Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-25-2008, 07:35 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question HELP - ink beading on clear stamps

I love the idea of clear stamps, but I am having trouble actually stamping with them. When I ink the stamps, the ink beads up into little balls and I can't get a smooth impression.

I think this is with Inkadinkado clear stamps that I am having the problem.

I have buffed it on paper to try and make sure there is no residue. Any ideas??? I was thinking about inking it with stazon and just letting it dry on the stamp, to give the dye inks something to hang on to!

HELP!

Lynne :confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi lynne! I had this problem when I first started using inks and stamping. What I have found that works for me is to wash the stamps with soap and water before using them. Another thing I did immediately was went out and bought better ink to use with my clear stamps as recommended here in another thread. Memento Tuxedo Black dye ink and Versafine Onyx Black. BIG DIFFERENCE in how they stamped. If your wanting to use colored inks to stamp with, you may want to try using an eraser on them. It's best to wash them though when you first get them to get any residue and oils that might still be on them from the factory. HTH!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2008, 08:30 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

This is one (of the many) reasons I don't like acrylic stamps. Anyway... I find that if I rub a white eraser on the stamps, this helps remove any of the manufacturing residue left on them and this makes a big difference. Also, if you ink it up, stamp on scrap paper, repeat, repeat, repeat a few times, this will help condition the stamp and it will take ink better.

I find that pigment and chalk inks work better than dye inks because the ink will cling to the stamp better. But I would not suggest that you use stazon and let it dry on there. There is a lot of talk that the solvent in stazon eventually eats away at the polymers and will shorten the life of your stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2008, 08:35 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnephelpsView Post
I love the idea of clear stamps, but I am having trouble actually stamping with them. When I ink the stamps, the ink beads up into little balls and I can't get a smooth impression.

I have buffed it on paper to try and make sure there is no residue. Any ideas??? I was thinking about inking it with stazon and just letting it dry on the stamp, to give the dye inks something to hang on to!

HELP!

A manufacturer in the UK gave me this advice and it works very well for me.

She told me to GENTLY rub the surface on the stamp with an emery board to take off the shine. Do this ONLY before you use the stamp the VERY FIRST TIME! No need to keep doing it every time you use the stamp.
I usually do this, ink the stamp and stamp the image to see if I did it well enough. If I still get "beading" or uneven coverage (especially with a solid image), I use the emery board again. This usually does the trick.

Just be sure not to go overboard and "sand" away your whole stamp!

I hope you have success with this! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I never tried the emery board.. thanks for the tip. I have tried the eraser, and had no luck. So now when I need to use a clear stamp, I use the Pallette Hybrid inks. They work like a charm on the clear stamps.. from the very first image on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Versafine Onyx black works for me!

Holly

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I find that I generally don't have this problem if I use chalk inks.

Quote:

HELP!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 06:07 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always use a white eraser or a very fine sandpaper on them until they turn cloudy. They hold ink perfectly. I prefer the sandpaper as the eraser leaves little shreds of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Location: Stuck somewhere between school, wrestling practice, gymnastics, and basketball! Go COLTS!!

I ink mine up with a versamark pad just before using the color. No problem with the image. It was a suggestion I read on here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Palette or chalk inks are wonderful with clear stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Post Making progress!

Thanks for all these replies - SplitCoast Stampers is such a GREAT resource!

First, I do a lot of clear embossing, and I am using VersaMark first, then a dye ink on the stamp, and still getting lots of beading. I should have said that in the first post.

I have washed all my clear sets with Dawn dishwashing liquid. I chose that because it is such a good degreaser, and the new stamps do have a slightly oily feel when fresh out of the package. I actually left them attached to the base sheet while I did this. For anyone else - a word from the wise: Do this on the NON-garbage disposal side of your kitchen sink, in case you lose one... ;)

That has helped a little bit on some and a lot on others. I am going to try the white eraser idea next.

I am a little afraid of the emery board idea, as most of these are solid images. Do you have any problems with introducing scratches into the solid images? I would want to inadvertently wind up with "distressed" looking stamps! Are we talking fingernail file, or sanding blocks like they sell for shrink plastic? Or is it fine sandpaper from the hardware store?

Feel free to be EXTREMELY specific!!

Thanks, Lynne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

This is the reason I tend to stay away from Inkadinkado stamps as much as I like their images. I think they are made of vinyl, not polymer. You can use chalk ink, but I find the ink to be a little thick. The best solution is Versafine ink. Perfect, detailed images every time.

Designing for my Stamp BOX | Caardvarks | Purple Cows
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 02:30 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

First, I do a lot of clear embossing, and I am using VersaMark first, then a dye ink on the stamp, and still getting lots of beading. I should have said that in the first post.

I have washed all my clear sets with Dawn dishwashing liquid. I chose that because it is such a good degreaser, and the new stamps do have a slightly oily feel when fresh out of the package. I actually left them attached to the base sheet while I did this. For anyone else - a word from the wise: Do this on the NON-garbage disposal side of your kitchen sink, in case you lose one... ;)

That has helped a little bit on some and a lot on others. I am going to try the white eraser idea next.

I am a little afraid of the emery board idea, as most of these are solid images. Do you have any problems with introducing scratches into the solid images? I would want to inadvertently wind up with "distressed" looking stamps! Are we talking fingernail file, or sanding blocks like they sell for shrink plastic? Or is it fine sandpaper from the hardware store?

Thanks, Lynne
The emery board I use is a regular one for fingernails. I use Revlon but I do not think it really matters. I use the fine side which is the one without the writing on it.

Do not go "ALL OUT" and sand like there is "No tomorrow" LOL!
I just go GENTLY on the surface so that it does not look shiny anymore. Then I clean off the surface with a damp paper towel so that the grit from the emery board is removed. You will then see the difference between the stamps you have done this to and all the rest. The one you used the emery board on will look dull, not shiny or you might say cloudy. I do it to the solid stamps, especially. If you go gently, you will see little lines (sort of a scratch line ) but it never came out on the paper that I stamped. Sometimes it does not get rid of all the beading on the first try. So I try again. I do this as soon as I get a new clear stamp and test it out on scrap paper. This way I can store it and know that it is ready whenever I need it. :-D

Hope this helps a little more and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I have not bought any Palette stamp pads yet as I have not seen re-inkers. I am always afraid of running dry if I don't have a re-inker. Am I missing something, or do they just not offer refills for those pads?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I started sanding my clear stamps with a foot sander, and it has made all the difference in the world.

I didn't like using an eraser because it just made a mess when I did.

I needed to make a card on night and couldn't find any sand paper, but I found my pedicure kit and it had one of those foot smoother with a handle. Works like a charm and now that baby lives on my craft desk!

Mine looks a lot like the pic below, but mine isn't as colorful.
Attached Thumbnails
HELP - ink beading on clear stamps-pedicure-sander.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2008, 06:47 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
I always use a white eraser or a very fine sandpaper on them until they turn cloudy. They hold ink perfectly. I prefer the sandpaper as the eraser leaves little shreds of it.
I use this same technique and it works great. Once I have used the eraser on them, I clean them on a stamp scrubber to remove all the eraser rubbings. Once I have finished cleaning all the stamps, I just rinse the scrubber under running water and that seems to remove all the eraser remains.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2008, 05:13 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Thanks, Lynne
Us a strainer when washing them in the sink. I always use a fine sand paper even on the solid images. Just goe over it lightly until it looks cloudy. They always stamp perfect after that for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2022, 08:17 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you for the tips about new stamps beading up when inked. I'm a newbie to cardmaking and am loving this new (to me) technique. BTW my background is china painting plus I am a master porcelain doll artist. Working with paper is FUN! So much to learn from this forum.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
fl_beachbum (12-18-2022)