Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-05-2005, 03:00 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! Got Sizzix, wanted Zip'E Mate

Okay, I'm well aware there are more dire things going on in the world than this, but I do really need help! I've been eyeing the Zip' E Mate for some time now. But they really are not locally available to me, only online. I have read all the posts regarding the ZEM vs. Sizzix and figured I'd go with the ZEM because of it being lighter (I go to Crop Nights) and the flexability of using other companies dies.......

That being said, I bought a Sizzix yesterday with my 50% off coupon at Michael's. I haven't opened the box to play with it yet because I'm afraid I'll regret not getting the ZEM. Accucut is currently offering 20% off and free shipping on the whole order which makes the machine $72, and I just paid $45 for the Sizzix.

I'm driving myself crazy here! I plan on using tag and "office supply" shape dies to scrapbook with. Can anyone help me decide if I should just keep the Sizzix or return it and get the ZEM?!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2005, 03:06 PM   #2  
One TOT Mom

Which Sizzix did you get? The side kick or the big one?

I LOVE my sizzix, but.....I don't travel with mine - I have the big one. I like it b/c you can use the big and little templates with it, smash bottle caps, dry emboss with it......

I am very happy with it and for the price....can't beat it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2005, 04:13 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I got the big one. How do you smash bottle caps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2005, 05:03 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I would go with the ZEM...it's much more versatile and it weighs ALOT less...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2005, 05:11 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I should have mentioned that I recently got the Quickutz package from QVC, which takes care of those smaller items (it came w/bottlecap die). I'm wondering if that's the bottle cap AmandaMay is talking about?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2005, 05:24 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by looptloop
I should have mentioned that I recently got the Quickutz package from QVC, which takes care of those smaller items (it came w/bottlecap die). I'm wondering if that's the bottle cap AmandaMay is talking about?
I got the impression AmandaMay puts actual bottle caps into her Sizzix and flattens them. Is this what the bottlecap die from Quickutz does?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2005, 05:39 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 1,411 Likes on 707 Posts

I love my Sizzix. Have you checked out their website? They are coming out with a ton of cute little dies now. I also have the little Sizzix too and it's perfect for travelling! Sissix also sells adaptors and they work great with Quickcutz and other dies! They work with little Sizzlit machine so they travel too!

I'm not sorry I bought Sizzix. They are keeping up just fine with the other companies! The website also offers terrific coupons and bargains if you sign up for their newsletter. And the catalog is so fun to look at!

Good luck with your decision...everyone will have different opinions!
Old 09-05-2005, 05:42 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

And the dry embossing is really fun with it too! They come in such cute little clear folders!!
Old 09-05-2005, 05:51 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
I got the impression AmandaMay puts actual bottle caps into her Sizzix and flattens them. Is this what the bottlecap die from Quickutz does?
No, the quickutz die is in the shape of a flattened bottlecap. I watched Lisa Bearnson fold the edges down to make it look more like a real one. I thought maybe there was a form to fold the edges down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2005, 06:52 PM   #10  
One TOT Mom

Quote:

Originally Posted by looptloop
Sorry...I had to watch Prison Break! I use actual bottle caps - the big metal ones. You get the Sizzix System Convertor (the piece you also need to use Sizlets), pop it in, protect the jagged side of the bottle cap with cardstock, and squish it! I love it b/c they are flat but still metal. They are great to also use a a tab (like you would a file folder tab) for pullout cards, etc.!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2005, 07:35 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Toooo cute!!! I just hope I live long enough to do all of these things!! I'm still soooo on the fence about keeping the Sizzix. Any one use ZEM dies on their Sizzix?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2005, 08:14 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I have both, and love both Sizzix and Zip-e-Mate!!! Let me tell you, for dry embossing the sizzix embossing folders are THE BEST!!! The images come out perfectly. That's my favorite thing about it!
For versatility, I don't think you can go wrong with the Sizzix, but you are going to need an adapter (15.00) for using the embossing folders...but it works great. I haven't tried smashing bottle caps yet, but NOW I will!
I haven't used my ZEM for a while, and yes, it is lighter to carry....and the ZEM has an awesome alphabet that embosses the letter in the center and punches it out in a circle all at once! It's beautiful!
Bottom line, GET BOTH!!
Hugs,
Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2005, 08:56 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Hehehe! I would get both except my dh and I are working on a 'budget' now. I'm sure that will take some of the fun away! I'm feeling guilty to take the Sizzix back if I can use other dies in it. I am seriously loosing sleep over this! My dh said to get which ever one I would be the most happy with, which for the longest time was the Zip'E Mate. I just couldn't waste that 50% off coupon at Michael's though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 03:17 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a convertor for the large Sizzix to be able to use Quickutz dies in my machine. I have seen convertors over here that enable you to use any die in your machine, don't know if you can get them over there yet.

Are Zip-e-Mate dies the same size as Quickutz? If so, then I would be able to use my convertor.

The thing that would convince me to go for Sizzix I think is their dies. They are absolutely gorgeous and much larger than Quickutz.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 05:56 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

I have not tried the ZEM dies in my Sizzix yet, but with the adaptors (10 for $4) you can use any die. The adaptors last awhile too!
Old 09-06-2005, 06:54 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Where do you get the adaptors? I was on Sizzix's website and it says not to use any other companies dies in the machine (of course) so they must not be something they sell on the website, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 09:43 AM   #17  
spv
Rubber Obsessor

here are the adpters that everyone is talking about:

http://www.sizzix.com/shop.cfm?funct...umber=38-9710&

they were made by Sizzix to be used with "other companies" wafer thin dies...so any of the thin metal dies (Quickutz or Accucut) can be used in the Sizzix machine or the Sidekick...with the big machine you purchased, you need to have the adapters (38-9710) and the converter (38-9000) in place to use the "other brand" dies...if you have a Sidekick, you just need the adapters...if you go to the Accucut website, they claim the zipe' slims (a wood back die not thin metal) can be used in the big Sizzix machine (Sizzix says not to use other dies in their machine so it is up to you to decide if the you want to try the zipe' slims in your machine)...

I have not used the zipe' mate but it sounds like you can use any die in the system (although Sizzix will also say not to use their dies in any other machine so again you need to decide if you want to do that)...I have a Sizzix machine and a Sidekick and LOVE them both...I like the size of the big dies, the alphabets and the Sizzlits...I use Quickutz dies (with the adapter) in my Sidekick and they cut great...it is a turn of the handle and is very easy...my suggestion to you is to look at the dies at both companies and decide which ones you would use/want most...when it comes down to it, the machine is really the cheap part...all your money gets wrapped up in dies...yes my Sizzix machine is heavy, but it is a real work horse...it is not very portable, but I take what I want to use on project and leave the rest at home...I have the carrying case and it fits in there great...I don't think you can go wrong with either machine...I like the fact that I can get the Sizzix dies with coupons (Michael's and Joanns)...if you watch the Sizzix website they have deals all the time and go to creativexpress.com they just had a 50% off coupon and are now running a 40% off coupon...so I like that I can get Sizzix stuff on sale...don't know if you can get the ZEM stuff on sale...one LSS has the dies but they are never on sale so all purchases are full price...Accucut may run specials but I don't know...so is Sizzix cheaper in the long run? maybe that might help you decide.

Hope this helps a little...Good luck...if you keep your Sizzix machine I am sure you will love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2005, 12:00 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:

Originally Posted by spv
here are the adpters that everyone is talking about:

http://www.sizzix.com/shop.cfm?funct...umber=38-9710&

they were made by Sizzix to be used with "other companies" wafer thin dies...so any of the thin metal dies (Quickutz or Accucut) can be used in the Sizzix machine or the Sidekick...with the big machine you purchased, you need to have the adapters (38-9710) and the converter (38-9000) in place to use the "other brand" dies...if you have a Sidekick, you just need the adapters...if you go to the Accucut website, they claim the zipe' slims (a wood back die not thin metal) can be used in the big Sizzix machine (Sizzix says not to use other dies in their machine so it is up to you to decide if the you want to try the zipe' slims in your machine)...

I have not used the zipe' mate but it sounds like you can use any die in the system (although Sizzix will also say not to use their dies in any other machine so again you need to decide if you want to do that)...I have a Sizzix machine and a Sidekick and LOVE them both...I like the size of the big dies, the alphabets and the Sizzlits...I use Quickutz dies (with the adapter) in my Sidekick and they cut great...it is a turn of the handle and is very easy...my suggestion to you is to look at the dies at both companies and decide which ones you would use/want most...when it comes down to it, the machine is really the cheap part...all your money gets wrapped up in dies...yes my Sizzix machine is heavy, but it is a real work horse...it is not very portable, but I take what I want to use on project and leave the rest at home...I have the carrying case and it fits in there great...I don't think you can go wrong with either machine...I like the fact that I can get the Sizzix dies with coupons (Michael's and Joanns)...if you watch the Sizzix website they have deals all the time and go to creativexpress.com they just had a 50% off coupon and are now running a 40% off coupon...so I like that I can get Sizzix stuff on sale...don't know if you can get the ZEM stuff on sale...one LSS has the dies but they are never on sale so all purchases are full price...Accucut may run specials but I don't know...so is Sizzix cheaper in the long run? maybe that might help you decide.

Hope this helps a little...Good luck...if you keep your Sizzix machine I am sure you will love it.

What she said, LOL!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 12:14 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks everyone for your great info! I figured that since I was driving myself crazy that I had made a bad decision (that whole little voice in your head thing). I felt that if I was okay with the Sizzix, I would have already been using it and at peace with that. I've spent countless hours researching both machines and I'm sure would have been just fine with either. I just decided to bite the bullet and get the ZEM, it was the one I had really been eyeing (I got purple). I'm feeling better already! Anyone want a brand new Sizzix?!!
Reply With Quote Likes