Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Layer Ease/Magic Matter

Do any of you own either of these, and if so, do you like them? I would like to be able to cut even mats for odd shapes, and I'm just not great at freehanding it. Would appreciate your advice.

Does SU still sell the Layer Ease? I wonder if the Magic Matter is sold at Joann's or Michaels (actual store, not online)? Anybody?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 02:37 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this and it has never been opened. Sad, but true. LOL Sorry I cannot tell you how it works!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 06:32 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both. I was given Layer Ease as a gift but it wasn't quit what I thought it was going to be. It is a well made cutting tool for someone who doesn't have a good paper trimmer or would rather use an exacto to trim layers. But I can't see it being good for odd shaped pieces. Magic Matter is a good tool for matting odd shaped peices. It takes a little patience. I place my piece face down cause my pencil always seems to slip a bit so any extra pencil marks will be on the back of the mat.

Pablo Picasso
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Has anybody seen the Magic Matter in a store anywhere? I hate paying shipping if I don't have to, and I called Joann and Michaels, and they don't carry it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 08:03 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbertaStampingView Post
I have both. I was given Layer Ease as a gift but it wasn't quit what I thought it was going to be. It is a well made cutting tool for someone who doesn't have a good paper trimmer or would rather use an exacto to trim layers. But I can't see it being good for odd shaped pieces. Magic Matter is a good tool for matting odd shaped peices. It takes a little patience. I place my piece face down cause my pencil always seems to slip a bit so any extra pencil marks will be on the back of the mat.
Hi. The Layer Ease I'm talking about does not cut, it only traces. We must be talking about two different things. It looks pretty much identical to the Magic Matter as far as I can tell. I may give it a try. It's a lot less expensive than the Layer Ease.

Thanks for the input!

Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I have the Magic Matter and use is for odd or curved shapes. It's great for that. For straight-edged shapes, I use Perfect Layers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Ah, your right. It's Perfect Layers I have.

Pablo Picasso
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I have the Magic Matters that I bought years ago when I first stated scrapbooking. I used it all the time until I got the Perfect Layer, which I love and use all tht time when I scrapbook. I haven't used the Magic Matter as much but keep it handy for odd shaped pieces. The set that I have has 4 disc in it, now I think they only sell 3 disc..... If you cut aonly straight shapes then the Perfect Layer (rulers) are a must. MHO

Estelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamahoweView Post
I have the Magic Matters that I bought years ago when I first stated scrapbooking. I used it all the time until I got the Perfect Layer, which I love and use all tht time when I scrapbook. I haven't used the Magic Matter as much but keep it handy for odd shaped pieces. The set that I have has 4 disc in it, now I think they only sell 3 disc..... If you cut aonly straight shapes then the Perfect Layer (rulers) are a must. MHO

Estelle
Yep, I have the Perfect Layers and love it! But I need something for irregularly shaped objects. Of course, then you still have to cut around the lines, which can be a trick in and of itself. I need to quit trying to be so perfect about everything and just enjoy myself more. Part of the charm of a handmade card is that it is NOT perfect and looking mass produced, right? So what if the mat is not perfect! I should just freehand the thing and forget needing a new tool, which would end up like a lot of them.....in a drawer never getting used because it is too much of a hassle.

Sorry for the sermon, everybody. It was to myself though! I really want to start using what I have more and stop with the "needing" something else all the time.

Sandy

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a tool like the Magic Matters and it is useless. I could never stop the disk part from sliding onto the paper shape .
I use a school compass. One leg is a metal stylus and the other has lead in a holder. Close the compass as much as possible. The lead and the stylus will meet. Then run the metal stylus along the edge of the shape you want to trace and the lead will trace the exact shape only larger . You can get a cheap compass at Walmart in the school supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I have a tool like the Magic Matters and it is useless. I could never stop the disk part from sliding onto the paper shape .
I use a school compass. One leg is a metal stylus and the other has lead in a holder. Close the compass as much as possible. The lead and the stylus will meet. Then run the metal stylus along the edge of the shape you want to trace and the lead will trace the exact shape only larger . You can get a cheap compass at Walmart in the school supplies.
Barbara, this is genius. I was thinking along the exact same lines today when I was trying to make my own Magic Matter using a small washer. It kept doing exactly what you described, and I said to myself that I really don't know how it could work right, even if I bought the real thing. I thought about something similar to a compass, so I am so happy you said that! Thanks! Now I won't be buying something else I won't use (I'm good at that).

Have a great night,

Sandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Another thing that will work is use two yellow pencils ( with hexagon barrels ) and rubber band them together. You need to use pencils that have hexagon barrels, because round barrels don't stay together perfectly. The only issue with this is both pencils leave a mark and you will need to erase the marks on your original shape. The second mark will be cut off when you cut out the larger shape

I got this idea from a quilting tool I saw. It is a holder that holds two pencils. The pencils are exactly 1/4" apart . I decided to try using two regular pencils and rubber banding them together before I spent the money on the one in the quilting store .

Needless to say I never bought the fancy one from the store. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Another thing that will work is use two yellow pencils ( with hexagon barrels ) and rubber band them together. You need to use pencils that have hexagon barrels, because round barrels don't stay together perfectly. The only issue with this is both pencils leave a mark and you will need to erase the marks on your original shape. The second mark will be cut off when you cut out the larger shape

I got this idea from a quilting tool I saw. It is a holder that holds two pencils. The pencils are exactly 1/4" apart . I decided to try using two regular pencils and rubber banding them together before I spent the money on the one in the quilting store .

Needless to say I never bought the fancy one from the store. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

This message was eaten by the cyber gremlins so I am posting it again.

I just measured my compass when it is totally closed. The distance between the two points is 1/8". With the compass method you can cut out a Nestie labels or any shape and enlarge it as many times as you wish. Just keep retracing until you have the size you want .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2010, 01:51 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Great idea with the two pencils, I need to try that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
The only issue with this is both pencils leave a mark and you will need to erase the marks on your original shape. The second mark will be cut off when you cut out the larger shape
I'm thinking you could stop this if you keep a pencil that's dedicated to being the "inner" for this technique. Dip the tip in something like acrylic paint or gesso and let it dry well. It should form enough of a barrier that you don't get the line drawn on the page. The other option might be to use a completely dried up pen so the nib is still there as the tracing tool but there's no ink coming out (can you still get pens with hexagonal barrels?!).

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2010, 02:06 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

I have the Layer Ease---used to use it quite a bit. I used it to mat photos that had been cut into shapes and such. But....I haven't used it in years---pm me your address and I will give it to you Maybe it will get some new love, LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Several styles of Pilot pens and some of the 10 for $? pens have hexagon barrels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Default 2 pencil holder for quilting question 4 Barbara Kay

Barbara Kay, I once had the tool you talked about in one of your later posts. I lost it and am looking for one again...with no luck.
When did you see the tool and do they still have them.
I would pay you if you could find one for me ...or give me a name and a way to contact the quilt store that has one.
Thank you so much, Barbara Shirley

I just joined and didn't select the 'cardstock collector' , well I do have some and all other things for cardmaking...and quilting

Last edited by Barbara Shirley; 11-09-2010 at 09:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I've also had the Magic Matter since I started scrapping 10 years ago. I happen to think it's a great tool. I often forget that I have it. I really need to take it out and keep in on my desk. If you take your time, you should have no problem getting a nice outline. I've never really had a problem with it. It is still available. I googled it and got a bunch of returns. Here's the first one that came up.

Magic Matter� (7260153000)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't recall where I bought the tracing tools I have , but I did a search and found them.
Both enlarge a shape by 1/4" all the way around
Here is the disk that you put the pencil point into the hole and trace the shape by sliding the disk around the shape. It is near the bottom and called the "Quilters Wonder Wheel"

Quilting Tools & Accessories - Erica's Craft & Sewing Center

Here are the duo pencils called "Seam Tracer"

www.Clotilde.com - Marking Pens

Hope this helps
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #21  
bck
Embossing Fanatic

I don't have Layer Ease, but I do have both Magic Matter and Puzzlemates Quick Cutter (which I like better). Although it's been discontinued, what I like about Puzzlemates Quick Cutter is that it has a grooved edge so it doesn't slip like the Magic Matter does. It is supposed to work with a pen, pencil or swivel knife, but I sometimes have trouble with the swivel knife. It seems nothing is perfect...LOL!

I do love the Perfect Layers for straight edges!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Barbara Jay, thank you so very much for the information. I just ordered the seam tracer, thanks so very, very much, Barb
Reply With Quote Likes