Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HP Photosmart B8550 - anyone have it?

Does anyone have the HP Photosmart B8550 wide-format? Do you like it, love it, hate it? Was it worth the money? Does it print 12x12 nicely?

Thanks for any reviews!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 05:57 AM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I recently got this printer (a couple months ago) - and I LOVE IT! I haven't actually gotten to printing any 12x12s yet.. but I have done some 13x17 photos (and lots of 4x6s) and they are absolutely gorgeous! The color seems to jump from the paper! Setup takes a bit of time, but the little screen on the printer will walk you right through it.

I can't speak to ink use much other than to say (per others suggestions) to buy the XL ink cartridges - twice as much ink for not much more money than the standard. The cartridges aren't outrageously priced at all.

If you do decide to buy, keep an eye on Office Max as a lot of times they have buy one, get one free HP photo paper and you can earn OfficeMax perks (I really would recommend using the HP premium papers even though they are a little more costly. I tried printing a few 4x6 prints on my cheapy kodak paper and it is just not the same!). Also if you sign up for HP emails when you register, quite often you can get ink buy 1, get 1 half off, or get something free if you buy a certain amount. Or Costco has decent prices on the ink as well!

Don't forget to find a junk printer to trade-in to HP for a $50 rebate!!! I believe the trade-in is good all year long. I received my rebate very quickly.

All told I only have $50 into this printer (half price at Office Max [$150], plus $50 Office Max bonus perks, plus $50 rebate from HP. So it was more than worth it for me. At $250 (after hp rebate) I still think it is a wonderful printer and worth it, but if you can wait a bit and keep an eye on prices, I am sure you could find it on sale somewhere for less than that!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I do! DH bought it for me for my birthday in March. I LOVE it! I printed a 12 x 12 page and it came out gorgeous. We printed out 4x6 photos for my sons school project and the photo colors are beautiful. The picture quality looks like a photo place printed it. You can't go wrong buying this printer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't have this printer, but 2 HP Photosmart printers that use the Vivera inks and they both print beautifully. I had thought about a 12 x 12 HP printer before, but dindn't get one.. the response is good for this one, so maybe it's worth me looking into.

thanks for asking about it.

~ Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks everyone! I'm really looking into it. We have another Photosmart in the house that is great but I really need one for my room, and I figured if I am going to put the money into a new printer I might as well get the wide-format and print my digi pages myself. I do print a lot of regular docs too though, does it work well for that for just standard letter paper?

I'm ok with complex set-up, that isn't an issue for me. But this is all good info to know! I thought I had to buy the printer directly from HP to get the rebate. I have an HP cheapy that is failing, thus the new printer, and I'm just not thinking I want to buy yet another $50 printer that will die in a year- again. Might as well go for something good, and then I found this one on sale for $150. I'm seriously thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Does anyone who has this printer also have or use any Gina K 120lb cardstock? Will it feed through this printer?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Default HP Photosmart B8550

I have one and love it. It prints great pictures.
I haven't tried printing with thicker cardstock. I have PTI and am afraid it might not work in the printer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut14View Post
I have one and love it. It prints great pictures.
I haven't tried printing with thicker cardstock. I have PTI and am afraid it might not work in the printer.
Would you be willing to test it for me? If it won't feed it typically won't jam, it just won't pick it up or it will pick it up but put black marks on the back. I've tried the Gina K through quite a few printers over the years, I've yet to have it jam one though. But if it makes you too nervous I understand that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Default HP Photosmart B8550

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikkiView Post
Would you be willing to test it for me? If it won't feed it typically won't jam, it just won't pick it up or it will pick it up but put black marks on the back. I've tried the Gina K through quite a few printers over the years, I've yet to have it jam one though. But if it makes you too nervous I understand that!
Let me think about it. I've wanted to try it but don't want to ruin anything.
Will let you know later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut14View Post
Let me think about it. I've wanted to try it but don't want to ruin anything.
Will let you know later.
Thank you! No pressure. If it makes you too nervous, don't do it for me, ok?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikkiView Post
Thank you! No pressure. If it makes you too nervous, don't do it for me, ok?
I have a HP 8450 and it DOES feed PTI paper, IF that helps, I HATE my printer as it is more to refill teh ink than it was to buy the printer! LOL

BUT... if HP's are HP's then mine WILL feed PTI paper and GinaK is NO where near as thick!!!! GO FOR IT!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelliJoView Post
I have a HP 8450 and it DOES feed PTI paper, IF that helps, I HATE my printer as it is more to refill teh ink than it was to buy the printer! LOL

BUT... if HP's are HP's then mine WILL feed PTI paper and GinaK is NO where near as thick!!!! GO FOR IT!!! ;)
Well we have 3 HP's in the house - one was a cheap Deskjet (it died), the other is a Deskjet All in One, and the other is a Photosmart. The two Deskjets will feed Gina K, the Photosmart will not. But it's an older model of Photosmart so I'm unsure. The people at HP of course have no clue if it will feed Gina K, lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

I have the B8500...I love this printer. I have done a few 12x12 and 11x14.. We also have a another HP...love them both!!!
Reply With Quote Likes