Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you own the ATG can you answer a few questions?

I am on the fence about getting this item. I have searched but could not find an answer to my questions.

1) Is it cumbersome to use because of the size.

2) Is it really more economical to use than smaller, refillable adhesive rollers?

Also if you want to share why you love it please tell me.

Thanks

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I love my ATG gun but have to admit that it is a bit cumbersome. But not so much that you can't get used to it. I feel that I save a lot of money on tape and the ATG tape really sticks!!!! I still always have a small tape runner that I use for very small spots but would recommend the ATG to anyone who wants their cards to stay together and wants to save money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

It took me about a day to get used to the size, and now I don't even notice. Annebarc is right about the adhesive... it really sticks!

I ♥ my ATG gun!
I'm Fun Stampers Journey Coach #10224. Join now for only $50!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I love mine. As stated by the others, it sticks really well and is very economical once you have purchased the ATG. Each roll of tape is 36 yards and costs $3 - $4 depending on how many you purchase at one time and the shipping. The Tombows are only 36 feet (approx) and can cost more than $4 if you don't have a discount or coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by annebarcView Post
I love my ATG gun but have to admit that it is a bit cumbersome. But not so much that you can't get used to it. I feel that I save a lot of money on tape and the ATG tape really sticks!!!! I still always have a small tape runner that I use for very small spots but would recommend the ATG to anyone who wants their cards to stay together and wants to save money.
I agree with this 100%. I had a little trouble getting used to using the tape gun, but now I can't imagine making cards without it. I keep a glue pen and a bottle of Tombow MonoMulti to use for the smaller things I need to attach.

I was the same way about using the Cropadile. It seemed kind of big and awkward when I first got it. Now I use it quite a bit and like it.

I love to make altered composition notebooks, and the ATG is super to use for that. I tried making them with Mod Podge and it was a terrible sticky mess with wrinkles. The ATG is great for making these books.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 3M 714 (can use only 1/4" width tape but I make mostly cards so this is fine for me) and love it.

1-At first it is combersome but the way the design distributes the weight evenly, you'll be glad you have one. I have small hands and have no problem using mine. I did have a generic one but had problems so gave it away and that person likes it fine.

2-Yes, you'll save money on adhesive. The tape roll come in yards and if you notice, the small tape refills come in feet. I was able to combine an order with another person so The Tape Depot 36yd tape cost me $1.25 /per roll. I know some people don't like this tape but I have used over a dozen rolls the last couple of years and have no complaints. I friend was ready to throw her 3M 700 in the trash but I helped her figure out the problem was her particular roll of 3M tape. Must have been a 'bad' roll because I have used the same type and didn't have a problem with this tape.

Right now there is a pink 3M ATG on the market for crafters. My LSS is selling it for $29.99 - a small portion goes to the Susan G. Komen Foundation. (Less than $2.00 but every penny counts) Some Michael's have them in stock and you can use a coupon if it isn't already on sale.

I only use the small adhesive dispensers when I'm not home because there is no cap to cover the exposed tape on my ATG.

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 08-11-2010 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: correct tape length & add info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I have only had my ATG for a week or two but I LOVE IT! I got the pink one at Michaels with a 40% off coupon and and extra package of adhesive. For $35 (roughly) I got my gun and 4 rolls of adhesive(36 yards EACH). I think it is a no brain-er on the savings over time. Honestly the size to me wasn't a big deal. In fact it has a home in my desktop carousel, so it isn't taking up too much storage space either. I have heard of people using the tape without the gun, but I wouldn't. I had a loading issue my first time trying to load the gun. (user errror... note to self, sqeeze trigger while loading...) That suff was really sticky so I wouldn't go no gun. I think almost everyone that has ever been on the fence about and eventually got the ATG has ended up wondering why they waited so long to get it. I say get one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I love my ATG!! Not only do I save tons of money on adhesive, it holds better than just about any other 'roller' adhesive I've ever used.

The size takes a brief amount of time to get used to, but now smaller tape applicators feel strange in my hand. The reaction I get when I pull it out of my craft bag is always interesting, though.

I have the yellow model 700. I bought it a few years ago when all the red 714's were on backorder. I used the 1/2" tape... bought 36 rolls of it on ebay for about $60 around the same time I bought the gun. I do have the 1/4" adapter so when I finally run out of tape in a few years, I will be able to move to the narrower stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Potentially yes to both questions, depending on the size of your hands. I find the ATG easy to use, but I also have big hands. If you have really little hands, you'll have difficulty. Regardless though, it's hands down cheaper than buying cartridge refills. Heck, I think it's still cheaper even if you buy ATG tape at places that mark it up considerably.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I have had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists and I also have rheumatoid arthritis. I have no trouble using my ATG even though my hands are small (I'm 4' 10"). There are days when I use almost an entire roll of tape, and it is waaaaaay more economical than the snail adhesive.
There is a bit of a learning curve to using it, but after an hour or two you'll be a pro.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 06:04 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I will never go back to anyother form of adhesive. It is big so storage has been an issue but I just decorated them and now they sit out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a converted 700. Big, bulky but - you completely forget about that as soon as you get used to the feel. I save a TON on adhesives. The refills pop in easily.

I even painted mine but I need to work on that. I think I didn't wait long enough for the paint to dry. *laugh*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I also would never go back to any other kind of adhesive (unless, of course, I need a liquid or a super heavy duty like Scor-Tape or the red tacky tape). It also took me about a day of use to get the hang of it.. this was me coming from the little red "Duck Tape" dispenser. The hardest thing for me to learn was to keep pulling after I let go of the trigger. Once I got the hang of that, it became second nature. I have small hands, and my young daughter is also able to use it with no problems. It looks big, but actually the part you have your hand on isn't that big. It's the part that holds the adhesive that's big, but because it's so balanced, it's comfortable.

I buy my tape from The Tape Depot, and have NEVER had a single problem with it. I prefer it.. for one it's super cheap ($1.25 a roll.. which is 36 yards.), for two, it is acid free with no extra cost just in case I get around to scrapbooking, and for 3, it seems to apply smoother.

I love mine so much I bought another one yesterday-- the pink one. Love it! The cost savings alone is a no-brainer for me. At $1.25 for 36 yards I have money to spend on the good stuff--stamps, embellies.. etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have had my ATG 714 for about 3 years now. I have gone through countless rolls of tape and would never go to anything else. As with any new tool there is a small learning curve. The size is not an issue and my hubby built me a cute little stand for mine. The tape I buy at www.tapedepot.com is great and way economical for all the cards I make. No need to be stingy with this adhesive. I love my ATG.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I would recommend purchasing the name-brand ATG gun because the off-brand one just doesn't have the same features. I have been super disappointed with the cheaper off-brand dispenser. I plan to purchase the Scotch dispenser as soon as I can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

I love my ATG (I have the red gun). Here's why:

-Adhesive last for a long time.
-It doesn't get lost very easily under my mess.
-Refills are cheaper.
-It's not heavy.
-Great adhesive, it holds things together very well.

There is a slight learning curve when you first start to use it. You have to get used to squeezing the trigger as you pull, then releasing it right before you stop. It takes a couple of times to learn to refill it quickly.

I won't ever go back to another adhesive unless I absolutely have to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I have my craft area in my basement and found that after a while, the rolls of tape I purchased all at once a long time ago,,,, don't work so well. I love my ATG, but lesson learned. Tape + humidity = not so good results!

Thank you for visiting ~ My Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy_PattiView Post
I have my craft area in my basement and found that after a while, the rolls of tape I purchased all at once a long time ago,,,, don't work so well. I love my ATG, but lesson learned. Tape + humidity = not so good results!
That's one of the things I love about the adhesive I buy from The Tape Depot.. each roll is individually wrapped and sealed in a cellophane wrapper, so no chance of being ruined.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 06:59 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Also another fan of the way The Tape Depot packages their rolls individually. I live in an area where humidity is not an issue but still store my rolls in the plastic jars that doggie treats come in with those small packets that come with products to prevent humidity damage. (i.e. shoes, etc. - 'Desiccant Silica Gel') I use these little packets in my stamp storage also.

When I went to a photo taking class, the instructor recommended placing the small packets in your camera bag to prevent moisture building up in your camera from differences in temperature. For instance, in a hot area where the outside temp was high and then you go into an air conditioned building.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 364 Likes on 266 Posts

Ditto to everything that was said...so have you ordered one yet???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 06:33 PM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to pinkysdc77

I LOVE mine! I actually have 2 - the original gun from Scapa and now the Scotch 714....BUT!!! I just found a PINK one...and I am ordering it! So make that 3!
It is much more economical than Tombo, and you get used to the size. I take it everywhere~ The stick is awesome!

Good Luck! Maybe you can find someone in your area that has one...or visit your local craft store and see if they will let you try one! IT ROCKS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Here's another ATG convert...I just got a pink ATG yesterday at Mike's and I'm totally in love! It took me just about 5 minutes to get used to it and I love how QUIET it is (compared to the Pritt/Duck), and well it holds. Made 30 monogrammed wedding thank you cards this afternoon and I didn't even go thru a whole roll of adhesive...probably have 1/3 left. This is awesome!

Pia, I can wholeheartedly endorse the ATG.....let us know what you decide!

Blessings,
Kat
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by peeps321View Post
Ditto to everything that was said...so have you ordered one yet???
Someone smack me. I had a 50% off coupon to Michael's that I wanted to use on the pink gun.....I forgot to go back and buy it. It will expire today in 20 minutes. I have just been so busy this week getting my daughter ready for back-to-school and a horse show this weekend. OOOOOPS!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Received 68 Likes on 30 Posts

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, but really like about the ATG is that the adhesive will, at least for me, rub off cleanly and leave no residue if I accidently put the adhesive in the wrong place. For instance, sometimes I'm not completely paying attention and I've put the adhesive on the wrong side of my patterned paper. Before adhering it to my cardfront, I can rub off the adhesive and start over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #25  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

A.C. Moore has a 50% off coupon this week (good only on TUE 8/17/10):

http://images.acmoore.com/Coupons/33_10couponsol.pdf
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #26  
Crimping Master

I love my ATG gun. I use the tape from the Tape Depot because it is so cheap and it works great on cards. The Tape Depot's tape is not good for making bags and boxes. It is not thick enough to hold the paper seams together. The 3M tape is much thicker and holds better for making bags and boxes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinstacy2010View Post
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, but really like about the ATG is that the adhesive will, at least for me, rub off cleanly and leave no residue if I accidently put the adhesive in the wrong place. For instance, sometimes I'm not completely paying attention and I've put the adhesive on the wrong side of my patterned paper. Before adhering it to my cardfront, I can rub off the adhesive and start over.
I agree...this is a huge benefit for someone like me who does this more than I should I've had mine for 2 weeks now and think I am getting the hang of it. Not a problem, just a difference from the small dispensers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
The Charmed Life

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

does anyone know where to buy replacement parts for the atg 700 gun? I lost the rewind liner retainer. It's the black oval piece that connects on the right side of the gun.

My Blog- The Charmed Life

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
A.C. Moore has a 50% off coupon this week (good only on TUE 8/17/10):

http://images.acmoore.com/Coupons/33_10couponsol.pdf
Sadly we do not have an ACMoore. I once visited when we were traveling and I loved this store

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #30  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniesmomView Post
Sadly we do not have an ACMoore. I once visited when we were traveling and I loved this store
Maybe Michael's or jo-Ann's will honor the coupon? I know Hobby Lobby only accepts their coupons but the other stores accept competitor coupons (just not sure if they do if it's computer-generated).
Reply With Quote Likes