Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for the best cardstock...

Dear fellow stampers, I absolutely love using Stampin' Up! cardstock. I think the feel, color, and weight are the best. However, I am wondering what other cardstock is absolutely wonderful. What company does your favorite cardstock come from? What is it's weight and does it come in a variety of colors? I am looking to branch out and learn more about other available cardstock and would appreciate your feedback. Thanks so much.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Hi there -

I moved your thread to a forum where I think it will get more discussion. Welcome to the site, btw! I have some good starter links in my signature and I'm here for help if you need me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

it depends on what you want to do with it.

SU offers the best combination of colors, sizes, ability to match inks and embellishments, and ease of punching.

On the other hand, Papertrey Ink offers a thicker cardstock, harder to punch but makes great bases, the white is outstanding, and the colors are gorgeous. The company is revamping its inks so right now there really isn't matching ink. However, there are beautiful ribbons and felt that matches.

Gina K offers cardstock that is also thicker than SU's, but like PTI it only comes in 8 and 1/2 x 11. Her website has information on colors that coordinate. She has a pure luxury white that is heavy, super smooth and Copics don't bleed through. Her colors are brighter, deeper, IMHO than the other companies.

Hero Arts has a limited set of cardstock and it is white on one side, which makes for a professional looking card. Their inks are chalk inks. I haven't tried them.

Bazzil also offers cardstock but I tend to stick to the other companies so I don't have much to say about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,923 Likes on 2,190 Posts

I have tried other papers, but always come back to SU. I am now beginning to order individual colors, beginning with my favorites. As for white, I buy Georgia Pacific 110 lb white at Walmart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I started out using SU cardstock and I do still us it, but I love using Papertrey Ink cardstock and the nice thing is that there colors are close in color to SU so you can us PTI for the card base and SU for layering. The SU inks can also be used with PTI because of the closeness in colors. PTI does not have as large of a selection of colors as SU but they keep adding to there colors every few months or so. I love Gina K's White cardstock, mainly because I use Copic's and I have found that I like it the best when using Copic's. I thing I would suggest is to get the assorted pkg of cardstock if you can and go from there, there are so many different companies and there are alot of different opinions on which ones to us, so you will have to play around until you find what works the best for your needs. Good luck and have fun exploring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Prism, Hero Arts, Gina K, and SU cardstocks. Love the Hero Arts and Prism the most... the colors are gorgeous and each one comes with a light, medium, and dark version of each color. Love Gina K's base weight for card bases.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Hero Arts has a limited set of cardstock and it is white on one side, which makes for a professional looking card. Their inks are chalk inks. I haven't tried them.
Hero Arts has three types of ink...

Chalk Inks - love them... nice juicy pads and bright gorgeous colors. They stamp a really nice image, especially on chunky images

Shadow Inks - Nice soft colors... great for backgrounds.

Dye Inks (Hero Hues) - I have only used hte black and white but I liked them so much I just bought one of each.

I have used them all and they are really great inks... especially their chalk inks. The inks all coordinate with their papers.

Last edited by Cinnistew; 12-15-2010 at 06:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gina K Designs Pure Luxury is probably my favorite cardstock - her colors are wonderful, and the paper is amazing!

card stock-pure luxury - Gina K. Designs, LLC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by meaningfulmomentosView Post
Dear fellow stampers, I absolutely love using Stampin' Up! cardstock. I think the feel, color, and weight are the best. However, I am wondering what other cardstock is absolutely wonderful. What company does your favorite cardstock come from? What is it's weight and does it come in a variety of colors? I am looking to branch out and learn more about other available cardstock and would appreciate your feedback. Thanks so much.
When I first ventured into copic marker colouring I sussed out a lot of internet forums in regards to what cardstock was the 'best' for that medium.
Quite a few were mentioned but most prominently was the Gina K Designs Pure Luxury 120lb cardstock. so I bought heaps of it. Now, remember, I'm in Australia so cannot get any of this cardstock here, Aussie land is hopeless in this regard.

Along with this Gina K stuff I also purchased One Sheet Wonder and Neenah Classsic Crest Solar White.

Well, after using all of the above I have to say that the Neenah Classic Crest is the absolute best in my opinion and the Gina K is the worst! One Sheet Wonder is apparently endorsed by Copic Design Team members and is OK.

Problem I have is that I really thought the Gina K cardstock would be the best so went 'overboard' in buying it. I now have 70 sheets of the stuff that I really don't want to use. Does anyone want to buy it from me?
Okay, it doesn't bleed through the card but I find it difficult to blend.

I also bought a small amount of blending cardstock (which is what it was described as) on the Scrapbook Boutique website here in Aus and it's ok too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 12:09 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnistewView Post
I use Prism, Hero Arts, Gina K, and SU cardstocks. Love the Hero Arts and Prism the most... the colors are gorgeous and each one comes with a light, medium, and dark version of each color. Love Gina K's base weight for card bases.

Hero Arts has three types of ink...

Chalk Inks - love them... nice juicy pads and bright gorgeous colors. They stamp a really nice image, especially on chunky images

Shadow Inks - Nice soft colors... great for backgrounds.

Dye Inks (Hero Hues) - I have only used hte black and white but I liked them so much I just bought one of each.

I have used them all and they are really great inks... especially their chalk inks. The inks all coordinate with their papers.
who knew? well, you did! thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I just got some Simply Smooth Cardstock from Discount Cardstock. I love it. You can stamp on it and it allows you to blend really well with your Copic markers.

I have found that I like a variety of textures and colors. PTI and Gina K. don't have textured cardstock. I really like linen and crepe textured cardstock. It die cuts well and makes great card bases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like SU and PTI, but yes SU has more colors to choose from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Your input is so helpful! I feel like I know what direction I should go in and not completely clueless about other cardstock options. Thank you very, very much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

Has to be Gina K Pure Luxury for me! It's the best I've found so far!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2011, 02:36 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Has anyone used Pop Tone Cardstock? How does the weight compare to others?
Reply With Quote Likes