Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many different adhesives and glues do you have?

For me, finding the right all purpose adhesive is like some people looking for the right paper trimmer LOL

I have a shoe box full of them and I except for Scor-Tape I find many don't adhere properly :(

*Glue dots can be " Iffy" depending on what you are attaching.
*Things attached with Tape runners come off after a while.
*Red line tape is a nuisance removing the red protective layer. It has so much static it sticks to everything.
*Tombow Mono buckles the paper after it is dry and doesn't stick well on embossed paper
*The Quickie Glue pen doesn't hold well on many things .
*Zip Dry dries out in the applicator tip after I remove it to put on the white cap
*Aleene's Tacky isn't too bad.

Now I am about to try Beacon's 3 in 1 clear glue. Wish me luck !

How many different adhesives and glues do you have ??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 458 Likes on 347 Posts

I use exactly two: Scor-Tape and Tombow Mono Multi (in the green bottle). I get excellent results with both.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I love Scor-Tape, but sometimes I need a liquid adhesive.

I have had problems with Tombow Mono. . I attached a layered oval on two cards and it buckled the paper on both after they dried. I put them under heavy books to try to flatten them and still they were not perfectly flat .
I used Tombow Mono to attach a punched edged to something that I had embossed with Swiss Dots and I was able to "easily" peel it off the next day .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, let's see, Barbara, I think I have most of the ones you listed, lol.

I used Score tape and the Green Mono-Multi a bunch before I got my ATG gun. Now I use the ATG for everything I can manage to attach with it. I'm very pleased with its holding power.

I had trouble using the ATG for smaller things when I first got it, and still used the Mono some. But I've become more and more comfortable using the gun with practice. Now I can apply it to small areas as well as larger layering pieces.

I found a great buy at my local Dollar Tree on some "no name" small adhesive squares, kind of like glue dots, but a little flatter. They were only $1 for a pack of 160 of them. When I saw how well they worked to stick down things like buttons, flowers and other embellishments, I went to several stores and bought about 20 packs of them. I'm glad I did, because they don't carry them anymore! They stick better than any name brand expensive glue dot I ever used. I will be sad when I use them all up.

I have a Zig 2-way glue pen for really tiny stuff, like little letters I cut out occasionally, and for some of the lacey border dies I have.

Of everything I've bought to stick stuff down, I think I was most disappointed with the Zip Dry glue. Someone recommended it in a post here one night, and so of course, I dashed off to Michaels immediately and bought it. It was very difficult to apply and clogged the tip.

In summary, for my day-in, day-out cardmaking purposes, I don't think you can beat the ATG gun for most things, and it is very cost effective, too.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2011, 10:14 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post

Of everything I've bought to stick stuff down, I think I was most disappointed with the Zip Dry glue. Someone recommended it in a post here one night, and so of course, I dashed off to Michael's immediately and bought it. It was very difficult to apply and clogged the tip.

I am happy you said this. I bought it because some people swear it is the best. I just swore AT IT . LOL The nozzle tip was clogged every time I turned around . I put the red cap on immediately after I used it and it didn't stop the glue from drying in the nozzle. :(

My experiments with the new Beacon 3 in 1 glue are drying on the table.

I glued a piece of vellum; an intricate punched border and a rather large layered oval to a piece of cardstock. I will check in the morning to see how well they held .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 04:40 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 458 Likes on 347 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I love Scor-Tape, but sometimes I need a liquid adhesive.

I have had problems with Tombow Mono. . I attached a layered oval on two cards and it buckled the paper on both after they dried. I put them under heavy books to try to flatten them and still they were not perfectly flat .
I used Tombow Mono to attach a punched edged to something that I had embossed with Swiss Dots and I was able to "easily" peel it off the next day .
I have had those issues with the Tombow Mono Aqua but never with the Mono Multi.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

For a liquid adhesive, I use Perfect Paper Adhesive (sparingly). I found mine at Mike's, so you can use a coupon. It's $8.95 for an 8-ounce bottle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm pretty sure I have all the previously mentioned adhesives as well - and probably a couple of more if I actually looked Now, I'm one that loves the Zip Dry - but I haven't had problems with it drying in the nozzle while I'm using it. It does dry in there after I take the nozzle off and put the white cap on, but after it dries I love using my piercing tool to get the dried glue out. I'm warped that way

I don't believe there is one single all-purpose adhesive. I figure, I wouldn't be happy if I was limited to one way of coloring my images, I shouldn't be limited to one way to stick stuff together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I use my ATG most of the time, Score Tape, Zig pen, Mono multi and I also use plain old Elmers glue.
I have no luck with glue dots! Mono multi is also losing ground with me. I used it to attach ribbons to an ATC swap I did last week. Went to mail them and every one of the ribbons came off with no effort at all. Got out my trusty Elmers and they are stuck for good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a liquid adhesive, I have been using Heidi Swapp Scrappy glue and have been very pleased with it. I haven't had any things fall off, even two or three years later.

For a dry adhesive I use CM tape runner for pictures and embellishments, I use photo tape for making boxes & bags, I use Zots for certain applications. I've been happy with all of them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

for dry adhesives I use my ATG 95% of the time...the remaining is scor-tape or Xyron
Wet adhesive...depends on what I need it for. art glitter glue is fantastic, holds well and dries quick and clear; I also use Aleene's Tacky Glue and Fabri-Tac for heavier items
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Default adhesives

I use zip dry liquid--glue Arts glue glider pro(ac moore or mikes)--tomboy adhesive tape--beacon 3 and 1 liquid --and my newest is score tape from scrapadabadoo--you get so much for your money at that site--check it out....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

[QUOTE=buggainok;17886296]Well, let's see, Barbara, I think I have most of the ones you listed, lol.

I found a great buy at my local Dollar Tree on some "no name" small adhesive squares, kind of like glue dots, but a little flatter. They were only $1 for a pack of 160 of them. When I saw how well they worked to stick down things like buttons, flowers and other embellishments, I went to several stores and bought about 20 packs of them. I'm glad I did, because they don't carry them anymore! They stick better than any name brand expensive glue dot I ever used. I will be sad when I use them all up.

I found the same thing at my Dollar Tree and they were by Scotch. I have been looking for some more and cannot find them anywhere. You are right they stick really well. Also, I was at my local Hancock Store and they had some AT runners on clearance for $.25. I ended up buying all of them. They are an off brand are horrible to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Many! I've organized them into 3 separate boxes --

tapes, including red line and scor it
dimensionals
liquid

everything's got to stick!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 10:58 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I think I'm a gluaholic. I use Tombow in the greena and white bottle and my ATG most of the time but I also have the Xyron sticker maker, the Xyron 510, and a wide variety of popdots and other foamies. The there is the bottle of Perfect Paper Adhesive, the Aleen's clear tack, and a couple of Tombow snails (permanent and repositionable) for really quick jobs. Oh, and score tape. And, let's see, red line tape. Hmm. I think that's it. Oh, no. One more but I don't remember the name. It's a Scotch 3m liquid glue in a bottle with a very fine tip. Yeah, definitely a gluaholic.

Makaren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

I stick to only 3 kinds:

- ATG for general purposes
- Glue Dots or Zots for embellishments
- mounting tape for dimension

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 01:51 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

I use Aleene's Tacky for almost everything. Glossy Accents for extra hold on things like gems, Dew Drops, metal accents. And I don't mind red-liner when I need tape, but some time I'll try Scor-Tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Barbara...do you want me to send you all that I dont use????? lol
I have so many sitting around me but usually ONLY use ATG and Mono Multi. On some projects the red tape is required...
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 05:11 PM   #19  
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Weird. I must be one of the few people that love Zip Dry.

I took a piece of painter's tape, and just attach a paper clip to clean out any blockage.

What you are afraid to do is a clear indicator of what you need to do. - Zig Ziglar
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 08:38 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 669 Likes on 421 Posts

ah, this is one of those "numbers" questions... and my number is unlisted...

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2011, 11:20 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Barbara...do you want me to send you all that I dont use????? lol
I have so many sitting around me but usually ONLY use ATG and Mono Multi. On some projects the red tape is required...
blessings.
No Thank you Amber LOL I have too many now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 04:46 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

My DH & I probably own every type of glue made, lol. I do a lot of mixed media so I have different glues for different things. My DH gave me great advice one day. "The glue matters!" It really does because I have ruined many a project trying to take frugal shortcuts on adhesive.

Cardmaking I adore:

Aleene's Tacky Glue- for my all purpose liquid glue and to hold down rhinestones, buttons, etc.

Diamond Glaze- If Aleen's won't hold a rhinestone down then Diamond Glaze will.

Old fashion glue sticks- I adore them and I don't have the trouble most have complaints about. I guess glue sticks love me too. I don't have ATG skills either, lol.

Tape Runner- If you don't have an ATG you probably have a runner. I don't use it a lot but it does come in handy.

Glue pen- for those tiny things. Nothing more fun than writing or drawing in glue then sprinkling it with glitter. It's like magic.

Painter's Tape- To hold down projects safely. To hold down thick materials on your die cutting mats. Great for taping Nesties when trying to center an image. Painter's tape is just great for everything messy or not wanting it to move so you can make your project messy.

Foam Tape- I get mine at Harbor Freight. It's cheaper than the craft stores. I can cut it down to size for my projects.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Adhesives should come with a pull-date, since what stuck yesterday might not stick next month. My DH says, "Everyone knows glues deteriorate relatively fast." But I get really fussed when I have to junk expensive products like vellum tape or self-adhesive rhinestones or pop-dots because the adhesive has expired.

Zip glue I LOVED, when I first got it, but it quickly (less than a half year) turned to stone, even though I was REALLY careful to follow instructions about keeping it from drying out.

My latest real pleasure is Making Memories Ribbon Glue, a luxury that prevents me from having to fuss with ways to attach ribbon without the adhesive showing. I will try it on Vellum soon.

My three stand-by adhesives are 6000E Craft Glue(comes in a tube), found in M's Art section, 3M 1/4" Gold ATG tape, and Score-Pal tape (SookWang). The 6000E I use with a Q-tip for attaching embellishments because it sticks fast and furiously and is great even when it gets old and thick. (I'm still using what I bought 7 years ago.) The SookWang tape I use when I'm not positive the ATG tape will make an absolutely straight line upon which I can sprinkle glitter or powders. The 3M Gold ATG tape works on ALMOST everything. If I could have only one adhesive, it would be my choice.

Not to mention the dozens of other tapes and glues I've junked for poor-performance. They might all be great when fresh, for all I know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Currently using the Tombow Multi (green btl) and no problems.

Used to use the ZipDry...but the constant squeezing made my hands tired and then with arthritis creeping in, I stopped using it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default P.S.

I forgot to mention what I use for dimension; at the hardware store I buy 3M Outdoor Mounting Tape because it sticks like mad and its' depth is less than most other dimensionals, so the post office doesn't complain. It is about and inch and a half wide, so I can cut it in strips, squares, whatever. When you see it in the package, look for the one that has red tape-backing showing. (It's not the narrow 3M tape that's white with green plaid, found at office supply stores.)

When you buy the 3M Outdoor Mounting Tape, choose the one with clear adhesive or the one with grey adhesive. One is for mounting heavier items than the other, but for our purposes, either works great. I buy the clear because I can be sure it won't be seen if I put it near the edge of the piece I'm popping up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

I use most of the above but I also use Beacon Fabri-Tac for ribbon!! Can't beat it!! I bought it at Wal-Mart.

My Small but Growing Gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 06:22 AM   #27  
Inking Addict

i love zip dry and 3-in-1 - both are by beacon and have different uses.

i don't have too much trouble with zip dry clogging - usually if it does clog, you can just pull out the "blob" from the top. mike, at beacon has suggested putting a pin in the tip after you use it. it is important to let the glue FULLY drain from the tip before removing it to put on the white cap for storage.

i use the 3-in-1 for "quick-grab" jobs as it is a quick-tack glue. it's perfect for flowers, buttons, chipboard, etc. all kinds of embellies, although you can use it for anything! it's a little "stringier" than zip dry.

i think you get more "move" time with zip dry, and it's easier to pull up with undu than things adhered with 3-in-1.

i recommend both in my classes and use them exclusively on my own projects!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bunches! 3 Allene's liquid glues, Tombo multi, Zig's 2-way glue pen, Tombo tape runner, mini glue dots, pink ATG, glue gun, foam dots, foam tape and red line tape. I've used them all but my favorite for paper and card stock is the ATG and red line. For fabrics I use liquid glues and the glue gun. Glue dots are handy for attaching small things like buttons and flowers to paper. The foam tape is good for larger areas and bulk production.

It all depends on what I want to stick together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #29  
Embossing Fanatic

I use:
ATG (paper)
Pop Dots (paper)
Glue Dots (embelishments)
and Beacon 'Fabri-Tac' (everything else)...really strong and dries fast
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a bit late to the party here, but I've been quilting more than stamping lately LOL.
However, I have my pink ATG gun, which is my go-to adhesive to anything big enough to use it on. I love that thing! Then I have Tombow Mono Multi in the in the green/white bottle - best for teeny things like my Sizzlet letters. I have some leftover Creative Memories tape - eh. Quickie Glue Pen that I used for my Sizzlet letters, but sometimes it doesn't stick well, glue dots for ribbons and such and pop dots. I also have a few assorted tape runners sitting here that I don't use anymore since I got my ATG. I let my friends' kids use them on their projects.
Reply With Quote Likes