't quite put it under the pressure you did, lol. I too was having difficulty getting finer dies to cut. I nearly returned dies becasue I believed the die was faulty, but in fact my rollers were worn down. It's only good for embossing or cutting basic shapes now. I replaced it with a BS and a new CB. (Yeah I got two new machines).

Last night I used my BS for the very first time to cut wafer thin dies, including the Cherry Lynn doiley dies. Without a doubt the BS is the better machine for cutting with these intricate dies. IMO.

BTW your story made me laugh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I have read of this happening to several other people. I am happy people said something. Now I face the end without the handle toward the living room so if it blows off it won't break anything that it hits.
I work at my dinette table .
Looks like your bug needs to be replaced
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh but your story make me crack up. I love my Cuddlebug and would be quite upset if it gave out. Sounds like yours lived a good life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #6  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 612 Likes on 431 Posts

get a big shot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

I saw the CB is on sale at Overstock: Die Cutting | Overstock.com: Cutting & Embossing Dies, Die Cutting Accessories, & Cartridges It comes with a cut/emboss set. BS on sale, too. Shipping is $2.95.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Kaboom! ROFL! I loved your story. Poor lil' Cuttlebug. She was over loved. I think she went to CB heaven. If she is one of the newer versions PC might be able to send replacement parts.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:15 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I think it time for a funeral for your long time friend. Sounds like you have had it for a long time so I am assuming you have version 1. I had the old version and it died and I got version 2. The two things that are different in version 2 is that when you open it the bed (for a lack of a better word - have no idea what it is called) where you put your plates is shorter. I prefer the length of the V1 especially when I am using my extended plates. Also the bottom suction area is a bit smaller and it does not stick to the table well. Anyway, this has been my experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 06:15 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Hehe! I didn't think they exploded like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I love the CB. But I think for the larger dies it does not work very well.
It is great however, for embossing folders and smaller dies like Quikcutz.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks, all, for the commiseration and input. Based on your input, I gave up my attempts at resuscitation and buried her today; the garbage man will complete the ceremony on Tuesday. Yes, we were definitely long-time friends (I'm sure it was a V1).

All kidding aside, I will miss the familiarity I enjoyed with C'Bug; I got the result I was after everytime. But, in the interest of saving space and $, I'm going to avoid replacing her (especially now that I know I can't get the same type) and use what I have sitting around gathering dust - a BSP and a BigKick (which I understand has the same operating mechanism as the BigShot just with a different skin).

Learning curves frustrate the bejeebies out of me, but I've been trying to overcome that this afternoon. I know, there shouldn't be much, but it's been enough. Perhaps I shouldn't have started with the same @*!** die that killed my Cuttlebug, LOL.

Oh well, onward and upward, and thanks again for the input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

holy buckets! i bet your lil heart was a racin after that!

go for a bigkick from michaels using a coupon. some stores even have the pretty periwinkle machines now!

it seems alot more stable for crankin the tight stuff thro! i have the red and white version and love love love it! no explosions so far ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
Thanks, all, for the commiseration and input. Based on your input, I gave up my attempts at resuscitation and buried her today; the garbage man will complete the ceremony on Tuesday. Yes, we were definitely long-time friends (I'm sure it was a V1).

All kidding aside, I will miss the familiarity I enjoyed with C'Bug; I got the result I was after everytime. But, in the interest of saving space and $, I'm going to avoid replacing her (especially now that I know I can't get the same type) and use what I have sitting around gathering dust - a BSP and a BigKick (which I understand has the same operating mechanism as the BigShot just with a different skin).

Learning curves frustrate the bejeebies out of me, but I've been trying to overcome that this afternoon. I know, there shouldn't be much, but it's been enough. Perhaps I shouldn't have started with the same @*!** die that killed my Cuttlebug, LOL.

Wow, you are all set. Your CB had relatives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Big Shot time!! You will love it. Can't think of a single brand of dies that it doesn't cut perfect every time. (I bet people think I work for Sizzix because I say this on every thread that asks about die cutting machines, lol). Honestly, I don't.

I guess it's just nice to have something in my craft room that I have actually gotten my money's worth out of. (Know what I mean)?

Sorry about your cuttlebug; glad no fur family members, children, husbands or you were hurt during the explosion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

The same thing happened to me!! One side of the cuttlebug just flew right off!! I could not get any pressureno matter what I tried. I replaced it with another cuttle bug but I wished I had gotten a Big Shoy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

When my CB dies (Maybe it never will. My daughters gave it to me and I love it dearly) I'll get a Big Shot. Plan to get the nice pink one if the time ever comes. I don't put long dies in but I do use SU regular dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post

Binx, my Sistah in "cuttlebug grief and mourning."' The exact thing happened to me. I think your bug was as old as mine. I did the same thing...one too many shims. You described that horrendous sould superbly. No luck with provocraft. Our machines too old. The rep, after talking to her supervisor came back with the answer of "i sorry. Perhaps you can take it apart and try to fix it." WHAT?!?!?! She actually suggested an...autopsy on my precious bug. Heck no! Anyway, I love the cuttlebug for the same reasons you do. I had a big kick at the time and still only used it for the XL dies and that was rare! I loved the bug and nothing takes the place. Not even the vagabond which I just got....on lay-a-way;)----scrapyland.com $170 (no ship )
The cuttlebug came with everything you need for cutting thin to thick dies. So, I have to disagree with the lady who said that the cuttlebug was only good for embossing folders and thin dies. As a matter of fact, it has been the use of the thin dies that made most of our cuttlebugs die.
If your budget allows, treat yourself to another cuttlebug. But, I would get to also know your big shot/kick.
Luv ya!
PS: Tell your bug to say hey to mine in bug heaven!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

I'm sorry about your flying Bug. However, this thread is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh!
Reply With Quote Likes