Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-06-2018, 06:36 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Liquid Water Colors vs. Reinkers

As you know, several companies (PinkFresh, Hero Arts, Avery Elle to name a few) have come out with their own line of liquid water colors. I love looking at the exciting colors online and been tempted to buy; the colors are great. I'm sure they're a fine product and do what they say, yet... another color medium, ya know?

Yeah, you with the: pans, pads, markers, gels, pens, paints (in all its many forms), stains, chalks, crayons, etc., - yah, you know. It's another coloring medium. one more to store, one more to forget you have, etc.

So here's my question for those of you who have bought into so many (new) coloring mediums in the past. Do you think these are worth it? Are they different enough to make taking the plunge worthwhile? And do they have staying power?

**OR, will our reinkers do just as well?**

Kinda hoping the consensus says just use the reinkers if you have them. Would save a few bucks to avoid these.

Would love to hear your well-seasoned thoughts. ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 06:53 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

One consideration that comes into play is lightfastness. Reinkers are more likely to fade than watercolors. Of course, that's a general statement that can potentially be inaccurate, depending on the quality of the watercolors. You might want to see if you can find technical data or have others weigh in who are more "in the know" before making a decision...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 08:37 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dr PH Martin has two grades of liquid watercolor, Hydrus and Radiant. The Hydrus is made from pigments and the Radiant is dye based. The Hydrus is lightfast. I have a few of the Hydrus. I guess for me the nice thing is that one drop of liquid watercolor is always the same intensity. As a beginning watercolorist that’s helpful for mixing sometimes. They are not very portable like a little watercolor pallet. I think illustrators use them. I haven’t bought a large number of them. I tend to buy tube watercolor and dry it in pans in a pallet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 10:31 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you, thank you both. Your perspective helped immensely.

I am just a cardmaker, not an artist, not a watercolorist, nor even a CARD MAKER (like some of those who make spectacular creations). "Just a card maker" describes me well. With that in mind, you showed me that I do not need these, at least for now. I only make cards and don't expect them to be around long enough for fading to be a problem or for them to be so nice that someone might be tempted to frame them, LOL.

Every tool has its purpose; thanks for helping me see the liquid w.c.s properly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 02:08 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

And then there is gel. :shock: They're actually my favorites now, but kind of expensive: QoR. They're highly pigmented and so so clear, and mix like buttah. I was sure I would not get them before taking a watercolor class where they were used, but of course fell in love with them and bought a set. They also come in individual tubes.

On the other hand, I still adore and get such a kick out of the $6.00 36-color Art Loft set at Michaels, and bought a set for the instructor who taught us with QoR. She's an artist and designer yet even she was surprised at their vibrancy and said she'd absolutely use them when traveling, etc. Of course she could have been being diplomatic, but there are tons of "real" artists who enjoy them - not for serious projects that need to be lightfast, but for fun stuff. And they mix so well. In fact a couple of students who were friends remarked they knew a serious artist who talked about them.

I have other watercolors, some supposedly quite nice, but will probably sell or donate them since it's QoR or Art Loft now. The prince and the pauper. ;)

I'm not an artist either, just like making backgrounds and cards and stuff, but some products are more fun to use than others, or make the process easier. But it's so individual.

BTW, your cards are lovely, though no new ones for a while (!), so maybe consider deleting the "just" from your *Card Maker* title!

Last edited by bjeans; 10-06-2018 at 06:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2018, 02:16 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am an illustrator and I do by liquid watercolors. Archival, lightfast, fade resistant you would need to buy higher end liquid watercolors. Remember watercolors do fade more often than other painting mediums such as acrylic or oil. The paper's archival quality you use is part of the equation too. The binding agents used to make the watercolors is also a huge factor.

Not being snobby, this is more of an art opinion. The stamp companies are releasing what I would consider a craft range of liquid watercolors so the archival quality would need to be looked into per company. The quality will not be as high end because craft companies need to reach to the masses while high end art supplies have a different base of customers looking for specialty.

IMO they would not be worth it to me because I already have sets that I have invested in. If you are a new beginner wanting to learn the world of liquid art colors then I would encourage those in the market to buy a few favorite colors and play. You might find you have a real talent or a new love.

I am also thinking that the craft companies probably have a distributor for these watercolors. If you knew who was creating the lines you could buy those lines at a more economical price and then add some of the trendy colors from the stamp companies. I did this one time when I found Derwent was the distributor for SU.

I do buy all grades of art supplies. One of my favorite gel pen sets came from Dollar Tree. I do prefer to buy my coloring tools from reputable art companies and use the stamp companies as trend accessories.

You know a lot of professional artists adore, love and paint professionally with Tim's Distress Ink Reinkers. If you have some of those lying around and you are wanting to study watercolor techniques that are trending right now that would be a fun frugal way to play.

I agree with bjeans the Artist Loft set is so beautiful. I think it's the little hidden gem in the watercolor world. I adore my set.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2018, 09:46 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I am an illustrator and I do by liquid watercolors. Archival, lightfast, fade resistant you would need to buy higher end liquid watercolors. Remember watercolors do fade more often than other painting mediums such as acrylic or oil. The paper's archival quality you use is part of the equation too. The binding agents used to make the watercolors is also a huge factor.

Not being snobby, this is more of an art opinion. The stamp companies are releasing what I would consider a craft range of liquid watercolors so the archival quality would need to be looked into per company. The quality will not be as high end because craft companies need to reach to the masses while high end art supplies have a different base of customers looking for specialty.

IMO they would not be worth it to me because I already have sets that I have invested in. If you are a new beginner wanting to learn the world of liquid art colors then I would encourage those in the market to buy a few favorite colors and play. You might find you have a real talent or a new love.

I am also thinking that the craft companies probably have a distributor for these watercolors. If you knew who was creating the lines you could buy those lines at a more economical price and then add some of the trendy colors from the stamp companies. I did this one time when I found Derwent was the distributor for SU.

I do buy all grades of art supplies. One of my favorite gel pen sets came from Dollar Tree. I do prefer to buy my coloring tools from reputable art companies and use the stamp companies as trend accessories.

You know a lot of professional artists adore, love and paint professionally with Tim's Distress Ink Reinkers. If you have some of those lying around and you are wanting to study watercolor techniques that are trending right now that would be a fun frugal way to play.

I agree with bjeans the Artist Loft set is so beautiful. I think it's the little hidden gem in the watercolor world. I adore my set.
Do you have a preferred brand(s) of liquid watercolor? Also, good tip about the Distress reinkers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Btw, the owner of a local art supply store and the instructor/designer who taught using QoR, said it’s their favorite watercolor paint. Both are degreed artists with decades of experience. And they both still love and use other paints.

I’m not an artist but have tried so many sets, and haven’t seen such crystal clear clean colors. But it’s personal preference.

Artist’s Loft was because class supplies, including Koi, were delayed, and that instructor suggested we get the 36-color set at Michael’s while waiting.

I also have some handmade watercolors by a seller on Etsy, especially some metallics, and they’re fun to mix in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 496 Likes on 164 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Btw, the owner of a local art supply store and the instructor/designer who taught using QoR, said it’s their favorite watercolor paint. Both are degreed artists with decades of experience. And they both still love and use other paints.

I’m not an artist but have tried so many sets, and haven’t seen such crystal clear clean colors. But it’s personal preference.

Artist’s Loft was because class supplies, including Koi, were delayed, and that instructor suggested we get the 36-color set at Michael’s while waiting.

I also have some handmade watercolors by a seller on Etsy, especially some metallics, and they’re fun to mix in.
Are the Michael’s Artist Loft paints that are being suggested the one that are in tube or pan form?

Last edited by ChrisO; 10-07-2018 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2018, 01:46 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

I’m not sure what tubs are but Michaels are in pans. $5.00 again, not $6.00. Amazon has them too for a few bucks more if someone isn’t near a Michaels. So pretty! The lid is super for mixing too, 36 little indentations.

Artist's Loft? Fundamentals? Watercolor Pan Set
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Over the 18 years that I have been stamping, collecting, and organizing I must admit I had just about coloring medium offered: chalk sets, dye markers, h20 crayons, colored pencils, alcohol markers, pearl pots, pastes, etc...and I got rid of the majority of it during my last two moves in 3 years. I wasted soooo much money. it's embarassing to say, but true.

Lately, I've been tempted to try liquid watercolor brush pens since they seem to be the latest product craze. But I decided NOT to dive in.
I like working with watercolors and pigment powders.
I kept my Derwent, Peerless, and Brusho watercolor sets
I believe I can mix my own using Brushos (powdered pigment) and re-inkers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2018, 10:19 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

maryalena- Look at Dr. Ph. Martin's Hydrus line. I think this is a good higher end starter set. If you are good at color mixing you can mix those beautiful trend colors that are hot right now. The sets might look very gulp expensive. They are a frugal purchase in the long run. I hope that helps.

Again agreeing with bjeans about Artist Loft. It is the pan form we are both talking about. Don't overlook those little tubes either. They are really nice. I bought a set for fun. I really like them. That pan set OHHHHHH it is the bestest. Hidden beautiful gem in the watercoloring world.

I remember the first time I played with them I didn't have any expectations. I was like "WOW!" I kept peeking at the pan thinking Michael's made a pricing error and sold me an expensive set for $5. I got mine less than five because we could use coupons on those sets a few years ago.

bjeans- I am glad you brought up homemade watercolors. I almost suggested that last night. I do make my own watercolors. I am so hardcore I have even made watercolor paints from flowers. I haven't done that in many years. I love to make metallics from mica powders.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2018, 10:52 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

This is good advice.
I'd wager most of these craft companies are NOT making their own paint, just licensing 'white label' products, slapping their brand on it, and selling. If you truly want quality water colours, go with an established art brand that has good documentation on its lightfastness and pigmentation.

That said, your average crafter isn't going to get their money's worth out of yet another style of watercolour if they already have one (or more!) Go with one of the recommended hobbyist sets if you really want them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 03:48 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
As you know, several companies (PinkFresh, Hero Arts, Avery Elle to name a few) have come out with their own line of liquid water colors. I love looking at the exciting colors online and been tempted to buy; the colors are great. I'm sure they're a fine product and do what they say, yet... another color medium, ya know?

Yeah, you with the: pans, pads, markers, gels, pens, paints (in all its many forms), stains, chalks, crayons, etc., - yah, you know. It's another coloring medium. one more to store, one more to forget you have, etc.

So here's my question for those of you who have bought into so many (new) coloring mediums in the past. Do you think these are worth it? Are they different enough to make taking the plunge worthwhile? And do they have staying power?

**OR, will our reinkers do just as well?**

Kinda hoping the consensus says just use the reinkers if you have them. Would save a few bucks to avoid these.

Would love to hear your well-seasoned thoughts. ;)
I totally agree with you. I�ve been tempted by the liquid watercolors, but the many reinkers i have to choose from has stopped me from purchasing. I�ll admit the QOR gel watercolors have actually made it to my cart many times, they sit on wishlists and save til later lists on all my fav online art stores and Amazon. So far cards I�ve made years ago still look good. I wouldn�t know if a painting hung in sunlight would fade or not, but I�m sure my cards aren�t hung on anyone�s wall
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Quote:

maryalena- Look at Dr. Ph. Martin's Hydrus line. I think this is a good higher end starter set. If you are good at color mixing you can mix those beautiful trend colors that are hot right now. The sets might look very gulp expensive. They are a frugal purchase in the long run. I hope that helps.

Again agreeing with bjeans about Artist Loft. It is the pan form we are both talking about. Don't overlook those little tubes either. They are really nice. I bought a set for fun. I really like them. That pan set OHHHHHH it is the bestest. Hidden beautiful gem in the watercoloring world.

I remember the first time I played with them I didn't have any expectations. I was like "WOW!" I kept peeking at the pan thinking Michael's made a pricing error and sold me an expensive set for $5. I got mine less than five because we could use coupons on those sets a few years ago.

bjeans- I am glad you brought up homemade watercolors. I almost suggested that last night. I do make my own watercolors. I am so hardcore I have even made watercolor paints from flowers. I haven't done that in many years. I love to make metallics from mica powders.

Thanks for the Hydrus recommendation. Hoped you would say that since I already have a couple. I can buy them individually at an art store I visit each year on vacation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2018, 03:06 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Ladies, keep in mind Black Friday Sales will soon be here. I'm creating my list and checking it twice.
If I buy any more watercolor medium it will be Dr. PH Martin's Hydrus as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2018, 06:31 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 254 Likes on 137 Posts

binx,
I have long admired the look of watercoloring, but was never taught how to do it---only oils and acrylics in HS. When I first tried watercoloring a stamped image using an aqua brush and the ink "pressed" to the top of my ink pad lid, I was hooked. So easy, so handy, nothing new to buy, and it matches what I've stamped with. I have watercolor crayons and pencils too, but they mostly sit unused in a drawer because the ink pads are already out and right there. They are on cards, so not intended to last forever, but will last as long as any stamped images, so that's good enough for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I seem to be collecting coloring mediums too :-) Nice thing about liquid watercolors (I have all of the primary colors plus black and white in Dr. PH Martin Hydrus) is that you can mix your own colors very easily. They're also fun to drip and splatter and do techniques with in mixed-media pieces. But if you already have some watercolor sets that you enjoy, and only want to create backgrounds or paint stamped images etc. I wouldn't say that craft-level liquid watercolors are a must.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I love the way threads can take on a life of their own; it seems that's where a lot of the really good info is shared. And since this thread took on a slightly different form, I'd like to add to that. One "hidden gem" I've found are General's water color pencils (the name Kimberly is also on the label); I bought mine at Hobby Lobby.

Now, I can't speak to any of the attributes a professional/serious artist would want, but I was so surprised at the quality of these when I bought them that I went back to see if they had sets in more colors than 24 I bought. What I like about them is that the colors are wonderful (bright, clear), they're easy to use and creamy (if a pencil can be said to be creamy). They're cheap, cheap, and at least as good as the expensive sets I've bought, at least for my purposes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

BTW, your cards are lovely, though no new ones for a while (!), so maybe consider deleting the "just" from your *Card Maker* title!

LOL. You're too kind, bjeans! Several years ago, I lost the ability to post pix here, don't know what happened. I'd like to think I'm a little better at this hobby of ours now. But I doubt I'll ever be in the league of the superstars (or stars, for that matter).

One thing I'm really good at, however, is pinning! I have thousands of cards saved in appx 20 categories on Pinterest. My username over there is jennifirst, if you're interested in what I've saved as really good cards (thousands, maybe tens of thousands now, mind you).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

And then there is gel. :shock: They're actually my favorites now, but kind of expensive: QoR. They're highly pigmented and so so clear, and mix like buttah. I was sure I would not get them before taking a watercolor class where they were used, but of course fell in love with them and bought a set. They also come in individual tubes.

Okay, bjeans, - you got me sticking my fingers in my ears and closing my eyes now. Gels? So new to me! Water color gels, who knew? They do sound luscious though.

P.S. Sorry I'm posting so much; good info here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Default ok, last post for now

Quote:

lylacfey, so back to my original question. Thanks for this - exactly what I was asking. But now another ? - I know there's a difference between Distress and Distress Oxide inks, do you think this difference extends to painting with the reinkers, or can an amateur proceed with using them as if they are the same?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2018, 12:14 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
lylacfey, so back to my original question. Thanks for this - exactly what I was asking. But now another ? - I know there's a difference between Distress and Distress Oxide inks, do you think this difference extends to painting with the reinkers, or can an amateur proceed with using them as if they are the same?
I am a bit tired tonight. Forgive me if this is a bit dyslexic. More tired I am the more dyslexic.

Distress Inks & Oxides are both different formulas. If you are going to paint with the Oxides they will behave different than the regular DI's. Tim created the Oxide's to be opaque while the DI's are going to be transparent. A good comparison of this would be DI's are watercolors and Oxide's are gouache.

Yes, you can use reinkers the same as watercolors. Of course watercolors are not inks. You can make inks out of them. ;) Many watercolor artists use both interchangeably. I add granulation medium to watercolors and reinkers to make them behave like Distress Inks. There's a little tip for you all. I add glycerin or gum arabic to my reinkers.

Inks, IMO, are easier to work with because they are in what I call a natural state. Watercolors you have to play the mixing game and guessing. Inks are consistent. For example if you want the color of Tim's DI Distress Peacock that is the color you will get. No guesswork. Watercolors you have to mix to get that color and there is a lot of guesswork.

Watercolor is more transparent. Stamping Ink is more transparent that other inks on the market. I suspect the stamp companies add more watercolor to their inks.

Also inks, especially higher end inks, are lightfast. Even high grade watercolors lightfast is not a top quality when producing them. I think that is why DI reinkers are popular with a lot of watercolorists because they behave like watercolors and they are lightfast. That's why I posted earlier you have to check to see which companies provide lightfast because it is always a tricky game.

Side note about another post I saw up here. Gel watercolors???? Couldn't you all just add some aquapasto medium to your watercolors? Is this new gel watercolors something different?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2018, 02:36 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

QoR watercolors are by Golden, and behave like other watercolors. They’re just in a gel form in a tube rather than a dry pan, liquid or powder. They aren’t thick - there are no layers or visible brushstrokes, like you’d get by adding an aquapasto.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2018, 11:27 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Ohhhh bjeans those QoR are sooo beautiful. I haven't seen that new formulation. OMG! Where have I been? ROFL. WOW! I thought this new gel watercolor thingy was a new craft trend. Thank you for sharing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2018, 11:53 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

Quote:

Inks, IMO, are easier to work with because they are in what I call a natural state. Watercolors you have to play the mixing game and guessing. Inks are consistent. For example if you want the color of Tim's DI Distress Peacock that is the color you will get. No guesswork. Watercolors you have to mix to get that color and there is a lot of guesswork.

See, this is something that always baffled me. Winsor & Newton have 40 colours in their Cotman range but more than twice as many in their - they seem to have rebranded it as Professional Water Colour and I could have sworn there were even more colours when I knew it as Artists' Water Colour - and the gouache range which was originally geared towards high end graphics (film studios used it) has over 80. I used to feel that was the wrong way round, that amateurs needed more pre-mixed colours because it was harder for them to mix their own. It's certainly harder for me ;-). (Same thing with their oil and acrylic ranges.) Well, I guess I still feel like that. I've also been bemused by the apparent higher popularity of pan watercolour in the craft industry because when I worked in fine art supplies, tubes outsold pans by many miles across both Cotman and Professional ranges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2018, 03:45 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Ohhhh bjeans those QoR are sooo beautiful. I haven't seen that new formulation. OMG! Where have I been? ROFL. WOW! I thought this new gel watercolor thingy was a new craft trend. Thank you for sharing.

Where have you been? Working, making art, being super busy?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2018, 06:26 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

lylacfey, thank you so much for your informational and clear explanation (post #23). Much more than I'd hoped for. You're the type of teacher (whether intended or no) that I'd like to take a class from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #29  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Watercolor in a tube is standard. They aren't really a gel - they are pigment mixed with a binder. Out of a tube they are wet, if you squeeze them into pans they cure, and pans are often sold cured.

Binders differ from brand to brand - some are synthetic - M. Graham uses honey, etc.

The binder determines the rewetting properties.

QOR is a student grade watercolor - Daniel Smith, M. Graham and others are artist grade pigments. Some pigments are naturally derived, some are synthetic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Watercolor in a tube is standard. They aren't really a gel - they are pigment mixed with a binder. Out of a tube they are wet, if you squeeze them into pans they cure, and pans are often sold cured.

Binders differ from brand to brand - some are synthetic - M. Graham uses honey, etc.

The binder determines the rewetting properties.

QOR is a student grade watercolor - Daniel Smith, M. Graham and others are artist grade pigments. Some pigments are naturally derived, some are synthetic.
QoR is actually professional aka artist grade, not student grade - though students can certainly use them! They�re made by Golden.

Professional/Artist Watercolors - Art Supplies at BLICK art materials - Art Supply Store

Interestingly, both of the professional artists I know who use them called them a gel, though of course you�re right - it�s the binder, and tubes are standard.

One review about them - and she does other reviews of parofessional grade paints - and mentions the Frugal Crafter too.
Doodlewash� ~ DOODLEWASH REVIEW: QoR Watercolors

I�m not saying they�re better than other artist grade paints - there are many wonderful ones. They�re just my favorite - along with Michaels Art Loft! :shock: (I could not get comfortable with Koi or Kuretaki Tambi, btw, though occasionally like Peerless.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #31  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

QoR is actually professional aka artist grade, not student grade - though students can certainly use them! They�re made by Golden.

Professional/Artist Watercolors - Art Supplies at BLICK art materials - Art Supply Store

Interestingly, both of the professional artists I know who use them called them a gel, though of course you�re right - it�s the binder, and tubes are standard.

One review about them - and she does other reviews of parofessional grade paints - and mentions the Frugal Crafter too.
Doodlewash� ~ DOODLEWASH REVIEW: QoR Watercolors

I�m not saying they�re better than other artist grade paints - there are many wonderful ones. They�re just my favorite - along with Michaels Art Loft! :shock: (I could not get comfortable with Koi or Kuretaki Tambi, btw, though occasionally like Peerless.)
I'm a purist. They use a super non-traditional binder (Aquazol) and they don't cure well to pan. They also haven't released lightfastness data on a lot of their pigments, so they behave very differently from true artist grade watercolors. I like to test myself I do like Koi - those are where I started.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Interesting - I hadn�t thought of the purist angle. The two degreed artists who said QoR is their favorite have both been painting for decades, and the new binder was mentioned as a positive. One of the them - who also owns an artists supply store and sells quite a few brands of professional paints - said the first painting she did with QoR several years ago looks as brilliant as the day she painted it. The other artist is Kristen Powers, who taught the day-long watercolor class.

There�s been a bit of pushback about QoR by some traditionalists - change isn�t always embraced, which is fine.

The marketing is a bit much - but whether someone loves or dismisses them, they're categorized as artist grade/professional.

So many people love Koi to start with - or to stick with. It�s definitely me, not the paints, but they aren�t a good fit. Paints, blue jeans, very personal choices.

ETA I gave Kae Pea a set of Artist Loft watercolors. :shock:

Last edited by bjeans; 10-17-2018 at 08:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldn�t sub reinkers. They often �fracture� into several colours or change colour all together. And as mentioned, they aren�t lightfast, not only that but they can fade into odd colours like purple turning grey.

But I�ve got the Dr Ph Martins liquid watercolours and I don�t love them. They are supposed to be artist quality but I don�t think they are. I�d buy professional watercolours, Daniel Smith specifically, ANY DAY, before I�d invest in liquid colours. Maybe some liquid colours are different but I find they don�t rewet well. I�m not accurate enough only dole out the exact perfect amount for my project and I refuse to waste product.

All tube watercolours I�ve used rewet perfectly no matter how long they�ve been dried, even student grade Windsor and Newton Cotman colours. I�ve also got Holbein, W&N pro, Van Gogh and a couple others. They are all great. Get on art stores� mailing lists and wait for a great sale. I got amazing prices on Daniel Smith this way.

Tube watercolours are also more concentrated than liquid colours so you get more for your money. I know the liquids are concentrated but not as much. If you can�t afford really good tube paint, at least use Cotman or similar. They aren�t as pigmented as artist quality but they still work really well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2018, 06:59 AM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I'm a purist. They use a super non-traditional binder (Aquazol) and they don't cure well to pan. They also haven't released lightfastness data on a lot of their pigments, so they behave very differently from true artist grade watercolors. I like to test myself I do like Koi - those are where I started.
I�ve had the QOR�s in and out of my basket too many times to count. I�ve read many reviews both positive and negative. I really don�t need anymore watercolors, probably have more than I�ll use in my lifetime. That�s a morbid thought right? I�m not handling this 70 thing well! Can you believe my auto insurance went up just because of that, I�m royally ticked off!!! Sorry, I digress. I certainly wouldn�t want to wager any bets on my ability to resist trying out at least the High Chroma set!

Last edited by Annecards; 10-17-2018 at 07:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2018, 08:09 AM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

Not to try to enable, and my experience pales in comparison to yours, Anne, but (ha) everyone in my watercolor class fell in love with QoR, though a couple took time to get used to it, given so much experience with other paints.

A theory: that with every material, medium, method in every field, when something different or new pops up, there's a reaction - from always excited trend seekers to hopefuls to skeptics to negative naysayers. Plus we're used to what we're used to, which has an effect. Just my take.

One idea would be to get the smallest set with the smaller tubes, or a few regular sized tubes. (And maybe you'd hate them and send them to me! ;)) My art supply store carries tubes - but also hands out free dot cards, and we got one in class, though worked from tubes. The dots felt different, though maybe that was my imagination and noviceness.

Green Gold stole my heart though greeny yellows are generally not my cuppa.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2018, 01:34 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Cook22- You are correct W&N did have more colors in their line before they changed their name. I still have some. I am glad watercolors in tubes stay good for ages because I am a little hoardey with those colors since they are not made any more, least to my knowledge.

Trust me I am baffled by all the pan watercolors out too. I always buy in tubes. I think there are so many weird art supplies in the crafting industry that make no sense.

bjeans- Where have I been? Working on new art. I finally get to work on my art full time. It is such a beautiful luxury. I can't show anything yet because it's gaming. :( They put us under strict rules when working on games.

I still love those QoR's. I think it is so amazing that Golden got into the watercolor game. I love the idea of a polymer binder. I have been researching the paints. I loved this review from John Salminen for Artist's Network- John Salminen and Golden Watercolors: Road Test - Artists Network

I am a bit of a purist too. I also think you need to play with new formulations. Look at Distress Oxide's. I think a polymer binder will have wonderful applications in the watercolor world. Just give it five years some stamper will do something amazing with them and they will be all the trend. ;)

I have never used Koi. I am honestly a bit of a snob about nice paints. I do use W&N. My lovely favorites are Sennelier. I am frugal but I will buy expensive luxury to have it a long time.

One of my friends "stalks" me on my forums. She said I need to stop hiding my art side when I am on craft forums. She said I need to show my art snob, lol. This is for her. I do hide it because my work is sexy and a bit violent, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2018, 06:04 AM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

DeeAnn, absolutely do not keep your art side under wraps. There’s overlap between art and craft - and much debate! - and another perspective is always a good thing (nod to to Martha).

I used to make kiln-formed glass bowls, small wall hangings, etc., and participated in a fused glass forum. There was debate - some targeted and mean - about art vs. craft. It’s an age old debate. It affected some of us, since craft was a four-letter word. It took a while before I could happily say I’m a paper crafter.

But even in that community there was agreement that the line was blurred. And here civility reigns, so definitely let your artist out!

And back to watercolors - I like QoR the best - and a few handmade ones - but someone would have to hold me up at gunpoint to pry my cheapy Art Loft pan watercolors out of my hands!

And congratulations on doing art full time, amazing!

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Not to try to enable, and my experience pales in comparison to yours, Anne, but (ha) everyone in my watercolor class fell in love with QoR, though a couple took time to get used to it, given so much experience with other paints.

A theory: that with every material, medium, method in every field, when something different or new pops up, there's a reaction - from always excited trend seekers to hopefuls to skeptics to negative naysayers. Plus we're used to what we're used to, which has an effect. Just my take.

One idea would be to get the smallest set with the smaller tubes, or a few regular sized tubes. (And maybe you'd hate them and send them to me! ;)) My art supply store carries tubes - but also hands out free dot cards, and we got one in class, though worked from tubes. The dots felt different, though maybe that was my imagination and noviceness.

Green Gold stole my heart though greeny yellows are generally not my cuppa.
I knew this would happen being a color junkie n all. Thanks to bjeans combined with watching tons of reviews they’re on the way to my crafty abode. I was especially sold on their tendency to flow so beautifully, they do look magical.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2018, 07:00 AM   #39  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
I knew this would happen being a color junkie n all. Thanks to bjeans combined with watching tons of reviews they’re on the way to my crafty abode. I was especially sold on their tendency to flow so beautifully, they do look magical.

You’re not just a color junkie. You’re a tried and true double whammy color and watercoloring junkie. So you can run but cannot hide... ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Okay, this is a beginning watercolor question for someone who uses tube watercolors. 2.5. years ago, I was enabled by someone here or on YouTube (can't remember who) to buy the Mission Gold set of 36 tubes of watercolor. There's a palette with it, but I've never used any of it, and if I want to squeeze the watercolor into the palette, do I fill the WHOLE little space in the palette for each color, and how long do I let it "cure" or sit before I use them? Is it important to let them dry out after using, or do you want to close it up right away? I've used the Koi Field Set and the Kuretake Gansai Tambi (or however you say those and whatever order they're in), but haven't used anything that's not already in a pan.

Thanks for any advice! :-)
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes