Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Location: I'm actually lost... if you find me, could you let me know where I am??
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Got my new Janome Sew Mini today...

and I'm VERY frustrated! I just HAD to have a small machine so I didn't have to drag my big one out every time I wanted to sew on a card. It took me a long time to make up my mind between the Janome and the Singer Pixie, but the reviews both here and other places were not good for the Singer, so I ordered the Janome and it came today.

I'm not a seamstress by any means, but I can sew if I have to. I read the instructions and went to Gina K's website and followed her instructions and my stitches look horrible! Mostly the straight stitches. The back thread is coming thru the front and the back threads are all "loopy". I read her instructions about setting the tension, but it doesn't make that much of a difference. I've tried every setting and they still look bad! What am I doing wrong??? I REALLY want to like this machine! HELP!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had one of these and my opinion was that it was junk. I sold it and got a full size sewing machine from Sears. The full size one was only 79.99 and it does all kinds of stitches. Should have gotten it in the first place. Sorry I am not much help.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: I'm actually lost... if you find me, could you let me know where I am??

Yes... the bobbin and thread are in correctly. It threads just like my big machine, but I followed the instructions both in the booklet and on Gina's site to a tee. I sewed on one piece of generic cardstock and on SU! cardstock with lightweight DP... same results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

What is your tension set at?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

It came set at 4. I've tried all the settings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

You have tried going higher on the tension then?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 281 Likes on 232 Posts

I had trouble with the one I had, too. Same trouble, it sounds like. Is it really loud?? If so, contact Hancock Fabrics, if that's where you got it from, and they'll send you a return label and they'll either give you store credit or they'll replace it. I went for the replacement. I think it was just a bad machine - maybe a bad lot, cuz I have heard a lot of good about them.

Hope that helps!

Tricia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the presser foot down? Is there something caught in the tension discs? Usually if there is a problem with loopy bobbin thread it's because of an issue up above.

I honestly haven't heard of any problems with the Janome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I am also thinking it might just be a bad machine. Don't give up on it. I have had a Bernina for 25 years and I love that machine. I decided to get the sew mini for my crafts. I love my sew mini! It is so light and does a perfect job. Try a replacement and see if that changes anything. I wish I could just pop over and sit down with it for you. ((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))
Don't give up! It will be worth it! Unfortunately sewing machines have to be right on with threading and everything to make them work right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SassiAngelView Post
and I'm VERY frustrated! I just HAD to have a small machine so I didn't have to drag my big one out every time I wanted to sew on a card. It took me a long time to make up my mind between the Janome and the Singer Pixie, but the reviews both here and other places were not good for the Singer, so I ordered the Janome and it came today.

I'm not a seamstress by any means, but I can sew if I have to. I read the instructions and went to Gina K's website and followed her instructions and my stitches look horrible! Mostly the straight stitches. The back thread is coming thru the front and the back threads are all "loopy". I read her instructions about setting the tension, but it doesn't make that much of a difference. I've tried every setting and they still look bad! What am I doing wrong??? I REALLY want to like this machine! HELP!!
Do you live anywhere near me? I would be glad to help you anyway I can!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you! You are all so very sweet!! Special thanks to you Gina, for taking the time to post a beautiful and easy to follow picture tutorial!! I've gone over everything again and am sure I have everything threaded right. Tried the tension in all positions, up and down. I think I'm going to try some different thread... could that be the problem?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

On my Janome it really does make a difference whether the bobbin is placed in with thread clockwise or counterclockwise...Gina, I think you said with your it doesn't matter, but with mine the thread HAS to be counterclockwise or I get loopy threads on the back also...Just a thought!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Wink

What kind of thread are you using, out of curiosity? I threw away all of my old WalMart thread, made a big difference in the appearance of my stitches.

Patrice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I just took mines out of the box and used it today, the thread could be the problem, I know old thread will cause problems on some machines, I have a very costly one and old thread will not work on it. But I had no problems with my machine.
DJ
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacque3125View Post
On my Janome it really does make a difference whether the bobbin is placed in with thread clockwise or counterclockwise...Gina, I think you said with your it doesn't matter, but with mine the thread HAS to be counterclockwise or I get loopy threads on the back also...Just a thought!!
I second this....I got a new Sew Mini a couple of months ago & finally set it up a few weeks ago....between the manual & Gina's tutorial I did get it but you're right, on mine too, the thread does have to be counterclockwise. Same loopy threads when I did it the other way.

I hope you can get it working, I *love* my Sew Mini!! I was scared to buy it because I had never sewn, but I'm so glad I did!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Ok.... I changed the thread and it seems to be working better! I used Coats and Clark both times, but the white was waaaaaaaaaaay old. Threading this is going to take a little getting used to... it IS different than my big machine. It's hard to see without a light and between my bad eyes and my not so nimble fingers, it's challenging getting the thread behind the *needle bar thread guide* then back around front and into that hole! Also when putting in the bobbin and putting the thread in the *grooves*. Ahhhhh, to be young again! I'm going to play with it some more tomorrow and hope the thread was the issue. Thank you all so much for taking the time to try to help me... I REALLY appreciate it!!

Debi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SassiAngelView Post
Ok.... I changed the thread and it seems to be working better! I used Coats and Clark both times, but the white was waaaaaaaaaaay old. Threading this is going to take a little getting used to... it IS different than my big machine. It's hard to see without a light and between my bad eyes and my not so nimble fingers, it's challenging getting the thread behind the *needle bar thread guide* then back around front and into that hole! Also when putting in the bobbin and putting the thread in the *grooves*. Ahhhhh, to be young again! I'm going to play with it some more tomorrow and hope the thread was the issue. Thank you all so much for taking the time to try to help me... I REALLY appreciate it!!

Debi
Debi,
Try flipping the bobbin over like the others suggested. See if that works better. Mine works the same both ways but I believe that manual is the opposite from what I show on my blog. Some may be more tempermental than others. (My machine may not care but yours might. ;))
I think I might change that picture on my tutorial anyway.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Default Janome Sew Mini

I too have been disappointed with the results from my Janome Sew Mini..and I bought two of them..one for me, one for my daughter-in-law...I naturally assumed the problem was me, but she had the same issues..when we tried zig-zagging, the thread was all loopy..strangely, the underside, or bottom, looked better, which I think means that the problem is not with the bobbin..I also tried every tension setting. Then I thought it was because the thing (I forget the technical term) that the spool of thread sat on didn't fit in the spool snug enough, causing the thread to be too loose...I'm going to try the suggestion of re-threading counter-clockwise, and try a new spool of thread..I'm hoping something works, because I really, really, want this to work..I have limited space and a full-size machine would be cumbersome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is a piece of crap and collects dust. It broke the second day I had it. The store I got it wouldn't take it back/replace it, so I sent it in to the manufacturer (at my expense). They sent it back and again, it worked for a day and then broke again. It skips stitches, the back looks like garbage, it rips the paper, etc. etc.

I tried all the different tensions, doing the bobbin clockwise and counterclockwise, getting good thread, etc.

I have a friend who is a professional seamstress and she couldn't get the thing to work.

I'm going to toss it on "Junk Day". I could use the space.

Huge waste of money. The thing's a freakin' lemon.

Whenever I see a thread about this machine, I volunteer my info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I had the same problem when I first got mine and then I read somewhere(Gina's tutorial?) that you should use cotton thread, not polyester and it worked beautifully after that! I love mine!

Pamm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

I hope you get it to work...I've had mine since Christmas and L-O-V-E it. I did have the loopy thread problem last week, and it was because I put the bobbin in backwards. Also I accidentally bought "heavy duty" thread instead of plain ol' everyday thread--it was a bit thick and looked pretty stinky on the card. But when I went back and got the everyday thread, it worked like a champ. Don't give up on it yet!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 05:12 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks to everyone for suggestions..will try this weekend to get it working right..I'm really hoping it does, I don't want to have to return them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

I second the bobbin suggestion. I have been using mine for over a year and I love it. It has worked great. Then, a month or two ago, I was having problems. I tried everything and couldn't get it to work right. Turns out, I put the bobbin in backwards without realizing it. It was back to working great as soon as I flipped it over. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

I bought one on Overstocks.com & love it. I am glad to know about the bobbin though, that way if I start having problems I can check on that. Mine was a reconditioned machine & I was hesitant to get but they were having a $30 off if you applied for a VISA (I didn't have one) so total price was $21 including shipping. I figured for $20 I couldn't miss. SO far so good! Hope you can get yours straightned out, it sure is fun!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

i sometimes get the weird loopy stitches too.. but that's only because the bobbin isn't installed correctly. make sure the thread catches the metal rim before you bring up the loop.

Designing for my Stamp BOX | Caardvarks | Purple Cows
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

the weight of the thread can also make a big difference in the way the stitches come out also, I have owned my Sew Mini for around two weeks now and its has gotten a lot of use just withing the past two weeks alone
Reply With Quote Likes