Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-28-2018, 04:53 AM   #41  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Susan, you can just put a dab of paint in the palette wells (spaces) - whatever amount you think you might use. You can always add more. Some palettes have small wells, some larger, some a mix. Some people prefer small trays (no wells) as palettes. The palette just holds your paint for you, and is where you can blend colors - it doesn’t determine quantity.

There’s no curing or sit time. The paints are ready to use with water.

When I’m done I put the palette in a zip-lock.

I happen to enjoy paint fresh out of the tube so tend to put small amounts on my palette or tray. It depends on color too. If I know I’m going to use a ton of green and just a tiny bit of blue, then more green is plopped on and less blue.

Enjoy!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2018, 05:38 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for your quick reply, bjeans! :-)
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2018, 04:01 AM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
You’re not just a color junkie. You’re a tried and true double whammy color and watercoloring junkie. So you can run but cannot hide... ;)
I love them! Just finished trying them out after I finished the swatches. I got carried away with the spatters!
QOR Watercolor Card
Thanks for enabling me !
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #44  
Gallery Gazer

I’m so glad, Anne! (Well, not really. I was hoping you’d hate them so much you’d want to send them far away... ;))

And your card is just beautiful! That’s not a stamp, is it - you painted it? And “carried away” and “spatters” do not belong in the same sentence.

(And thank you for making me smile - the news has had me in tears, and it was time for a smile and some air!)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2018, 02:19 AM   #45  
Stampin' Fool

Default The Cat Did It!

Quote:

I’m so glad, Anne! (Well, not really. I was hoping you’d hate them so much you’d want to send them far away... ;))

And your card is just beautiful! That’s not a stamp, is it - you painted it? And “carried away” and “spatters” do not belong in the same sentence.

(And thank you for making me smile - the news has had me in tears, and it was time for a smile and some air!)

Beth
It is a stamp from Penny Black’s Brushtroke line, it’s called Bundled Up. They’re basically a shadow type stamp, so I don’t see how they could be used without a brush and color medium. She has some beautiful stamps that are perfect for honing ones watercolor skill. I think you would like them!
The overboard spatters are Taffy’s fault, my cutie cat. She loves to get right in the middle of my creative endeavors ! I had misplaced my child toothbrush and was in the process of heating and bending the handle on a new one, and made the mistake of being at the sink to try it out. My cats are spoiled and love water out of the faucet, and she was impatiently wanting me to cave and turn it on. In short, the excessive spatters are the cat’s fault!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2018, 03:26 AM   #46  
Gallery Gazer

I have some lovely sketchy stamps, though sometimes make the background the star and just use the stamps as is, background showing through. Lately I’ve played with some soft alcohol ink backgrounds and Lift-Ink for that look.

I read your post in the email notification. How one sentence appeared in the email: “They’re basically a shawuws type stamp...” I even googled “shawuws” in case it was an acronym! :shock:

Our last cat standing was the same way about vanity faucet water. (We purchased fountain cat water bowls, but the water bubbling up instead of coming down like a faucet, wasn’t as appealing.) At 17.5 she can no longer jump up, and had seemingly forgotten about it. Suddenly last week she remembered. Now I have to lift her up to the vanity so she can interrupt what I am doing. Not that she’s spoiled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2018, 03:42 AM   #47  
Gallery Gazer

Anne, something similar to the Penny Black video (link below) has been fun too, but instead of using Zig Clean Color Real Brushes or Tombo Dual Brush pens, using Gelatos for the outlines.

What’s different/cool is after Gelatos dry they don’t reactivate with water. So the outline on the stamp can be colored with Gelatos, spritzed, stamped, and dried. Then watercolors or markers can be used on the paper (not the stamp), to fill in petals or leaves, for example.

It’s a very sketchy, loose look, done in a card technique class I took a few years ago.

Featuring Brushstroke Stamps, Day 3 | The Penny Black Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2018, 06:02 AM   #48  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Anne, something similar to the Penny Black video (link below) has been fun too, but instead of using Zig Clean Color Real Brushes or Tombo Dual Brush pens, using Gelatos for the outlines.

What’s different/cool is after Gelatos dry they don’t reactivate with water. So the outline on the stamp can be colored with Gelatos, spritzed, stamped, and dried. Then watercolors or markers can be used on the paper (not the stamp), to fill in petals or leaves, for example.

It’s a very sketchy, loose look, done in a card technique class I took a few years ago.

Featuring Brushstroke Stamps, Day 3 | The Penny Black Blog
I’ve not used my Gelatos lately, even forgot I had them, need to dig them out now. I was distracted while viewing the video, and plan on watching it in its entirety later. I really like the stamp, pretty results! BTW “shawuws”, my precious Taffy up to no good again???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2018, 06:10 AM   #49  
Gallery Gazer

“Shadow” was correct in your post, which hadn’t been edited. “shawuws” was only in the email, so for once a cat is innocent!

I love Gelatos but haven’t used them in a very long time. It’s time.

Real problem: wanting to do so many different things that I get deer-in-the-headlights and do none of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2018, 06:50 PM   #50  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

I have so many PB brushstroke stamps, watched so many videos; STILL intimated! But I intend to overcome that!

To the OP, my favorite watercolor card was done with Distress reinkers. Someone mentioned that reinkers separate into different colors, and while that's true of most reinkers, that's not the case with Distress reinkers. I'm not sure if Distress Oxide reinkers would work for watercoloring; they're more opaque and oxidize when splattered with water. But anything's worth a try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2018, 05:20 AM   #51  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
I love them! Just finished trying them out after I finished the swatches. I got carried away with the spatters!
QOR Watercolor Card
Thanks for enabling me !

A favorite sketcher/watercolorer, Lisa Spangler, just did a post with a chart (can enlarge in pdf format) with a 6-color set of QoRs:

QoR Watercolors – sideoats & scribbles

Interesting comment about QoR outdoors in Texas heat.

She also makes her own watercolors, and her nature sketches are amazing. She and I were both in an on-line sketch/watercolor class way back when, but she could have taught it too. (She also does stamping, etc. on cards for different companies.)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2018, 07:55 PM   #52  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
So here's my question for those of you who have bought into so many (new) coloring mediums in the past. Do you think these are worth it? Are they different enough to make taking the plunge worthwhile? And do they have staying power?

**OR, will our reinkers do just as well?**

Kinda hoping the consensus says just use the reinkers if you have them. Would save a few bucks to avoid these.

Would love to hear your well-seasoned thoughts. ;)

I decided to go with Dr. Ph Martins' India Inks. I luv watercolor and mixed media, I want vibrant permanet color. Derwent Inktense is my choice watercolors for that reason. The inks can be used as watercolors, sprays, alcohol and much more.
I'm looking forward to working with these.
https://youtu.be/8w__KjnYh5M
https://youtu.be/AcTL8FIecQE
Reply With Quote Likes