Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MARKER CHOICES

I'm thinking of purchasing new markers. I've always used Bic mark it or sharpies. I do not have any trouble with smudging either. I'm not much of a copic user because I don't use shading. Do you recommend a specific brand or type? Do I need to change my dye ink to color? I would love to hear what you all think. I was looking at the stampin up markers.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I was just watching a youtube video of thefrugalcrafter where she talked about markers. She advised buying the colors you want, regardless of price, because all brands of alcohol markers will work with other alcohol markers, all water based markers with other water based markers, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

If you're not looking for alcohol-based markers, I would strongly recommend Marvy's Markers. For alcohol-based, I would recommend the Spectrum Noir markers. I don't do any shading either, but I love the finish of alcohol-based markers; that you don't see any brushstrokes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You are in luck! The Spectrum Noir markers are on sale this week at Consumer Crafts for only $4.97 for a pack of 6 markers. That's a real bargain. They sell them at Joann's for $14.99 a pack. They come in different colorways, and each pack has 6 shades of that color. Here is a link:

Scrapbooking Supplies | Craft Pens, Markers & Gel Pens

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2014, 09:45 PM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

If you live in Canada, (at least in Alberta, anyway) you can also find sets of 6 for about $7 or $8 at Winners, HomeSense, and Marshalls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 06:03 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
You are in luck! The Spectrum Noir markers are on sale this week at Consumer Crafts for only $4.97 for a pack of 6 markers. That's a real bargain. They sell them at Joann's for $14.99 a pack. They come in different colorways, and each pack has 6 shades of that color. Here is a link:

Scrapbooking Supplies | Craft Pens, Markers & Gel Pens
That's a deal! There's a total of twelve six-packs giving you 72 markers. With shipping the total cost is $67.64. You won't find a better deal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 06:16 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I have tons of different brands of markers, copics, Spectrum Noir (which I have had several that was dry when I opened them), SU, Bic, and tombow.

I hardly ever use the SU or the Spectrum Noir markers. I use my Copics the most, and I don't shade either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 06:19 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But if Bic markers work the same as any other alcohol based markers...why spend the extra money on them? My Bic's work fine and cost less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 07:41 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by southgirlView Post
But if Bic markers work the same as any other alcohol based markers...why spend the extra money on them? My Bic's work fine and cost less.
Personally I love watercolor, prisma colored pencils, inktense, and various color mediums; and, one can spend a fortune before you know it. Yes, I'm guilty of having way too many craft supplies, gadgets, and machines. I started out with Bic markers, and they worked just fine. I bought Copics and rarely even use them now, since I love watercolor and other coloring mediums. I bought Copics because the Bic markers didn't have a huge variety of colors, when I started. Currently Spectrum Noir are less than $1.00 each in the six-packs. That's a pretty good price to pass up if someone is in the market for alcohol markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

I have a nice set of 36 colors in the Bic Markers, and I like them a lot. The only problem with the Bics is that the colors are very intense and bright, even for the colors that are supposed to be lighter and pastel.

I have filled in some of the lighter colors with other brands of markers. Especially for flesh tones and the many colors of grey.

I use all brands of my markers together and don't have problems doing that.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like the brush tip with Copics and that they are refillable. I'm into recycling/upcycling so the less waste I produce the better. I'm not perfect but I try. I do have Bics and Sharpies in my stash though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I use Bic's, SU and sharpie markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think buying markers depends on what you plan to do with them. You said you weren't into shading so then I'm thinking you want to color small images and do direct to stamp coloring with your markers. The SU markers would do both pretty well, as would Memento, Marvy or Tombows. The advantage with Marvy and Tombow is in their ink, it reacts to water making them quite versatile since you can do direct to marker, direct to paper (small images) as well as watercolor.
If you don't need that ink characteristic, then the SU markers would be a good fit for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2014, 10:31 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I love my Sharpies & Bics! One of those Sharpie queens, lol. I have a handful of Copics. My DH was going to buy me a set of Copics for my B-day this year but I declined. I know some of you are screaming "Why!"

I have a beautiful set of Prisma's I love. I love them over my Copics. I know they are making brush marker's now too. I saw Sharpie brush marker's last year.

For watercolor marker's. I use Marvy Uchida. Those are my favorites. I also love Stampin Up. I have the old set from 2010.

I am big into making sure my markers are refillable. All alcohol markers can be refilled. There are some great You Tube tutorials out there. It's pretty easy to do. I have refilled my Sharpies. No damage and colors are beautiful.

Watercolor Markers can also be refilled. Lots of great tutorials on YouTube for that too. I think I have my recipe over here somewhere on how to refill markers.

Hope that helps. I know girls I am not so detailed as usual writing go to You Tube. Tiring week.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Quote:

But they don't work the same, at least not for me. I'm willing to splurge on my Copics because of the brush tips and because of the color range in which they're available. And because I can finally get the results I've been wanting.
Reply With Quote Likes