Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with the pink ATG

The tape keeps coming off the roller (the rollers you apply to the cardstock). According to the instructions it's threaded properly. The tape is right at the edge of the rollers so it comes undone easily. There's no othe way to put the tape in the gun so my question is, are they all like that, with the tape on the very edge, or is mine defective? I don't want to have to keep rethreading the tape every time I use this thing.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Are you using real 3M tape? It sounds like maybe it's old/defective tape. I've used my 714 gun for almost 10 years and always use real 3M tape and have *never* had an issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Yes I am. It came with the gun. It's rethreaded and I plan on using it tomorrow so I'll see how it goes. Maybe I'm a little too rough with it and I knock it off the rollers? I'll try being a little more gentle.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

do you have it fairly snug to the rollers and the back up to the collecting spool? I know in the past if I didn't take up the slack with the collecting spool it would give me problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I had the same problem. I started making sure it was wound extra tight and at least 6 times around the collecting spool and it quit doing the sliding thing. I was ready to return it because of the sliding, but making sure it was wound helped a lot. I also try to keep it moved over a little more towards the center of the rollers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

I love my pink ATG......now. When I purchased my gun the tape that came with it seemed to be wrapped loosely. There was talk on SCS about this problem. Many crafters were reporting the same issue, but ONLY with the tape that was included in the package. I have not had any problems at all since that time. Don't give up, use a "M's" coupon and try a new 3M tape roll. Wishing you success!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2011, 02:13 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a problem with mine the last time I reloaded it and it turned out that even though I thought I had it threaded correctly, I had messed up something. I can't remember exactly what I had done wrong, but once I redid it, it worked great again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

On the spool where you load the full roll of tape, (not the take-up roller) be sure you have it pushed down firmly. There should be a little "click" when you push it down. I had a roll of tape that seemed to be a little loosely wound, too. I had to keep opening up the gun and pushing that part down, so the tape would lay flat against the spool. After I used that roll up, I haven't had a problem since, so I think it was probably the tape.

If it keeps happening, and bugs you, you might try another roll of tape.

And like Cheryl says, sometimes it works to just "redo" the whole installation process, even though you think you've done it right. That happens sometimes with my sewing machine, too. It's worth a try.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to make sure you have your tape threaded correctly why not go to YouTube and watch a video to be sure. Also, did you replace the cap thingy that needs to be in place over the uptake tape? My friend forgot to put hers back on when she reloaded her ATG and the tape wouldn't stay on the front roller.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2011, 03:49 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm getting mine today...I've been a bit leery about getting one! Seems like everyone LOVES there's tho! 50% off today on any one item @ Michael's. It just seems SO BIG! Hope I can use it easily!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

Just a note about the videos. Make sure that you are watching the video for the ATG that you have. I have an ATG 50 and the pink ATG from Scotch, and they are threaded a little differently on the take-up spool. The videos are very helpful, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 220 Likes on 135 Posts

Also, just to answer your question about where the tape should be; yes it is supposed to be close to the edge, and when it's threaded correctly it will stay in place. I bet making sure it is tightly wound on the uptake reel will solve your problem, as was suggested in above posts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 06:05 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

I agree with making sure it is tightly wound. I had trouble with this at first and ended up using a small tombow tape runner to secure the end of the tape to the second reel because it kept coming undone when I tried to tighten it. With the help of the smaller tape runner I was able to get it nice and tight and that helped a ton. Also make sure you are putting the little black pieces back in the ATG after the tape is in place. The last thing I can say is to let go of the trigger before you lift from the paper, and try to go in a strait line when the trigger is pulled. I tried to make a curvy line with the ATG and the tape started to slip a bit so I just made shorter more strait lines that were at angles to each other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks. I did the curvy line thing and I'll bet that's what caused my problem. Won't be doing that again. Thanks ladies for all your tips. Love SCS!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #15  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by LorraineBKView Post
Thanks. I did the curvy line thing and I'll bet that's what caused my problem. Won't be doing that again. Thanks ladies for all your tips. Love SCS!!
Glad we could help!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Trouble with ATG gun

I just bought mine this weekend (pink Susan G Koman for the cure) at Michael's.

I was having the same problem with the tape sliding off the rollers. The problem was the 2 tape rolls that came with the gun was warped (high at the top and low at the bottom by the plastic cirlcle) and not a prefectly tight roll. I opened the xtra tape refills I bought to have on hand, and looked at those rolls-they were perfect level and tightly wound. I plan on bringing the rolls back to Mike's next month when I go back. (I live a long ways and I only get to Mike's after my monthly Dr.'s appt.)

If you would like to see pictures, let me know and I will post them or send them to you. Too late at night to do it now LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Cardstock collector?

How did that get under my name? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2011, 04:50 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsCraftyView Post
How did that get under my name? LOL
There are different names attached to your profile based on how many posts you make. There's probably a list somewhere indicating what the different "levels" are. I'm a polyshrink goddess, although I have no idea what polyshrink is ... I'll have to google that one LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2011, 06:00 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
There are different names attached to your profile based on how many posts you make. There's probably a list somewhere indicating what the different "levels" are. I'm a polyshrink goddess, although I have no idea what polyshrink is ... I'll have to google that one LOL!
Polyshrink is shrink plastic, also known as Shrinky Dinks. It's a plastic that, when heated, shrinks to about 1/3 its original size and thickens to about 1/8 of an inch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Polyshrink is shrink plastic, also known as Shrinky Dinks. It's a plastic that, when heated, shrinks to about 1/3 its original size and thickens to about 1/8 of an inch.
My husband will know I truly lost it the day I start melting plastic to put on cards. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

I watched a YouTube video where the scrapper indicated that her 714 looked exactly like the pink breast cancer version, however, the new breast cancer version was lighter to hold. She was at a scrapbookers convention and spoke with the person at the scotch booth - she wanted to know why the breast cancer version was almost half cheaper than the 714 (it's sister). She was told that the pink one is cheaper and lighter because it's geared towards the scrapbooker and doesn't need to be as heavy / durable, where the other guns are for framers. ? This totally confused me as I have no idea why a framer would need a glue / adhesive gun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnie_BView Post
I watched a YouTube video where the scrapper indicated that her 714 looked exactly like the pink breast cancer version, however, the new breast cancer version was lighter to hold. She was at a scrapbookers convention and spoke with the person at the scotch booth - she wanted to know why the breast cancer version was almost half cheaper than the 714 (it's sister). She was told that the pink one is cheaper and lighter because it's geared towards the scrapbooker and doesn't need to be as heavy / durable, where the other guns are for framers. ? This totally confused me as I have no idea why a framer would need a glue / adhesive gun.
I've watched them frame pictures at Hobby Lobby. There are a lot of uses for adhesive when framing. When they attach a mat around a print, and also when they apply the brown paper backing all around the picture after it is framed. If a picture is going to be hanging on someone's wall for possibly years, you don't want the print separating from the mat and slipping down. Same thing with the paper on the back. You want it to stay for good, hence a need for a strong adhesive. And if you are doing this all day long, day in and day out, the tape gun would need to be pretty sturdy for that kind of heavy use.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by joybeView Post
I love my pink ATG......now. When I purchased my gun the tape that came with it seemed to be wrapped loosely. There was talk on SCS about this problem. Many crafters were reporting the same issue, but ONLY with the tape that was included in the package. I have not had any problems at all since that time. Don't give up, use a "M's" coupon and try a new 3M tape roll. Wishing you success!
I had this problem and called the company. They replaced both rolls of tape and I've had no further problems. I do prefer the acid free over the general purpose, I just have less issues with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #24  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I've watched them frame pictures at Hobby Lobby. There are a lot of uses for adhesive when framing. When they attach a mat around a print, and also when they apply the brown paper backing all around the picture after it is framed. If a picture is going to be hanging on someone's wall for possibly years, you don't want the print separating from the mat and slipping down. Same thing with the paper on the back. You want it to stay for good, hence a need for a strong adhesive. And if you are doing this all day long, day in and day out, the tape gun would need to be pretty sturdy for that kind of heavy use.
Thank you for that Bugga! That makes sense!
~Shawnie
Reply With Quote Likes