Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Vagabond dying

Pamela, on Monday you will call Sizzix and and you may speak to acouple of different people but my guess that you will end up with a wonderful lady named Brittney and she will make it all better. (at least that's what happened to me)I found that Sizzix has the very best customer service of anyone I've ever dealt with, and I've been on this earth for quite awhile.Don't give up hope!I can still feel that pop in my chest but that company takes care of it's customers and they have my puchases for life!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

I was on the internet looking for information about broken Vagabonds and came across this thread. I overstuffed my first one after having it for 8 weeks. I called Sizzix and freely admitted it was user error and told them I would be happy to pay for the repairs. They said they don't repair them. I told them I felt it was unethical to make such an expensive machine that is so delicate that one mistake can completely destroy it and then refuse to repair it. They gave me a song and dance about how their attorneys won't let them sell anything electric that someone can get into the electric part at home. I went round and round with them, nicely, and they said to send the machine back and they would look at it and if it couldn't be fixed, they would see what they could do about getting me a new machine. Four weeks later I received a new Vagabond (and kudos to Sizzix for that). Yesterday, just two weeks after receiving a replacement, I heard the dreaded POP again and my new machine is now dead. Yes, it was user error. After checking and rechecking my sandwich, I still had it wrong. I over stuffed the machine and that was the end. My husband and I both had the same idea for a product improvement - it should have a gateway that overstuffed sandwiches couldn't pass through. I really don't think the keys are going to do the trick. It needs to have a smaller opening and if your sandwich is thick enough to damage the machine, it wouldn't pass through.

What I was really looking for on the internet is someone who could repair it, but didn't find anyone.

http://thefunkiejunkie.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2012, 02:38 AM   #43  
Rubber Obsessor

Yes, I was hoping for a repairman too. They service and repair sewing machines and I figured this would be the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2012, 04:16 AM   #44  
Matboard Maniac

There should be a way to repair them, but I was told once you take it apart you can't put it back together. I think that is a bad way to operate! I think we stripped a gear or something along that line. It should be an easy repair to open it up, replace the part and be good to go.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #45  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I wouldn't be too down on Sizzix if they sent me a replacement machine after I broke the first one by not following directions. If I broke a second one by -- again -- not following directions/cramming through too much material, I'd suck it up and figure out how to use the machine properly.

Yes, the Vagabonds require more strict adherence to the sandwich directions than the manual machines (also true of the BS Express). When you add an electronic motor to *any* machine, you are adding complexity that will increase the places/parts where things can go wrong.

Irritation that a machine that doesn't work properly and/or as advertised is one thing, but being upset at a company because their machine broke due to a customer not following directions -- twice -- is not warranted, IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

It's not that I was trying to force something through. I checked and double checked the stack and still it was wrong. My point is 1) it should be repairable, especially when it is so delicate. They have to know that people will break them. I would be happy to pay for repairs because I freely admit that I made a mistake and 2) there should be some sort of gate/guard that won't allow you to put a stack through that is incorrect.

And I am grateful that Sizzix replaced the first one, just sad that it only made it 2 weeks before it broke again. I really loved the machine and hate to go back to cranking again.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Knock on wood-I haven't heard the ominous 'pop'. There should be a way for the 'V' to stop pulling the sandwich through if it 'senses' too big a 'bite'. If it stopped, you could just reverse the direction and redo your sandwich.

Sorry you are having problems.

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 03-26-2012 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Correct spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #48  
Glitter Queen

Hi! Sizzix told me the machines cannot be repaired once they 'pop'. I was immediately told my machine was "overstuffed", before any questions were asked or answers given, and overstuffing isn't covered by the warranty. I was told they would sell me a new machine and I had to pay for shipping to AK. It would have cost more than the gift from my DH! My engineering friends and I feel the design should be upgraded as well. A common and inexpensive break-away mechanism could be installed on these machines so that they stopped if the sandwich was too large. It's been a very frustrating week as I had just gotten my Vagabond! I finally found the Solo Thin Die Adapter in the Lower 48; ordered it shipped to me ($24) and it had just arrived that day. Oh boy, time to create... four runs later, pop. It's back to my C-bug for me ;( How's everybody else doing?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Pamela,
Go to Ellison crafts and talk to Britney. Hopefully she can help you, she just helped me.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #50  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh no!! That's awful! I'm so sorry.We will be going to Wasilla in July. If you're anywhere near there I'll just bring you parts. I wish if the machine thought the sandwich was too big it would just grind to a halt or like you said have a break-away mechanism that's easy to replace. I bet the next model has that. I had purchased a big shot to tie me over till the Vagabond could get settled but now I find I'm using it all of the time. I'm kinda afraid that I'll hear that awful pop again !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #51  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by CleoneView Post
Oh no!! That's awful! I'm so sorry.We will be going to Wasilla in July. If you're anywhere near there I'll just bring you parts. I wish if the machine thought the sandwich was too big it would just grind to a halt or like you said have a break-away mechanism that's easy to replace. I bet the next model has that. I had purchased a big shot to tie me over till the Vagabond could get settled but now I find I'm using it all of the time. I'm kinda afraid that I'll hear that awful pop again !
Thank you, that's very sweet of you! I'm in Anchorage. I talked with Alison at Ellison. I was told it was not repairable after a machine 'pops'. I believe it's more planned obsolescence with the machine costing $150-200 now on sale there's no need to repair it. Just go buy another one! (look where it's made!) Perhaps the next version will correct this flaw. The gauge keys are a band aid. This was my first Sizzix/Ellison machine although I have several other manual machines and a Cricut that I have used successfully for years. I'm not loving my new paperweight!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #52  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
Knock on wood-I haven't heard the ominous 'pop'. There should be a way for the 'V' to stop pulling the sandwich through if it 'senses' too big a 'bite'. If it stopped, you could just reverse the direction and redo your sandwich.

Sorry you are having problems.
Thanks, it just makes sense doesn't it?!! I've been surprised at the lack of instructional materials available for either cutting or embossing using the thin or wafer dies with the machine. I started slow and didn't get fully cut out pieces so slowly worked my way up to a thicker sandwich. Has anybody seen anything printed other than requiring the use of the solo thin adapter? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #53  
Glitter Queen

Many thanks to all of you regarding the trials and tribulations of my new paperweight! Your input is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been reading this thread and have great sympathy for all of you who've had problems with your Vagabond.

I'm glad I've resisted the impulse to get one. As has been said, it doesn't seem right that a machine that is expensive, at least by my terms, should break so easily.

I am still using my little Cuttlebug that I got about 4 or 5 years ago with a coupon at Michaels for about $40! I'm pretty cautious about not overloading it, but if it wears out, which it probably could at some point, I will just replace it.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #55  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh wow! I really just answered another thread where someone was asking what machine to buy for dies and I said I'd get the Vagabond!! Not anymore...like Bugga I have a Cuttlebug that I also purchased at Mike's for $40 5 years ago so I guess if/when it dies I'll just replace it
So sorry for everyone having problems:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Pamela-

Makes you wonder if the manufacturer had a large test group of crafters try using the Vagabond before it was released. I know Tim Holtz raves about it but of course, his name is on it.

I know from experience that Provocraft does the preliminary design, tests it a bit and then, buyer beware, if the new products doesn't work, too bad. Was told I would get credit because the 'All-in-One embossing system kept cracking my various weights of cardstock (sent samples upon request) and was told there wasn't a fix.

I have a 'V', got it for Christmas, and so far love using it. But since I have been reading this thread, I have been overly cautious about trying to put too thick a sandwich through the rollers, have had to remake my sandwiches several times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #57  
Compulsive Stamper

Just purchased my second Vagabond machine, after having ruined the first one by overstuffing it. I thought I was being so careful. Now I am afraid to use it for fear of doing the same thing. There are so many companies making dies now, and not all of them have directions on making the Vagabond sandwich.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #58  
Glitter Queen

The company started shipping gauge keys with the vagabond hoping to solve the problem with overloading the machine. That said after i got my second machine back from the manufacturer I haven't taken it out of the box. I'm too worried about breaking the machine since my one year warranty is almost up. I actually just bought a Big Shot and started using that since you can't really go wrong with a manual feed device. Still two RMAs within one year is a big worrisome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #59  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymaysView Post
Just purchased my second Vagabond machine, after having ruined the first one by overstuffing it. I thought I was being so careful. Now I am afraid to use it for fear of doing the same thing. There are so many companies making dies now, and not all of them have directions on making the Vagabond sandwich.
Contact Sizzix and ask for the gauge keys.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #60  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you. I will contact the manufacturer and request gauge keys, as I am so afraid that I will make the same mistake twice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #61  
Cardstock Collector

My wife got a second hand Vagabond which worked fine for a while then she got the dreaded "Pop" and the machine was dead.
Being an engineer I decided to take it apart to see if I could fix it.(the trick to getting it apart is to remove 4 screws hidden under the "corner protectors" as well as the obvious ones behind the drop down flaps)
Once inside you will find a small printed circuit board with a little yellow gizmo which you will probably find is scorched (hence the pop) I was unable to identify what the gizmo was (thermistor or capacitor is favourite) So I soldered a link across it's 2 terminals and bingo, a working Vagabond.
Perhaps someone who knows more electronics may be able to identify this component and let us all know
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #62  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hopefully the next version will address these issues, they really need to come up with some sort of warning/guide to prevent overstuffing. I'm sticking with my Big Shot, the manual cranking tells me if something is too thick and I can back it out.

But my SIL has hand and shoulder issues and wants a die machine with a motor. She's a quilter and doesn't do any paper crafting so I don't think she would have the same complicated sandwich layers to deal with since she would only use steel rule dies with fabrics. Plus, fabric has some flexibility that paper doesn't.

Last edited by Cartermrc; 11-04-2012 at 08:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #63  
Cardstock Collector

Default New Vagabond?

Is there any rumor out there that a new, improved Vagabond is in the works? Though I love my cuttlebug, I am looking for something I don't need to crank for those more delicate dies that are out there now (Memory Box), that require more than one pass through. Its a killer if you are doing multiple cuts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #64  
Compulsive Stamper

My replacement vagabond died. I was definitely not overstuffing it. I ran a Bigz die twice in one direction and switched to the opposite direction. It ran through very slowly and then stopped. No pop, nothing, just not moving anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

My Vagabond died yesterday It was a Christmas present from my DH last year and he was less than thrilled to hear it. Needless to say, after research led me to this thread, he was was even more disgusted to hear this is such a common problem.

I love my Vagabond and my first reaction was to replace it (hopefully with a Black Friday bargain) and while he never interferes with my crafting purchases, he did ask if I really thought it was a good use of $'s. So I thought about it and decided I could actually get by with a Big Shot (which I found for a great price on Amazon here and put the money I saved towards a Cameo Silhoutte. I would be really mad if I replaced it and it broke again, especially after I was so careful to buy all the other cutting plates/thin die adaptors etc because I wanted to protect my machine. I was cutting another brand at the time, but I did follow all the instructions. think Mr V is just too fussy for me.... :neutral:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #66  
Crimping Master

I have three friends whose Vagabonds have failed. We joke about my Big Shot being the only working machine among us, so I wouldn't have a Vagabond. I realize Tim is making some adjustments so the sandwich is correct, but I want something that I don't have to mess with or send back no matter how good the customer service might be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #67  
Cardstock Collector

Default Positive experience with Sizzix

I contacted Customer Service at Sizzix when I heard the loud pop and my Vagabond stopped working. After describing what had happened, I was told via e-mail that my Vagabond would be replaced. It arrived in less than a week. Now, I use the gauges that came with my new Vagabond and am rechecking the layers of my "sandwich" whenever I try something new. I love my Vagabond more than ever and the bottom line is that Sizzix treated me extremely well when I had a problem and they can now count on me as a loyal customer. I'm glad Tim Holtz chose them for his die-cutting and embossing product lines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #68  
Stampin' Fool

I've only used the recommended sandwiches from Tim Holtz's videos/Sizzix and have never had any problems or issues. Thanks to a thread here on Splitcoast, I too got the keys when they came out, and double check what I put through my "Bond", and so far, so good! Nice to know though the soldering would fix the issue if you couldn't get it replaced. It's such a nice strong machine, I get it out for the big stuff.

I also have a Cuttlebug that just refuses to die, and I must say it's my "go to machine" for quick embossing or those fast, easy die cuts. Isn't it nice we have so many toys to choose from to make our creating such fun?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #69  
Cardstock Collector

Hi all
I too am on my second machine make a really loud noise and nothing would go through, that was a couple of months ago and sizzix did replace it.
This week I decided to use my machine again plugged it in and it went pop now I have a dead machine and only used it twice, I do not think sizzix will replace it again though so now I have bought a big shot this week ekkkk
Two dead machine in my craft room and hubby will try and get in them to fix (I hope)

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #70  
Compulsive Stamper

I am also on my second Vagabond, but am terrified to use it, as my first one "popped" within a month of purchasing it. So I used a coupon from JoAnn's and purchased a Big Shot for $40.00. Best investment I ever made!

Terry Mays
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #71  
Cardstock Collector

I have an old, well used C'Bug that still works beautifully and a new Craftwell eBosser. The eBosser just kicks back out any sandwich that it doesn't like, and therefore avoids the dreaded "pop". I think the price is comparable to the Vagabond, but I don't know about customer service as my machine works perfectly. The eBosser works with all die types, both thick and thin. I was told that it is best to put the dies near the front of the plates, so that it can decide quickly if the sandwich is too thick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #72  
Matboard Maniac

Oh. How I feel your pain. Bug died a few days ago and I am looking for a good deal on the BS,not sure what a good deal even is...except this one but I HAVE most of the things listed.
Sizzix.com - Sizzix.com Big Shot Balancing Act Value Pack

My little Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #73  
Glitter Queen

The motor stopped on my Vagabond in the middle of a die cut. No pop just nothing. I have contacted Sizzix. So far I'm to send e mail a picture of my machine w/ plates caught in it to a them this week-end (had to call them from work Friday). They will then send me the information about how to send it back to them. They will try to fix it or send me a new one for a discounted price. I'am hopeful. Will let you know how this comes out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

Love by Big Shot. Never had a problem with it.

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #75  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayInFLView Post
ing purchases, he did ask if I really thought it was a good use of $'s. So I thought about it and decided I could actually get by with a Big Shot (which I found for a great price on Amazon here and put the money I saved t :neutral:
I paid less than $100 for my Big Shot, so it pays to shop around. It works just fine, but my Cuttlebug worked just fine too. I thought there would be a difference, since there was a difference in price between the two, but both do the job the same, in my experience.

Happy Crafting!
Bahb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #76  
Glitter Queen

Sizzix contacted me this week about my Vagabond; the motor had just stopped working in the middle of a die cut. They sent me "approval" to return my Vagabond to them (my cost $20). Today they said it was not something they could fix but would send me a new one for $125! My machine was old and had a lot of use as I teach classes and die cut for most of my cards. I am very pleased with this outcome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #77  
Cardstock Collector

Default relatively easy to repair

Today i found out the vagabond is relatively easy to repair. My girlies machine broke down. I found two problems.

1 - the bearings in the gear are weak. A technical student can fix that (approx. 2 euro/bearing)
2- the (elco's or condensators, don't know the english word for that) are poor quality. They make the poof sound & smoke. Replace them! (Approx. 50 ct.)

To open up the vagabond just remove all the fancy stuff (screws are under them).
Easy to put everything back in place.
(My compliments to Sizzix for the rest of the parts, the rest is good industrial quality)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #78  
Cardstock Collector

Exclamation DEAD VAGABOND

I stumbled upon this thread and I have to add in 2015 SIZZIX hasn't changed much from a few other post I have read.

What irriates me is that I purchased the machine from Michael's in CT and now they no longer carry the product, I purchased it on clearance the summer of 2014 and now Feb 2015 the machine just went bing bang bonk ;(
I successfully created a heart cut out with a wafer thin die so there shouldnt have been any reason I wouldnt have recreated the same cut with same sandwich pictured on the magnetic platform. So I know am the proud owner of a decorative door stop because I have no clue where the reciept is.....I might add that the store manager and the staff of this particular Michaels remembers me purchasing this machine (I go to this store or DID at least twice a month) so Michaels sends me to Sizzix, Sizzix says sorry pay me $125 dollars for a new one and NO word from Tim Holtz who I emailed twice. NOW what really puts me in a bad mood is that other parts of the US Michaels is still carrying the product but because my State no longer does I still cant return it.
So I see there maybe a way to repair it. This I hope is try but I have to say everyone in this transaction is making money and I out a pretty penny and very few items to show for the Vagabond, I have many bigz dies does anyone know what other machine I can use with better quality with my bigz dies?

Thanks for listening
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #79  
Cardstock Collector

I am now the not so proud owner of a Vagabond door stop....called Ranger (I am a Ranger U graduate so I am able to order through them)...was referred to Sizzix...Sizzix offered a replacement for $125....then offered to repair ($100)....bottom line is that they will not honor the machine past the one year warranty....when I calmly said, "so what you are saying is that you do not stand behind your merchandise.....unless it is less than a year old"...and received the comment "yes"....dismal customer service from a large company that claims to be a partner in education.....shame on Tim Holtz for endorsing such a flawed machine....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #80  
Cardstock Collector

Default He should stand behind his named endorsed products

also he hasn't answered any emails poor PR does Endear me to purchase more of these kind of products May be wait for tag sales or things of this nature and know that when your brakes it brakes and that's it's a disposable item sad but also not a American made product which explains a lot
Reply With Quote Likes