Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many sew on paper

Using a standard sewing machine? I need a sewing machine anyway to do household hems and such. I was looking at the least expensive kenmore or Singer. But I also love how it looks when you sew on your cards. Is this something I can do on a std machine our will it mess it up? Any idea's are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I have a nice Kenmore that I bought at Sears a few years ago and I use it for both paper and household items, you just need to have a seperate needle for papers and fabrics, the paper dulls the neeldes and will not sew on fabric as nicley after using it on paper. I have a small folder thing made of cardstock for my paper sewing needle but keep the fabric sewing needle in the machine all the time.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I think I would try one of those little sewing machines ($30) before I'd use a regular machine. I too would like to use stitching for additional dimension. C'mon sewers, tell us your secrets !!

StampinOnThePrairie my poor little bare bones blog - but come say Hi !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do...I love to sew on paper. I have a Kenmore in blue that I bought just for this hobby...lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Cindy, thanks so much for your helpful tips. I think that is the way I am going to go.

I thought about buying a cheap $30 machine for crafting but from what I have read allot of people say they are junk and stop working within a year. I need to stretch my crafting dollar as far as it will go.

Amber do you have the model number of the kenmore you bought and do you use it for sewing on fabric as well?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I use a regular sewing machine when I sew on paper (in fact I rarely sew on fabric these days!). I also keep a separate needle for paper and fabric but I tend to keep the paper one in the machine! I have it marked with a swipe of a Copic so it's easy to see which is which. I've been using my machine for paper for several years with no problems. Dust out round your shuttle housing every once in a while to make sure you don't get a build up of tiny paper fibres and you're good to go. Have fun!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

I'm using a Kenmore sewing machine too. I just started sewing on paper, so I can't tell you the long term effects, but so far the machine is working just fine on paper and fabric. I purchased the bottom of the line Kenmore sewing machine several years ago and it's mostly sat in the garage since I dont know how to sew that well, lol. But now it's next to my desk for paper sewing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have a Janome and I sew and fabric and paper. I have not had any problems with my machine. Changing the needle is important .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the janome mini, and only use it for paper.
I love the look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireles4View Post
Using a standard sewing machine? I need a sewing machine anyway to do household hems and such. I was looking at the least expensive kenmore or Singer. But I also love how it looks when you sew on your cards. Is this something I can do on a std machine our will it mess it up? Any idea's are appreciated.

Mireles - if you want to do "real" sewing in addition to "paper" sewing, then get a real sewing machine. Those little mini's are nice and cute, and probably fine for paper, but if you really want to do hems, etc...... you can get a nice mechanical machine that comes with a built in blind-hem stitch. Get a mechanical machine with at least 12 built in stitches. One of them will be a blind-hem. Guaranteed.

It doesn't sound like you really have intentions of making your own clothes - but you might want to at least use your machine for kitchen curtains and such. Home dec sewing is the one genre of sewing where you will SAVE HUGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY EVERY TIME.

I have 11 sewing machines - and I'm partial to Janomes. But you can really get alot of machine for your money if you would go to a sewing machine dealer. They will ususally take trade-ins, refurb them PLUS give you a store warrenty.

My one caution would be this. I really don't recommend sewing paper with a high priced computerized sewing machine. A good solid mechanical machine will suit your purposes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

everyone, thank you so much for replying to this thread. You are giving me alot to think about.
"Sewnmachine" What a great idea about getting a refurb one, I never considered that. I will have to look around the local sew dealer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Subbing. . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

After using one of my Brother computerized machines on paper, it seized up on me and about gave me heart failure! I learned my lesson. My computerized machines just don't/won't tolerate paper. So, I have an old Babylock mechanical that has 21 stitches. I am totally in awe of using this machine on my card projects. Just doing straight stitches and zig zag stitches look pretty boring after a while, so I started experimenting not only with the decorative stitches but also the utility stitches. Looks great. Using a double (twin) needle with matching color thread or different color thread gives a nice effect too.

One of the more adventurous techniques that I use when doing free motion embroidery with fabric also works with paper. Here's how it goes:

When you want to use a much thicker thread or even embroidery floss or even (gasp) yarn, - well obviously those are too thick to go through the eye of a needle. So, you wind your thick thread around your bobbin, place your design on the wrong side of your project, and a light weight thread in the needle. Drop those feed dogs, loosen your top tension, and begin to sew.
Basically what you end up with is the bobbin (heavy thread) on the top side of the project and your needle thread on the bottom. Everybody always asks
"How did you do that?"

Free motion stitching does take practice though, and it's not for the faint of heart because you will probably end up with a few broken needles before you get the hang of it. But once you do....... the skys the limit. If you can draw it - you can stitch it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Mine was intended by the company to use on paper. If you go to Sears site and look for Kenmore I think it is the only blue one they have. It was like $79.99 but I sew on a lot of cards and I have never even had to change the needle. I have had it for more than 3 years now and I have no complaints.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

OH..I too had one of the smaller units everyone is talking about but it was JUNK. Didnt last very long. Should have just gotten the larger unit first and saved that money I wasted.

blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I tried using my machine ($150 Brother - I've had it for years) but it doesn't like sewing on paper...the thread keeps breaking. I've tried a few different settings but I can't get it to work. Any tips on using a basic sewing machine with paper? (I was sewing on K&Co PP, no cardstock behind it...is that too flimsy? I thought I could sew on the paper first and then attach it to cardstock to hide the back stitching)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I use the same sewing machine my DH bought me over 15 years ago (and made my kids clothes with).

I haven't like the straight stitching with it, but I might need practice with that. The zigzag through works well. I love the effect.
Attached Thumbnails
How many sew on paper-pict0483.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2010, 04:52 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I have two machines. I use my Janome just for sewing on cards and I keep it out so it's handy. Otherwise I'd be too lazy to drag the thing out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2010, 06:01 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

I just got my "Janome Sew Mini" before the big snow storm. I followed Gina K's videos for setting it up and it works like a charm. Big Shout out to "Gina K". I can't wait to have some time to play with it on my card creations.

www.wanda50.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

For Christmas this year my mother used her specialty embroidery machine (since I'm not a sewer I don't know the "technical" name for the machine and embroidered a design on cardstock. She did indicate that she needed to use a really sharp needle because when the needle dulled it tore the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

regular sewing machine here-had the craft one- threw it away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Good info here.
sewinmachine thanks for all the detail! I;m gonna have to check out your gallery.
Scrapinmoments, the eaxmple you showed is exactly what I want to do!
Amber i'm headed to the sears site right now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Mine was intended by the company to use on paper. If you go to Sears site and look for Kenmore I think it is the only blue one they have. It was like $79.99 but I sew on a lot of cards and I have never even had to change the needle. I have had it for more than 3 years now and I have no complaints.
blessings.
Amber, how big is the Kenmore blue machine? I have a janome sew mini that has worked great for over two years, but it is starting to have a few issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just bought a Pixie Plus from Singer got a deal 30% off. Tried it last night and it barely worked. I was able to sew on paper around one square and it broke. Cheap cheap cheap.
Returned it today. Sad because I only want one for paper. Thought it would be perfect, but it wasn't! I have an old Kenmore I bought from Sears over 30 years ago. I wonder if that works? Gonna dig it out! Just wish a craft sewing machine for paper sewing only would be more reasonably priced. The next crafting machine at JoAnn's was $199. Not a bad price really and it had lots of cool stitches. Plus it looks lots more reliable. It wasn't all that portable though. That's what I thought would be pretty cool about the Pixie Plus. Small, cute, and the accessory box had lots of goodies. Too bad the sewing mechanisms don't work that well. Sigh.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I sew on cards all the time, the only thing that will suffer is needles, but they get replaced anyway, I wouldn't bother with a craft machine, the household sewing machine will do grand!! HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #26  
Inking Addict

Some tips I learned from experience!

Yes, what ever you choose Be sure to get a bunch of needles when they go on sale at the fabric store.
Sharp needles work better especially when you are just poking holes through.
You will have to adjust the tension for sewing paper... fiddle around a bit on some practise layers.

OH ! Plus get yourself a little oval fluffy paint brush to clean out the lint every once in a while. ( underneath where the bobbin and needle hang out)

and if you decide to oil your machine.... sew some plain paper to make sure you don't get oil on your GOOD cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #27  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireles4View Post
Do a search on here and see what others have to say about using a sewing machine for cards. you might find some more information before you go shopping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 06:49 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Singer, not too pricey ($80) and it works great sewing on paper, it has quite few different stitch lengths . I don't sew much fabric but when I do I change needles.
When I worked at my LSS we tried several different tiny machines and I thought they were all really crappy

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have a base model Kenmore that I purchased 12 years ago. I use it for quilting and have used it on cards for the past 2 years and it's still going strong. Just keep a sharp needle for your materials and swipe away the paper dust after a while. My Kenmore works for me although I do covet those gorgeous embroidery machines for my fabrics!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi ladies...sorry I have not been back to this thread lately... :( My Sears Kenmore blue unit is a normal size machine. Since the desk in my office is a computer desk, it stores easily in the door for the tower. I always leave the cord plugged in and it hangs on a little hook under my desk...works for me..
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes