Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How to put an image on unmounted stamps

I am wondering if I can use my (very rarely used) Zyron to do this somehow or if I should get a laminator? Any ideas? I am not talking about SU stamps - but for the various other previously wood mounted stamps that I already have on some kind of foam. I am not even sure how to do a search for what I want - when I mention "index" I get lots of information on doing a stamp inventory index, which is NOT what I want. Help!!!! (another idea was to get a cling sheet of vinyl, stamp (with archival ink - like Stazon) and glue it to my stamp.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Never mind. Found a very good solution in the forum that this should have been posted in in the beginning. Headslap to forehead!! Thank you, Momtodogs!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 04:04 PM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy HView Post
Never mind. Found a very good solution in the forum that this should have been posted in in the beginning. Headslap to forehead!! Thank you, Momtodogs!
Inquiring minds want to know....what's the solution? I'm too tired to do a head slap and besides, it might leave a mark, ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 04:35 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Test one stamp before labeling a bunch of them. In my experience with SU clingmount stamps, adding an index label to the back made the stamp not stick well to the clear block.

Index images printed/stamped directly on the back of the stamp work great. Labels, not so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

This is the post over in the Mission Organization forum.

And, good decision to skip the head slap. I have never perfected my technique!

Momtodogs
Cardstock Collector

Lightbulb Put images on those unmounted stamps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am fairly new to the whole stamping experience, but I do know that I like saving space and keeping "like" things together. So, I tackled my wood-mounted stamps, to make them into stamps I could store in DVD cases (without hubs, I get from Amazon) with my clings.

In researching ways to do this, I found that the EZ Mount system works well, but is kind of expensive. Many times I was able to remove the rubber stamp, with the foam intact, from the wood. I thought it would be a waste to remove the foam, only to put the EZ foam on. And still, I wouldn't have the images on the stamp itself. I was able to solve this with the EZ foam, by using StazOn to stamp on the EZ foam, before remounting the stamp; however, I still wanted to be able to pare the EZ expense by reusing the rubber stamp with the foam intact.

I finally found a solution that works (for me.) I found some Cricut Cling vinyl (at Joann.com), in white. I can use StazOn to stamp the image onto the cling side of the vinyl, cut it out, and then put it directly onto the foam backing that WAS stuck to the wood. Often the foam still had plenty of adhesive stickiness and I didn't have to add any more glue. Other times, I just added some Zig 2-way glue, and it holds just fine. This also works for those unmounted rubber stamps I have bought online, that had cling foam, but didn't have images on them.

The, now-imaged, white cling side of the Cricut Cling vinyl sticks well to the acrylic stamp blocks. One 12"x24" roll goes a very long way. Yay!!!!
momtodogs is online now Report Post

Read more: Put images on those unmounted stamps by momtodogs at Splitcoaststampers

Last edited by Cathy H; 05-03-2015 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: Just cuz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 03:00 PM   #6  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another method:
I did this with bare rubber as well as with a stamp that had been mounted on EZ mount (stamp came that way).

First I took the image and placed it on a piece of clear vinyl (paper side up) and drew around the image.
I then cut out the vinyl in the shape of the stamp.
Then I stamped off the image onto white tissue paper using Tuxedo Black Memento ink.
I roughly cut the image out.
I then took Tombow Mono Multi glue and lightly coated the bare rubber/EZ mount and glued the tissue image onto the top of it.
I then separated the vinyl from the paper it comes on and placed the clear vinyl on top of the tissue paper stamped image that still was damp from the glue.
This then gives you an index of the stamped image as well as puts vinyl cling onto the stamp. The vinyl will cling to the MISTI or acrylic block.

I just used my fingers to spread the glue. The tissue paper is just the white tissue paper that you buy for wrapping gifts. Some stamp companies wrap their packages in tissue paper that you could use for this process. You will need clear cling vinyl in order to be able to see the stamped image through it. Clear cling vinyl can be purchased in craft stores or online. All vinyl is not cling -- so test it first to see if will cling to itself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 07:03 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I just use the white tissue paper to stamp the image and trim it close, glue it to the foam and let it dry. There should be a border of foam that's not covered by the tissue paper. Once it's dry, I give the whole thing a coat of repositionable glue (Tack-It-Over-And-Over or Mono Multi) and let that dry, and the stamps are good to go.

When I first started doing this, I let the tissue paper go all the way to the edge of the foam and the image sometimes started pulling away from the foam when I would move it from the storage panel to the block and back. Leaving the foam border and coating the whole thing with the repositionable glue serves to seal the image to the stamp and no pulling away. I do use Tacky glue to stick the tissue paper image down; the glue kind of soaks into the tissue paper and makes it more transparent.

On stamps that I made cling with cling vinyl, I was never very happy with their gription. The repositionable glue is less expensive, doesn't need to be trimmed, and I think it clings better
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

cbet, I am going to try your method. It requires no purchases!!!! If it works well for me, then I am set! I appreciate the tip to leave a little border around the image - I was worried about the edge of the tissue being compromised.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Heart How to put an image on an unmounted stamp

I have just posted this on another thread, but found this one and would like to get your thoughts as well...
Hi all, Thanks so much for all the wonderful suggestions you all have made over the years. I used to stamp in the past and have tons of wood-mounted stamps. I stop stamping because I found that I was never able to get real good stamp images on my own. Recently I became aware of the Tim Holtz and Misti stamp platforms. Needless to say, I am ecstatic and look forward to stamping again. I'm going to un-mount all my stamps but would like to include an image of the stamp on top of the unmounted stamp. All my stamps have the grey foam on them and I have successfully remove the wood mount on my test stamps without damaging the foam. My questions are: (1) Some of you mentioned that you stamp your stamp image on tissue paper, glue it to the foam backing, then seal it with repositionable glue such as Aleene or Tombow. Most of my stamps have beautiful colored images on the wood mount. I was thinking of xeroxing the color image onto regular paper, gluing it to the foam (leaving a border of course), followed by the repositionable glue. Has anyone tried this? Do you think it will work? (2) Once the repositionable glue is dried on the unmounted stamp, what is the best way to store them? A cheap alternative would be great since I have a lot of stamps. I have heard of EZMount StampNStor but it is quite pricey. I would like to store them on a thicker plastic sheet so that it has some weight to it. For example, I store my dies on 8.5x11 magnet sheets then into a thicker sheet protector. Thanks so much for your wisdom and help. So sorry for the long post. Happy Mothers Day! Hugs, Rosalie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Welcome to Splitcoast, Rosalie, and Happy Mother's Day to you! I hear you about the beautiful color images on the wood blocks (I've actually kept a few to use as display after I unmounted the stamp). My thought on using a photocopy is that it may be just enough thicker than tissue paper to be problematic. You could test one or two images as outlined above and see how they do. If you found that they were too thick, you could possible temporarily adhere tissue paper to another paper with more body and then run that through the printer. I'm thinking that regular old Scotch tape on the leading edge (the one that goes through the printer first) and at the bottom may be enough to do the trick. Another option might be to iron the tissue to freezer paper, but I would be concerned about that leading edge getting caught in the printer - you certainly don't want to jam it. Just a couple of thoughts - maybe someone with actual experience on any of this will weigh in, too. Good luck with that!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks so much for your thoughts, Sue. I'm going to get some of the re-positional glue and try a few out like you suggested. Thanks again. Hugs, Rosalie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Rosalie, if you can get the sticker off the wood mount, you can trim that very closely and use it just like the tissue paper.

Otherwise, I've printed on tissue paper with an inkjet printer by setting the picture up to print kind of in the middle of the page and taping tissue paper over that spot and printing. That way, the tape is not all the way out to the margins of the paper and it still feeds thru the printer just fine. But - with grey cling foam, the pretty colors on the sticker are going to be very muted and not look nearly so nice as it looks on the wooden block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2018, 05:15 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Sue, that is a great suggestion that does actually work. I've used it in the past if I only had a small piece of vellum in the right colour that I wanted to print text on. As long as all the tape is firmly pressed down, there should be no problems.
Reply With Quote Likes