Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I am an idiot (ATG -714)

So I am one of the people who sent back her 3M ATG for a replacement. My tape kept falling off of the roller or kept traveling side to side on the roller and the tape would ultimately form a cone shape. I got my new one right before Christmas and just used it for the first time last night. And initially, I was excited. That tape line stayed exactly where it needed to. But after a few minutes of use, the tape line started traveling to the edge once again in danger of falling off. Now, this is my replacement and I have a hard time believing that with all the problems already that I would get another bad one. Any ideas of what I might be doing wrong? Is it possible that I am holding it "wrong" which is forcing the tape to move to the edge of the roller? Is there a special way that I am supposed to use it that I don't know about? I am pretty frustrated. I quit using it a long time ago because of this problem so when I found that there was a problem, I was excited that the problem wasn't just me. Now I think it is. Any thoughts?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think there is a 'certain way to hold/use' the 714 ATG. I would call
3M on Monday and talk to Barbara. She is the person that is in charge of keeping the 714 owners happy. (Poor thing!) She is really nice and will do everything in her power to 'make it right'. Sorry that your new & improved ATG is still not working like it is supposed to. I got my replacement and it is working for me. I don't think 3M would keep sending out 'bad' ATGs.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

The tape on my ATG does tend to go towards the edge of the roller, but it is due to me holding it at a slight angle. It's never moved so much or so quickly that I haven't been able to give it a quick push back into its rightful place after I finish dispensing what I need and have glued it down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default atg 714

I looked @ mine and the tape is @ the edge of the roller....it's on the left side and has been like that since I've owned it.

I've not had any problems w/mine moving back and forth. I don't see how it would do that... are you black wheels (the one's the tape is loaded on) a 1/2" up from the side of the gun and do you have the rewind hub on.I would double check to make sure the tape was correctly loaded. Here's a link that has a video on how to load & use the gun ...Hope it works out for you.

http://framingsupplies.com/3M/Scrapb...dTapesPage.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default video

Here's a video that helped me get set up with it. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 02:03 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Have you checked to make sure that your new role of tape is "snapped" down on the spindle when you put it on? I had that problem when I first got my ATG. There is a little tab than needs to snap down to hold the role securely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 03:13 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I had this exact same problem with my first ATG where the tape kept sliding off the edge of the roller. Luckily I purchased mine locally and the store owner was willing to exchange it. My new gun works fine. But I did once have a moment of panick when it began to slide again but I had forgotten to snap my new roll of tape down firmly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 04:33 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

you say it's in "danger" of falling off... but does it actually fall off?
I've had mine for several years and the tape is always positioned on the edge but it very rarely actually falls off.

Having the tape on the edge allows me to see exactly where to put the tape by using the rubber wheel as a guide. When I load my tape I actually make sure the tape is very close to the edge.

Perhaps there isn't anything wrong with you or the gun. Maybe it's just a matter of rethinking how this could be an advantage...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Default Problems with your ATG 714 Dispenser

Hello, I do sell many of these dispensers and have a great deal of experience with them. They are in fact designed to work with the adhesive tracking very close to the edge of the roller. This allows the dispenser to apply adhesive very close to the edge of an item and in some cases to actually allow a Framer to apply adhesive along the very narrow recessed ledge that might be found on some frames.
The issues that bedeviled these dispensers were related to them not dispensing freely which caused the roll of tape to distort and even break as the roll was consumed. It did not affect where the tape was supposed to track on the roller itself.
If you have loaded the roll into the dispenser properly and practice until you are comfortable handling the dispenser you will find that the tape will stay consistently to one side of the roller. I suggest to our customers that they practice with the dispenser with no tape in it. Practice trying to keep the roller flat against the surface you will be applying tape to while drawing the tape dispenser in a straight line. Once that motion becomes comfortable you will then be able to advance a bit and with a little more practice, you will be able to manipulate the dispenser so you may apply adhesive in any direction you please. Just like most tools, the more you use it, the more comfortable you should become using it. I hope this helps with any questions you may have. Dana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

Thanks ladies! I found that I am actually using it at an angle, which probably is why the tape is almost falling off of the edge. I am going to try using it holding it totally upright and see if I still have problems. I put the tape in correctly and watched the video to make sure that was the case. So thank you. If I continue to have problems, I will probably give Barb a call back. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

subing
Reply With Quote Likes