Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-13-2020, 05:32 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
Question Help! I need to buy a new printer...

Help. My printer died and I need a new one. There are so many on the market now. Please share your advice.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 05:53 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

What are you using it for? How much are you wanting to spend? I'm not an expert, but answers to those questions may help us to help you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 07:51 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Post Needs/Wants

Thanks, you made me think! I want the printer to print in black and color. I want to be able to print sentiments on cardstock. I'd like to get digital stamps and to print them out. I can spend no more than $175. I need a fairly small printer for on my desk top.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Sharon58 (06-30-2023)
Old 05-14-2020, 07:51 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

wow - I need a new printer too. I'd like one with only a black cartridge and a color cartridge... don't like the new ones with one cartridge for each color - my brother had one and hated it. I use mine mostly for copies (recipes, church bulletins, addresses, tax papers, etc). I have an older Dell 944 and love it, but the last three times I ordered ink cartridges on line they have NOT worked. Very frustrating. Stores as well as Dell no longer carry what I need since this printer is so old. (not hooked up to a computer - it's in my craft room).

Thank you for any advice as well !
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

After procrastinating for ages, I finally said goodbye to my ancient Cannon Pixma and bought a Pixma TS9521C. The C at the end means it’s meant for crafters since it takes cardstock and 12x12 paper, not that I’ll use it for 12x12 much, if at all. 

Yet it’s smaller than my old printer that didn’t take 12x12. It also has loaded some already designed papers.

I purchased it by phone directly from Cannon; they gave a discount since my last printer was a Cannon. They’ll also check if other discounts apply.

Part of the reason I hoped to buy Cannon again is because their customer support is located in the U.S. in Virginia. They have been very helpful over the years. Once a rep helped me for over an hour while I tried to get something to work using an iPad, PC and the old Pixma. The drivers were out of date and the rep figured out a workaround, and had me upload a driver not meant for it.

Sales support (different people) can be excellent or average, I’ve found. When I bought the printer this time the first rep didn’t seem very engaged so I excused myself and called back to get someone less tired.

I considered getting a color laser and the sales rep told me something that made me rule it out, and for the life of me can’t remember what it was. It’s not that a laser isn’t the right choice for others though.

PIXMA TS9521C Wireless Inkjet All-In-One Printer | Canon Online Store|Canon Online Store
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2020, 10:11 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I just bought a Epson Wide Format XP-15000 printer if anyone else is looking for one (it's in the $300 range). I love it!

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 01:46 PM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have The Canon Pixma 9521c and I love it. It's small, easy to use and will print 12x12. I've had it for about 3 years and it works great. I had a lot of wireless connection problems with an Epson and and HP. None with this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 06:00 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Money Saver HP Products

Hi, I am a big fan of HP. I have had their printer that is at least 10yrs. Great printing. The one item that I wanted to do is print on card stock, will not work on this printer.
May I suggest looking at Consumer Reports for the latest reviews on printers. There you may find really good info on printers.
Many Blessings, Bev
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 10:10 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Location: In beautiful Blue Mountains National Park, West of Sydney, NSW, Australia

Just another observation - the cheaper the printer the dearer the ink cartridges are. So do your calculations including both the upfront cost and the ongoing consumables. We bought a dearer printer after investigation. Our calculations found it was a far more economical option over the long term.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2020, 03:28 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

I have a Cannon MG 3200series...cost $69 at BJ’s. The ink is a color and a black cartridge separate which I like because I do very little color printing. I can sit in one room and type whatever and hit print and it prints in the other room. It won’t print on heavy cardstock but no problem on 80#. It scans and prints with no problem! I’ve had for about 4 years and have had no problem. I would not hesitate to buy again...at that price how can you miss?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2021, 02:31 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile Bought a printer!

Just wanted to post that I bought the Canon Pixma 9521c that so many have recommended. Love it and find it does just what I want it to do.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2021, 08:32 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I recently replaced my old HP printer which I had for 7+ years because the rollers finally gave out.
After reading some reviews I replaced it with an all in one Canon Prixma TR4520, which was a little over $100. Compared to the HP model I was using it was a piece of junk made out of cheap plastic and the color prints were very poor quality. Needless to say I returned it to the store.
I went back to HP models and purchased a HP Envy Photo 7155. luv it! It scans and prints ( I don't need to fax) and prints beautifully on photo paper and cardstock and it's insta-ink ready.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy...?skuId=5962000
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2021, 09:26 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No suggestions to offer, but maybe a bit of advice based on my past experiences.

Look for a color printer that uses color ink ONLY when printing in color. My previous model, a Canon Pixma (can't recall the number) also used up my color ink while printing in black & white. And those color cartridges were costly!

I gave up color printing. I figure if I have a need, then I'll just put the files on a USB and pay the extra cost to have it printed at Staples, Office Depot or someplace similar. I replaced my printer with a Brother laser printer, mainly because most of my printing is text based. The toner seems to last FOREVER! And now that I have a laser printer, I'm thinking of getting a lower-cost laminating machine so I can doing a bit of foil work on my cards.

Edited to add: I picked my Brother model because it has both a paper feed tray AND the ability manually feed 80-110 lb. cardstock with minimal bending. Check reviews. I kept coming across complaints about cardstock jamming in some models. Not a big deal for most people but for card makers, it's a must-have.

Last edited by melissa59; 01-09-2021 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by melissa59:
Jannarama (06-05-2023), Paula in GA (02-12-2022)
Old 01-09-2021, 10:12 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

In my research I also checked the cost of ink refills which range from reasonable to very pricey. Epson printers only accept Epson refills which are pricey.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2021, 05:27 PM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BevieBeeView Post
Hi, I am a big fan of HP. I have had their printer that is at least 10yrs. Great printing. The one item that I wanted to do is print on card stock, will not work on this printer.
May I suggest looking at Consumer Reports for the latest reviews on printers. There you may find really good info on printers.
Many Blessings, Bev
i, too, have been an HP printer user/fan for more years than I care to count. Big wake up call a month ago when I went to replace a 5 year old printer that quit working. The only HP printers I could find all required you to sign up for their ink-plan (supposedly you could opt out of plan, but it looked like a nightmare to do). The ink plan locks the printer into ONLY using cartridges that HP sends you - printer will not operate with cartridges you purchase and install.
I sent the new HP printer back after discovering this glitch and got on EBay and found a new never used HP printer like I had that crapped out. It cost 3 times what the original printer cost, but was right in line with new HP printers with same feature. Advantage to me was that I was able to plug it in, use cartridges I had on hand and didn’t have to jump through hoops with the HP auto ink cartridge program. My printer is not the latest with all the wing-bang features, but it prints a darn fine color copy like a pro. My buy-the-same-old-printer solution was old-school and low tech but it worked for me.

Hope you find the printer you are dreaming of, that being said, be wise about the mandatory programs that some manufacturers are tacking onto the purchase of their product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2021, 06:16 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

I have always liked HP printers but grumbled every time I had to buy new ink cartridges. Tried getting them filled at Costco and it was cheaper, but I didn't think the ink lasted as long. Finally looked here for recommendations and discovered insta-ink was the way for us to go for our printing usage on our HP. If you do much printing and like it in color, it's a good price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2021, 07:30 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockybetaView Post
I have always liked HP printers but grumbled every time I had to buy new ink cartridges. Tried getting them filled at Costco and it was cheaper, but I didn't think the ink lasted as long. Finally looked here for recommendations and discovered insta-ink was the way for us to go for our printing usage on our HP. If you do much printing and like it in color, it's a good price.
its only a good idea if you like to be totally controlled by HP.
We looked into pricing for the type of printing we do, which can be erratic at different times of the year. At a time we would do lots of printing, HP would “review our print needs” and up the cost of the monthly charge, automatically, regardless of whether we wanted that to happen.

Maybe its a generational thing. I prefer to be in charge of my own purchase, when to spend and what to spend it on. I am unwilling to give a private company the ability to decide what I need, when I need it at any price they determine. If at any time you cancel the contract, your printer becomes a useless piece of equipment - cartridges you buy on your own will not work in printer. To me that is a deal breaker.
Giving up control for convenience is a personal choice and it is one that should not be taken lightly, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2021, 07:10 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm sorry that happened to you. We haven't had any bad experiences so far, but we do have a pretty consistent usage and I guess we'll see what happens if, and when we decide to discontinue the program.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2022, 10:51 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Which Brother laser printer did you buy?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2022, 12:53 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I don't know what printer melissa59 got, but I just got a Brother mono laser because I was fed up with the Pixma DH had bought. It's been acting up and I was down to my last set of refills, so it was time to say goodbye. ( I also got a colour inkjet 3 in one, because my old scanner wasn't compatible with Windows 11. Originally I had been planning for and researched a colour laser, but once I needed a new scanner too I rethought things. I had the space, and the inkjet will print better photos.).

I went for the Brother HL2310D, because it offered a manual feed straight through which will take a reasonable weight. We use gsm as the standard here, and I don't have on hand the comparisons for weight in lb, but it takes all but my heaviest regular-use card. Since it says it will take bond paper, I will at some stage get round to trying watercolour paper in it. I haven't had it long enough to give much of a report, but so far so good.
HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Jannarama (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 06:20 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I have an HP Envy Photo 7155. It does a good job printing on specialty papers (rice paper, tissue, tracing paper, photo, acetate and canvas), as well as 110# index and 80# cardstock.
An added bonus is it prints double-sided. I also subscribed to HP Instant ink which is great. I don't have to worry about running out of ink and buying replacement cartridges if they are in stock.
They automatically send replacement cartridges when my supply starts to run low so I'm not without ink.

Last edited by Bohodiva; 02-10-2022 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2022, 05:10 AM   #22  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
I have an HP Envy Photo 7155. It does a good job printing on specialty papers (rice paper, tissue, tracing paper, photo, acetate and canvas), as well as 110# index and 80# cardstock.
An added bonus is it prints double-sided. I also subscribed to HP Instant ink which is great. I don't have to worry about running out of ink and buying replacement cartridges if they are in stock.
They automatically send replacement cartridges when my supply starts to run low so I'm not without ink.
That was my first choice of inkjet, but it was out of stock and they didn't even have a lead time, they said they only know when they'll have HP in stock when they arrive .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2023, 06:07 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Can I resurrect this post? The color printer that I inherited from my husband has decided to only do black ink suddenly, I only do maybe 20 pages a month - on cardstock but need color as I get all specific and match up the rgb codes with the cardstock I've used. Anyone have any new recommendations.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:15 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneywedView Post
Can I resurrect this post? The color printer that I inherited from my husband has decided to only do black ink suddenly, I only do maybe 20 pages a month - on cardstock but need color as I get all specific and match up the rgb codes with the cardstock I've used. Anyone have any new recommendations.
Thanks in advance.
I print alot so I got 2 echo tank printers. One from Canon and one 13x19 from Epson (ET-8550) and I love them both. I've had the Canon G3060 the longest since 12/2021 and am barely 1/4 of the way through the original ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2023, 06:16 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Would you rGB codes if you have a list somewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Disneywed (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 04:09 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I have it on the home pc, will post in the next day or so. THANKS!
browpr (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 11:32 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

My hubby has a Brother Laser printer and it's great for just black inked items such as words and line art. The good thing about laser printers is that the laser image doesn't smear when you color on it.

Since his printer is connected to our wireless network, I can print from my computer, to his printer, and go get it. His does auto-duplex which my computer doesn't have, but mine has an easy-enough way of printing on the backside--even has a diagram on the computer of how to insert the pages correctly when duplex printing.

I purchased a Canon G3260 about a year ago which has black ink that doesn't smear (pigment ink), and then regular red, yellow and blue ink--these are bottles that can can refill the ink reservoir which is easily seen from the front of the printer. That's one of the main reasons I bought this printer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2023, 10:34 AM   #28  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Your printer may be clogged. We have a Canon G6000 series and about a year ago it suddenly stopped printing in color (but continued to print in black). After a little digging on the internet, I decided to try unclogging it and, yes, it does use a fair amount of ink to do so, but it did the trick.

To prevent future clogging, I now print a few pages in color every month (before, I was barely using colored ink, which is what caused the clogging).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2023, 11:35 AM   #29  

Received 649 Likes on 368 Posts

Does anyone have the E-2850 eco printer (Epson) and. if so, does it print watercolor paper. The Epson I have now does print watercolor paper but I am tired of buying ink cartridges.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2023, 11:36 AM   #30  

Received 649 Likes on 368 Posts

Does anyone have the E-2850 eco printer (Epson) and. if so, does it print watercolor paper. The Epson I have now does print watercolor paper but I am tired of buying ink cartridges.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes