Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heat Embossing Recomendations

I am on a strict no buy, so I am instead delving into research so that when I CAN spend, I will know exactly what I want and hopefully not regret the purchase. I wold love your opinion!!

I am considering heat embossing. My questions are to all of you wonderful SCSers: What are your must have heat embossing tools and accessories? Did you buy anything you regret? Is heat embossing a "fad" that will pass over? I am pretty new to the craft, and I have heard people warning not to get caught up in the latest and greatest sweep, but I am too new to know what is NEW and what is time tested.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Heat embossing was the first stamping technique I learned in my teens and I still love it. There are always new things to do with it it seems. Check out zindorf's gallery for some real beauties with clear embossing powder.

I'd say make sure you get an ultra fine clear and a good bright white and you can do a ton with just those two.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #3  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandblueView Post
Heat embossing was the first stamping technique I learned in my teens and I still love it. There are always new things to do with it it seems. Check out zindorf's gallery for some real beauties with clear embossing powder.

I'd say make sure you get an ultra fine clear and a good bright white and you can do a ton with just those two.
Thank you!

What do you like as your heat tool? Do you "need" an Embossing buddy type tool?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I have both the Stampin' Up! Guns and the Marvy pink one and they're all great. I'd go for the least expensive. I've never used the embossing buddy - I'm an impatient stamper if I get stray grains I just thump the back or move them with my fingernails!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 07:53 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Embossing pillow is certainly not necessary. Any heat gun will work fine, just know how to use it and where to hold it in relation to your project. Ultra fine embossing powder in black, silver, gold and copper is what I would recommend if those colors go with your style. I like dark colors like green, red, blue used on dark paper for a very impressive look. Pastels don't tend to show up very well. Clear is ok if you're only looking for a shiny look, but it really doesn't stand out all that well.

I feel it's best to use the same color ink as the embossing powder or at least close to get the most effect.

In my opinion, heat embossing is not a fad. It is a technique that can add a real elegance to your card without a lot of bulk or glitz. It's subtle, but noticable. I use it on almost every card in some way.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh my, heat embossing is one of THE coolest things ever!! The magic!! The powder melting before your eyes and drying in no time into this fabulous almost-glossy surface!!!

Yes... I admit it. . . heat embossing makes my heart beat just a smidge faster ;^) .

Now.. poetry aside! I say get a heat gun. Do NOT read the posts about people who use their toaster, LOL!! The Marvy heat gun is popular (it's what I have) and works great. Tim Holtz makes one called the "Heat-It" craft tool and it looks more like a compact hair dryer. I have heard that it doesn't blow quite as hard -- meaning it has less of a tendency to blow the powder around before it melts it. But with my Marvy gun, I simply let it blow away from the area I'm heating for a few seconds, so when I do direct it to my powder it is hot enough to melt it right away without blowing it around.

I recommend an embossing ink and Versamark makes a great one that you can buy all over the place and they also have "champagne" and "dazzle" that add some shimmer. Lots of factors for whether this is obvious or not in the final product. Get the standard embossing ink and you'll be happy!

You also want this ink to use as simply a watermark ink -- you can stamp with it and simply have what's stamped appear darker than the cardstock base. It's a great effect!

I recommend the "embossing buddy" or whatever people call it -- the little pillow with the static-resist powdery stuff in it. I think it makes a difference in prepping the surface so that you don't get stray dots of embossing. Years ago, as a tech illustrator, we used this and it was called "Pounce." It would prep the surface of a mylar vellum and help prevent pencil smears, too. Anyway - I think it's inexpensive enough to be a worthwhile investment.

For the powders... well there are a lot out there! First is clear. You'll want clear. Just to get that little-bit-darker and embossed-looking surface. Plus, you can use it with pigment inks -- they stay wet long enough to 'take' the embossing powder. I just started using a*muse ink in this way and it worked beautifully. I also like Tim Holtz e.p., and Zing! which comes in a great selection of beautiful colors. The basics: white, silver, black, maybe gold. . . all good standards to have. Too bad SU doesn't still have their copper e.p. or it would top my list!!

Can you tell I love embossing??! Especially if you are learning to add interest without bulk to your card designs. It's a style trend I am seeing more people aim for and embossing really fits the bill here.

Bottom line: Definitely NOT a fad!! I really feel it is one of the top techniques for stamping :^).

HTH!! Have fun and I think you are really off on the right foot trying to determine whether something is a passing fancy or here to stay. Good thinking! Welcome to stamping and to SCS!

HA! Can you believe I forgot something?!?!?! I HIGHLY recommend that you purchase a Inkssentials craft sheet. Here's a link to it:

http://www.ellenhutson.com/servlet/t...t-Sheet/Detail

This is a great surface for working with anything "heat." You can also use it as a palette for inks, etc. It is durable (not indestructible ;^) . . .ask me how I know!) and will protect your work surface from heat. Got some stray embossing powder melted and hardened on it?? It simply scrapes or peels right off. I wouldn't want to be without it and it's perfect for heat embossing.

Okay... that's it!!!

Last edited by Phantom; 04-23-2011 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: added
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I love embossing, so much so that I bought a bunch of embossing powder that I don't need and might not use - so, here's what I've learned:

Heat Gun - definitely get this. It is possible to get the powder to melt by holding it over the burner of an electric stove, etc., but it's a royal pain. And it's an actual pain if you get your fingers to close to the burner. I have one from Darice that I got with a coupon. Definitely worth the $$

Embossing Buddy - I have one, but usually forget to use it. If you use it on dark paper, it leaves a kind of powdery residue. I try to look over my piece before I melt the powder and use a soft brush to get rid of any powder flecks that are where they don't belong.

Powders - definitely get clear, white, black, gold, silver & copper. I'd probably try to get the detail powder if you're only getting one type; that's what I use the most for sentiments and line images, but they seem to work just fine for solid images as well. What you don't need are every color in the rainbow. You can get those if you need them for specific projects eventually. Some stampers will tell you that you really only need colored pigment ink and clear embossing powder, but there is a definite difference between the look of the colored ink with clear powder and using colored powder - especially on a dark background.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

Nancy, you are too cute! Thanks for all the advice and thoroughness!

I actually have a Versamark pad and LOVE it!! I use it to make a lot of my own backgrounds since I don't have a ton of pattern paper. I have also used it with pastel chalks that turned out pretty good. I don't have the craft mat, but I read somewhere that others have used those flexible silicone cookie sheet liners, and I do have one of those.

Thank you to everyone that has responded!

Does anyone have a brand of embossing powder that is either better than the competition or not worth buying?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

Cheryl, I am sorry I did not get to read your post before my last one. It is very helpful!

How are detail powders different?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Embossing products are a definite must have. The basic colors are good enough to start with. I also love ultra thick embossing powder. There are tutorials on how to use it and the finished affect it gives. When you're done it looks like glass, sort of. Check out UTEE tutorials and you'll see what I'm having difficulty describing. It's so easy and the finished affect is beautiful. I have a Marvy heat tool and a Ranger heat tool and they're both good. Look for coupons for your craft stores.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

*slaps forehead* Oh my UTEE!!!! Yes!!! LOL! Love that stuff!

Here are some magnets I made and covered with UTEE.
Attached Thumbnails
Heat Embossing Recomendations-002.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Those are beautiful. I really love the look of UTEE.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks -- I love it too! I've used it a bazillion times but don't have photos of much. I did find these necklaces in my gallery though:

Sun Necklace

Daffodil Pendant

You get a little bit of the look of crystal lacquer but without the painful drying time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

What a great idea. They really turned out great.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Caitlyn, that's great that you've tried the Chalkboard Technique with pastels -- that is so pretty.

I also wanted to mention these techniques to you:

Embossing Resist

and

Emerging Color

If you haven't already, be sure to check out the 'resources' link at the top of the page for lots of fun techniques!

And in an attempt to answer your question about "detailed" e.p. . . . I believe it is finer and therefore will cover thinner lines allowing you to emboss more detailed images more clearly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
And in an attempt to answer your question about "detailed" e.p. . . . I believe it is finer and therefore will cover thinner lines allowing you to emboss more detailed images more clearly.

Correct! I have some images that lose a lot of detail when I try embossing them with regular powder but look great with detail powder. And I haven't found any that look worse with detail, so if I was only getting one type, I'd get the detail.

As far as getting only one type - HAH! If only I could limit myself to just one type of anything!!!

And an answer to the question about brands - a lot of my powder is Stampendous - sold at Michaels - and I'm happy with it. I also have some Zing and like it. One thing you probably want to stay away from for now are Tim Holtz Distress Embossing Powder. They are more for special techniques - they're made so that parts of them don't melt and you brush that off later (to give a distressed look), and if you're expecting regular pretty shiny embossing, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Last edited by cbet; 04-23-2011 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL, Cheryl!! Isn't it nice that we're all in this together?!

thanks for corroborating on the detail powder. . . I wasn't 100% on that!!! ;^)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 367 Likes on 269 Posts

I don't think I saw mention of it here...a "tiddy tray" that catches all the stray embossing powder when you tap it off before you use your heat gun....not worth it in my opinion! It's hard to keep clean..it ends up combining different powders so you don't get a clean return of your powder to the jar...I use a plain piece of paper, folded in half both ways and tap my excess in this. The folds make it easy to return the extra powder to your jar. "Tiddy tray".....waste of $$. I love embossing but don't use it as much as I once did ...and to those people who don't know much about stamping...well they think you've performed magic
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I agree. Don't like the tidy tray and never use it. A piece of paper works much better.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Tidy tray - Yuck!!! I had blocked that horrid thing from my mind.

Although even better than the folded piece of paper is a coffee filter. I don't know why, but those things develop no static and embossing powder will not stick to them at all. It's almost a little weird.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2011, 12:50 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,063 Likes on 818 Posts

It may be that there's a heat gun in your DIY tools already? I know they're hotter than a dedicated craft heat gun, but that's what I use. From time time (usually if I'm doing multiple layers of EP on white card and scorch it ) I think I should get a craft one, but 95% it does me fine. Just suggesting it in case there's already one in the tool box and it would save you buying it till later one.
I'd love to find a good bright white EP as Lydia suggests. Any time I try using it for split negative technique the three different ones I have tried all look creamier than my white card :-(.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2011, 03:09 AM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 590 Likes on 242 Posts

I'm sure everyone said buy a good heat gun, not a coupon special from M's. You will use it for more than heat embossing. It's great for setting pigment inks, shrink plastic, shrink wrap on gifts and more. Do not skimp on this tool -- it will last for years.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2011, 06:55 AM   #23  
Ted
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
*slaps forehead* Oh my UTEE!!!! Yes!!! LOL! Love that stuff!

Here are some magnets I made and covered with UTEE.
Those are beautiful! Well done!

I need to practice more with UTEE. I've tried it once and wasn't too impressed...but I think that it was MY skills that didn't impress me. ;)

Inkterior Design - Thanks for checking out my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedView Post
Those are beautiful! Well done!

I need to practice more with UTEE. I've tried it once and wasn't too impressed...but I think that it was MY skills that didn't impress me. ;)
UTEE is kind of funny stuff. Your first coat will always look kind of bumpy and uneven; it's the multiple coats that get you the nice thick glass look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

this thread inspired me to do some heat embossing yesterday and I thought I'd mention that it is VERY IMPORTANT to unplug your heat tool when not in use. There are stories of fires -- I think more than once because of cats! The simple toggle switch allows it to be accidentally switched on pretty easily -- it can be safely placed but then get bumped and knocked over. I never leave the room without unplugging mine.

Ted, I've used UTEE two different ways. To start, I have a disposable storage container that has a clip on lid. I keep UTEE in the container and the lid has raised edges so I set the item I'm heating in it. I'll take a photo later.

I press the item into the Versamark pad, then press it into pile of UTEE, take it out and put it in the lid, and apply heat. If you're fast (and don't mind the occasional burned finger. . . just a little ;^) !!) . . . you can pick up the piece and press it immediately back into the UTEE without having to reapply Versamark. As long as the first UTEE layer hasn't cooled yet - it has to be wet. But you have the option, and it's more of a sure thing for the second layer at least, to let it cool (takes very little time) and then reapply Versamark, then UTEE again. I typically do three or four layers. You'll know what you like when you see it.

If you miss a spot, you can use the heat tool judiciously to re-melt and 'push around' the UTEE. This can be tricky -- too hot and it will bubble.

On one magnet, I liked the sort of bumpy effect after, I think one, maybe two, applications so left it like that. It's the floral in this picture.

HTH!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
UTEE is kind of funny stuff. Your first coat will always look kind of bumpy and uneven; it's the multiple coats that get you the nice thick glass look.
heehee -- we were typing at the same time ;^) !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #27  
Ted
Kookie Creator

Thanks, Cheryl and Nancy!

I'm thinking that tweezers may be useful here! ;) (at least with paper items).

Inkterior Design - Thanks for checking out my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #28  
Inking Addict

Wow. I never realized there were so many types of powders. I guess I should have because of all the various types of other tools and products (stamps, inks, glues….) I will defiantly have to check out the UTEE. The artwork ya’ll have on here is beautiful. I think for $$ sake, I should start with the detail powder because it sounds more flexible—like I could use it for more stamps because it is good for thinner lines. Let me know if anyone has a better idea

Nancy- thanks for the links. The emerging color looks really neat. I think that a brayer is working it’s way up my wish list. It seems like a very flexible tool that is used in several techniques. I did a bit of searching and the color fade stuff that some can do is gorgeous.

Cheryl- thanks for the brand info and heads up on the detail powder

It is nice to hear that the “tidy tray” is not worth it. I had suspicions that it would not be, so thanks everyone for bringing it up!

Mary Beth—you mention not to get a heat gun with a coupon from Ms’, could you suggest one that you like and think is a good investment? Do you have any specific reason or experience? I love getting opinions

Thanks everyone for your continued input!! I really love all the feedback and you have been a terrific help!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2011, 03:17 AM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 590 Likes on 242 Posts

I recommend the good one sold by Stampin Up! It's made by Milwaukee, a tool company. I've heard the Tim Holtz/Ranger one is good, too. The cheaper ones will be dead when the drop a few times and tend to overheat much more easily than the better quality ones.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2011, 02:15 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Love embossing! Instead of the "pouch" to stop static and powder where you don't want it- use a used dryer sheet- just rub it across your area to be embossed. I also keep paint brushes close by to brush away unwanted powder before I heat. I have all different widths depending on how much smudge I need to brush away. NEVER buy a tidy tray unless you start beading. Use a magazine page folded in half, then throw it away- you never have to worry about "party" color powder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #31  
Inking Addict

Thanks Mary Beth!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinoviceView Post
Love embossing! Instead of the "pouch" to stop static and powder where you don't want it- use a used dryer sheet- just rub it across your area to be embossed. I also keep paint brushes close by to brush away unwanted powder before I heat. I have all different widths depending on how much smudge I need to brush away. NEVER buy a tidy tray unless you start beading. Use a magazine page folded in half, then throw it away- you never have to worry about "party" color powder.
Where did you get this original information? Do you know of a source that proves this theory? The reason I ask is I seen a very convincing Stampbusters episode that proved (to me) that it would not work so well, but if you have a better resource I would love to hear it!! Here is the link. I also like some of the other Stambuster episodes

Stampbusters Episode 4: Embossing Pals � Where The Rubber Hits The Road
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caitlyn JordanView Post
I am on a strict no buy, so I am instead delving into research so that when I CAN spend, I will know exactly what I want and hopefully not regret the purchase. I wold love your opinion!!

I am considering heat embossing. My questions are to all of you wonderful SCSers: What are your must have heat embossing tools and accessories? Did you buy anything you regret? Is heat embossing a "fad" that will pass over? I am pretty new to the craft, and I have heard people warning not to get caught up in the latest and greatest sweep, but I am too new to know what is NEW and what is time tested.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!
This info might be of help:
PaperFriendly: Embossing Powder Candy Store

As far as the gun...I don't recommend a Milwaukee. Those guns are basically a paint stripper and reach heat levels far beyond any needed to melt EP. Ironically, I did get one, and it lasted the shortest time of any I've had. When I need to buy a gun, I get the cheapest one available...and they're lasted for a long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 04:46 AM   #33  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I've used UTEE and like it but if you are on a strict budget and don't heat emboss now, I'd say don't buy it yet. It can be one of the products you pull out once in a while. Spend your money on just the basics and see if you even like heat embossing.

I use my embossing buddy every time I emboss and I store it in an Altoid can. I keep my buddy in my embossing tray (not the tidy tray) along with a cheapie paint brush that I use to clean up any run away powder. I never forget to use my buddy because every thing is all in one place.

I also bought a box of wax paper sandwich sheets at Costco. A box lasts a long time. I use the sheets when I embossing multiple colors on one project.

You might also want to consider using a clipboard to hold your project when embossing. They are inexpensive and will protect your worksurface and your fingers from buring. You can get a small one for a couple of bucks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=Caitlyn Jordan;18237244]I am on a strict no buy, so I am instead delving into research so that when I CAN spend, I will know exactly what I want and hopefully not regret the purchase. I wold love your opinion!!

I am considering heat embossing. My questions are to all of you wonderful SCSers: What are your must have heat embossing tools and accessories? Did you buy anything you regret?

Here's another use for EP:

PaperFriendly: MAKE IT EASY: RECYCLED WOOD BLOCKS AND CLEARSNAP STYLE STONES

I don't think Style Stones are still on the market, but chipboard shapes (rectangels, squares, etc.), dominoes, or small wood shapes can be substituted for this technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

I didnt read all of the replies so i might be repeating someone else. I use a small paintbrush to wipe away any stray powder that sticks to the paper. Michaels has a good embossing ink pad I use a lot it is made by Craftsmart. Its only six bucks and comes with a bottle to reink the pad. Seems like some papers you need the embossing buddy and others you dont. I haven't quite figured that out yet!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Just wanted to say that I bought a Martha Stewart heat tool and was very disappointed with it. At first I thought I'd bought a wonky (technical term!) batch of embossing powder, but sadly not. The tool takes forever to melt the powder and even then doesn't do it evenly. :mad:

I'm in the market for something much faster and more powerful so suggestions welcome!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 06:07 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ladies.....Be sure to let your heat gun warm up before taking it to the paper. It may take even 30-45 seconds before it reaches the right temp to melt the embossing powder. Don't just turn it on and point to your paper, give it a chance to heat up first.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #38  
Glitter Queen

Default Wish I had gotten the Stampin Up Heat Tool and not the Marvy from Michaels...

Well, I thought I'd done my research before buying my heat tool and decided to go with the Marvy Uchida one from Michaels at 50% off. Tried to use it for the first time today to make UTEE embossed butterflies for a card I was working on. The first butterfly came out perfect and I was thrilled with my new purchase, but then, when I tried to do the 2nd layer of UTEE on the 2nd butterfly, my Marvy heat tool just died. I let it cool down and tried it again, even tried plugging it into another socket, but nope, it's really dead. I will be taking it back to Michaels for a refund and will be biting the bullet to get the Stampin Up one. The Marvy is a dud and I'm just not willing to take a chance on another one that may die right out of the box while I'm in the middle of a project.

Alanna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 06:20 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to have a Heat It Up heat gun, it works fine but is quite loud.It was a long blue one. I replaced it with a HEAT IT gun, which sounds like the same brand, but it isn't. This one is white, shaped like a normal hairdryer, and is really quiet- this can be an issue if you are crafting & there are other people in the same room.It is really, really good, and has lasted me years so far.
Regarding the embossing buddy, you have two other options: Used tumble drier sheets will de-static your card/paper, or you can make your own by putting talc or cornstarch into a small sock and tying in a knot.Both do the job well enough. A fine tipped paintbrush, and careful checking will remove any odd specks.
Definitely agree with the Detail powders-you can loose too much image clarity otherwise. Most of my powders are Stampendous Stamp n Stuff, no complaints about them at all. Really wide range of colours and effects.
You can add glitter to embossing powder to make your own sparkly EP- you use more EP than glitter so it sticks well, and heating from below the image, rather than above does stop a lot of stray glitter or flecks of powder.I bought some empty nail art pots from e-bay to store my mixes in.
In general, you can use clear detail on any coloured ink- worth going with this approach to be sure you enjoy the technique. You can build up your collection of powders if you want at a later date. If you go with coloured powders, you can also mix these to give you darker/paler colours.
For initial starting, I would say: Clear, Gold & Silver detail. I always stamp in black & emboss with clear. I tried black EP,but I always miss at least one stray speck, and its always in an obvious place!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #40  
Kookie Creator

I'm on my 2nd Stampin UP embossing gun the frist one I bought over 15 years ago and it was still working GREAT when if got lost in our last move and I still have hopes of finding it when I clean out the garage. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new SU one! The embossing buddy is a must have tool, for embossing powders I use detail powders I have black, white, gold, silver and clear, Versamark is the ONLY embossing ink I will use. To emboss in color I ink my stamp with versarmark first then the color ink, stamp and emboss with clear detail.
Reply With Quote Likes