Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and Stazon Stains I was amazed

WOW!!!!! I bought some SU stamps of the 'bay used with staining. I scrubbed them with a MR. Clean Magic Eraser and wow..It is almost looking brand new!

I am talking heavy stazon staining! I am going to get out all my stained ones and clean them up. It is hard on the Magic Eraser...grinds it up pretty good...but wow it is worth it.

Blessings,

Ciebelle
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2007, 03:01 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by CiebelleView Post
WOW!!!!! I bought some SU stamps of the 'bay used with staining. I scrubbed them with a MR. Clean Magic Eraser and wow..It is almost looking brand new!

I am talking heavy stazon staining! I am going to get out all my stained ones and clean them up. It is hard on the Magic Eraser...grinds it up pretty good...but wow it is worth it.

Blessings,

Ciebelle
Why am I not surprised! Once again, the magic eraser works it's magic...love those things!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

did it work on the wood or just the rubber??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I'm not sure if I would want to use the Magic Eraser on my rubber ... be sure to condition them afterwards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2007, 04:25 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Really???? I've never got that thing to anything!!! I just threw 2 of them away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazz4View Post
did it work on the wood or just the rubber??
I'm wondering too... was this on the wood or the rubber or both?

Elizabeth (4/96)
Hannah (9/97)

Andrew (5/00)
Anthony (2/02)

Abigail ( 9/14/06)

"A word spoken in due season, how good it is!" Prov 15:23
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2007, 05:19 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

just the rubber....so far

Thanks for the tip to condition them...what is the best way to do that?

I wouldn't clean my stamps with that all the time. Just in a serious case of staining.

Blessings,

Ciebelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

LOVE THIS!! Thanks - ahhh another use for my magic eraser!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CiebelleView Post
just the rubber....so far

Thanks for the tip to condition them...what is the best way to do that?

I wouldn't clean my stamps with that all the time. Just in a serious case of staining.

Blessings,

Ciebelle
The best way to condition your stamps is to clean them with a stamp cleaner. Some the ingredients are made to keep your rubber nice and uncracked. I agree with not cleaning your stamps all the time with a magic eraser, but once I got the staining up from the rubber, I'd grab my cleaner and clean them really well to get up whatever residue might have been left behind with the magic eraser.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by deiparaView Post
The best way to condition your stamps is to clean them with a stamp cleaner. Some the ingredients are made to keep your rubber nice and uncracked. I agree with not cleaning your stamps all the time with a magic eraser, but once I got the staining up from the rubber, I'd grab my cleaner and clean them really well to get up whatever residue might have been left behind with the magic eraser.
Thanks for the tip. It was so stained I was sure if it was inked up properly. I am going to make sure I keep it clean now!

Thanks

Ciebelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 04:51 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Ciebelle, a huge thank you for this tip! A while ago I (foolishly) bought a collection of "gently used!!!" stamps from eBay and learned a huge lesson - never again! The stamps where very much abused, stained and sticky and looked as if they had been used at a 5 year old's birthday party :confused: Last week I bought some of the stazon cleaner and thought I'd try and clean them up, but will now try the Magic Eraser first for a one time only scrub. Possibly there's hope for them yet.

I appreciate deipara's conditioning tip as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 06:16 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip!! I just had the same experience on the Bay. From now on, I am asking for pics of the rubbah side before I bid!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 08:21 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrotheadView Post
Really???? I've never got that thing to anything!!! I just threw 2 of them away.
:shock: Oh NO!!! Threw them away :shock:
I love love love those things. The other brands that claim to be as good, are NOT. I use them for everything, but never thought of using them on my stamps :confused: This is good to know for when I want to sell some retired sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

You might try using Ultra Clean on the stamps as well, I find that gets off lots of the black staining I have on my stamps. I use it, then condition my stamps afterwards as I don't like the feeling the ultra clean leaves on my stamps. I got mine locally, but many places sell it online, I know Gina has it and she has the big refill bottles:
Ultra Clean
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2007, 01:45 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the great tips! A friend of mine just gave me some used stamps which are very stained. I will try the Magic Eraser first and see if it helps! If it doesn't, I'll try the Ultra Clean. This website is full of wonderful ideas and tips! Thanks to all of you who contribute.

Sue (lesuphna)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2007, 02:02 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

My lss sells a stamp cleaner called EZ Duz It (I think it's from a company called Joy of Stamping) and boy howdy, does that stuff work. I haven't yet met the stamp that I can't get clean with it - AND it's safe for acrylic blocks as well, so you can clean staz-on from your stamp while it's still on the block (staz-on cleaner will ruin acrylic blocks) I bought a set from B-S-T here where the seller stated that one of the stamps was stained black. I had it completely clean in under 2 minutes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2007, 03:41 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Awesome works extremely well too. It gets everything off. You can find it at the .99 stores. On another thread someone else mentioned this and boy am I glad I tried it. It is amazing. I like Mr. Clean as well (Be sure to condition afterwards.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2007, 04:41 PM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

What a great idea. I keep my stamps pretty clean, but I have had the same experience with stamps I got off ebay. So when I read this, I decided to try it for myself. I rubbed gently because I wasn't sure if this would damage the rubber at all. My stamp may not look brand new, but it definitely looks better. Thanks so much for the tip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2007, 11:25 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

If I get something badly stained in a trade, I spray the stamp with Easy Off Bam and use a toothbrush. It works great. elaine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2007, 11:30 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Hi ladies. I saw this thread and I had to share this email I got from my step daughter. This was sent to her by her best friend who's son is in the photo. Just a little FYI.

Chemical Burns to Children

One of my five year old's favorite chores around the house is cleaning scuff marks off the walls, doors, and baseboards with either an Easy Eraser pad, or the real deal, a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I purchased a package of Magic Erasers ages ago when they first came out. I remember reading the box, wondering what the "Magic" component was that cleaned crayon off my walls with ease. No ingredients were listed and absolutely no warnings were on the box, other than "Do not ingest."

My package of the Scotchbrite Easy Erasers didn't have a warning either and since my child knew not to eat the sponges and keep them out of reach of his little brother and sister, it was a chore I happily let him do.

If I had known that both brands (and others like them) contain a harmful alkaline or "base" chemical (opposite of acid on the pH scale) that can burn your skin, I never would have let my little boy handle them. As you can see from the picture, when the Scotchbrite Easy Eraser was rubbed against his face and chin, he received severe chemical burns.

At first, I thought he was being dramatic. I picked him up, put him on the counter top and washed his face with soap and water. He was screaming in pain. I put some lotion on his face - more agony. I had used a Magic Eraser to remove magic marker from my own knuckles a while back and I couldn't understand why he was suddenly in pain. Then, almost immediately, the large, shiny, blistering red marks started to spread across his cheeks and chin.

I quickly searched Google.com for "Magic Eraser Burn" and turned up several results. I was shocked. These completely innocent looking white foam sponges can burn you?

I called our pediatrician, and of course got sent to voice mail. I hung up and called the Hospital and spoke to an Emergency Room nurse. She told me to call Poison Control. The woman at Poison Control said she was surprised nobody had sued these companies yet and walked me through the process of neutralizing the alkaline to stop my son's face from continually burning more every second.

I had already, during my frantic phone calling, tried patting some numbing antibiotic cream on his cheeks, and later some Aloe Vera gel - both resulted in screams of pain. The Poison Control tech had me fill a bathtub with warm water, lay my son into it, cover him with a towel to keep him warm and then use a soft washcloth to rinse his face and chin with cool water for a continuous 20 minutes.

My son calmed down immediately. He told me how good it felt. I gave him a dose of Tylenol and after the twenty minutes was up, he got dressed in his Emergency Room doctor Halloween costume and off we went to the Hospital.

They needed to make sure the chemical burn had stopped burning, and examine his face to determine if the burn would need to be debrided (from my fuzzy recollection of hospital work, this means removing loose tissue from a burn location). My son was pretty happy at the hospital, they were very nice and called him "Doctor" and let him examine some of their equipment. The water had successfully stopped the burning and helped soothe a lot of the pain. I'm sure Tylenol was helping too.

They sent us home with more Aloe Vera gel, Polysporin antibiotic cream, and some other numbing burn creams. By the time we got home, my son was crying again. I tried applying some of the creams but he cried out in pain. Water seemed to be what worked the best.

After a rough night, I took the above photo in the morning. He was swollen and wouldn't move his lips very much to avoid moving the skin on his taut cheeks. I was fighting back the tears, and I said, "Oh honey, I wish I could take it away from you. I wish I could take it off your face and put it on mine." He was so shocked, he started to tear up a little and said, "Mom, no. You don't want this on your face, it hurts so much. You would be hurting. Last night was terrible, I couldn't sleep, and you wouldn't be able to sleep either." It just broke my heart into five trillion pieces - as much as he is hurting, he wouldn't want me to be hurting in his place.

Today he is doing much better. The burns have started to scab over, and in place of red, raw, angry, skin we have a deeper red, rough healing layer. I can touch his skin now, without it stinging, and this morning he went back to Pre-School with Polysporin rubbed all over his face. He announced to the class, "I brought my face for Show and Tell!"

--

Note - he was doing fine as of Friday. Kudos to this diligent parent for informing us all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2007, 11:35 PM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

[quote=gregsgirl707;6989693]Hi ladies. I saw this thread and I had to share this email I got from my step daughter. This was sent to her by her best friend who's son had the burns. Just a little FYI.

One of my five year old's favorite chores around the house is cleaning scuff marks off the walls, doors, and baseboards with either an Easy Eraser pad, or the real deal, a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I purchased a package of Magic Erasers ages ago when they first came out. I remember reading the box, wondering what the "Magic" component was that cleaned crayon off my walls with ease. No ingredients were listed and absolutely no warnings were on the box, other than "Do not ingest."

My package of the Scotchbrite Easy Erasers didn't have a warning either and since my child knew not to eat the sponges and keep them out of reach of his little brother and sister, it was a chore I happily let him do.

If I had known that both brands (and others like them) contain a harmful alkaline or "base" chemical (opposite of acid on the pH scale) that can burn your skin, I never would have let my little boy handle them. As you can see from the picture, when the Scotchbrite Easy Eraser was rubbed against his face and chin, he received severe chemical burns. (Sorry- I couldn't get the photo to upload, but believe me when I tell you this poor boy must have been miserable by the burns in the photo! :( )

At first, I thought he was being dramatic. I picked him up, put him on the counter top and washed his face with soap and water. He was screaming in pain. I put some lotion on his face - more agony. I had used a Magic Eraser to remove magic marker from my own knuckles a while back and I couldn't understand why he was suddenly in pain. Then, almost immediately, the large, shiny, blistering red marks started to spread across his cheeks and chin.

I quickly searched Google.com for "Magic Eraser Burn" and turned up several results. I was shocked. These completely innocent looking white foam sponges can burn you?

I called our pediatrician, and of course got sent to voice mail. I hung up and called the Hospital and spoke to an Emergency Room nurse. She told me to call Poison Control. The woman at Poison Control said she was surprised nobody had sued these companies yet and walked me through the process of neutralizing the alkaline to stop my son's face from continually burning more every second.

I had already, during my frantic phone calling, tried patting some numbing antibiotic cream on his cheeks, and later some Aloe Vera gel - both resulted in screams of pain. The Poison Control tech had me fill a bathtub with warm water, lay my son into it, cover him with a towel to keep him warm and then use a soft washcloth to rinse his face and chin with cool water for a continuous 20 minutes.

My son calmed down immediately. He told me how good it felt. I gave him a dose of Tylenol and after the twenty minutes was up, he got dressed in his Emergency Room doctor Halloween costume and off we went to the Hospital.

They needed to make sure the chemical burn had stopped burning, and examine his face to determine if the burn would need to be debrided (from my fuzzy recollection of hospital work, this means removing loose tissue from a burn location). My son was pretty happy at the hospital, they were very nice and called him "Doctor" and let him examine some of their equipment. The water had successfully stopped the burning and helped soothe a lot of the pain. I'm sure Tylenol was helping too.

They sent us home with more Aloe Vera gel, Polysporin antibiotic cream, and some other numbing burn creams. By the time we got home, my son was crying again. I tried applying some of the creams but he cried out in pain. Water seemed to be what worked the best.

After a rough night, I took the above photo in the morning. He was swollen and wouldn't move his lips very much to avoid moving the skin on his taut cheeks. I was fighting back the tears, and I said, "Oh honey, I wish I could take it away from you. I wish I could take it off your face and put it on mine." He was so shocked, he started to tear up a little and said, "Mom, no. You don't want this on your face, it hurts so much. You would be hurting. Last night was terrible, I couldn't sleep, and you wouldn't be able to sleep either." It just broke my heart into five trillion pieces - as much as he is hurting, he wouldn't want me to be hurting in his place.

Today he is doing much better. The burns have started to scab over, and in place of red, raw, angry, skin we have a deeper red, rough healing layer. I can touch his skin now, without it stinging, and this morning he went back to Pre-School with Polysporin rubbed all over his face. He announced to the class, "I brought my face for Show and Tell!"

--

Note - he was doing fine as of Friday.

I wonder if the stuff on the sponges can ruin the rubber on the stamps if used regularly?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2007, 11:44 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Sorry about the double post! :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 12:47 AM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

[QUOTE=gregsgirl707;6989697]
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregsgirl707View Post
Hi ladies. I saw this thread and I had to share this email I got from my step daughter. This was sent to her by her best friend who's son had the burns. Just a little FYI.

If I had known that both brands (and others like them) contain a harmful alkaline or "base" chemical (opposite of acid on the pH scale) that can burn your skin, I never would have let my little boy handle them. As you can see from the picture, when the Scotchbrite Easy Eraser was rubbed against his face and chin, he received severe chemical burns. (Sorry- I couldn't get the photo to upload, but believe me when I tell you this poor boy must have been miserable by the burns in the photo! :( )

--

Note - he was doing fine as of Friday.

I wonder if the stuff on the sponges can ruin the rubber on the stamps if used regularly?
Sorry to post this but HELLO!!! Magic eraser its suppose to clean ALOMST ANYTHING so you HAVE to KNOW it would be no good for a child to handle! It's a cleaner for crying out loud! Some people just make NO scence! If your kid like to clean give em a rag and water!! TFS though.....;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 03:06 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the main points of this story is that the company should have the chemicals it contains listed on them!! I have an adult cousin who suffered the same burns on her arm from one. Not to long ago there was a gal at work who used one and she was allergic to something in it. And spent time in the hospital. The dalay was trying to find out the chemicals it contained to properly treat her!!
On my tough inked up rubber that I bought from ebay,Yes it was loaded with black ink when I received it. I used TAC cleaner and a toothbrush on it. Yes it took a little scrubbing, but it now looks like rubber. I would not want to something so harsh on my rubber. I will stick with the TAC cleaner and some staining.
Please do not jump on this mother for letting her son use it. No she should not have, but many people think if it is dangerous and harmful then the company would have to list the warnings on it. It is a lesson learned for her and for many of us with children.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 03:59 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

This story is featured on the snopes website:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/eraser.asp

According to the site the story is true and says an apology was issued by 3M. You can follow a link to the original article which has a picture of the boy's burns.

My gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 04:31 AM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

Yeah, I got that e-mail the other day, too.. the one about the kids being burned. I was thinking that whatever is in the Magic Eraser must be STRONG because it does do wonders here at my house. Not so sure I'd want to use them on "delicate" rubber. Just my opinion. I use Staz On or Ultra Clean. I've had the same bottle of SO cleaner and it's lasted FOREVER with heavy use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

I just tried using a Magic Eraser on some of my stamps the other night and it didn't really work that well!

It does, however, work like a charm on tile grout!
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 09:12 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

snopes.com says the chemical burn aspect of the story is a bit of an urban legend. It appears that the magic eraser removes the top layer of skin. I mean, gosh, if it can take marker off the wall, you have to imagine it can wreck havoc with your tender face skin. When you feel the eraser, it has the feel of a microdermabrasion pad. The kid in the photo on the website gave himself a very serious facial. He didn't just remove the dead top layer, he took it down past the healthy skin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2007, 10:22 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

Just to clarify....

I don't regularly clean my stamps with Magic Eraser. I actually have only used it on two stamps in one set. It worked and now I can use the stamps.

For regular use I use Simple Green/water/glycerin...any of those things used on your face or ingested would most likely cause irritation as well.

I probably would not use Staz On Cleaner on other things that it is not intended for.
My post was to simply state that "I" had used it and it worked for "me"

come and play the INK IT UP CHALLENGE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2007, 04:11 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrotheadView Post
Same here. I just thew away 3 boxes because it never cleaned anything I tried it on.
Reply With Quote Likes