Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-22-2023, 07:57 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Magnetic glass craft mat vs non-magnetic

I am considering a magnetic glass craft mat and they are very pricey. A non-magnetic glass mat is much more affordable. Can anyone tell me If the magnetic version is worth the extra cost. . Currently I have a stack of used printer paper topped with a Ranger non stick craft mat. I like the surface of my current craft mat for its easy clean up but the corners are permanently curled and I’m looking for an upgrade. I don’t cut on my current mat but will use a self healing cutting mat when needed. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
wavejumper (07-24-2023)
Old 07-23-2023, 03:07 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

That's a good question! I have a non-magnetic kind and really enjoy working on it. I wouldn't mind having a larger one and have looked at magnetic ones. But I wonder if I would actually want to work around the magnets (for stencil work)...

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by fl_beachbum:
Here and There (08-01-2023), mrsclark2001 (07-23-2023)
Old 07-23-2023, 09:38 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

I hadn't even noticed that these had become a thing! If you have any magnetic sheets for die storage, I wonder if it is feasible to place one under your craft mat to give you an idea whether the magnetic feature is something you would really appreciate. Or place something metallic underneath for magnets to cling to. Again, just to try it out.

My glass mat was recycled from the top of a rusted lawn furniture table and placed over a ruled craft pad I already had. Love it! It's much larger and thicker glass than the common glass craft mats sold. I recommend switching to glass, but only if it's not a skimpy piece. I also own a metal craft station platform and a silicone mat (Generic ones on Amazon are much cheaper.) but just don't use them a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by GypsyRoseStamper:
fl_beachbum (07-23-2023), mrsclark2001 (07-23-2023), wavejumper (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 04:36 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Default I had a magnetic one

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsclark2001View Post
I am considering a magnetic glass craft mat and they are very pricey. A non-magnetic glass mat is much more affordable. Can anyone tell me If the magnetic version is worth the extra cost. . Currently I have a stack of used printer paper topped with a Ranger non stick craft mat. I like the surface of my current craft mat for its easy clean up but the corners are permanently curled and I’m looking for an upgrade. I don’t cut on my current mat but will use a self healing cutting mat when needed. Thanks in advance.

I own a large magnetic glass board and thought I'd use the magnets when I bought it. I find that I'm drawn to other methods of holding stencils down or paper than my magneti glass mat. Now the glass part of it is fabulous as I can clean up any mess, No corners that roll up. I do still use that mat for distress ink work since the ink works differently on the ranger/tonic rollup mats.
Reply With Quote Likes
mrsclark2001 (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 07:46 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Great question! I have thought about it also. Not sure how I feel about the magnets, either. My first glass mat was a 12 x 12 We Are Memory Keepers. I don't recall for sure, but I want to say it was under $20. But that was a few years ago. (I may have used a coupon) I think they have a larger one now. I got a larger piece of glass that I salvaged from a wood file drawer unit that was being scrapped at work. I have also worked on large pieces of laminated posters just to cover my desk so it didn't get stained up. If you want to get the general feel of using glass without spending a fortune, maybe try a glass cutting board. The cutting side is usually textured, but the bottom is usually smooth. I have used these mostly to put my gelli plates on while I am working, and probably used for ink techniques at some point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2023, 12:47 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 497 Likes on 275 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post
I hadn't even noticed that these had become a thing! If you have any magnetic sheets for die storage, I wonder if it is feasible to place one under your craft mat to give you an idea whether the magnetic feature is something you would really appreciate. Or place something metallic underneath for magnets to cling to. Again, just to try it out.

My glass mat was recycled from the top of a rusted lawn furniture table and placed over a ruled craft pad I already had. Love it! It's much larger and thicker glass than the common glass craft mats sold. I recommend switching to glass, but only if it's not a skimpy piece. I also own a metal craft station platform and a silicone mat (Generic ones on Amazon are much cheaper.) but just don't use them a lot.
While I can't say for certain, I am reasonably sure that magnetic sheets under anything but a very thin layer wouldn't work well, if at all. They just aren't that strong a magnet.
I also have a glass craft mat, which I get out on occasion, but mine is not magnetic. I do especially like it for making backgrounds using Pixie Powders.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2023, 03:43 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I saved my Slice glass cutting mat. I am so glad that I did. I have the Scrapbook mat resting on it for stencils and stamping. It cleans beautifully with a spray of water. I find this works better for me than a magnetic mat. The card stock stays in place when stamping or stenciling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2023, 04:56 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought the black Tonic Tim Holtz 24" x 14" glass mat when it first came out and use it everyday. My workspace is actually a glass-topped office desk that I used to create on so I knew I'd like the glass mat surface. I use it for everything but, if I was doing it again, I'd probably get a white glass mat. I use the Wendy Vecchi Make Art Stay-tion if I need to use magnets to hold anything. What I find that I reach for more than anything when I'm stenciling are the sticky mats that so many companies now offer. I have at least 3 different brands including the set that fit into my standard size MISTI. When I'm working on the glass mat I often pull one of the extra sticky mats out of the folder on my desktop and use it on the glass mat. It's lightweight and doesn't take up a lot of space. I can pick it up, even in the middle of the project, and set it aside if I need to work on something else. JMO, but I don't see that I'd need the magnetic mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Bravesfan Linda:
ChrisO (07-26-2023), fl_beachbum (07-30-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 10:01 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 137 Likes on 125 Posts

I have the Tim Holtz glass mat by Tonic and love it. It is not magnetic, but I don't feel the need for a magnetic surface when working.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2023, 01:11 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post

Actually, if I understand it correctly, the magnetic glass mats, like Glassboard Studio's, have metal either in the mat itself or on the underside, so the magnetic pieces (I know GS's look like Sorry game pieces) stick to the metal. The mat itself is not actually magnetic. If I'm wrong about that (I don't own one, so I am not speaking from personal experience/knowledge) anyone can feel free to correct me. But no, magnetic die storage sheets under glass won't work in any case. They're just not strong enough. Hope this helps!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Bravesfan Linda (07-26-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 10:56 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

Yes, you're right, Andrea. It's a glass mat with metal on the back. You use Neodymium type magnets with it to hold your project. The metal would have to be a type that is iron-based, so the magnets would stick.

I'm curious if a glass mat over my Wendy Vecchi Metal art station would work with the neodymium magnets. Something to test!

ETA... Just put my EK Success glass mat on top of my Wendy Vecchi mat and tried my neodymium magnets with that combo. Works like a charm!

You can get those magnets at Home Depot or Amazon. Cheaper at the Depot.

Wendy Vecchi magnets do not hold thru the glass. They're not strong enough.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 07-28-2023 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: test results
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by fionna51:
browpr (08-01-2023), fl_beachbum (07-30-2023), harvestmoon (11-05-2023), lovinpaper (07-29-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 11:10 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

Just for everyone who's talking about magnets UNDER the glass...
No, it is just a plain piece of metal that is under the glass, not anything magnetic like vent covers or something like that. A piece of steel, or SOME stainless steels, galvanized steel, etc will all be attracted by the magnets.

The rare earth (neodymium) magnets are the key to this tool. They are attracted to the (iron-based) metal sheet on the back of the glass. And they hold like crazy!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 07-28-2023 at 11:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by fionna51:
Here and There (08-01-2023), whim6915 (07-28-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 06:38 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all your input. I ended up buying the We R Memory Keepers 18x24 non magnetic glass mat. I love it so far and my desk looks and feels so clean compared to what I used before. I had a Michaels coupon that made it even less than their current sale price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2023, 11:48 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still don't get exactly what you use a glass cutting mat for. I only make cards. I just bought a glass cutting board and don't really understand how I would use it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2023, 04:10 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidsmusic6789View Post
I still don't get exactly what you use a glass cutting mat for. I only make cards. I just bought a glass cutting board and don't really understand how I would use it. Thanks
It can be used as a work surface, especially for messy techniques, because it cleans up easily. Here's an intro video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCZQ...NzIG1hdA%3D%3D

Reply With Quote Likes
whim6915 (09-30-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 04:25 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I saved my cutting board from the Slice machine by Making Memories. I am so glad that did. It has been a godsend for me to use. Everyone has their own preference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2023, 02:38 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 490 Likes on 308 Posts

On the subject of glass mats......I am on my third one......started with a smaller We R one and liked it but it didn't have enough space for when I wanted to smoosch or use distress inks for coloring...so enter the larger Tim Holtz black one....used it for three years....replaced it with one the same size but clear --reason....I was not able to see when I had ink spread on the black and ruined several complicated cards because of that. So purchased the clear(er) one and am back to being a totally happy clam.......Generally I don't buy items like this but as I have continued to use it my wasted paper, scrap paper, and paper towels are all not disappearing and causing the trash can to need emptied everytime I craft...Keep a microfiber washcloth and spray bottle handy and swipe and wipe for a new clean surface.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes