Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-01-2010, 03:01 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Stampin' Up Classic Ink Pads/Reinkers: Old Style Vs. New

I have come across a couple of the "old style" SU! classic ink pads and reinkers and was wondering if any of the experienced SU! consultants would know what the difference is between the old style and new style SU! ink pads? Besides differences in the pads themselves, are there any differences in the actual colors (e.g., would the old style Brilliant Blue be a close color match to the new style Brilliant Blue?) I am not planning to use the old style reinkers on new style ink pads. I am basically looking to use the ink for stamping and shading and wanted to be sure colors would basically match.

I was also wondering for both the old style and new style stamp pads, how often do you find yourself reinking and how long does a bottle of reinker last (for an average stamper)? How much reinker does it take to get a dried out ink pad juicy again?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Judy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2010, 04:05 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 510 Likes on 229 Posts

Old style ink pads look like this (picture from ebay):
http://cgi.ebay.com/StampinUp-ink-pa...item483ab8d441
They are a bit smaller, have a lid that opens like a book does, the pad area is smaller, but only by a little bit...2-1/4 x 3-5/8 (the new ones are 2-3/4 x 3-3/4).

As for the reinkers...the ink formula for the classic pads has never changed. Reinkers purchased with the old style pads are the same as the new style pads. (I must say that at one time there was a change in the formula for the ink used in the WHEEL cartridges.)

As for how often to re-ink? Well, I'm not good at that so I may not be the person to reply. When I don't get a good image, I figure I better re-ink. I do, and am amazed at how dry my pad used to be! If you aren't using a pad frequently and it is drying up, I have heard that the Ranger ink pad refresher is a good thing to use, but I have not tried that yet.

It doesn't take a lot of ink to deal with a "dry" ink pad. You can get several reinkings from a bottle. I have been using SU since 2000 and am still on my first reinkers. I also have a bunch of pads that probably need reinking right now!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2010, 04:26 AM   #3  
Inking Addict

You are AMAZING!! WOW!! When I posted that message I never thought I'd get such a PERFECT and INFORMATIVE answer as that from one person!! Thank you!! :cool:

Judy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Diane's right, and fast!
They are all the same. If you get a good deal on the old style pads, and don't mind the style (which most companies still use, I think), then go for it. They are exactly the same, otherwise. The inks also. I have some from late 90's I think, they are just fine.

SU USED to have a different formula for inking the wheel cartridges. After years of testing/research, they finally gave us the go-ahead to use the pad reinkers for wheels also.
P. S. yeah, i have all those old reinkers too, LOL! ah well, it's not milk...it doesn't go "bad". I'm still using and enjoying all my old SU! stuff.

Oh, on reinking...I"ve had mine for years and years, and was an active demonstrator and productive stamper for many years as well. So you know I've reinked and kept those pads in use. The only reinker I"ve had to buy more than one of is Basic Black.

You might need or use more ink if you do a lot of dying ribbon or background techniques on white paper--which BTW that will be a good way to "get" more CS in the retiring colors after your CS supply is gone. Still I wouldn't get extra reinkers execpt perhaps in your very very favorite color. That's about it that I can think of.
HTH!

Enjoy your deal!
Happy stampin'
Holly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubamaraView Post
Diane's right, and fast!
They are all the same. If you get a good deal on the old style pads, and don't mind the style (which most companies still use, I think), then go for it. They are exactly the same, otherwise. The inks also. I have some from late 90's I think, they are just fine.

SU USED to have a different formula for inking the wheel cartridges. After years of testing/research, they finally gave us the go-ahead to use the pad reinkers for wheels also.
P. S. yeah, i have all those old reinkers too, LOL! ah well, it's not milk...it doesn't go "bad". I'm still using and enjoying all my old SU! stuff.

Oh, on reinking...I"ve had mine for years and years, and was an active demonstrator and productive stamper for many years as well. So you know I've reinked and kept those pads in use. The only reinker I"ve had to buy more than one of is Basic Black.

You might need or use more ink if you do a lot of dying ribbon or background techniques on white paper--which BTW that will be a good way to "get" more CS in the retiring colors after your CS supply is gone. Still I wouldn't get extra reinkers execpt perhaps in your very very favorite color. That's about it that I can think of.
HTH!

Enjoy your deal!
Happy stampin'
Holly
Holly ~

Thank you for such an informative post!! I always know that you guys will come through with the answers I need ... no matter WHAT the question!! I appreciate your help.

Judy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Do you have nay idea of the year that Stampin' Up! switched over to the new design?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a small problem when I went to reink a pad that I had not used in a long time (maybe a couple of years)...
I opened up my refill bottle and started to ink the pad and found that the color was almost black.
It seems like over time the color had all settled down to the bottom of the reinker - it pretty much ruined my ink pad because what came out was black, instead of the color.

Now, I make sure I shake each bottle of reinker very well before I add it to the inkpad, and will even drip out a few drops on a piece of paper to make sure I have the color mixed together.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

They switched in 2003. Some colors have shifted over time -- Pink Passion for one, some of the Rich Regals blue shades, Orchid Opulence, Almost Amethyst are a few that come to mind. I wouldn't hesitate to ink an old pad with a new(er) reinker. The color may not be exact but it will be close and what else are you going to do with it? Better to have a "hybrid" pad that works than an old one that is too dry to use.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

SU old style ink pads were made with a very high quality fabric type top. I just pulled out an old pad from that I written the purchase date on (2002) and it was still in perfect stamping condition, ready to use.

If I had my "druthers", I would chose and old pad over the new because the old pads NEVER frayed on the edges and left gooky,inky fibers on the rubber of a stamp. The new pads are notorious for frayed edges, lifted corners and cupped centers, by contrast the old style had none of these problems. The new pads are a nifty in the way they open and store upside down, but the ink pad part of the pad is nowhere near as high quality as the old style pads. Just my 2 cents on the subject. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Boss:
Dotty (03-20-2024), pepperann (04-18-2024)
Old 08-30-2010, 05:13 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

I agree that the older pads were nice. You could take the lids off to get them out of the way. I can't figure out how to open the new ones without inking my hands in the process.

In asking for the date, I was trying to figure out when I was first introduced to Stampin' Up!. I found my first stamp set and found it was dated 1998. I bought 4 stamp pads including Old Olive and More Mustard. They're still some of my favorite colors!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2024, 04:59 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

I know this is an OLD thread, but I recently was looking through some of the reinkers I have and came across Lovely Lilac which appears to have somehow separated or became chemically degraded. It looks like brown liquid and sediment has formed on the bottom as well. It had been stored in a box and out of the sunlight or heat so it's not like it had faded.

I also have to wonder how many other people had this same problem with this color. If you search on eBay, there are very few listed, and one person is selling a bottle (it didn't appear full) for $18.99 plus shipping. That's outrageous!

The bottle I had was a full bottle it's a little disheartening to know that I will have to throw it away. I am hoping, somewhere along the way, I can find one at a reasonable price with reasonable shipping. Fortunately, it's not something I need right away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2024, 06:55 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

You may be able to find a re-inker from another company that is very close to the Lovely Lilac. I know that SU doesn't have one that comes close, but there are some awesome colors in other company's ink lines. Take a look at Catherine Pooler, Altenew, Taylored Expressions, Concord and 9th, Papertrey Ink, or Hero Arts...or another company...to see if someone comes really close. If I come across a close match, I'll come back and say something!
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Springpatchlady (04-17-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 03:34 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I will do that! And thank you for keeping an eye out also.

Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2024, 01:54 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

I have had several over the years that have separated from sitting a LOOOOONG time between uses. Usually (but not always) a good shaking will make it a homogeneous color again. If you aren't sure you have shaken it long enough or if the color is still good, try a drop or two on scrap paper before putting it on your ink pad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2024, 04:18 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Nope, the good shaking many times did nothing. I even tried cooking it in the microwave--what's the worst that could happen, it's already not working? Also, just for kicks, did the drops on the paper without any luck. It just dripped clear for the most part with almost like an oily-ish substance. It even took a little bit for it to dry cuz of the oily-ish substance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2024, 07:50 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
You may be able to find a re-inker from another company that is very close to the Lovely Lilac. I know that SU doesn't have one that comes close, but there are some awesome colors in other company's ink lines. Take a look at Catherine Pooler, Altenew, Taylored Expressions, Concord and 9th, Papertrey Ink, or Hero Arts...or another company...to see if someone comes really close. If I come across a close match, I'll come back and say something!
Diane (Fionna51)

Being the Queen of Color ID, other than buying all of the other companies' colors that look like they may be close to SU's Lovely Lilac (which I really don't want to do), I really wasn't sure how to determine if another company's ink would come pretty close to matching the SU Lovely Lilac.

I did read somewhere that the Shaded Lilac Distress Ink was pretty close. Would that be something you know you would agree with?

Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2024, 01:43 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I just want to chime in and say that my Lovely Lilac pad, a nearly full reinker AND an unopened reinker went bad in the same way you described. It was a favorite color and I stocked up when it retired. I also noticed anything I stamped in that color of ink changed color over time. It was super obvious because I had paired the stamped image with matching Lovely Lilac cardstock.

If you find a close color match, please report back on this thread because I loved that color!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2024, 02:52 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Will do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2024, 04:59 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

In the distress inks,
Shaded Lilac matches Almost Amethyst.
Dusty Concord matches Elegant Eggplant
Villainous Potion is closest to Concord Crush or Elegant Eggplant.
Wilted Violet matches Lavender Lace. But Lovely Lilac is pretty close to Wilted Violet.

However, I would not use a Distress ink for re-inking your SU pads. They are not the same type of ink.

I have color samples from Papertrey, Concord & 9th, and Tailored Expressions. None are similar to Lovely Lilac. Sorry!

Maybe someone else has samples from other companies that may match for you.

all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2024, 05:48 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you for the info. Yeah, I found out about the Shaded Lilac Distress Ink not matching the Lovely Lilac and instead matching to Almost Amethyst. Fortunately, I tried it on a napkin and not on my stamp pad. According to a Tim Holtz video, he says the distress inks are dye-based whereas the distress OXIDES are pigment-based inks.

Yesterday, I ended up buying a Lovely Lilac on eBay for only half my left arm. I figured it would be better to just buy it and not waste anymore money than I'd already spent on the Shaded Lilac.

But again, thank you for the above info.

Reply With Quote Likes