Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! comparing diecut/embossing machines

I am wanting to get a die cut machine and live somewhere no scrapbook stores. The cuttle bug seems weak to me. Have seen wizard and it looks sturdy. The Sizzix big shot/kick says it cuts through heavier stuff. I hate the coluzzle manual cutting and cannot make decorative scissors work for me...

I want multi purpose. Would love new computerized Inspiration but way too much $$. Want something that can cut through heavier materials ie chipboard, works smoothly (have carpal tunnel), embosses and cuts, uses a variety of dies (they all have cute ones) and inspires me (ie can use found items to emboss). Please help me So far any advice I have seen on this site is amazing!!!!! Definitely has to fit nestabilities- I am stoked about acquiring those babies!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Judy,

I have the CB, and like it (used it for CB dies/embossing folders, Ellison & Quickcuts dies/embossing folders). I started using it for my Nestabilities dies, but didn't like the embossing effect (very shallow, even with CS shims, etc). I will say that the CB was hard for me to operate with the Nestabilities (I had to put a lot of effort into it). I went through 4 B Plates (part of the sandwich required to cut/emboss) in 3 months (previously never broke one). I bought the Wizard last year on sale, and really love it. I've only tried the Nestabilities in it (fabuloso - very easy to operate), but it is designed to work with all dies. The CB is quite heavy (I actually dropped it and broke my foot -yes, crafting can be a dangerous hobby), whereas the Wizard is much lighter and easier for me to store. Just my 2cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I am a Spellbinders Wizard fan.

I used to have a Sizzix (old red press type one) But when the Wizard came out and I saw that they made it to be multi-functional. I was sold. I have one of the originals. LOVE IT!

The Wizard is just about 4 lbs and made of metal. It was created to do more then just die cut. It embosses brass stencils, Fiskar's Texture Plates, CB Folders, Sizzix Folders. It die cuts all the competitors dies including the Sizzix Originals. The Wizard smashes bottle caps and can cut chipboard and metal foils. These are just a few things the Wizard can do.

It has the most pressure going through the rollers out of all the die cut machines. It is made with a ratchet type handle. So if you use the Wizard properly, all you need to do is push the handle up and down. The handle does all the work.

Last edited by Jovi; 01-10-2008 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: DT Member / promotional posting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 07:28 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Check out the Cuttlebug FAQ linked in my signature. Lots of good info there, and helpful CuttleBug ladies will answer your questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE my BigShot!!!

Cheryl Kay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I got my CB yesterday and I am loving it. I am using it for a binder and paper clip swap. Check out the SNEAK PEEP of my binders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 08:03 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I hear that some people with carpel tunnel can't use the Wizard. Something about the cranking hurts. It also shoots the die out at the end. I have carpel tunnel and I own the Big Kick. Love it! I can use the huge dies, different brands and thick foams/papers with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I just found out about the big kick today from a phone call I made to a scrapbook store. She also recommended if wrist problems the big shot. I am not sure how much repetitive motion I will use for cutting but should think about it. Do you know who sells BS online for a good price and has good info???? Now more into equation LOL...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2008, 10:22 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

If you're wanting something that cuts through thicker materials and is still a great price, I'd go for the Big Shot. I have one and I really like it, it does seem sturdier to me than the Cuttlebug. My thinking on that is the handle on the Big Shot is a little bigger and I don't have to worry about folding down the sides of the CB. When I looked at my aunt's CB it seemed like the platform was not as big as the BS. Anyway...I also mention the BigShot because costco.com has it for a super price right now, check it out http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2008, 06:35 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I did a lot of research before purchasing, and I personally decided to get the Big Shot (same machine as the Big Kick, just a different color). I really love it. I don't have carpal tunnel, but I am an Administrative Assistant by day who types a lot, but find that if I stamp and use my machine at night after a long day of typing, I don't have any problems with my Big Shot. I think it feels nice and sturdy, and has a wonderful multipurpose platform (so you don't have to worry so much about different shims - some Big Shot bundles/kits come with this, others you have to purchase it separately) and it allows you to use all different kinds of dies, embossing folders, etc. It does take up more space than the Cuttlebug, though, so I guess it really depends on what features are most important to you! HTHs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2008, 07:28 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I have the Big Kick (same as the Big Shot) and I love it! I also looked around A LOT before I bought mine. Mine came with the platform, so I didn't have to buy any extras to get started. So far, I have used sizzix (thick and sizzlits) dies and embossing, cuttlebug dies and embossing folders, quickutz, and revolution dies, as well as some brass embossing plates - and all work great! It is very sturdy and lots of fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2008, 08:13 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

I read a lot about what was out there including the comparison that JulieHRR did on her blog early last year since she had a number of them in hand. I chose the Big Shot(BigKick) and have been extremely pleased. Easy to turn, really stable......no tipping. If you have limited space then it's footprint may be a little too big.....I think the CB is half the footprint when the tray is up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I looked up on the sites online for big shot and was extremely disappointed... it is hard to find info/die images etc. Found on sizzex website but it really says nothing about the machine. I am a little worried about a machine from england that I cannot find info online fairly easy in this day and age. Wizard's website was out of date but amazingly informative. Cuttlebug because popular in canada easier to find info and also they are popular right now so more people talking about them. Here in Canada they seem to sell wizard online cosco but the big shot in states...

For those that have cut and embossed with cuttlebug, does it cut through "nicely" regular size chipboard. hooked-2 says she can cut through cardboard from cereal boxes with the wizard and I am wondering if that is the thickness is the same for cuttlebug. I like idea of cutting regular chipboard, grunge board, foam, felt, shrink plastic etc...

oh I wish I had the funds for the inspiration- it looks amazing!!!! I find it very depressing that if I had 600.00 I could cut any shape I could draw or any font with a computerized system but these manual systems cost 65.00 per alphabet, very quickly adding up to as much or more... Does anyone else feel as frustrated in the confusing info out there for die cutting? I tried making a pro and con sheet but I have read so much conflicting info on all. And some people compare one vs another but cannot seem to find same info to compare various brand names...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I was lucky and had a CB given to me as a pressie. Love it. It will use the Nestabilities that I've just bought, my Quickutz dies etc. My girlfriend has the Bigshot, she's really happy with it. It does take up more room to store though.
Another friend has the Wizard and just swears by it.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 06:56 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by judyjrfmView Post
I looked up on the sites online for big shot and was extremely disappointed... it is hard to find info/die images etc. Found on sizzex website but it really says nothing about the machine. I am a little worried about a machine from england that I cannot find info online fairly easy in this day and age. Wizard's website was out of date but amazingly informative. Cuttlebug because popular in canada easier to find info and also they are popular right now so more people talking about them. Here in Canada they seem to sell wizard online cosco but the big shot in states...

For those that have cut and embossed with cuttlebug, does it cut through "nicely" regular size chipboard. hooked-2 says she can cut through cardboard from cereal boxes with the wizard and I am wondering if that is the thickness is the same for cuttlebug. I like idea of cutting regular chipboard, grunge board, foam, felt, shrink plastic etc...

oh I wish I had the funds for the inspiration- it looks amazing!!!! I find it very depressing that if I had 600.00 I could cut any shape I could draw or any font with a computerized system but these manual systems cost 65.00 per alphabet, very quickly adding up to as much or more... Does anyone else feel as frustrated in the confusing info out there for die cutting? I tried making a pro and con sheet but I have read so much conflicting info on all. And some people compare one vs another but cannot seem to find same info to compare various brand names...
I am in Canada, and I bought my BigKick at Michaels 40% off ... they also have a lot of dies available to purchase, and they seem to go on sale pretty regularly. You can also use other dies. I have cut regular (SU) chipboard, but had to use the thick sizzix dies for it to work. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I will get my gal friend in Vancouver to check at Michaels for cost comparison - thanks...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

One thing to note about the BigShot...it has been discontinued by Sizzix and replaced with the BigKick. They are essentially the same machine, the BigKick really only received a "facelift." It's a different color than the BigShot and looks slightly different, but the are the same size, etc. That could be a reason you are not finding a lot of info about the BigShot online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Like Kar, I am a Wizard fan. As for the carpal tunnel "problem", I have had both carpal tunnel and tennis elbow and the surgeries to correct them both. I actually took my Wizard into my orthopaedic surgeon to see what he thought. He said that it was really great therapy and that it wouldn't adversely affect me in any way and that was 1 month post surgery while I was still in therapy. I just hate to see people slam a machine by saying something like, "my friend said or I heard".

I don't own the other machines and I won't just arbitrarily bash them, but I have used them. For me, the Wizard is the best, based partly on the durability of the machine. I just naturally assumed that it would last me a lot longer considering that it is all metal construction, so I don't have to worry about shattering my plastic machine while I am trying to push the limits. I also liked the fact that it was the first machine designed to not only cut but emboss dies. The Spellbinders die are the best!

If all you know about this machine is that they designed the Nestabilities, you should go to their website and see what I'm talking about. They've had dies that nest since day 1, so this Nestability thing is not new to those of us that have had the Wizard for more than 6 months! If you are looking for something other than cutesy, then go there. Yes, they have their share of teddy bears and things like that, but unless you are really into cute, you will find more than you ever imagined in a die cut.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Owning both a Cuttlebug and a Wizard, I am totally sold on the versatility and power of the Wizard! I have the Fiskars texture plates (which I bought after I got my Cuttlebug), and never ended up using them, 'cause my 'bug was a little weak with them. Tried 'em in the Wizard and they worked GREAT! Plus, you can emboss just about ANYTHING with the Wizard! I've even embossed the pattern from the texture on a paper towel onto foil paper with the Wizard!! Can you tell I love mine??? It is da bomb!!
Wickedly Wonderful Creations
I'm a FREAK!! Check out the latest Control Freaks Blog Tour
2012-13 Stampin' Up Artisan Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Diecut machines

My favorite, hands down, is the Wizard. I bought the Sizzix when it came out and someone recently gave me a Cuttlebug, but I still love the Wizard the best! It encourages the creativity in me, in that instead of just using die, I use all sorts of textures and replicate metal items. The different mats and tan polymer helps me get just the right fit. If I am using die, I do love the Spellbinders die the best as the designs are just classier and the embossing capabilities put them in a league of their own. The Wizard is not as heavy, though it is made of sturdy metal and I have always appreciated the width of it for fitting things through and the pressure it exerts when I do crazy things like flattening spoons and pounding flowers. I also like to work with watercolor paper and with that, I can emboss on the Spellbinders die and then color with with watercolor. I know it is a hard decision and I would try to try out the machines if you have friends that have them....for me, it has been the Wizard ever since it first came out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Chiming in with my 2 cents . . .

If you want to be sure you get the best cut and emboss from the Spellbinders Nestabilities, then go with Spellbinders' Wizard machine. I had been using my Nesties in the Cuttlebug until recently and was a bit dissapointed with the embossing the CB gave with the Nesties. Once I tried the Wizard, I was totally sold and will be selling my Cuttlebug!!

One thing about the Wizard is that it is an all metal construction and WILL NOT break, nor will the cutting/embossing pads. I can't remember how many CB plates I've cracked, had to throw away and rebuy . . . never again with the Wizard!

If you are concerned about using your Cuttlebug dies in the Wizard, no worries there either since it is a universal machine and will accommodate any manufacturer's dies.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

wow- thanks for the further advice ladies. I have actaully looked at the wizard site and they have the most info of all three machines. So I am slightly familiar with their variety of dies. The nestabilities just excite the heck out of me LOL... As for the bog ****/ big kick, I was looking at the actual Sizzex site as my understanding is they have merged. If there is another better site for info, please let me know and I will be happy to go there. I have been reaading online for a solid week about these three machines and have saved all the comments/ info on a sheet. LOL- I think I may just ask my DH "honey, which do you think"? and I am sure he will say wizard as he is a practical tool kinda guy and does not care about cute.

Only other info I would love is experience from others on normal thickness shipboard or other thick materials like felt, cork, leather, ... If my options open with what I can emboss it would be nice if I am not limited by the material I emboss Maybe I can find the magical machine and maybe I will have to settle ... this is all so helpful though so thanks ladies {hugs}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 05:22 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without at doubt, I would go with the BIGkick. I have the BIGkick and the Cuttlebug both. I will exclude myself from the Nestabilities, as I've never seen them in any store in my area. Also from what I've read am not impressed (just my opinion). I love my BIGkick and find it works great for me. I can use any Sizzix die or embossing folder and also any Cuttlebug die or embossing folder. That suits my needs and wants. I'm a happy camper. Also BIGkick and Cuttlebug are only about $10 difference in price in my area. Can use a coupon on either and also they go on 40 or 50% off from time to time.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 06:51 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

I bought a Cuttlebug a month ago and just love it. Do not have any of the other machines. I went with the CB because of the low cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 06:58 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I love my Wizard. I have carpel tunnel and it does not bother it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

I'm a little biased, but I have to say that I am so impressed with the Wizard. I just got mine last week, and prior to that I had been using the Cuttlebug. My previous machines are a commercial Accucut machine and the old Red Sizzix.

I am tough on my die cut machines - I like to see what they can do. I put a massive crack in my Red Sizzix very early on, which really affected how the pressure was applied. I, like Sharon, have cracked a bunch of Cuttlebug B plates from trying to get the sandwiches right. The Wizard? It is amazing - it just doesn't quit. It is designed really well and actually applies beautiful, even pressure. It is one quality tool! It may not be as readily available as some of the other consumer models, but it is really worth it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

[QUOTE=Only other info I would love is experience from others on normal thickness shipboard or other thick materials like felt, cork, leather, ... If my options open with what I can emboss it would be nice if I am not limited by the material I emboss Maybe I can find the magical machine and maybe I will have to settle ... this is all so helpful though so thanks ladies {hugs}[/QUOTE]

Wizard + Leather = YES both die cut and emboss

I made a couple projects using thin leather, like a garment leather thickness. I'll attach a couple photo. Not sure you will see, but I embossed the leather with a Fiskar's Texture Plate "Lines" And then die cut and embossed the leather with Spellbinders Edgabilities dies. See how the edges are shaped like flowers. That's what the die creates. The flowers are embossed and then painted with some Jacqaurd paints.

Hope this helps,
Kar
Attached Thumbnails
HELP! comparing diecut/embossing machines-purple-daisy-purse-july-3x3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

wow- beautiful work kar!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by judyjrfmView Post
wow- beautiful work kar!
Thanks for the compliment. I had made another little leather pouch too, but couldn't find the image of it on my computer. (ggrr, I hate when DH backs-up and cleans off the computer... lol)

FYI, the Wizard and Spellbinders dies will also cut felt and thin cork as well as metal foil, cardstocks, thin chipboards (cearal box thickness), some shrink plastics, papers, thin balsa woods and probably a bunch of other materials that I am forgetting. The Wizard puts out the most pressure of all the machines on the market that I am aware of. As you probably can tell, I love my Wizard and Spellbinders Die Collection.

Hope this helps,
Kar
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for all the data ladies... I think my DH and I decided after a lot of reading and debate that the wizard is the best option for me. He likes the metal construction sna knows how much I like to play so he said "go durable"... Kar you were super helpful and I may have a few questions when i get the thing LOL ;)

I am super happy they all take each others dies so I can play with selection- as budget allows that is {cringe}

Just have to figure out best way to buy now, as no scrapbook stores here so I am going to have to get a friend in city to purchase for me or order online. So if anyone has tips on great deals please let me know. It looks like cosco carries it but not sure anyone else but one really expensive price at a scrapbook store down south... Also do you know if it comes as just the machine and then as a starter set?? Here is the cosco link if anyone else interested:

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10305485&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|20428|22208&N=4010246&Mo=41&No=3&ViewAll=42&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=22208&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&topnav=
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

oh and a note, DH had me use some of his tools last night ratchet style and crank and ratchet seemed better for me. When I got tired I could use my body instead of just wrist. Also as he pointed out, a lot of tools that are for great strength use ratchet technology like large winches. Yes some use cranks too but he thinks ratchet stronger so I am listening to my wise DH who 100% supports my scrapbooking addiction LOL...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2008, 02:28 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

This chart was on the Creating Keepsakes website- maybe this will help someone else start their research in comparing machines...

http://www.creatingkeepsakes.com/ima...iecut.chrt.pdf
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Check out Ellen Hutson's blog about Spellbinders new Xcaliber die cutting system coming out later this spring. It's motorized!

http://www.ellenhutson.typepad.com/

�Any time we can�t solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again.� ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

don't tell me these things- I just bought one LOL.... I am confused - it says THE FIRST MOTORIZED DIE CUTTING and EMBOSSING SYSTEM!!! but the Inspiration that i almost bought at Christmas but DH said "too much money" does that and more. But hey- I did not get the inspiration and for the future, this may be comparable to what I have researched on the other. thanks for bringing to my attention so I can put on future wish lists And at this point we have no idea how much moola either...

Last edited by judyjrfm; 01-29-2008 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichelleSGView Post
I hear that some people with carpel tunnel can't use the Wizard. Something about the cranking hurts. It also shoots the die out at the end. I have carpel tunnel and I own the Big Kick. Love it! I can use the huge dies, different brands and thick foams/papers with it.
That will no longer be an issue. Check out the picture I posted on my blog today of the upcoming, fully MOTORIZED diecut/embossing machine that Spellbinders is releasing!! It'll officially be announced on their website tomorrow (January 30, 200, but the picture is on my blog TODAY (the link is in my siggy line. The SB website link is:

http://www.spellbinders.us.http://ww...p?idAffiliate=
Wickedly Wonderful Creations
I'm a FREAK!! Check out the latest Control Freaks Blog Tour
2012-13 Stampin' Up Artisan Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes