Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-27-2008, 05:42 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having trouble with Basic Grey magnetic closures

I've been making gift boxes of cards like this one in my Etsy shop:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=16428256

I used the Basic Grey magnetic closures to keep the flap on the box closed. I had three of these boxes at a recent craft fair and discovered that unless you know to very, very carefully and gently open the flaps to separate the two magnets, the top flap will just rip off the magnet. I started out using the large ones and then switched to the small ones but it's not any better.

I tried using sticky strip for adhesive but that didn't help. Now I'm experimenting with my E6000 industrial-strength glue, but is there anything I'm missing to get these to work better?

Last edited by chanteuse; 11-27-2008 at 05:50 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 05:53 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I don't know that it's the adhesive - I think the magnet's are a little *too* powerful to hold up on cardstock. KWIM? I've been using little velcro dots, but they tend to pull away as well. I think I might go back to using a photo turn to keep the flaps closed. I've been selling the same sort of sets on Etsy, and I think yours is super pretty!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 06:15 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Hm. I wondered about that - thought maybe with more layers or sturdier cardstock I'd have more luck.

If they aren't made for cardstock, what *are* they made for? ;)

I may have to try the photo turn idea - that's a good suggestion. Thanks for the compliment - I'd love to see your Etsy shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 06:22 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by chanteuseView Post
Hm. I wondered about that - thought maybe with more layers or sturdier cardstock I'd have more luck.

If they aren't made for cardstock, what *are* they made for? ;)

I may have to try the photo turn idea - that's a good suggestion. Thanks for the compliment - I'd love to see your Etsy shop!
The only suggestion I have is to somehow try to brace your flap - but I don't know with what. Maybe a piece of chipboard or piece of stencil plastic cut to size. These are ideas I have been toying around with.

Honestly, I'm not sure what they are for! LOL. When I think of basic grey I think of scrapbooking, and I was never really sure what BG intended for the snaps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by chanteuseView Post
I used the Basic Grey magnetic closures to keep the flap on the box closed. I had three of these boxes at a recent craft fair and discovered that unless you know to very, very carefully and gently open the flaps to separate the two magnets, the top flap will just rip off the magnet. I started out using the large ones and then switched to the small ones but it's not any better.

I tried using sticky strip for adhesive but that didn't help. Now I'm experimenting with my E6000 industrial-strength glue, but is there anything I'm missing to get these to work better?
Suggested solution #1 -- increase the strength and density of the surface your magnet is adhered to:
I had the exact same issues with some magnets I made using those decorative clear glass pebbles. I didn't use Basic Grey snaps for those, but some of those super-strong flat small magnets. I glued stamped cardstock to the pebble using Diamond Glaze, then glued the magnet to the cardstock using the same adhesive. It all dried up just fine and with a very strong bond, but some of the magnets stuck together as I picked them up, and when I pulled them apart, the pebble came free and the flat magnet with some cardstock stuck to it were left on the other magnet. The force keeping the magnets together was stronger than the force keeping the cardstock layers together!! I glued the magnet and paper layer back onto its pebble using Diamond Glaze again -- essentially glued the magnet to cardstock reinforced and saturated with Diamond Glaze -- and haven't had a problem since.

Suggested solution #2 -- weaken the strength of attraction between the magnets:
You could try covering one or both of the magnet halves with a layer of copy paper, patterened paper, thinner cardstock, then SU/PTI weight cardstock until you find a combination that will still let the magnet halves keep the box closed, but will interfere with the attraction enough that they won't rip your project apart when you open it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the suggestions, Melanie. I will keep playing around with this - I'm determined to make it work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 07:32 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Okay, check out this post because it shows step-by step how to prevent that from happening.
http://blog.ginakdesigns.com/2008/11...iew-day-3.aspx

I hope that helps!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 03:50 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
Okay, check out this post because it shows step-by step how to prevent that from happening.
http://blog.ginakdesigns.com/2008/11...iew-day-3.aspx

I hope that helps!
Awesome Gina!! Works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 05:19 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

That is brilliant, Gina! Thank you!! I am going to try this today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 05:59 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I've had trouble with velcro and magnets being too strong for cardstock too so I started making my own. I use a 1/2" or 3/4" circle punch and punch from those magent sheets I've been getting free, stuck to phonebook etc with advertising. They are thin enough to punch out. I've not had any problem but but if you are worried about ruining your punch you may want to invest in a cheaper one for this. I've seen magnet sheets at the craft stores but not sure if they are as thin besides the advertising ones are free They are just right for closures on post-it note covers and card boxes. I also use them for holding my nestabilities in place. Free IS good.
Reply With Quote Likes