Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-27-2007, 06:10 AM   #1  
nak
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michael's - I need advice for my first visit! Really!

I know that is may be hard for some of you to believe, but I will be going to Michael's for the FIRST time next week! First of all, I've never done any crafting in my life until I started stamping with my daughters a few months ago. (LBS - life before stamping.....). Second of all, we live in a rural area that is 2 hours away from any major store. So, now that you understand my situation.......

Here are some questions:

-how often do they put out the 40% off coupon? Do they come in the Sunday papers?

-I assume (from my reading of this wonderful forum), that I should check out any clearance bins - are they in the front of the stores?

-do you find the quality of their stamps to be good? Should I just stick to name brands?

-I can't wait to see all the Martha Stewart craft items - any advice?

So, any and all tips and advice would be appreciated from you vets who have time (hah!) to break away from stamping and respond to this post.

What a beautiful day it is today!

-Nancy Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 06:24 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

How exciting for you!. Here are a few tips from my point of view. 1. Coupons usually are in every Sunday paper although there are some weeks they do not have one. They do not have internet coupons, but they will accepts joann coupons as well, as long as they are from newspaper. 2. Clearance bins, these vary store to store. I shop at two different Michaels and they are very different in layout. Sometimes there is a lot of clearance and sometimes not so much..3.Their stamp selection is ok. They carry different lines such as stampendous and inkadinkadoo. As far as The Martha stuff , it is front and center- right when you walk in. Nice displays and fun stuff. You can now use coupons on the stuff as well. Check out other threads about her stuff. And most importantly make sure you have lots of $$ or a clear credit card!! Have fun,let us know what you think and what you bought.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 07:55 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

My advice for Michael's shopping -

Plan on spending plenty of time in the shop so you can wander and explore

The clearance bins can be ANYWHERE - in ours, they'll be in the back of the store one week, down the west wall the next and in a random aisle 3 weeks later.

If you like the look of their dollar stamps, they stamp quite well. (At least, the rubber ones do. I have quite a collection of the clear ones, but I haven't used those yet, so I can't speak for their quality.) And they are in a separate area from the rest of the stamps!

Don't ignore the section for "real artists." Their colored pencils, pastels, watercolors, etc. are stashed in those aisles, and sometimes they have wicked good buys hidden back there. (In my Michaels, that's way in the back of the store, near the yarn.)

Don't feel like you have to buy something just because you're there and you have a coupon Sometimes it's just not happening and you just have to give it up and visit another time.

And be sure to visit Martha's glitter! It's very reasonably priced even without a coupon, and it's really good quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 08:19 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I need to add that I have several of the Michael's Studio G acrylic stamps - $1 stamps and I love them. Most of them are small in size but are fun and do stamp well. In fact, I am off to my Michaels now...it might be better if it were further from my house but alas, it is only 5 minutes up one street!!! LOL! :rolleyes: have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 08:35 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

The dollar stamps are definitely the way to go if you are just starting out. The wood-mounted ones are good quality and the studio-g clear ones are OK. These clear ones are not nearly the quality of Papertrey or some of the other higher-end clear stamps, but there is quite a variety of styles and a great way to collect different sentiments, etc. There are a few things you can do to get them to ink up better. Stamp on Versamark first and then your water-based dye pad, or use the chalk, hybrid (Palette), or pigment ink pads with them.

I don't think they have a great selection of regularly-priced stamps, but it may just be a matter of taste. Martha Stewart has some great punches and a good deal if you have a coupon. I haven't tried any of her stamps yet. Using a coupon on the Prismacolor pencils would be a good deal too...

Congratulations on your new addiction! You'll find lots of great info here on SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 09:00 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

My advice is bring your debit card, visa or cheque book! (lol)

My Gallery http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=25291

I would be delighted if you checked out my blog: http://www.justforfun.typepad.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 11:24 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Give yourself a good talkin to in the parking lot before you go in. Say to self: "I do not need to buy everything I see, I can live without this, OHHHHH NO YOU DON'T, STOP THE MADNESS. YOu get the idea. It will be there, and you can go again. Know you will be on censory overload. It blew my mind the first time when my cart had all it had, and $50.00 was for $1 dollar stamps. Now come on that is just rediculous. You can always park your cart and run out of the store to take deep breaths. Have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Ahhh, I remember my first time! I am really sick of M's just because they never seem to update stock. But the first time! WOWEE! They really do have a little bit of everything. LOTS and LOTS of cool ribbon, and most if it is not right with the stamping stuff... that's my biggest weakness now when I go there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

I was there yesterday, and I thought I'd point out that even if you use a Joann 50% off coupon, they will only count it as 40% off because Michael's doesn't issue 50% off coupons, according to the saleswoman that helped me yesterday.

(Actually, I think I've seen them on special occasions, but I wasn't gonna argue with her!) ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

prepare your self. get a second job, and under no uncertain terms do you tell your hubby what you spend!!! i am really good at smuggeling stuff into the house

and yes they do have 50% off coupons I had several a couple weeks ago
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 04:19 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Usually, if an item is already on sale, you cannot use a coupon. Frequently, they have the following on sale: stamps, inkpads, xyron machines and refills, cuttlebug and dies or embossing folders. If you don't already have a sales flyer, pick one up in the store. It won't have a coupon, but you will see the sale items. Sometimes the paper is on sale, and scrapbooks. I'm fortunate that they finally built a Michaels near me, so I don't buy anything that's not on sale, unless I have a coupon. Have fun looking at all the goodies. Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Everyone in your shopping trip can use a coupon for "their" individual purchases, so give them your cash to make those coupon purchases. You might canvas neighbors for those coupons that are other wise thrown away. The K & CO. wall is absolutely breathtaking, papers & embellishments are beautiful for card making, not just scrapping, be sure to take the free sample sheets available with this display. Also Michael's has tons of books that might help fuel your newest love, stampin. You'll see...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 09:26 AM   #13  
nak
Embossing Fanatic

Wow! Thanks for all the great tips. I can't wait until Monday night. I won't be back until Thursday (I told you it was far away from my home!) and I'll let you know how it went. My only problem is the coupons. I bought the big city paper at the grocery store this morning, but it didn't have very many coupons - none for Michael's. I don't know anyone in the town we will be visiting to borrow their coupons. Are there any other alternatives for coupons?
Thanks,

-Nancy Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodlicoriceView Post
I was there yesterday, and I thought I'd point out that even if you use a Joann 50% off coupon, they will only count it as 40% off because Michael's doesn't issue 50% off coupons, according to the saleswoman that helped me yesterday.

(Actually, I think I've seen them on special occasions, but I wasn't gonna argue with her!) ;)
The salespeople at Michael's also seem to have varying degrees of knowledge about their rules regarding coupons. I've never heard this one and I don't think it's true. I used my 50% coupon from JoAnn's there just this week. And usually Michael's will have 50% off coupons that are good for a couple of days during holiday weekends (like they did Columbus Day...) HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 10:27 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakView Post
Wow! Thanks for all the great tips. I can't wait until Monday night. I won't be back until Thursday (I told you it was far away from my home!) and I'll let you know how it went. My only problem is the coupons. I bought the big city paper at the grocery store this morning, but it didn't have very many coupons - none for Michael's. I don't know anyone in the town we will be visiting to borrow their coupons. Are there any other alternatives for coupons?
Thanks,

-Nancy Ann
According to an SCS friend that I know used to work at Michael's, as long as there was a coupon available that week, you can ask the cashier if you can "sign" for one at the register. Again, this seems to be another one of those rules they don't advertise and sometimes the cashiers don't know what you are talking about. I guess your best bet would be to talk to a manager.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 11:34 AM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

I am new to stamping as well, but I've been scrapbooking for a while. I remember my first trip to Michaels. We had a new store here in town and I wanted to check it out. I went up and down every aisle. I was in the store at least an hour. Ahh......the memories. *smile*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 03:47 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by WAstamperView Post
According to an SCS friend that I know used to work at Michael's, as long as there was a coupon available that week, you can ask the cashier if you can "sign" for one at the register. Again, this seems to be another one of those rules they don't advertise and sometimes the cashiers don't know what you are talking about. I guess your best bet would be to talk to a manager.
I have asked for a coupon a few times. It does work and you do sign for it. I never knew this little tip until I joined SCS! Thanks Everone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 10:22 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Don't scrap or stamp using Martha's humongus (MS, Sorry) scrapbook paper or albums. You will never afford anything else. The ones put in my MIC is still there. They haven't sold even one album!

TAKE A STAMPIN/SCRAPIN FRIEND
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 10:54 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Money. Take lots of money. And plan enough time that you're not rushing around the store. There's lots to see.

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment" -Ben Franklin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 11:07 AM   #20  
Inking Addict

Default About the coupon issue....

Hi, Having been in retail for over 25 years I can tell you this from my own experience, a major company such as Michaels issues a coupon for 50%, the expiration date is valid and the store location is valid (assuming this much), then for a cashier not to honor it is false advertising. Now there are certain times when the coupon or the store itself will put in a disclaimer stating certain criteria, such as ie. not valid on die cutting machines, sewing machines, etc. etc. , then you are not allowed to use the coupon. I would assume that this is probably the case in this situation. I too did not read the fine print on the coupon recently and found out that that was the situation. Sometimes though, if your very nice and remain positive and friendly, a company will make an exception. Doesn't always work but it never hurts to try either. I did get 40% off my item as well as that was part of the validity of the promotional coupon. Not a bad deal still in my opinion. Just my opinion of course.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2007, 11:06 PM   #21  
Glitter Queen

Default regarding coupon's

i work at a nursing home and all of the lovely people i take care make sure i get the micheal's ad from there sunday paper. you should look on the internet to get an idea of some of the things that you want. then go in there with several coupons, a few family members, and cash. when i go, my daughter, husband, and i collect the things we want to use the coupon's for and pay cash for our purchases. remember, you can only use one coupon per person per day. this way we can get several larger priced items at one time because we are an hour away from the city.

helen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2007, 05:06 AM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the entire store...Don't limit yourself to the paper-crafting aisles. I've found wonderful things to use on cards in almost every section!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #23  
nak
Embossing Fanatic

Well, I'm back! That was fun! We hit 2 Michael's and I used 3 40% off coupons - I used one at each and I had a family member use one, also. We just signed for the coupon as I didn't have any hard copies. So, I got a crop-a-dile and a cutting/scoring tool! Whoo- hoo! I was bummed that the MS Christmas stuff wasn't out and I felt I saw most of the inventory pretty quickly. Thanks for all your advice and help and I'll definitely be going back sometime.

I also went to a smaller Jo Ann store that I really didn't care for.

HOWEVER, I also visited an Archivers store. Now that was amazing!!!!!

Thanks again!

-Nancy Ann
Reply With Quote Likes